A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

medial femoral tibial with slash or hyphen? - me

Posted: Jul 23, 2012

Dr. says:  Mild medial femoral tibial articular cartilage thinning.

Should it be femoral-tibial, or femoral/tibial, or femoral tibial?

I would say femoral/tibial - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

femorotibial - Ortho Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I would put femorotibial unless you hear a clear distinction between the two words. If so, I would do femoral/tibial, as the slash implies the word and.

slash=virgule see BOS2 - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
A slash/virgule means the items on both sides are THE SAME, i.e., doctor/patient if the doctor is himself the patient, or 1 person.

A hyphen means they are different, i.e., doctor/patient means a doctor and his or her patient, or 2 different people.

duh, excuse me, doctor-patient means 2 different people. - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
if only I could type...blame is on ASR.

Thanks, L&L! - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
This is something I had never heard before....thanks for sharing that! It makes sense. Unfortunately, I don't suppose all the dictators realize the distinction.

I hate when they dictate "hyphen" or "dash" or "slash," because it often seems like they use them interchangeably or in random situations, without reason! :-)

medial femoral tibial - eliz

[ In Reply To ..]
I prefer femorotibial.

medial lfemoral tibial - poodle

[ In Reply To ..]
Usually done as "tibiofemoral", but not sure when femoral first; would probably still combine, "femorotibial", but if done separate - hyphen is more appropriate in this case.

Similar Messages:

Drawer Tests - Hyphen, Slash, Or AND?
Jan 10, 2012

Looking for the ADHI / book of style / transcription rules regarding drawer tests.  I have found loads of posts on this subject, but they contradict each other.  Does anyone know the "true" accepted format when discussing anterior and posterior drawer tests? is it: anterior-posterior drawer anterior/posterior drawer anterior and posterior drawer   Along these same lines, is there a generally accepted format for varus-valgus stress testing?  hyphen, slash, or and?   ...

Medial Femoral Condyle
Mar 16, 2011

s/l demon in his medial femoral condyle with areas of osteochondral defect and cartilaginous loss noted...  Any help is appreciated!!!! ...

Ortho Help. Patient With Cartilage Defect In Her Medial Femoral Condyle. SM
Nov 06, 2011

At this point, she probably will need arthroscopy with microfracture versus an (s/l olds) procedure.   TIA ...

S/l Exofemoral And Femoral-femoral Bypass
Oct 25, 2012

The patient underwent an (s/l) exofemoral and femoral-femoral bypass.  exofemoral?  ...

Dash Versus Slash
Aug 05, 2010

Not really a word question, more style - which is actually correct tibia-fibula or tibia/fibula, I have seen it both ways and an account I used to work on it required it to be tibia/fibula, however, corrected by QA to be tibia-fibula, so am I to assume that is the correct way to transcribe it? ...

Non-ossified To Hyphen Or Not To Hyphen?
Oct 21, 2010

Is non-ossified hyphenated? ...

Re- Words? To Hyphen Or Not To Hyphen?
Oct 25, 2010

Some "re" words seem to be pretty well used, such as "readmission" not "re-admission" or "replaced" not "re-placed" but how do you tell when to add the hyphen? I've come across "reexploration" and it doesn't seem right without the hyphen, but I can't find any references that support it either with the hyphen or without. ...

S/l Tibial Snaps .. S/l Gastroc
Nov 19, 2009

Repeat EMG done several days ago demonstrates normal NCVs including tibial snaps, but with denervation in the gastroc. ...

Chondroplasty, Tibial Plateau
Oct 17, 2010

working on ortho surgery.  CANNOT find this word.  Have researched for literally HOURS. Only know it must be some kind of tool or procedure....grrrr. "[s/l  NOTHING I CAN MAKE OUT!] was used to smooth the unstable cartilaginous flap on the tibial plateau. "   Thanks in advance.   Barb ...

Free Tibial Edema?
Jun 30, 2011

sentence s/l:  Trace pretibial and free tibial edema. Does this sound correct? I have not been able to find any definition of "free tibial." ...

Type Of Tibial Plateau Fracture
Oct 18, 2011

Right knee tibial plateau fracture, (s/l) Shakster 6. ...

Peripheral Pulses Are +2 In Posterior And Tibial ____
Jun 22, 2010

NM ...

Left Hip Replacement - Placing A Tibial Strut With
Jun 07, 2011

I have always typed as Dall-Miles but this ortho doc spells this out.  Maybe doing it incorrectly all along?  ...

Fibula/fibular, Tibia/tibial, Ulna/ulnar, Etc.
Feb 25, 2011

What is the final say on how to use these words?? Is is tibia fracture or tibial fracture?  fibula fracture or fibular fracture? What if there is another word in front, does it become "proximal tibia fracture" or still 'proximal tibial fracture"? I find some people do it one way, others the other way!!  Thanks in advance for any help/direction/link to help with this. ...

Phase II Trial Conducted At "chop Slash Dana-Farber"
Jul 05, 2012

Marcus, et al., Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, 2003.  ...

On Vital Signs: She Is On Pressure Support "10 Slash 5, 40%"
Jun 18, 2010

:) ...

Regarding Femoral Prosthesis
Apr 04, 2012

Examination of x-rays done previously - AP of the pelvis and AP and lateral of the right hip does reveal S-ROM type prosthesis which on the femoral side seems to be well fixed. He does have a _________ type cup which seems to be loose with clear lucent line in all three zones. sounds like wide to lock type or Y to lock type  or white to lock type ...

Meatal Or Medial
Nov 16, 2009

They seem to both make sense, which would you go with?   Nasoendoscopy is performed which demonstrates scarring of the left middle turbinate to the [medial or meatal] wall of the maxillary sinus. ...

L5 DPR Medial Branch
Oct 20, 2011

Ok, brain's gone to mush.  What's DPR stand for in the context of lumbar spine?  Thanks so much!   ...

Femoral-saphenous Juntion
Oct 29, 2010

Dr. dictates "Femoral-saphenous junction" but when i researched it - I only find Saphenofemoral junction...which would be correct? ...

U-pin? (femoral Condyle Postsurgical X-ray)
Nov 17, 2011

sounds like femoral condyle "U-pin"...can't find it...help? ...

Cam Lesion Femoral-femora?
Jan 17, 2012

Pelvic x-rays:  Early DJD with cam lesions on both s/l femoral femora.  I cannot document the s/l.  Any help is appreciated.  ...

Cam, Cam, Or CAM Lesion Of The Femoral Head?
Dec 31, 2012

I find it in all three forms when I look it up. Mayo Clinic site has cam lesion. Thank you in advance. ...

Pt With Medial Meniscus Tear.
Jun 07, 2011

Patient likes to wear flip flops, however, I recommended that she go to a s/l Vinza shoe and has a 1/4" lateral shoe wedge placed on the outside under the outer sole.  TIA NM ...

Oferax ? In Rt Common Femoral Artery
Oct 29, 2009

Wow!!!  This is an angiogram of carotids via femoral artery.......cannot find this anywhere!!! ...

Femoral Sciatic Blocks? Have Not Heard Of This Yet.
Feb 10, 2010

He had ACL surgery on the left knee done on December 17. With this he had femoral and sciatic blocks. ...

Cam And Pincer Femoral Acetabular Imingement
Jan 13, 2012

Doc consistently dictates, "cam and pincer all caps femoral acetabular impingement"  I cannot find any documentation to even capitalize cam or pincer.  I thought CAM was in reference  to controlled ankle motion  as in CAM walker boot.  Help!!!! ...

Then A S/l Luggage Handle Was Placed In The Femoral Canal.
Jun 05, 2015

Orthopedic surgery note.   "Then a s/l luggage handle was placed in the femoral canal." I have been searching, but it is difficulty to find anything, as every search just brings up tonz of stuff about luggage handles.  Anyone every heard of this????  ...

Test For Medial Meniscus Tear
Feb 25, 2011

Laundry list of tests including s/l Kessler/Tesler/Pesler test. Any ideas?   ...

Medial And Lateral Malleolus/malleoli
Mar 04, 2012

If a doc says medial and lateral malleolus, should it be changed to medial and lateral malleoli? Thank you for your help! ...