Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: SoftScript.. (Views: 42)

I disagree...we disrespected ourselves - Starzzz

Posted: Nov 6th, 2015 - 6:23 pm In Reply to: MT employers controlled and inhibited MTs by not respecting credentials - Coders have greater income potential and job secur

by letting others make the decisions for us. We SHOULD NEVER HAVE ALLOWED grandfathering CMT credentials for anyone. This essentially invalidated that credential for everyone. I remember in the 1980s people who were awful transcriptionists were given the CMT credential (because we had a new chapter of AAMT in my area and they let anyone with 10+ years of experience have the CMT certification. I earned my credential and it never earned any respect or compensation. Why should it? Ever see a nurse or a coder get certified simply by doing the actual job for 10 years? See how ridiculous that sounds? One of the big reasons our field is not respected is because we did not want to offend anyone. I remember hearing things like "it doesn't matter if you are typing progress notes or operative reports...it is all transcription. Hogwash! We should have had levels of transcription like the nurses (and I believe coders have as well). You can take a 6-week CNA course and then work in that field while you complete your RN schooling. We should have had an entry-level transcription credential as well as more advanced credentials all the way up to and including ESLs and acute care setting experience. I have finally given up on this field as far as being able to retire from it (I probably will need to work another 10 years) but I do not think coding would be for me, not because I think it will be outsourced (which incidentally I do think it will) but because I do not want to sit on my butt for 8 hours anymore. Sorry about any typos or grammatical mistakes, I am not going to proofread this, my lunch break is over. Have a nice evening all! Sorry for the rant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)