Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

Take Care - Meh

Posted: Oct 8th, 2015 - 5:34 pm In Reply to: I think there was a lot of that uninvolved parent - thing going on in our generation. (sm)

My parents "took care" of me materially and that's all they did and don't realize that, so they think I've had it easy. I'm not sure if it's something with our generation (middle age), however. It seems I've been seeing more of this on Dr Phil, parents who don't really parent but let their kids live at home and mooch. Financial enablers. I've never had any opportunity to even work for my parents. If they had me involved for even a couple of years, I'd probably be better off, although they would probably think that I have it harder because, in their view, having to work makes life harder. Some parents just don't know how to parent, I guess. It's hard to feel angry at them because they didn't try to screw you over on purpose, yet I do feel sort of angry about it, much like parents who physically abuse a child might feel angry, yet those parents might purposely try to mess the child up. I think if one were to ask about the upbringing of doctors versus people who get into MTs as a profession, it's more likely that those who become doctors had more involved parenting and/or parents who didn't financially enable their kids. After all, why be an MT when you can be a doctor? Unless you just have limited opportunities or emotional problems from a lack of guidance. Another thing is I was taught to spend. I remember being asked "Do you want to buy something?" and never "How are you doing in school?" or "It's time you go get a job." So I guess being asked "Do you want to buy something?" means I always got what I wanted, at least that's what my mother believes, and that my life has been too easy. Anyway, there's always a lot of griping on this MT forum, so I thought I'd air it here. I had low or no expectations of me and no guidance, which is probably why I currently work at Nuance and got into this field recently (unlike most others who have been in this field for a long time and find pay got lower and lower). Since I started out with nothing like a waif, I guess my complaint isn't about being an MT per se, but about long-term lack of quality of life largely due to childhood emotional neglect. I don't think anybody who's had a "normal life" would get into MT today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)