A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

has anyone found success after leaving MT? - sm

Posted: Nov 26, 2012

I am going for a degree in counseling. I'm scared to death because i have not worked away from home in almost two decades. I get belly aches just thinking about it. However, it has been a dream of mine to get into the psychology field since high school. Times have changed and I have no idea if I will find a job out of college. I'm scared to say the least. So far, I have my associates, a certificate and will start on my BA next year. I worry there will be too much typing or paper work my hands cannot handle, social anxiety will tear me up inside, or I will just be incompetent! You name it I fear it, however, I have no choice. Anyways, anyone successful after leaving the MT field. Care to share what you do for a living? Thank you

I mean this seriously - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
although I realize it may sound flippant, but maybe you should meet with a counselor.

First to get help with your anxiety. Second, to gain insight into your chosen career field/job market/etc. Who knows--maybe some networking will come of it too.

Good luck to you. Remember all new things tend to be a bit scary at first. I think you'll be fine, especially since you've had this dream for so long.

I have not left MT yet, so can't speak directly to that, but plan to do so in the next year. I'd also like to go back to school for coding, but just want to get out and work for a bit first. Whole Foods is building a huge new store in my area that's due to open next year. I'm going to try to get in as a cashier there when they open in January. Hopefully the fact I worked for them some 15 years ago will be to my benefit, lol! And yes, I'm nervous. I haven't cashiered in a loong time.

Whole Foods is an excellent employer. - RC

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope you do get a job there and enjoy it...I worked there for 5 years, and my husband still works there. We've enjoyed benefits that are incredible. I haven't paid a medical bill in I don't know how long, and our stocks actually paid for most of our wedding.

Trader Joe's too. - if only I could stand on my feet 8 hours a day

[ In Reply To ..]
xx
Trader Joe's - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
My neighbor started there recently. He loves it, loves it. The standing all day is a pain, yes.

I swear though, they must put something in the water. I have Never met a grumpy Trader Joe's employee in all the time I've shopped there.

Thanks! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope I get in there again too. I really enjoyed it back in the day and only ever had 2 "bad" experiences.

I can only do part time right now--my husband works full time and goes to school full time and we have 3 kids--so I'm a bit restricted in my schedule. I hope the fact that I can/prefer to work nights and close and can work 2 full weekends a month will be in my favor.

I was excited to see their benefits though! When I worked there, they had Nothing for PT--not even a discount!

Do you know offhand how long it takes to be vested in the 401K?

What does your husband do? And if you don't mind me asking, why did you leave? Did you two meet and fall in looove there? =] (Ooh, I do love workplace romances--that's how I met my husband!)
We did meet there! - RC
[ In Reply To ..]
Here's the ironic part--I left Whole Foods to do transcription full-time. Oh, stupid me. Now I make less money and have zero benefits and no socializing. Idiot! But I was enticed by the idea of having my own schedule.

I don't remember how long it takes for the 401K, I'm sorry. It might have been 90 days?

I've never seen a company that held their employees in such high regard. Discounts, benefits, stocks, paid vacations. Hell, they even PAY you to volunteer in the community, 40 hours per year, I think.

I'm enjoying life outside of MT - alana

[ In Reply To ..]
My IC contract was not renewed in Oct (acct went completely off shore) and I decided not to look for an MT job. I completed a ServSafe certificate, CPR training, and signed up for some retail management classes online. I have two elderly clients lined up to do private cooking for so even though the ServSafe is not necessary, it looks good and it is a refresher for me. CPR hopefully will not be needed but ya never know. The retail classes are to get a better job in retail, which are aplenty here. I used to be a territory rep for a fine china company and I loved it. It only paid $13/hr but it was such a creative outlet. I DO plan on taking coding but need to work while I study and pay for that. So doing all the above, which cost under $200 in total, will open up more ops for jobs. Who knows? Maybe I'll ditch the coding and become a full time private chef or a regional manager.

A few antiques that I've been meaning to sell went up on Craigslist and eBay and sold. I restored some other pieces I picked up (two in the trash) and one of these will be a Christmas gift. An oil painting of a farm in winter will be finished in time to give to my Mom at Christmas.

I'm feeling successful.

Social work - Elssa

[ In Reply To ..]
My friend (a widow with 4 kids) was an MT for many years and in her fifties finally got fed up with it and went back to college and got a BA in social work, specializing in geriatrics. She was able to find work in that field for a few years (adult day care center).. Eventually she went back to MT part time, though.

Yes, I found success - RHIA

[ In Reply To ..]
I found the transition into coding and then health information administration enjoyable and satisfying. Because I began with just one area in which I could find a job relatively easily, I was never worried about spending several years in school with no job at the end. I also had a good job to fund the remainder of the degree and my employer contributed.

HIA might not be what you want to do, but I think the "start small and work up gradually" applies to any field.

I do agree with anon that you might benefit from counseling. I especially think you need to find out if your degree program actually leads to employment . . . it would not in my area. If your fears make you that ill now, your internal wisdom might be sending you a warning message.

Studying for psychology is good, but you might feel less stress if you are more sure of being able to get a job with it. Counseling can help with that.

I am taking this route...just curious - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
how you got your first job in coding? Or did you even get a job in coding? I am about to take the RHIT exam and then will go on further to get my RHIA through WGU. I am worried about finding a job as a coder or even in HIM or HIA even though I have worked in the medical field for 15 years.

I have been checking Craigslist a lot and - found many jobs for coding

[ In Reply To ..]
as part of a medical office assistant or medical secretary job. Coding is the one thing I have not trained at, but could easily do all other things listed in these jobs. That is an option to look at. Also, if you already know anyone in medical office, i.e. doctor, nurse, etc.., who could help you find leads. You can do this and at this point I would dig ditches and get paid more than what I do now. Good luck to you. I also will be looking for myself a way out of this MT world.

Got my first job in coding by - Applying for it

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't mean that to sound snarky, but that is what I did. I took a coding trainee position to get my foot in the door because that came up before anything else and I had no experience. I got invaluable experience from that and was doing real coding within a few months.

You need to take any HIM job you can get, at whatever pay. Move up from there. I advise you not to hold out for a coding position because it is far easier to move once you already work in HIM.

Take the RHIT exam as soon as you are eligible. Do not wait to "study" for it. Just do it. If you do not pass, then you know what to study for.

Even though you have worked in the medical field, you have not worked in your new career. Recognizing that you are starting over is important. Your first job might not compensate you as much as you would like, but so what! Your experience will come into play later in the form of improved job performance and that will get better jobs and higher pay. You will move up faster than your inexperienced classmates.

reassurance - donna

[ In Reply To ..]
have been doing MT for almost 30 years after having done EDP, MA, and clerical work for physicians -

Six years ago, saw an ad in the newspaper for a job i've always wanted, applied, was hired and trained, and worked there for five years.

You can do it. You've done it before. You got your MT job, didn't you? That was new then, too, wasn't it?

If it's what you want, or even if you're not sure, but you think it might be what you want, go for it.

You may just find the job you've always wanted!!

Good luck!

and then....and then..... - and then...

[ In Reply To ..]
I got into MT because I was making more in a week than I had been in a month. And because I had a kid at home. The company sold, I became an MTSO. DH was being a jerk, and I needed benefits. Went into teaching. Got out of that finished a regulatory affairs medical device certification, and went into clinical project management - the research side. Looking at a move now, and may end up with petroleum engineering certifications before we're through.

I am looking for something PT, though, in transcription.

How do you get one of those? And why? - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
What kind of a job can you get with the cerficate? It's 1700 dollars to take the coursework...

Medical Devices

Register Online

Register by Fax/Mail

The Regulatory Affairs Certificate: Medical Devices provides a cost-effective, convenient option that will equip you with the tools and knowledge you need to progress your career to the next level and stay ahead of the competition.

Regardless of whether you are new to the regulatory profession, medical device industry, transitioning from a related discipline or you simply need to refresh your knowledge, this comprehensive resource will meet your learning needs.

Cost:
RAPS Members: $1,700 USD
Nonmembers: $1,925 USD–includes a 12-month RAPS membership
reg affairs - and then...
[ In Reply To ..]
What you do with it is make more money. :)

Seriously, any class 2 or 3 device that's on the market in the US today has been through the FDA in one form or fashion or another. The reg affairs person is the link between the companies manufacturing the alligator obturators and the FDA to ensure that there is sufficient evidence that the device is safe and effective for use in the market. I also took classes for clinical trials. :)

Where'd you find that course? Much cheaper than what I did. :)

Similar Messages:

Where Do MTs Go From Here? Anybody Had Success Leaving?
Jul 09, 2013

With the MT business completely flushed down the toilet to nonexistence, where does an experienced MT go when this certification means absolutely nothing in the job market these days?? ...

Anyone Had Success Leaving MT For A Clerical/
Nov 18, 2011

secretarial job in a doctor's office and/or hospital?  The ads always seem to want customer service experience and you don't get that working at home as an MT.  Thanks in advance for any help. ...

Success Doing VR Anyone?
Jun 30, 2011

With a lot of negativity towards VR by MTs and with very good reason, is there any MT who is having SUCCESS with VR?  Even if you can't stand VR, are you still maintaining decent production/income with it? ...

QC Leaving?? Leaving More Work For MTs?
Jun 14, 2015

Sorry QC was put on the grid and suffering losses (like we have), but from my point of view the more of them leave, the more work left for us.  Isn't that horrible we are reduced to feeling that way about our co-workers??? Some QC say they are not allowed to do MT unless the account is behind, some say they are allowed when they run out of work.   From the length of time we have been suffering from OOW I have to believe they can and do jump in on our work when out of QC ...

FTR Success Story
Mar 15, 2010

Ok... I made it thorugh my first day of FTR with no QA markers sent to QA or client and no guessing.   Look at how smart I am MedQuist!!!  I just did not realize my own potential until you dangled the 3 cpl pay cut in front of my nose.   Mark one on my side of the board. ...

Tips For Success With VR
May 14, 2010

Learning to use VR can be accomplished by any MT who has solid MT skills and is knowledgeable about their work.  I do not believe newbies or grads within their first 2 years should be using VR without QA backup (just my opinion). 1.  You have to want to learn to use it effectively.  If you try to do it kicking and screaming, being obstinant, you simply will hinder your learning curve and depth significantly.  2.  It takes time.  You will not learn it overnight.&nb ...

Has Anyone Had Any Success Using QCare?
Sep 12, 2010

Has anyone had any success using QCare?  When a problem is submitted, how does it get answered?  Do they call you or do they type their answer on that form somewhere?  I'm lost. ...

Anyone Had Success With Scoping?
Oct 05, 2010

Sick of the virtual sweat shops of medical transcription.  Anyone had success with switcing to scoping??  How do you get employed in this field.  I never see any particular companies hiring for this.  I would guess that after you finish the program you would just advertise your services?  Any insights apprecitated. ...

Tips For VR Success (what Worked For Me)
Oct 20, 2009

Trust me, I understand the agony of going from transcription to editing.  If you have a great dictator, it’s not so bad but fewer accounts and fewer dictators fit that bill any more.    Doing editing on a heavier basis daily also begins to make it more of a concern if you are not making up the difference in your production compared with your transcription line counts. Here’s how I worked my skill set up to where I needed it to be.   There are several th ...

Anyone Posted Resume With Success
Mar 15, 2010

Just wondering if anyone has ever posted their resume on this site under resumes where you have to log in and successfully been offered a "decent" job on here.  You can list how much per line you are looking for.  Would love to get back to over 12 cents again after recent paycut.....pretty sure that is an impossible dream at this point!  Hate to list a resume and be contacted by companies that pay so low or are not even legit.  Just wondered how many have ...

Please Share Your Success Story On Getting
Sep 30, 2013

I still have a good 15 months left of school, at least, and this place is just killing me mentally, emotionally, physically.  I love studying for my classes, though I have such little time for just that, because it is going to lead me to a life without MM, but I need your inspiring stories.  Share anything and everything you are willing to about your escape, please.  Hopefully there will be many responses because my intent is to then bookmark this page and refer to it often when I ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Success Stories?
Nov 12, 2009

I'd like some advice from those out there that are using this.  I have 32-bit Vista.  I have heard that version 10 is a nightmare to install with cruddy tech support from Nuance.  Therefore, I am considering going with version 9 Preferred if I can find it.  I can't afford the Medical software, but I have heard of MTs having good results with training the Preferred version to medical words.  My hands are bothering me, and I need to get this software to help out with reports.  ...

Recent Change To M-Modal, Anyone Have Great Success With This VR System? I Think It Stinks.
Jan 30, 2010

I have been using this system for a couple of months now and was hoping it was going to get better, but it really has not.   Is there anyone who is have great success on this system?  Do you work on another VR system that you really like and can make $20/hr or more on? I am just wondering if it is M-Modal or the way ours is set up, or what.   By the time I pay for my insurance, computer costs, software, taxes, etc.  , there is not a lot of m ...

How Bout A New Board Here - "Success After Transcription"..
May 03, 2011

I'm halfway serious.  Some sort of board with practical, helpful/hopeful insight by those who've left transcription and have found employment in other areas, and not necessarily coding/billing or nursing.  Of course, I know we're all pretty much on our own but since this website has been so useful and helpful (to me at least) in making contact with other transcribers, would like to still believe there are other possibilities for us if this p ...

Leaving MQ
Mar 14, 2010

Can someone please tell me how long it takes to get 401K after leaving MQ.  I have had it.  I believe the dictators I am getting were hand picked for me, I can barely make minimum wage.   I know this has been asked before, but please answer. ...

Leaving MQ?
Jun 14, 2010

I've been sending out resumes almost daily for close to 8 months now.  I've also been on at least 20 interviews but once they actually realize I've been working at home for almost 20 years, I don't get any job offers because they "want office experience."   I've been so depressed with so many medical offices turning up their noses at me because I've been working from home.  I'm quite sure I probably know termin ...

Leaving WMX ? Re Last Pay
Sep 21, 2010

I am leaving WMX and wondered if they hold last pay until they receive their equipment back? Anybody in this position? Thanks! ...

Leaving The Q.
Jul 20, 2011

Just wanted to add my voice to the growing chorus of long-timers leaving the Q finally. The account I worked on for 15 years just up and vanished Monday - without a word to any of us. I applied for, and got, a job offer within minutes of sending my resume. I know MQ has beaten us all down over the years, but there are actually other companies and people who appreciate our abilities and stamina to say with such a company for so many years in spite of it all :) ...

Not Sad To Be Leaving The Q,
Sep 10, 2011

I've been cleaning out my office to start a new job soon, and I came across some things from the good old days, i.e., before the Q.  I found email certificates my first CCM from 10 years ago sent when I kicked it line count and quality-wise.  She didn't have to do that, but back then, we got respect as much as we gave it (I was HS back then).  I also found some old pay stubs from when I was a tier 1 and just getting into the routine.  I now make 1/6 of what I did wh ...

What I've Seen Since Leaving MT
May 01, 2012

I recently left the MT field but am in a position where I have to review medical records daily. I've come across mistakes that make me question where they came from... was it a VR report that an editor didn't catch... was it a transcription error... or was it a doctor error. Some of the things I've come across were a statement along the lines of "would've healing well"... I figure this was supposed to be something like "wound is" healing well. I came across a discrepancy ...

To Those Leaving MT
Sep 13, 2012

Curious, as to those getting out of MT, where are you going? I am soooo dissatisfied with this profession today. My wages are half what they were hourly only 4 years ago (VR for me is not profitable). The account specs get more and more complicated and you have to work on at least 5 or 6 accounts to keep work. Add in the hard to understand accents (I mean can't even understand the dictator's name half the time) and the left off demographics, and it is a recipe for low, low wages. I liv ...

I'm Leaving
Sep 20, 2012

Since ASR and off-shoring came along I have been wanting to leave the industry and after 5 years of procrastinating I finally took the plunge.  I have been applying and interviewing and after turning down two offers from different companies I finally accepted a position a couple days ago as a nurse aide with 1/2 hr lunch which food is provided, two 10 minute breaks, every other weekend off, every other holiday off (time and a half pay when I do work holidays), $.30/hr extra weekend pay, 4% ...

Leaving MT! Got Another Job!
Oct 26, 2012

I just got a job working for a Medical Records company.  I will be attaching scanned medical records into the EMR.  I am so thrilled I won't have to sit at my computer waiting all day for work to come in to make little money.  For those of you that are looking to get out of MT, it can be done.  Don't give up. ...

So Now Leaving A Mg Off A Med
Dec 27, 2014

That just seems weird. I get if it's supposed to be mcg and you put mg, something doctors often do in their dictation, but leaving off the mg, 3.0? They are really digging deep into every document to find the means to which to cut our pay. I could never do QA/QC with this company, too nasty. We are perpetual victims, but they have become the freaking Spanish Inquisition. Honestly. ...

Leaving, Not Sure Where But Cannot Take It Any More
Mar 08, 2015

Left this company once before, to another company that was worse, if you can believe that and I will say their name Pre____. You should get it figured out. What has happened with this switchover from Enterprise 5 to Editscript 11 is beyond belief. I'm the one who cannot pend reports, have reached out to everyone and anyone I can think of including IT solution center multiple multiple multiple times and this is falling on deaf ears. My TSM tells me to work on the Editscript account full we ...

To Those Leaving The MT Field
Mar 01, 2010

How long do you think MT'ing will be around?   I'm going back to school to become a social worker, something i've always wanted to do, and need the income while i'm in school.  In fact, today was my first day.  Its an online course and it will take some adjusting, but I feel its time.  I'm following a dream, MT'ing was supposed to be temporary but it is such a cushy job, who would want to leave it?   I think the problem is, there ...

Thinking About Leaving MT, But...
Mar 02, 2010

I am not sure what jobs to apply for as I have only worked as a medical transcriptionist for over 10 years.  I guess I am wondering if my skills as an MT only would make me more hireable in any other medical profession, or is it just looking at Walmart for me now, lol  TIA for any advice. ...

Leaving MQ 2 W/o Notice What Can They Do?
Mar 21, 2010

Does anyone know if MQ can take some of your check that is due to arrive, already approved, if we suddenly just quit and leave?  What can they do if we don't give a 15-30 day notice?????  How soon do they want their old computer back?  Any information about leaving without notice is really appreciated!!!!  ...

Question For The 50-ish And Up Leaving MT
Apr 06, 2010

I'm curious.  To those of you who are choosing not to go back to school for other training--my reason is I only have 7 years until retirement--and want to get the heck out of MT, what have you decided to do instead?  Any and all ideas welcome, unless it involves adding and subtracting or building bridges or tunnels. ...

Guess I Am Not Leaving
Jun 25, 2010

Got an E-mail (isn't that personal, but better than nothing, I guess) that my old hospital has decided not to fill the position "at this time," but will keep my resume for future reference.  New clothes, pedicure, and a lot of stress for nothing.  So my MQ job is looking a lot better today. . .  Maybe next time.  ...