Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

low expectations - all smiles

Posted: Oct 8th, 2015 - 8:03 pm In Reply to: I think there was a lot of that uninvolved parent - thing going on in our generation. (sm)

Most of us are in the 45-60 age group.

You are probably not recalling what it was like when we were of job age (18 and up). The only jobs available for women at that time were teacher, secretary, nurse.

I wanted and tried to get into medical technology. Only for the guys. At that time only 33% of med school acceptances were female.

The only job I could get was MT. I tried working audiology but the field is dying and the colleagues are cut throat. Really cut throat.

So, I'm back to MT.

If I had been able to get into those so called "male" positions (medical lab tech, etc.) I'd be better off now.

But, those jobs weren't open to women in the 1970s and 1980s. Didn't open up until the 1990s, when I was near 40.

So, don't just blame the parents. It was society too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)