A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Dragon Naturally Speaking success stories? - Curious

Posted: Nov 12, 2009

I'd like some advice from those out there that are using this.  I have 32-bit Vista.  I have heard that version 10 is a nightmare to install with cruddy tech support from Nuance.  Therefore, I am considering going with version 9 Preferred if I can find it.  I can't afford the Medical software, but I have heard of MTs having good results with training the Preferred version to medical words.  My hands are bothering me, and I need to get this software to help out with reports.  I'd be interested in hearing success stories or warnings from anyone else using this software, particulary those using Vista.  Also, please let me know which version you are having success with.    Thanks! 

DNS - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]

I had a 64-bit Vista system (before I upgraded to Windows 7) and DNS 10 Preferred installed flawlessly on my computer. But before you make the purchase, you need to make sure you have the proper sound card/pod and microphone with your system, or you'll have less than optimal success with accuracy.

Which version of DNS you choose will depend a lot on what type of transcription you do and how many files you have saved "in the archives" on your system. My recommendations are:
1.  Acute care with very little files saved - Medical Suite
2.  Acute care with lots and lots of files saved - Professional Suite
3.  A few specialties (clinic stuff) - Preferred version

I will be happy to discuss my experiences with DNS, so please feel free to respond via email and I'll tell you everything you want to know.  Cool

Similar Messages:

Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.5
Dec 16, 2011

I have the Standard version 10 and had to deal with a lot of bug issues with it.  I love the program, but I didn't like the constant problems with trying to download updates, etc.  (I have Vista).    I wondered if anyone else out there bought this updated version and was pleased with it.  I'm hoping to hear that they have the bugs worked out of this program, as the program itself is great and a valuable assest to an MT who types in Word.  Any feedback a ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Instead Of Transcribing?
Nov 06, 2009

Has anyone used Dragon NS instead of transcribing?  Does it take a long time to train it?  Is it really faster and worth the money?  Thanks! ...

Addendum To Dragon Naturally Speaking....
Jan 18, 2010

I was thinking of using this as a replacement for typing/transcribing.  For example when I hear the dictation, I then repeat it to the Dragon voice recognition software, and it types for me. (You need to read the post before this one for it to all make sense -- sorry!) Thanks, Abby ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking & Medrite
Sep 24, 2010

Does anyone know if Dragon Naturally Speaking can work with the old verson of the old Medrite transcription platform? Thanks. ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Standard 10
Aug 28, 2011

I purchased and installed this application for some classes I am taking.  I thought it would save time with notes etc and it does ------ when functioning properly. I also contemplated the medical version for my transcription.   It is probably just me, I am sure, but I just do not know how to fine tune.  The only thing I know to do when I run into a problem is to uninstall and rei nstall.  To my knowledge there is no technical support. &nb ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking - Voice Recognition Software
Jan 18, 2010

Hi, I have been researching this voice recognition software, and have found that about a third of MTs think it is not faster than typing, another third thinks it does not work well at all, and the final third thinks it does improve productivity.  Does anyone have any input here as to a few more opinions? Thanks, Abby ...

Does Anybody Use Dragon Naturally Speaking To Echo Dictate (redictate)?
Nov 08, 2010

I've tried to use the search function, but either it's not working properly or I'm not doing something right (I suspect it's not working right now).  I work for a company with a Web-based transcription platform (straight typing).  What I want to try to do to improve my productivity is to buy Dragon Naturally Speaking, load it onto my computer, echo dictate (redictate) what my docs are saying, and then cut and paste the software's output into the platform windo ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking - Is There Better Voice Recognition Software Out There?
Mar 22, 2012

Has anyone ever used Dragon Naturally Speaking to type up their work? Or is there better voice recognition software out there? I'm thinking if I just speak intead of type, won't that be faster? But I do not want to make the investment if it won't work or be worth it. Thanks so much! ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking - Geting A Little Frustrated Wtih It
Aug 10, 2012

Has anyone tired using the Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11.0 software to do their transcription?  I recently bought just the basic one and have been trying to use it but am geting a little frustrated wtih it and just wondered if anyone has had any success in using it and I want to know if I'm wasting my time training it for medical transcription? ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Compatible With Scribe Platform?
Oct 02, 2014

I'm wondering if anyone knows if Dragon Naturally Speaking is compatible with Transportal's platform, I believe it's Scribe?  This is the home version, which worked quite well in the past.  I know there are a few that won't allow third party software and the program will be blocked.  I understand why as regard to HIPAA, etc.  I'm just trying to keep working as long as I can with RA. If anyone is using Dragon in conjunction with MTSO platform, I' ...

Give Me Stories On Being CONFUSED At A New Job...
Jul 21, 2010

With account specifics and software at first, but then finally getting it. I can type dictation just fine, it's just learning software and account specifics for a new jobs that ALWAYS gets me down. I will not give up on this job though. Or really, I can't. I'm financially strapped, so I must do this job, even if it kills me. LOL. Any stories and/or tips on getting through the learning curve of a new job? ...

New Contest: 6.1 Download Stories
Oct 02, 2010

We need a new contest for download disastors.  I win.  My computer wouldn't accept the download.  Support tried to fix it for a week, then sent a new MQ computer.  When it arrived, I was on my way to the door to get it.  Our German shepherd got excited and up ended me.  I laid there with a nicely fractured hip.  Fed Ex handed me the plate to sign through the door and I waited quietly for the ambulance.   I am now on short term disability.  ...

Positive Stories Of Getting A Job With A RHIT
Dec 28, 2014

Are there any positive stories of getting a job with a RHIT? I've read a lot of stories of a RHIT being a waste of time, but can anyone give me positive examples of getting a job with this degree? ...

Success Doing VR Anyone?
Jun 30, 2011

With a lot of negativity towards VR by MTs and with very good reason, is there any MT who is having SUCCESS with VR?  Even if you can't stand VR, are you still maintaining decent production/income with it? ...

FTR Success Story
Mar 15, 2010

Ok... I made it thorugh my first day of FTR with no QA markers sent to QA or client and no guessing.   Look at how smart I am MedQuist!!!  I just did not realize my own potential until you dangled the 3 cpl pay cut in front of my nose.   Mark one on my side of the board. ...

Tips For Success With VR
May 14, 2010

Learning to use VR can be accomplished by any MT who has solid MT skills and is knowledgeable about their work.  I do not believe newbies or grads within their first 2 years should be using VR without QA backup (just my opinion). 1.  You have to want to learn to use it effectively.  If you try to do it kicking and screaming, being obstinant, you simply will hinder your learning curve and depth significantly.  2.  It takes time.  You will not learn it overnight.&nb ...

Has Anyone Had Any Success Using QCare?
Sep 12, 2010

Has anyone had any success using QCare?  When a problem is submitted, how does it get answered?  Do they call you or do they type their answer on that form somewhere?  I'm lost. ...

Anyone Had Success With Scoping?
Oct 05, 2010

Sick of the virtual sweat shops of medical transcription.  Anyone had success with switcing to scoping??  How do you get employed in this field.  I never see any particular companies hiring for this.  I would guess that after you finish the program you would just advertise your services?  Any insights apprecitated. ...

Where Do MTs Go From Here? Anybody Had Success Leaving?
Jul 09, 2013

With the MT business completely flushed down the toilet to nonexistence, where does an experienced MT go when this certification means absolutely nothing in the job market these days?? ...

Tips For VR Success (what Worked For Me)
Oct 20, 2009

Trust me, I understand the agony of going from transcription to editing.  If you have a great dictator, it’s not so bad but fewer accounts and fewer dictators fit that bill any more.    Doing editing on a heavier basis daily also begins to make it more of a concern if you are not making up the difference in your production compared with your transcription line counts. Here’s how I worked my skill set up to where I needed it to be.   There are several th ...

Anyone Posted Resume With Success
Mar 15, 2010

Just wondering if anyone has ever posted their resume on this site under resumes where you have to log in and successfully been offered a "decent" job on here.  You can list how much per line you are looking for.  Would love to get back to over 12 cents again after recent paycut.....pretty sure that is an impossible dream at this point!  Hate to list a resume and be contacted by companies that pay so low or are not even legit.  Just wondered how many have ...

Anyone Had Success Leaving MT For A Clerical/
Nov 18, 2011

secretarial job in a doctor's office and/or hospital?  The ads always seem to want customer service experience and you don't get that working at home as an MT.  Thanks in advance for any help. ...

Has Anyone Found Success After Leaving MT?
Nov 26, 2012

I am going for a degree in counseling. I'm scared to death because i have not worked away from home in almost two decades. I get belly aches just thinking about it. However, it has been a dream of mine to get into the psychology field since high school. Times have changed and I have no idea if I will find a job out of college. I'm scared to say the least. So far, I have my associates, a certificate and will start on my BA next year. I worry there will be too much typing or pape ...

Please Share Your Success Story On Getting
Sep 30, 2013

I still have a good 15 months left of school, at least, and this place is just killing me mentally, emotionally, physically.  I love studying for my classes, though I have such little time for just that, because it is going to lead me to a life without MM, but I need your inspiring stories.  Share anything and everything you are willing to about your escape, please.  Hopefully there will be many responses because my intent is to then bookmark this page and refer to it often when I ...

Recent Change To M-Modal, Anyone Have Great Success With This VR System? I Think It Stinks.
Jan 30, 2010

I have been using this system for a couple of months now and was hoping it was going to get better, but it really has not.   Is there anyone who is have great success on this system?  Do you work on another VR system that you really like and can make $20/hr or more on? I am just wondering if it is M-Modal or the way ours is set up, or what.   By the time I pay for my insurance, computer costs, software, taxes, etc.  , there is not a lot of m ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

Speaking Up At Webquist
Mar 18, 2010

Please see my post under the latest Webquist post.  We must band together..... ...

Speaking Of Shorthand
Feb 11, 2012

I have had Shorthand for about a year and have never had a problem with it. Recently I noticed some of the words I have in it type out wrong. Costing me a lot of time to have to go back and fix. Sometimes if I erase and type again, then it will come out correctly. Anyone have a similar problem with Shorthand? Would it have anything to do with my license expiring in about 3 weeks?  ...

Speaking Of Lawsuits
Aug 24, 2012

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/illinois/ilndce/1:2012cv05571/271621/   Found this on a Google search.  Is this old news?  It doesn't seem as though you can get any information about it anywhere. ...

English Speaking, I Think NOT!
Jul 03, 2013

Just got done transcribing garbage...there is no way that was any kind of English I recognized. Awful Asian dialect! ...