Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

No one will like this thought and most will adamantly disagree, but - echomt

Posted: Nov 11th, 2015 - 3:47 pm In Reply to: MT employers controlled and inhibited MTs by not respecting credentials - Coders have greater income potential and job secur

there are 2 things everyone needs to understand about credentials/degrees.

The first is this: Just because one has a degree doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.

The second is this: Just because one doesn't have a degree does not mean they can't be conversant in the subject matter.

I have always and will always disagree with the idea we ever needed credentials to be respected as MTs. What we need and have always needed is the audacity to insist on confronting those with the degrees with their own fallibility. The MT has always been the one in the background who was there to make sure the high and mighty doctor actually got it right. The doctor doing the dictation (you know - the one with the degree) has always been the one causing the vast majority of the problems with accuracy and timeliness of healthcare documentation. Had we insisted and persisted in making them continually aware of how often they screw up, the often egregious nature of their screw-ups, and the ways in which we protect their patients and them from themselves, we wouldn't be in the spot we are currently in with our profession. We should have all along been using their egos against them instead of allowing them to wallow in their own arrogance at our expense.

As far as I'm concerned, the only true value in credentials exists in our societal delusion about the value and meaning of a credential. Therefore, the only reason to support the idea of MTs getting a credential of any kind would be to take advantage of our universal societal delusion that a credential actually guarantees the credibility and knowledge base of its holder. It doesn't!

A degree means its holder has successfully completed (perhaps fairly and perhaps not) extensive training and instruction in a particular area of study or expertise. The degree does not guarantee that its holder is applying or will apply that knowledge and training appropriately in any or all circumstances. The medical community is a good example of this reality, and I don't need a degree to be able to see where they fall short and/or be able to point their error(s) out and correct it/them. The proof of the error and the validity of its correction lies solely in the substance of each. Having a degree has nothing to do with preventing the former or being qualified to administer the latter, except of course in the mind of the one with the degree, i.e., the one screwing it up in the first place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)