A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone had success with scoping? - anon

Posted: Oct 05, 2010

Sick of the virtual sweat shops of medical transcription.  Anyone had success with switcing to scoping??  How do you get employed in this field.  I never see any particular companies hiring for this.  I would guess that after you finish the program you would just advertise your services?  Any insights apprecitated.

scoping info - considered it

[ In Reply To ..]
Do a search for the yahoo lists--they're pretty active and a lot of them are working in the field. You've got to do the program and get the software first (expensive) but they say it's well worth it.
http://www.scopistssupportgroup.com/
leads you to the most active list and also links to other info.

scoping - KT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been looking into that a lot lately. You can work independently for court reporters or a service. Some of the schools will refer you to court reporters if you do good, but it's hard to know which school to choose. You have Scoping International, Internet Scoping School, Best Scoping Techniques, Scoping Made Affordable, Baton Rouge School of Court reporting..... It's just hard to decide. I've gotten on all of their websites several times.

Scoping - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Ok, old MT here, what is scoping exactly? Thanks!

Editing the rough transcripts produced by court - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
reporters, with at-home scopists usually ICs working for the reporters. A lot like what medical editors do, with some additional specialized skills needed. One big difference is that for most scopists there's a lot more time stress and irregularity. They produce long, long, long transcripts, not little medical reports popped out several an hour. People can work from home and on site, but either way they tend to work for as long as it takes to get the entire transcript of a trial done, at home into the night if necessary, and then maybe a couple days later there's no work at all.

It's a good possibility for a lateral move for people who are good at editing. I'm not sure that scoping pays any more than good medical editors make, but I've only seen average income figures, so...?
Scoping - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks everyone for providing some very good input and resources.
Scoping - Ancient typist
[ In Reply To ..]
I am close to graduating from a scoping program right now. There are huge differences between the schools; prices, teacher involvement in the learning process if any); is there an intern program where you move on to being referred to court reporter leads. I have attended two schools. The first was very expensive and basically all you are paying for is access to a web site, and occasional phone calls. Essentially it is a self taught program and you learn the basics, but not how to actually start scoping. I am now in the internship program at my school, learning how to use the software (which you can buy in installments). You learn how to format transcripts, how to use grammar correctly for the legal profession, how to market yourself, and much more. And the greatest thing of all, is that we have live internet classes 2-3 times a week. It is a great school. If you do decide to go to a school, you should check them out very carefully before signing up for one. Ask how they teach, how much teacher involvement is there? How available the teacher is to the students. This program encourages you to talk to the graduates to get first hand information. By the way, you can earn a lot more scoping that MTing, if you are good. All the schools have web sites, but call and talk to the owner before signing up. I can't name my school on this board because it is considered advertising by the moderator. Be brave. At least check it out.
Ancient, did you learn to read steno script, or whatever - Anon.
[ In Reply To ..]
it's called? Also what is the point you were making about learning scoping as an MT? I didn't quite get it.

Congrats on finishing up, BTW! I was thinking the legal issues should be interesting. Will you continue with MT too or just move over entirely?
Scoping - Ancient typist
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, you do have to learn stenography, but it is not that hard. I don't think I was making a point as an MT learning scoping other than our ability to listen to what is being said often from marble mouths, burpers, yawners, cell-phone talkers. Most transcipts come from a court reporter, who has also audio-synced the audio with the steno so that while are reading through and editing their transcript you have that audio to back you up. The transcript comes through already converted from steno to English. But you need to know the steno (which comes up on the right side of your s/w program) and have the audio to make sure what you are editing it correctly. You can also edit from video transcripts, and live steno, where you are cleaning up proceedings while they are happening. You can learn all of these thing in the prgram I'm in.

I will evetually move out of MT'ing completely I hope. But I have to know that I have enough ongoing clients to be able to do that. I guess I could always part-time or IC, rather than full-time somewhere, rather than just quit and be left out in the cold. Like I said in my original post this is an ideal transition for an MT as it is similar work (but a lot more interesting), but you are self-employed, setting you own hours, no red tape bureaucracies. Work when you want, take off when you want. I have heard of people earning $4000 to $5000 a month.

But I stress, when looking foe a school, ask these questions of them? Do they teach live (on-line classes), do they have an internship program? Do they have a work leads program? Do they teach steno, formatting a transcript, use the Morson grammar for court reporters book? Do they have a final exam for graduation, and do they have a job leads program, of which you are a member for life. I only know of one school that does. Be careful with whom you sign up. You need that back up support that this school offers for the rest of your lidfe.
Scoping - Ancient typist
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, the last word should be life. Can't have poor spelling if you are a scopist!!
Who pays the scopist? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Just wondering who is actually paying the scopist? The court system?? I wouldn't think that the court stenographers would be making enough money to pay for someone else to do the scoping.

Similar Messages:

Scoping. Has Anyone Ever Done This?
Jul 01, 2010

I keep seeing this ad and it seems so interesting but I also feel it is probably as scam.  Does anyone have experience in this at all?  It seems like it would be so easy for a good transcriptionist to do this.  I'm just starting to so loathe my job and want a change. I even attempted the court reporting but I couldn't get past using phonetics instead of spelling words correctly.  It drove me crazy and it is very hard to train for one and work for ...

Scoping
Apr 17, 2014

I know I have read things about "scoping" on this board in the past but do not know what it is.  Anybody out there who can tell me what scoping is?  Any and all info would be appreciated.  if possible, I would appreciate a response on this board rather than email as I am experiencing some issues with my email currently.  Thanks in advance.   ...

Scoping Careers International Has Anyone Ever
Feb 20, 2010

checked into this option or actually worked with these people? ...

Scoping For Court Reporters
Jul 26, 2010

I am considering taking a scoping course/do reports for court reporters, may be in the future to make a switch from medical transcription.  Anyone has any advice for me.  Thanks. ...

Scoping Careers International
Aug 28, 2010

Just wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge of this company.  Scoping Careers International Thanks! ...

Has Anyone Researched Court Reporting Or Scoping? SM
Oct 19, 2010

All of my work seems to be going to EMR or voice recognition.  I have three kids and I need to stay financially stable.  As I hang on to my last account, I am looking to go back to school.  I dont know where to go.  I was thinking about court reporting and/or scoping work.  Does anyone know where I can find information on these careers? Better yet, does anyone have personal experiencing working within this field? ...

Success Doing VR Anyone?
Jun 30, 2011

With a lot of negativity towards VR by MTs and with very good reason, is there any MT who is having SUCCESS with VR?  Even if you can't stand VR, are you still maintaining decent production/income with it? ...

Does Anybody Know If Judy Barrett's Scoping School Is Still In Business?
May 29, 2014

I have seen the scoping discussed in the archives and just wondered if this school was still in business as I see nothing new about it online since a lawsuit in 2010. Anybody know anything?      ...

FTR Success Story
Mar 15, 2010

Ok... I made it thorugh my first day of FTR with no QA markers sent to QA or client and no guessing.   Look at how smart I am MedQuist!!!  I just did not realize my own potential until you dangled the 3 cpl pay cut in front of my nose.   Mark one on my side of the board. ...

Tips For Success With VR
May 14, 2010

Learning to use VR can be accomplished by any MT who has solid MT skills and is knowledgeable about their work.  I do not believe newbies or grads within their first 2 years should be using VR without QA backup (just my opinion). 1.  You have to want to learn to use it effectively.  If you try to do it kicking and screaming, being obstinant, you simply will hinder your learning curve and depth significantly.  2.  It takes time.  You will not learn it overnight.&nb ...

Has Anyone Had Any Success Using QCare?
Sep 12, 2010

Has anyone had any success using QCare?  When a problem is submitted, how does it get answered?  Do they call you or do they type their answer on that form somewhere?  I'm lost. ...

Where Do MTs Go From Here? Anybody Had Success Leaving?
Jul 09, 2013

With the MT business completely flushed down the toilet to nonexistence, where does an experienced MT go when this certification means absolutely nothing in the job market these days?? ...

Going Back To School - Info On Court Reporting And/or Scoping?
Nov 06, 2010

Anybody have any info on court reporting and/or scoping? ...

Tips For VR Success (what Worked For Me)
Oct 20, 2009

Trust me, I understand the agony of going from transcription to editing.  If you have a great dictator, it’s not so bad but fewer accounts and fewer dictators fit that bill any more.    Doing editing on a heavier basis daily also begins to make it more of a concern if you are not making up the difference in your production compared with your transcription line counts. Here’s how I worked my skill set up to where I needed it to be.   There are several th ...

Anyone Posted Resume With Success
Mar 15, 2010

Just wondering if anyone has ever posted their resume on this site under resumes where you have to log in and successfully been offered a "decent" job on here.  You can list how much per line you are looking for.  Would love to get back to over 12 cents again after recent paycut.....pretty sure that is an impossible dream at this point!  Hate to list a resume and be contacted by companies that pay so low or are not even legit.  Just wondered how many have ...

Anyone Had Success Leaving MT For A Clerical/
Nov 18, 2011

secretarial job in a doctor's office and/or hospital?  The ads always seem to want customer service experience and you don't get that working at home as an MT.  Thanks in advance for any help. ...

Has Anyone Found Success After Leaving MT?
Nov 26, 2012

I am going for a degree in counseling. I'm scared to death because i have not worked away from home in almost two decades. I get belly aches just thinking about it. However, it has been a dream of mine to get into the psychology field since high school. Times have changed and I have no idea if I will find a job out of college. I'm scared to say the least. So far, I have my associates, a certificate and will start on my BA next year. I worry there will be too much typing or pape ...

Please Share Your Success Story On Getting
Sep 30, 2013

I still have a good 15 months left of school, at least, and this place is just killing me mentally, emotionally, physically.  I love studying for my classes, though I have such little time for just that, because it is going to lead me to a life without MM, but I need your inspiring stories.  Share anything and everything you are willing to about your escape, please.  Hopefully there will be many responses because my intent is to then bookmark this page and refer to it often when I ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Success Stories?
Nov 12, 2009

I'd like some advice from those out there that are using this.  I have 32-bit Vista.  I have heard that version 10 is a nightmare to install with cruddy tech support from Nuance.  Therefore, I am considering going with version 9 Preferred if I can find it.  I can't afford the Medical software, but I have heard of MTs having good results with training the Preferred version to medical words.  My hands are bothering me, and I need to get this software to help out with reports.  ...

Recent Change To M-Modal, Anyone Have Great Success With This VR System? I Think It Stinks.
Jan 30, 2010

I have been using this system for a couple of months now and was hoping it was going to get better, but it really has not.   Is there anyone who is have great success on this system?  Do you work on another VR system that you really like and can make $20/hr or more on? I am just wondering if it is M-Modal or the way ours is set up, or what.   By the time I pay for my insurance, computer costs, software, taxes, etc.  , there is not a lot of m ...

How Bout A New Board Here - "Success After Transcription"..
May 03, 2011

I'm halfway serious.  Some sort of board with practical, helpful/hopeful insight by those who've left transcription and have found employment in other areas, and not necessarily coding/billing or nursing.  Of course, I know we're all pretty much on our own but since this website has been so useful and helpful (to me at least) in making contact with other transcribers, would like to still believe there are other possibilities for us if this p ...

Changing Careers Maybe--any Info On "Scoping Careers" Sm
Apr 11, 2010

Does anyone know anything about this company and/or this program/career?  Thinking of changing careers.  Thanks in advance for your help! ...