A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Recent change to M-Modal, anyone have great success with this VR system? I think it stinks. - huge pay cut on VR!

Posted: Jan 30, 2010

I have been using this system for a couple of months now and was hoping it was going to get better, but it really has not.   Is there anyone who is have great success on this system?  Do you work on another VR system that you really like and can make $20/hr or more on? I am just wondering if it is M-Modal or the way ours is set up, or what.   By the time I pay for my insurance, computer costs, software, taxes, etc.  , there is not a lot of money left and I think I would probably make more going back to an in-house job with benefits?  I just wonder if that is where this industry will be heading now.   TIA

You can make 20 or more on Editscript per hr - Been there, done that

[ In Reply To ..]
I hear it is the best, do not know about your platform. As for people going back inhouse, I doubt you will see that, probably just MTSOs go under and more work for us then that stuck around.

Is Transtech the only company with EditScript? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I don't know which company you work for, but sm - Why do I do this?

[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked with both M-Modal and Escription and the like. I actually have done 400 lines a hour with the latter, and lucky to get 125 or so with the former. M-Modal truly stinks at my company. I have lost 40% of my wages. I am not making money anywhere actually because of lack of work and the VR pay. The 400 LPH is not the norm, more like 250 or so.

I have to disagree with the statement of how much - VR you are able to do

[ In Reply To ..]
My last job before VR I averaged over 250 lines per day and that was entirely straight. If you cannot make more than twice that on VR, something is really wrong. Wrong job, just wrong all the way around. As you are cut with the VR pay, you have to be able to do twice as much and more with VR in order to get a good paycheck.

making twice as much on VR is rare, so many complain! - vr

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
If you only do 250 lph then you - VR person
[ In Reply To ..]
are making about $80.00 per day. Maybe others are ok with this, I am not. A person should do whatever it takes to increase their line count. To me this type of work is just not worth making chump change and I work steadily throughout the day going as fast as I can in order to get the total lines I want for the day. It is a total mind set thing with me.
Going as fast as you can? I suspect that's why/sm - QA at a national
[ In Reply To ..]
See such horrible work from people all day?

I suspect the person doing 250/hr is actually (gasp!) making sure the document is of good quality!

You who are zooming through your reports will be caught one day and you'll be posting here on how unfair QA is.
Appreciate the concern, but my QA scores - VR person
[ In Reply To ..]
have been and continue to be exceptionally good. I work for one of the largest hospitals in a city of more than several millions. Knowing the head of the hospital's transcription department, I can assure you should my work be under par, I would have heard something over the past 20 years as that is how long I have worked on this 1 acct.
That explains it. If you are working at a hospital sm - QA at a national
[ In Reply To ..]
you have a line count that includes headers and footers. We who work for services are not. They cut that out years ago.

National employees - this is the difference here, she isn't working under the same conditions.
Assumptions- I did not say I was working at a - VR person
[ In Reply To ..]
hospital, I work doing hospital work for a national. So, now where is the difference?
20 years - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
on the same account? THAT explains everything. Consider yourself very fortunate. I was on an account for 10 years when one day it suddenly disappeared and went to India. I actually cried that day.
Do not know what it explains, tell me - VR person
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
everyone knows - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
That the luxury of have a consistent account over a period of time, getting to know the dictators, their styles, their format, their common phrases, expansions, etc., etc., etc. makes all the difference in production, straight or VR. I can't believe I'm having to type this out. It is so obvious. I'm saying to be grateful for the position you are in. Many of us who have been in the field for a long time have not been fortunate enough (through no fault of our own) to be able to keep an account for 20 years.
Not everyone knows as apparently you posting this - VR person
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, the format is the same. If you or anyone else thinks I have close to the same dictators after all those years, I could only wish that. The new ones totally outnumber the older ones. I do more ESLs now than I ever did in all the years I have done this type of work. First starting MTing I may have had 2 ESLs and now they number in the hundreds where I get my work from. We do use the same format- other than that I face the same challenges that others do, except not changing a format, that is about it. I liked this acct and once it was outsourced to a 2nd MTSO, I searched and found who had it and applied.
that strikes me as really rude, Ms. QA - - - and ill informed
[ In Reply To ..]
Fact for fact, horrible work comes from horrible MTs, not from competent MTs who are capable of producing a large amount of work.

Some people are just good at what they do. How dare you assume that those of us who can actually produce in this field are doing so at the expense of quality.

Perhaps you should stick to QA rather than making assumptions about the accuracy and ethics of the MT.

Similar Messages:

It Stinks That I Won't Be Able To Recover The Document I Was Working On When The System Went Do
Oct 07, 2010

so sad... ...

Great! MM Wants To Change How We Get Paid.
Mar 23, 2013

“Line count” as a metric has remained popular because consumers are familiar with it and also because we (MTSOs – Medical Transcription Service Organizations) are able to use it to our advantage. As the cost of labor has risen over the past decades, we’ve added technology to reduce the amount of labor needed, and thus we’ve been able to keep the price (per line) low. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!  COST OF LABOR HAS RISEN??  IT REALLY MEANS THE COST OF CORPORATE� ...

Oh Great. TSM Moved So Many People To 1 Day On My Shift, I Was Told To Change!
Sep 20, 2013

She demanded schedule changes of all M-F MTs because of end-of-the-week/weekend TAT problems. I wasn't concerned because my entire schedule is for those troublesome days. Now I get an email that she moved too many people to my shift, and she wants me to change!!????? It is so frustrating working here on so many levels. I can't wait until I finish school and will be out of here! ...

M*Modal Shift Change
Oct 02, 2012

How impossible would it be to change my shift to 3rd after 2 months at M*Modal? ...

Great Line Counts Require Great Dictators.
Feb 11, 2015

I'm always over 200 until I get Mr. Mumblemouth who knows he is not forming actual words when he hums through the PE, as my counts plummet to as loiw as 75 LPH.   Then I get a long report from an excellent fast-talking dictator and my LPH jumps to 340.   Question:  Why is it that the MTSO does not comprehend the fact that our production depends on the capability of the provider to dictate correctly?   The horrid dictators are never told they are doing anything wrong as ...

MQ STINKS
Mar 01, 2011

So here we go again, in the middle of working, and I get logged out just like probably a lot of the rest of you.   However, we STILL get our e-mails saying we should use our mouse less, not have so much idle time, blah blah blah.  We are not allowed to work hours that are not on our shift, and yet . . .  we don't have work when it IS our shift!!!!!  How about all the time we sit here with no work, how about when we lose jobs because they don't co ...

VR Stinks
Nov 26, 2012

Nothing like having a string of the worst VR out there, having to retype the entire dictation, but not get paid to type it up b/c "a few sentences did match"...a few sentences out of a 10 minute dictation each is not even a drop in the bucket.  I love working for NOTHING.  I am so sick of this company. ...

Spheris Stinks!
Nov 18, 2009

That company is in trouble, and it is a terrible place to work.  The MTs are very, very nice, but it is not a place to make a living! ...

MMODAL STINKS!
Sep 10, 2013

There must be a bunch of wolves in coorporate!  This place is getting worse every week! I think the TSMs too are cowardly, why don't they have a conference call and tell us what is happening. The management hides behind emails! They barely pay, and now they take away even more. They probably want all Americans to quit. Way to go coorporate America, just keep sticking it to your own people! ...

Reasons Why VR Stinks
May 05, 2014

* - It sucks at numbers (not that numbers are important on a legal medical document or mean life and death in dosing etc.) * - It puts diagnoses on paper that weren't even said! * - It takes a phone number (emergency contact for patient) and inserts 02/08/2014 07/04/2013 04/03/2014 05/05/2013 04/02/2014 (what the ????) * - You can't make any money * - It can't recognize the difference between ASSESSMENT: AND IMPRESSION: It doesn't matter, whichever they said, it will say ...

KEYSTROKES - NEW PAY POLICY STINKS
Jul 26, 2010

401K Match Stinks. Needs To Be Improved.
Nov 19, 2013

Here is an article that talks about 401K. Mmodal's 401K plan stinks. "The most common 401(k) employer match is now dollar-for-dollar for the first 6% of income that an employee defers." Mmodal only matches 25% up to 4% which equals 1% in a lump sum which is even stingier than matching it each pay period to allow the participants to take advantage of compounding. The worst thing - We don't even know if Mmodal is going to match this year. In years past they sent out a letter res ...

Success Doing VR Anyone?
Jun 30, 2011

With a lot of negativity towards VR by MTs and with very good reason, is there any MT who is having SUCCESS with VR?  Even if you can't stand VR, are you still maintaining decent production/income with it? ...

POD Pilot Program In North Region Stinks
Jan 13, 2014

North region went from 4 accounts, to being tried on this POD Pilot Program and put on at least 10 more accounts, with a few having several divisions.  After 1st week, workload fell way behind, over 1400 reports by this past Friday.  Around 4 p.m. Friday, we were offered OT plus an extra $10/h for Fri, Sat & Sun, but have to work at least 3 hours OT each day.  Interestingly, not told up front, but via email AFTER THE FACT, that the OT pay might be paid on the 2/7/2014 pay, 2 m ...

FTR Success Story
Mar 15, 2010

Ok... I made it thorugh my first day of FTR with no QA markers sent to QA or client and no guessing.   Look at how smart I am MedQuist!!!  I just did not realize my own potential until you dangled the 3 cpl pay cut in front of my nose.   Mark one on my side of the board. ...

Tips For Success With VR
May 14, 2010

Learning to use VR can be accomplished by any MT who has solid MT skills and is knowledgeable about their work.  I do not believe newbies or grads within their first 2 years should be using VR without QA backup (just my opinion). 1.  You have to want to learn to use it effectively.  If you try to do it kicking and screaming, being obstinant, you simply will hinder your learning curve and depth significantly.  2.  It takes time.  You will not learn it overnight.&nb ...

Has Anyone Had Any Success Using QCare?
Sep 12, 2010

Has anyone had any success using QCare?  When a problem is submitted, how does it get answered?  Do they call you or do they type their answer on that form somewhere?  I'm lost. ...

Anyone Had Success With Scoping?
Oct 05, 2010

Sick of the virtual sweat shops of medical transcription.  Anyone had success with switcing to scoping??  How do you get employed in this field.  I never see any particular companies hiring for this.  I would guess that after you finish the program you would just advertise your services?  Any insights apprecitated. ...

Where Do MTs Go From Here? Anybody Had Success Leaving?
Jul 09, 2013

With the MT business completely flushed down the toilet to nonexistence, where does an experienced MT go when this certification means absolutely nothing in the job market these days?? ...

Tips For VR Success (what Worked For Me)
Oct 20, 2009

Trust me, I understand the agony of going from transcription to editing.  If you have a great dictator, it’s not so bad but fewer accounts and fewer dictators fit that bill any more.    Doing editing on a heavier basis daily also begins to make it more of a concern if you are not making up the difference in your production compared with your transcription line counts. Here’s how I worked my skill set up to where I needed it to be.   There are several th ...

Anyone Posted Resume With Success
Mar 15, 2010

Just wondering if anyone has ever posted their resume on this site under resumes where you have to log in and successfully been offered a "decent" job on here.  You can list how much per line you are looking for.  Would love to get back to over 12 cents again after recent paycut.....pretty sure that is an impossible dream at this point!  Hate to list a resume and be contacted by companies that pay so low or are not even legit.  Just wondered how many have ...

Anyone Had Success Leaving MT For A Clerical/
Nov 18, 2011

secretarial job in a doctor's office and/or hospital?  The ads always seem to want customer service experience and you don't get that working at home as an MT.  Thanks in advance for any help. ...

Has Anyone Found Success After Leaving MT?
Nov 26, 2012

I am going for a degree in counseling. I'm scared to death because i have not worked away from home in almost two decades. I get belly aches just thinking about it. However, it has been a dream of mine to get into the psychology field since high school. Times have changed and I have no idea if I will find a job out of college. I'm scared to say the least. So far, I have my associates, a certificate and will start on my BA next year. I worry there will be too much typing or pape ...

Please Share Your Success Story On Getting
Sep 30, 2013

I still have a good 15 months left of school, at least, and this place is just killing me mentally, emotionally, physically.  I love studying for my classes, though I have such little time for just that, because it is going to lead me to a life without MM, but I need your inspiring stories.  Share anything and everything you are willing to about your escape, please.  Hopefully there will be many responses because my intent is to then bookmark this page and refer to it often when I ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Success Stories?
Nov 12, 2009

I'd like some advice from those out there that are using this.  I have 32-bit Vista.  I have heard that version 10 is a nightmare to install with cruddy tech support from Nuance.  Therefore, I am considering going with version 9 Preferred if I can find it.  I can't afford the Medical software, but I have heard of MTs having good results with training the Preferred version to medical words.  My hands are bothering me, and I need to get this software to help out with reports.  ...

Great Transcription Job - Great Pay -
Dec 20, 2011

I worked for LabCorp for 7 years - started at $14/hr - left 7 yrs later at $19.86/hour -- company has own credit card for employees -  called a Clear Card - available to ALL employees - Regular working hours. EASY transcription!!!  Could do it in my sleep!  Benefits.  Had a lot of overtime if you wanted it - ($28 an hour when I left - at time and a half).  I would recommend LabCorp to EVERYONE!  They also have data entry if interested.  lower pay, though.& ...

Camus System? (computer System)
Dec 26, 2013

I cannot find documentation on this.  The context appears to be the imaging and labs and the doctors have been dictating the system is down.  Thank you for any help! ...

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

How Bout A New Board Here - "Success After Transcription"..
May 03, 2011

I'm halfway serious.  Some sort of board with practical, helpful/hopeful insight by those who've left transcription and have found employment in other areas, and not necessarily coding/billing or nursing.  Of course, I know we're all pretty much on our own but since this website has been so useful and helpful (to me at least) in making contact with other transcribers, would like to still believe there are other possibilities for us if this p ...

Oh Just Great! NOT No OT Pay For Me.
Mar 03, 2011

I was just informed that, even though I worked OT in my time zone (PST) and before my shift (second shift), their day is in CST, so anything after their midnight (CST) goes to the next day - that days and hours count in CST. Geez, maybe I should be working my shift in CST hours. That could be nice. I would get to start 2 hours earlier and stop at a more decent hour. This stinks like week-old fish, and I'm thinking the Calif EED might look at it a different way! ...