Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

IC rates going down to poverty levels - What do you think?

Posted: Oct 18th, 2019 - 1:23 am

I just have to start a conversation about the trend of rates going down to poverty level.  Now I know that a lot of you live in areas where a lot of jobs are not available and there are all kinds of reasons why people need to or want to work from home, but the rates I see these IC companies going to down to are absurd and poverty level.  All of you who have been doing this as long as me or longer (15+ years) know how much education it takes to be good at this job.  Quite frankly, this is a semi-professional job and yet it is treated as and now being paid as if it were unskilled labor.  I filled out an application for a job on Indeed the other day that advertised “competitive rates” only to be sent a follow-up email to fill out some additional questions.  They were offering 5.5 cents a line to type and either 2.5 or 3 cents a line to edit.  I told them they said their rates were competitive and yet they are offering less than anything prior to editing was in existence.  I cannot live on this kind of money where I live and I’m not going to do a job like this for that kind of money, end of conversation.  This semi-professional job has never had the respect it deserves and that is one of the reasons I did not support AAMT as they did next to nothing to further the perspective of employers.  

I do not care what kind of reasons you have to want to or need to work from home, but we have all just got to refuse to work for these companies.  IC companies save a ton of money by not putting people on staff and providing benefits and their rates have traditionally been about 20% above the rates for on-staff companies because they do not have to pay taxes, pay social security, pay for benefit programs and/or provide equipment for their employees.  The idea that they are offering less money to work for them than a full-service employer is offensive.  

I’d like to hear other opinions on what you think about this trend of lowering pay rates to poverty levels and if anyone else has any good ideas. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)