A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medial and lateral malleolus/malleoli - Ortho

Posted: Mar 04, 2012

If a doc says medial and lateral malleolus, should it be changed to medial and lateral malleoli?

Thank you for your help!

I would since talking about 2 malleoli not 1 malleolus - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Thank you - I keep second guessing myself :) - nm - Ortho

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

nothing to indicate more than one malleolus - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
medial and lateral describe position: My head hurts in the middle and on the side. It's still one head.

Ah, okay. Maybe that is why I kept second guessing! I understand now. TY! :) nm - Ortho

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

there are three malleoli, medial, lateral and posterior - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
But I thought medial/lateral/posterior are simply location terms -nm - Ortho
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
here's a dictionary explanation - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Malleolus (Latin, "small hammer") is the bony prominence on each side of the ankle.

Each leg is supported by two bones, the tibia on the inner side (medial) of the leg and the fibula on the outer side (lateral) of the leg.

The medial malleolus is the prominence on the inner side of the ankle, formed by the lower end of the tibia.

The lateral malleolus is the prominence on the outer side of the ankle, formed by the lower end of the fibula.

The posterior is listed below in previous post, hope that - clears that up, nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Is it essentially two bones, the ends of the tibia and fibula? - sm - Ortho
[ In Reply To ..]
In other words, should it have been medial and lateral malloli? I got the analogy with the head and house explanations, but now I'm just utterly confused.
malleoli* - whoops! :) - nm - Ortho
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Again, there are 3 malleoli, see above - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
those analogies do not apply here, - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The medial and lateral malleoli are two different malleoli. Obviously those analogies were given to you without the poster(s) having any knowledge of what they were talking about.

no, incorrect - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Medial and lateral malleolus simply describes locations on the malleolus. There is nothing to suggest there is more than one malleolus. It's like saying "we need to paint the the middle and side of the house".

lateral malleolus (distal fibula) medial malleolus (distal tibia) - posterior malleolus, sm

[ In Reply To ..]
is the posterior aspect of the distal tibia

Medial and lateral - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Medial and lateral ARE directional terms, so this could be referring to 2 locations on one malleolus, but it is not likely.

It makes more sense for this to be the medial malleolus and the lateral malleolus, i.e., two malleoli, one on each side of the ankle, which are called by those same names.

Foe this to be one malleolus, you would need to be talking about the medial ASPECT and the lateral ASPECT of EITHER the medial malleolus or the lateral malleolus. Less likely, but possible.

All 3 malleoli are named as such as they all 3 - have different locations, nm

[ In Reply To ..]

agree 100% - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
In terms of injuries, an examiner would check all three malleoli to determine:
singular malleolus injury (fracture), bimalleolar injury (fracture) or trimalleolar injury (fracture).

In terms of surgery, a surgeon may refer to different locations on a singular malleolus even if performing repair of a bimalleolar or trimalleolar fracture.

Context is important to understanding the correct term to use.

Thank you everyone for the input! Much appreciated!! - nm - Ortho

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

when stating two or more of same item joined with the word and - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
use the plural term:
the medial and lateral malleoli are...
the medial malleolus is...
the lateral malleolus is...
the medial, lateral and posterior malleoli are

when using the word or, use the singular term:
but neither the medial nor lateral malleolus is malpositioned

pain in both the right and left knee(s) - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Neither construction would be incorrect in the example above. In this case, I would transcribe it the way the doctor said it.

Another way to referee this kind of question is to google the phrase in quotes, like this: "medial and lateral malleolus". If you try this technique with malleolus or malleoli, you get almost an equal number of google hits.

link: https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS248&q=copd+%22O2+updrafts%22&oq=copd+%22O2+updrafts%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1141l9891l0l10172l22l20l0l11l0l0l312l1187l0.1.3.1l5l0#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS248&source=hp&q=%22medial+and+lateral+malleolus%22&pbx=1&oq=%22medial+and+lateral+malleolus%22&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=11016l11422l4l11688l3l3l0l0l0l1l204l594l0.1.2l3l0&gs_l=serp.3..0.11016l11422l4l11688l3l3l0l0l0l1l204l594l0j1j2l3l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=61247c440b66684c&biw=1024&bih=604

Similar Messages:

Is There A Lateral Bending View Knee X-ray? "AP, Lateral, Sunrise
Feb 15, 2012

x ...

Meatal Or Medial
Nov 16, 2009

They seem to both make sense, which would you go with?   Nasoendoscopy is performed which demonstrates scarring of the left middle turbinate to the [medial or meatal] wall of the maxillary sinus. ...

L5 DPR Medial Branch
Oct 20, 2011

Ok, brain's gone to mush.  What's DPR stand for in the context of lumbar spine?  Thanks so much!   ...

Medial Femoral Condyle
Mar 16, 2011

s/l demon in his medial femoral condyle with areas of osteochondral defect and cartilaginous loss noted...  Any help is appreciated!!!! ...

Pt With Medial Meniscus Tear.
Jun 07, 2011

Patient likes to wear flip flops, however, I recommended that she go to a s/l Vinza shoe and has a 1/4" lateral shoe wedge placed on the outside under the outer sole.  TIA NM ...

Test For Medial Meniscus Tear
Feb 25, 2011

Laundry list of tests including s/l Kessler/Tesler/Pesler test. Any ideas?   ...

Fast-Fix S/L Pledgit - In Gap Between MCL And Medial Meniscus Sm
Sep 10, 2013

Ultrasound done today shows a fast-fix PLEDGET in the gap between the MCL and the medial meniscus.   THANKS SO MUCH!! ...

Triac Tear Of Medial Meniscus?
Oct 30, 2014

My ortho doc says "I do believe he has had a new (sounds like triac) tear of his medial meniscus".  I cannot find in doing a search triad tear.  Don't know if he is meadning trimalleolar tear either? ...

Surgical Note For A Medial Meniscus Tear
Oct 26, 2009

This is a surgical note for a medial meniscus tear.  The doctor is very fast, very soft, and has a slight southern twang.  Any suggested would be greated appreciated.  Thanks! Examination of the medial joint line showed _____ bone over a wide are of both the femur and tibia.     Sounds like he is saying   ee-bo-nate-id. ...

Axisceon" Beginning At The Medial Epicondyle...
Oct 29, 2009

Incision was made over the medial "axisceon" beginning at the medial epicondyle..." ...

MRI Shows A Medial Meniscus Tear Of The Right Knee With A
Sep 27, 2010

x ...

The Left Knee On X-ray Has Some S/l Rare-i-fi-ca-tion In The Medial
Apr 12, 2012

. ...

Medial Femoral Tibial With Slash Or Hyphen?
Jul 23, 2012

Dr. says:  Mild medial femoral tibial articular cartilage thinning. Should it be femoral-tibial, or femoral/tibial, or femoral tibial? ...

Exposed Ingranated Bone Within The Medial Compartment
Dec 18, 2014

Sounds like my ortho doc is saying "Previous arthroscopy two years ago did show an area of exposed "ingranated" bone within the medial compartment".  He is a nonoperative candidate for knee replacement.   I know ingranated is not a word, but that is what is sounds like.  Thought about indurated, and it is not that either.  Any ideas would be helpful and thank you!     ...

RADIOLOGY: PA And Lateral Chest---NVM!!!!
Nov 19, 2009

Alone in-house today and need a little help. "There is a vague nodular density overlying the anterior first rib approximately 15 mm which suspect is a bone island.  The patient will be recalled for lordotic, reverse lordotic,  and infused cone of the apices." Not sure of the bolded part and even less sure about the word apices. Thanks! He repeated himself a little clearer later on in the dictation.  He said:  "The patient will be recalled for lordotic/reverse lordotic vie ...

Lateral Meniscus Had S/l Fishering
Jan 07, 2010

Rotator cuff repair.  The lateral meniscus had s/l fishering horizontally. ...

AP And Lateral - Single Entity?
Aug 30, 2012

For a while now, whenever the doctor said, "AP and lateral is taken today," I would change it to "AP and lateral are taken today," but then a thought came to me that what if "AP and lateral" is a single entity, much like "macaroni and cheese," which is usually referred as a single thing. Is that the case with AP and lateral films? ...

Ortho Word - Possible Jarment (?) Of The Screw On The Medial Aspect Of Her Right Foot
May 03, 2011

Dictator says: "Possible jarment (?) of the screw on the medial aspect of her right foot." I heard "jarment" clear as day! ...

Ortho Help. Patient With Cartilage Defect In Her Medial Femoral Condyle. SM
Nov 06, 2011

At this point, she probably will need arthroscopy with microfracture versus an (s/l olds) procedure.   TIA ...

S/l Bilateral Lateral Recess And Facement
Nov 10, 2009

An MRI of the lumbosacral spine, also done earlier this year, demonstrates severe neural canal stenosis at L3-4 and L4-5 with bilateral lateral recess and facement, worse in the right at L4-5 with proximal L5 nerve root compression. ...

Lateral Epicondyle Pain Test
Mar 12, 2010

Doctor dictating test for lateral epicondyle pain, s/l formleson's test. ...

Willitz Examination For Lateral Epicondylitis.
Aug 02, 2010

I know I have heard this in the past and know I have typed it too, but I'm drawing a blank.  I've been searching everywhere on the internet and in my books and can't find it, and it's coming up incorrectly spelled.   Is it Willitz examination? ...

Lateral Canthus S/l Moze Deficit
Sep 06, 2012

lateral canthus s/l moze deficit... ...

Bilateral Lateral Auricular Area?
Aug 29, 2014

This surgeon is dictating about an excision of this patient's "left frontal skull area.  This was lipoma on pathology.  She has ecchymosis in her bilateral lateral auricular area."  Did he mean to use both "bilateral" and "lateral" or did he misspeak "bilateral" and correct it with "lateral?"  I'm not sure if the two together makes sense. Thanks! ...

Tenderness To Palpation In The Right Anterior Medial Chest Wall. Is It Anteromedial Or As Typed? T
Mar 27, 2011

xx ...

However, By This Time The Stone Then Appeared To Be Very Lateral In S/l *kaylex*?
Apr 26, 2010

. ...

The Lateral (S?L Drug/dren) Line Was Entered.
May 31, 2010

knee surgery Next sentance...There was a partial tear of the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus. ...

S/l Kan-ay-duh Like Strut Grafting And Lateral Fusion Present 11 To 2.
Jul 12, 2013

Kin-ay-duh is what the word sounds like  ...

Posterior Lateral Basilar Chest Areas
Feb 04, 2014

are these all different areas of the chest? should there be a comma between all of these? posterior lateral basilar chest areas. ...

X-ray Report - X-rays Of Left Knee Show Advanced Degenerative Changes Seen Of The Medial Compartment
Jan 14, 2010

x ...