Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: gall bladder surgery.. (Views: 55)

Yeahhh....no - Backwoods Typist

Posted: Feb 29th, 2016 - 12:17 am In Reply to: Getting back into MT - Tina

Getting back into MT would be the worst decision you could make. Things have gotten worse since you have left. Unless you know how to live on nearly nothing but minimum wage or have other income or spouse/partner/significant other with a good job, it is NOT worth the effort. Been working at home for N for over 2 years now, transcribing for nearly 10 and this is the worst I have ever been treated.

These companies no longer care about their employees. They now treat you as an expendable object, your replacement just an application away. My hospital was bought out by N a couple years ago and my pay is pitiful compared to what I used to make. My take-home pay was less than 14k for progressive part time (minimum 30 hours, up to 39). This is compared to 30k+ at the hospital. If it were not for me being married and hubby have a decent job, things would be pretty bad. Gone are the days of being able to make a livable wage doing MT.

Companies now expect you to have very little inactive time and give practically no time for learning curve at all. They expect us to do learning modules, Fiesa, etc. on our own time, so basically you only get paid if you are actively typing in a report. That is ridiculous for the amount of work we have to do as far as research, proofing our work, etc. They use dirty tricks to cut pay from your paycheck, which is already pretty small. Also be prepared to feel like the most inept transcriptionist....ever. Nothing is good enough for them.

If you like working on the computer, you might want to consider coding, billing or even consider learning something in IT if you love computers. There are multiple avenues you can take in IT and not have to deal with people face to face. I went back to school and will be done this May with my Associate's and will be working with my school's career folks to work on a way out, getting them to help me revamp my resume and help me with some interview tips.

Whatever you decide is ultimately up to you, but I would advise against what you have in mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)