A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Please share your success story on getting - away from this company. I need a pep talk.

Posted: Sep 30, 2013

I still have a good 15 months left of school, at least, and this place is just killing me mentally, emotionally, physically.  I love studying for my classes, though I have such little time for just that, because it is going to lead me to a life without MM, but I need your inspiring stories.  Share anything and everything you are willing to about your escape, please.  Hopefully there will be many responses because my intent is to then bookmark this page and refer to it often when I feel like I can't take another day of this.  Thank you!!!!

Sorry. I got nothing - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I'm so happy - RADMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I quit MModal 3 weeks ago! I felt the same way as you do and decided you only live once, and I want to live it by being happy at what I do. I do transcription for a local radiologist here, make 4 times the money, and love it! Good luck with your schooling and I wish you could find something else to do while you finish school that makes you happy. Life is too short! Good luck and there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you!

Beautiful - thank you!! - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish I could find something else too, but I just haven't found anything that pays any better, either the same or even worse, which is unfathomable. I agree "you only live once," so it is of the utmost importance to live each day happy and not so full of dread and worry. Thank you for posting!

I have looked too, can't find any MT that pays better than M2 - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
one was an IC at 7/4, obviously no benefits or holiday pay. The other was 6 cpl for both straight and VR. I was like, screw it i will stay here and tough it out
MT pay, etc - redmaj
[ In Reply To ..]
It is a sad, sad situation. I just dont understand it. We need an associates degree for this job, and LOTS of experienc to make money being paid per line. Never thought I would say "back in the day" regarding transcription, but we used to be one of the highest paid professions in the medical field other than nursing, etc. What the hell happened????
Overseas happened! - radmt
[ In Reply To ..]
If a job can be sent overseas, no more high paid high producing for us. Period. I must edit 2000 lines to make $100. Guess to be considered lucky as at least that work is available. I'm trying today to see if its feasible for me. Or if I run out. I guess the latter.

Life is better - Be Brave

[ In Reply To ..]
I was laid off last month, I have looked into TAA and I am very interested. And I also have gotten a client of my own at a decent rate of pay, part time, which I can keep should I decide to take advantage of TAA, with the approval of TAA. Hang in there, life really is better without MM.

the great escape - MT Gone

[ In Reply To ..]
I as an MT for over 10 years. I loved it. Then "Medquist" (now MM) happened. I started laying a path for escape. I did it. Am I doing exactly what I want, No. Am I better off financially, yes. Am I treated better where I am now, yes. You've made a plan, keep telling yourself this too shall pass.....if you're determined enough it will.

Great advice - thank you everyone - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm more determined than ever and am keeping my eye on the prize, so to speak. I fantasize about being free of these chains, this unbelievable pressure to produce, literally, perfection on a daily basis day in and day out at the cost of my sanity. I once loved my job - LOVED it - but it has become this ridiculous work-at-home monstrosity that is apparently aimed toward housewives who just want a little pocket money instead of being valued for the skilled profession that it is. Our skills are valuable and necessary to provide quality patient care - why these MTSO's, especially MM, do not realize this I will never understand. I'm so tired of feeling like a factory worker on an assembly line in my own home. I'll bet many assembly line workers probably make even more money than we do.

Thank you for the encouraging words.

Best decision of my life - exMM

[ In Reply To ..]
I also quit MModal 3 weeks ago to take a job at a local hospital as an HIM tech. It's a high-pressure position working directly with the physicians, and I absolutely love it. Never a dull moment! The environment is the exact opposite of MM ~ I am told on a daily basis how much I'm appreciated. The fact that I have a life and responsibilities outside of work is understood and respected. For the time being at least, I can work all the overtime I want. Everyone who works in the facility in ANY capacity is treated with respect. I come home every day exhausted but excited about what the future holds. It took me 2 years to find a job in this small town with decent pay ~ still not what I was making as an MT prior to off-shoring and speech wreck destroyed the industry, but with definite opportunity for advancement and OT I am far better off now and in the long run. Even my kids have commented on the change in my attitude and how much happier I am. Hang in there! There is life after MM, and it's an incredibly better one!

Similar Messages:

FTR Success Story
Mar 15, 2010

Ok... I made it thorugh my first day of FTR with no QA markers sent to QA or client and no guessing.   Look at how smart I am MedQuist!!!  I just did not realize my own potential until you dangled the 3 cpl pay cut in front of my nose.   Mark one on my side of the board. ...

Success Doing VR Anyone?
Jun 30, 2011

With a lot of negativity towards VR by MTs and with very good reason, is there any MT who is having SUCCESS with VR?  Even if you can't stand VR, are you still maintaining decent production/income with it? ...

Tips For Success With VR
May 14, 2010

Learning to use VR can be accomplished by any MT who has solid MT skills and is knowledgeable about their work.  I do not believe newbies or grads within their first 2 years should be using VR without QA backup (just my opinion). 1.  You have to want to learn to use it effectively.  If you try to do it kicking and screaming, being obstinant, you simply will hinder your learning curve and depth significantly.  2.  It takes time.  You will not learn it overnight.&nb ...

Has Anyone Had Any Success Using QCare?
Sep 12, 2010

Has anyone had any success using QCare?  When a problem is submitted, how does it get answered?  Do they call you or do they type their answer on that form somewhere?  I'm lost. ...

Anyone Had Success With Scoping?
Oct 05, 2010

Sick of the virtual sweat shops of medical transcription.  Anyone had success with switcing to scoping??  How do you get employed in this field.  I never see any particular companies hiring for this.  I would guess that after you finish the program you would just advertise your services?  Any insights apprecitated. ...

Where Do MTs Go From Here? Anybody Had Success Leaving?
Jul 09, 2013

With the MT business completely flushed down the toilet to nonexistence, where does an experienced MT go when this certification means absolutely nothing in the job market these days?? ...

Tips For VR Success (what Worked For Me)
Oct 20, 2009

Trust me, I understand the agony of going from transcription to editing.  If you have a great dictator, it’s not so bad but fewer accounts and fewer dictators fit that bill any more.    Doing editing on a heavier basis daily also begins to make it more of a concern if you are not making up the difference in your production compared with your transcription line counts. Here’s how I worked my skill set up to where I needed it to be.   There are several th ...

Anyone Posted Resume With Success
Mar 15, 2010

Just wondering if anyone has ever posted their resume on this site under resumes where you have to log in and successfully been offered a "decent" job on here.  You can list how much per line you are looking for.  Would love to get back to over 12 cents again after recent paycut.....pretty sure that is an impossible dream at this point!  Hate to list a resume and be contacted by companies that pay so low or are not even legit.  Just wondered how many have ...

Anyone Had Success Leaving MT For A Clerical/
Nov 18, 2011

secretarial job in a doctor's office and/or hospital?  The ads always seem to want customer service experience and you don't get that working at home as an MT.  Thanks in advance for any help. ...

Has Anyone Found Success After Leaving MT?
Nov 26, 2012

I am going for a degree in counseling. I'm scared to death because i have not worked away from home in almost two decades. I get belly aches just thinking about it. However, it has been a dream of mine to get into the psychology field since high school. Times have changed and I have no idea if I will find a job out of college. I'm scared to say the least. So far, I have my associates, a certificate and will start on my BA next year. I worry there will be too much typing or pape ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Success Stories?
Nov 12, 2009

I'd like some advice from those out there that are using this.  I have 32-bit Vista.  I have heard that version 10 is a nightmare to install with cruddy tech support from Nuance.  Therefore, I am considering going with version 9 Preferred if I can find it.  I can't afford the Medical software, but I have heard of MTs having good results with training the Preferred version to medical words.  My hands are bothering me, and I need to get this software to help out with reports.  ...

Recent Change To M-Modal, Anyone Have Great Success With This VR System? I Think It Stinks.
Jan 30, 2010

I have been using this system for a couple of months now and was hoping it was going to get better, but it really has not.   Is there anyone who is have great success on this system?  Do you work on another VR system that you really like and can make $20/hr or more on? I am just wondering if it is M-Modal or the way ours is set up, or what.   By the time I pay for my insurance, computer costs, software, taxes, etc.  , there is not a lot of m ...

My TTS Story
May 01, 2010

Here is my TTS story.  I was hired by the owner in July, 2007 as an IC.  I liked the owner. She seemed a down-to-earth logical person who cared about her company, her employees and had a degree of integrity you don't find at the national companies. She asked me what I was looking for and after I explained she understood the type of account I needed and placed me on an account that suited my needs.  No bait and switch which is pretty common pract ...

My Story
Mar 03, 2013

When I was 50 years old, I got fed up with making a low salary, so I decided to go back to school. I started University of Phoenix and majored in IT.  This past December, at 54 years old, I graduated. Before I graduated, I started getting scared that at my age I would not find an entry level job in a young male dominated industry.  I had a few really bad interviews. A week ago, I was hired as an IT Project Manager, and this year I will make close to $100,000. My last several paychec ...

Same Old Story
Mar 29, 2015

Same old story--lost my good hourly-paying, direct-employee job and wondered what to do next. I started looking into records because to me it seemed a good move for a transcriptionist to make. It took some time but I did get a job in records--and I hate it.  I'll do my best and learn what I can, but now I'm glad I didn't spend time and money getting certified in records before having actually worked in it. It might be worth trying another records job elsewhere, since eac ...

Ugh, Same Story Every Time
Nov 05, 2011

I am honest when interviewing with prospective companies/MTSOs. I tell them my experience then tell them I'm ready and able to work.  Will they have at least 1000 lines a day for me to work? Would there ever be a chance for 1500+ per day/per "shift"? Guess what?  They ALWAYS say yes. They ALWAYS say, "Oh, it's very rare we ever run out of work!  You won't find that problem HERE with us!" Guess what again?  Still ALWAYS running out of work.  Seems 500-800 ...

My Nuance Story
Apr 29, 2012

I'm not on here to bash Nuance.  I am here to tell my story ...... you take from it what you want. I have been doing MT work for 8 years.  I have worked for several national companies.  I was EXTREMELY happy with my job and then Nuance came along and swallowed up our little transcription service just like it has done to so many others.  It was not all bad .........but most of it was.  Nuance, to be fair, does offer 401K, medical benefits, and PTO, even to their pa ...

A Sweatshop Story
Dec 31, 2012

My grandmother used to tell a story about working in a dress factory in the 1950s. They started her out sewing pockets. It was piecemeal work. She had to meet quota to keep her job. If she went so much over quota, she made a bonus. When she started making bonuses on pockets, they moved her to setting zippers. When she started making bonuses on zippers, they moved her to a different station. And on it went. Work, work, work, produce, produce, produce until the whistle blew. Can't ma ...

What's The Story, MT Glories?
May 23, 2014

Hi ladies (and the occasional gent) - I haven't popped in here for a bit.  Wondering what the scoop is as far as any decent online companies to work for at this point.  I've been an onsite MT for about 3.5 years now, but my place of employment has never heard of raises and I just had a big fat financial setback.  I'm currently thinking of trying to find some part-time work online (or even full-time, if bennies are provided).  I'd love to leave this employe ...

ICs - FedEX Story
Nov 05, 2014

Maybe things will change. http://wallstcheatsheet.com/business/why-businesses-claim-their-employees-arent-employees.html/?a=viewall ...

AHDI -- My HDS Story
May 20, 2015

They really want to hear our HDS stories?  Then let's tell them.   http://www.ahdionline.org/GetConnected/Events/NationalMedicalTranscriptionistWeek/tabid/185/Default.aspx ...

Anybody Wanna Hear My Story About VR?
Apr 29, 2010

I am a small MTSO. I had a pretty big hospital account that went to ES VR 2 years ago. The fallout for the hospital has been rather profound. They offered me 16 for straight and 8 for VR. I thought at the time that I could live with that if VR made MTs faster and they could earn virtually the same as for straight typing. Well, that didn't turn out and my MTs ran like scalded dogs! I have since learned through grapevine that they are in real big trouble. The remaining few hospital MTs are ed ...

MedQuist Cindarella Story
Jul 17, 2010

The day after I got my benefits letter and learned of another dollar per hour drop in pay, my husband, who works for a government-contracted company, tells me that the (uneducated, very average) wife of his coworker got hired on as a janitor (making more than me) and took a FORK LIFT class and now has been promoted and gotten a $7 PER HOUR raise.  I am supposed to leave on vacation in a few minutes.  All I want to do is cry.  It isn't even about the money at this point.& ...

Cinderella Story For Medquist-a Little Fun
Jul 22, 2010

In viewing some of the posts on this board, I noticed that some wanted to try to create a Cinderella story for the Q.  OK, then let's have a little fun with this.  The least I can do is offer some song lyrics.   As most of you know, there have been two well known productions of this classic, one by Disney and the other by Rogers and Hammerstein.  The Hammerstein version was shown on CBS TV with Leslie Ann Warren in the title role. I offer two sets of lyrics, one f ...

Same Ol Story, Season Is Starting. NJA. Sm
Nov 22, 2010

Here in South, NJA all last night and again this morning.  Cannot get on to MQMail either to contact my CCM.   In fact nothing on the message board will come up.  I need help from Support because the QCare program will not download either and seems to have disappeared from my computer.   Anyone else with NJA last night late (11 pm on)  and even this morning.  The system says it is green light and all is go.  Yeah right.   ...

There Was A Story On The News Last Night
Oct 17, 2011

She worked as a coder at a hospital that was bought/taken over by some new HMO (don't remember the name of it), and during staff meetings, they were telling the coders to replace one symptom description, such as "dizziness/fainting" with a more generalized neurological condition, because that condition caused the insurance companies to pay the hospital more.  The condition they wanted her to put was something rarely seen, one doctor said he saw 2 cases in ...

So What's The Story On Amphion? Good Or Bad?
Oct 20, 2011

Would love to hear the scoop on Amphion from anyone who works there or has recently worked there.  I'm thinking about applying there.  How is the pay, software, and benefits, and is there plenty of work?  Thanks in advance for any info I can get! ...

Wanting To Leave MM? Here's My Story
Jun 05, 2012

I started back when it was DDI. Anyone remember that? We had 2 accounts, 1 primary, 1 secondary. We rarely were without work. I absolutely loved it and we ALL KNEW our accounts inside and out. Changes came the last few years and not all good. You all know how difficult working for MM is so I won't go into that. Two summers ago I "thought" and was lead to believe, I would be able to work part-time at my local hospital. I was continuously told it all "looked like a go." For 5 months it "looke ...

What's The Real Story With Nuance
Oct 15, 2012

I see a lot of ads for Nuance lately and it seems like there are MTs saying there is no work for them.  What is the real scoop?  Just want to know if it would be worthwhile to apply to them or if I would be sitting around with no work.  Not a big fan of big MTSO... but needing some work and willing to compromise if I must.  Thanks in advance!  ...

A Rare Story Of Hope....
Mar 12, 2014

I worked for my local hospital for 11 years. I decided to start working from home and went with OmniMed (great company out of Fargo). Not long after, they were bought out by MedQuist. That began the downhill slide that got worse and worse. My work was outsourced to India. I then went to Spheris which was great at first, but then that work disappeared and they were bought out. On to TTS (nightmare). Then to Landmark (no work). I was going to get out of this business FOR GOOD when I saw an ...