Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

My two cents - nn

Posted: Oct 18th, 2019 - 9:42 am In Reply to: IC rates going down to poverty levels - What do you think?

There are a lot of my, myself included, that have been in this business a long time. I have been working from home, really even before there was such a thing. When I started working from home (local lady), it was using cassette tapes and a tape player. No foot pedals back then. I started working for services then, and in my heyday, I was making 15 cents a line tops. Now, because I am single and in my mid-60s, I have to work 3 jobs in order to be able to stagger paychecks and to keep a relatively steady source of income flowing. Two of the companies I work for are small, and don't have a high turnover rate and one company it's 7 cpl, another 7.5 -- that is 2 and 2.5 cpl MORE as an IC, than I was making when I first started working from home. My third job is with a lady who has her own accounts, and I type for one doctor exclusively at 8 cpl, but no work when the doctor decides to take a vacation, etc.

I'm at the point with my age (just turned 64), and the state of my health now, that it's next to impossible for me to find a job outside of the home. I'm also on early SS, which covers my rent, but nothing more.

I'm burned out and the "work harder/faster" excuse is getting REALLY old. I type as fast as my very worn out body will allow and I find it sickening that I have to work 6-7 days a week to make a livable wage in order to keep a roof over my head and food on the table.

Those MTSOs with their huge homes, 10 cars, etc. need to consider that it is their force of "worker bees," who allow them to stay in business, and pay us a wage that is comparable to our knowledge and skill set.

There are MTs who have spoken of unionizing, but that is not the solution either. The unions, during their time, were useful, but they too, have pretty much changed and no longer tend to benefit the worker.

We are human beings and not machines and I know the next time I go in to see my doctor, I am going to tell him how much pain I am in and the reasons behind that pain -- having to sit for 10-12 hours a day 6-7 days a week. Do the math. We have to work twice as long as far as hours are concerned to HOPEFULLY bring home $400 or thereabouts a week.

These companies have us between a rock and a hard place for sure and it was offshoring and outsourcing which started this whole mess and the thinking of "we can get a quality product for so much less money." Again, the ALMIGHTY dollar at play!

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)