A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

(again) got a call this time from a nurse - sm

Posted: Mar 02, 2013

and she knew someone who is almost retirement age, having trouble making ends meet, no husband -- now she didn't know if she could spell, but she could probably  type -- and figured maybe she could do what I am doing.  She didn't get along well with people, so it would have to be an at-home position.  ARRRRRGGGGG!!!!  and could I help her...

now I have had numerous calls such as these over the years, but from a NURSE!?  You'd think at least she might have an understanding of what is required for transcription.  It is so sad that we are required to know so much, get paid so little and then not even have the common respect of people in the medical field.

I transitioned from nurse to MT with no problems at all. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

you seem to have misunderstood my post - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
this was a nurse inquiring about her friend. A friend who cleaned houses all her life, that she thought could instead start doing transcription.

From the looks of things in this thread your - post was not clear. The responders (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
aren't the issue. Your post is rather confusing, but whatever.... LOL
That made you LOL? - hmm...
[ In Reply To ..]
Im not the poster who posted LOL, but the entire - thread actually made me laugh when
[ In Reply To ..]
I read it :)
I understood the post when I read it and it makes - me angry. I have SM
[ In Reply To ..]
had inquiries like this several times from people who just want to work at home, have no training whatsoever for this job, and this it sounds easy. I'll tell you one thing. At least for me, this job has become more difficult now with all these platforms, specifics for each hospital and even each doctor, having to account for every minute of time I am working (being paid by production this is not necessary as no one is trying to steal time from the company obviously), on and on. It seems the ability to transcribe is now way down on the list of abilities for this job now. In any case, it seems only MTs understand the knowledge we must have in order to do this job accurately. Such a shame.
I agree completely! nm - angry as well.
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Do you have an ad posted somewhere - how do they get your number

[ In Reply To ..]
You have had numerous calls such as these over the years? Where do they get your number? Why not just tell the nurse as soon as she trains you to be a nurse, you will train her to be an MT.

Mabye you shouldnt tell people what you do for a living!

:) to you OP. I'm not surprised at your clueless nurse. - Chances are excellent she has never

[ In Reply To ..]
been good at written English herself. A talent for written language is not necessary to enter the field, and a lot of people are hard wired to take in information best in other ways--through talking, listening, touching, etc. Reading resorted to when other means fail.

I certainly wish all would-be practitioners were tested for adequate competence for written form--enough that they don't shy away from it. Strange (and appalling) to say, some can struggle through school adequately but afterward still take in much more info from hearing and observing than from reading the charts. I saw this early on in a hospital, when I'd notice something missed that was clearly written on the chart but not read.

(This eye-opening experience is why I always religiously break text into paragraphs, delete extra words where appropriate, and number everything that can be numbered. I worry about the patients.)

In any case, we can't expect the respect that comes with understanding from those who have never known--or cared to know--the petty nothings of why a semicolon might be more functional than a comma, and vice versa. :)

Flame away but - these posts get tiring.

[ In Reply To ..]
Being an MT is hard in many ways, and the nurse should probably know that spelling is obviously an important part of our jobs, but this attitude that what WE type is IMPORTANT stuff, therefore others couldn't POSSIBLY understand it? C'mon. We don't MAKE the medical decisions, we REPORT them. And we get to do it one at a time in a nice, orderly fashion, not all happening at once, and we don't have the thought in the back of our heads every single time that somebody might die if we screw up. This was just a curious person wondering if her medical knowledge might be useful in another venue. One of the things I like about MT is the knowledge that I will be able to do this long after so-called "retirement age," assuming my hearing and brainbox are still intact. This is just a person who wanted info. It seems like we can educate without attaching all the "how dare you not appreciate the depth of my knowledge" outrage.

The nurse didnt want to know if her knowledge - would be useful in another venue

[ In Reply To ..]
she was asking for a friend who cleaned houses for a living and apparently had no medical background. It's not that what we do is so critical, it's the fact that people think anybody can just sit down and do "your little job at home" as I have had it stated to me. Just annoying.

thanks for understanding. - no message/OP

[ In Reply To ..]
x

People who dont read the complete posts before answering - are so tiring

[ In Reply To ..]
yawn...

No job is immune from this - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Did you understand what is involved in MT before you learned it? Why would anyone else?

People just don't know what anybody else does until they can do it themselves, and that includes you.

There is a perfect example of this right on this board. At least weekly, if not more often, an MT will make a statement about coding that is based in a lack of understanding of what coding is. It is based on what the MT thinks coding is because of what they think they see or because of what they assume must be the case.

Outsiders think MT is typing because that is what they see--they do not hear the dictation from your end and have no clue how difficult it is to learn it.

Outsiders think coding is copying numbers from a book. They think it is some kind of nonprofessional clerical work. It involves a desk anda computer, which to them equals clerical work. They also have no notion of any type of job involving code sets other than front-line "coder," and they thus think that the minute some computer can do that there will be no future for coding.

We only know what we know, we are not aware of what we do not know, and we think we know it all anyway. We are all guilty of it. Nurses do not know what is involved with MT, MTs do not know what is involved with coding, and on and on.

Similar Messages:

Reporting Time Pay Aka On Call Or Call-in Pay
May 08, 2015

I am considering requesting this pay which (depending on the state) considers us to be on-call and must be paid for part of our shift if no work. I have had it up to here with Nuance and running out of work, adding more and more accounts and STILL no work. Got a second job and STILL being screwed by Nuance in the sense that I cannot rely on my first job (income wise), because when there is enough work they manage to screw my cpl with their lovely FIESA, then as soon as I have no errors the work ...

EQUIFAX Call Center In India - Time To Say No More!
Oct 14, 2010

I just got off the phone with customer service for EQUIFAX, i.e., one of the three major credit bureaus that your banks, credit card companies, courts, etc., report your financial information to.  Basically, if you have ever had a loan, lein, or judgement, they know about you.    In any case, I was checking my credit score and there was a problem requiring me to call customer service.  I called and was answered by Raj, who had an obvious dialect tha ...

For Conference Call Time For Listening To Vern's
Aug 11, 2012

Town Hall meeting do we put 1 hour or 1/2 hour? The conference call lasted approx 30/40 minutes but his email said 1 hour. How much time did you put in Teamwork for this? ...

S/l IFE Or Nurse
Nov 13, 2012

A PICC line was placed in the ICU by the _____ nurse. Sounds like IFE nurse or ivy nurse, but I haven't found any references to either.  ...

For Those Of You Thinking About Becoming A Nurse
Jan 07, 2010

I just heard tonight from a lady who has been in school studying to become a nurse. She told me basically her schooling is now over. She made a 74.? in pharmacology and you have to have at least 75. She says she has spent so much money, really applied herself and now all that is over. There is only the 1 time, she tells me and she missed it. ...

Which Course For Experienced Nurse
Aug 11, 2010

I am looking into MT programs and wondering about one which advertises that it is geared to nurses: MT@Home Medical Transcription. It costs significantly less than the three programs which I see referenced quite a bit  -Andrews, M-Tec and Career Step, but it seems like these programs involve so much material that I already know. Years ago I did transcription for nurses, I've worked in hopitals/home and office environments as a nurse (also years ago) and I worked in pharmaceutical sales ...

To The Nurse Practitioner...
Feb 21, 2013

Just wanted to dedicate this post to the nurse practitioner who coughed very LOUDLY throughout two 10-minute reports I just did. Just to let you know, there is such a thing called the MUTE BUTTON. Thank you so much for just about blowing my ear drums out. I literally had to pull my ear plugs out so you wouldn't render me deaf. I feel sorry for whoever uses that dirty, germ-filled phone after you hacked a lung into it. Oh, and BTW, the phrase "carotid bruits" is not pronounced carotid brew- ...

Nurse Medical Transcriptionists ??
Jun 26, 2011

I came across an ad recently catering to unemployed new registered nurses who need jobs badly. I am understanding that the market for RNs and healthcare in general is saturated and then some; however, this article specifically stated "Nurse Medical Transcriptionists." I saw it on All Nurses forum; I don't remember the company . . . BUT a lot of nurses were responding with interest because they can't get jobs. The only thing that was running through my mind was "you have no idea people ...

RHIT Or Registered Nurse
Apr 15, 2012

Just wondering what the majority thinks about these career paths. It seems as though a lot of MTs are moving or considering a move  to the RHIT/RHIA world of especially medical coding. I am assuming that the lure of 'work at home' is pulling many in this direction, and I have actually seen where many are questioning whether medical coders are 'paid per code' or 'paid per case' or what? I asked myself what are these people thinking? Has anyone experienced this, ...

Anyone Went Back To School To Be A Nurse Or Rad Tech?
Dec 11, 2009

I need to find a real job with benefits and insurance so I am thinking about going to school to be a LPN or radiology tech.  Anyone done either of these?  Did you feel like your MT background helped in the courses?  I am 40 so I will have to take all that math and english before I can do anything.  Any advice.....?  Thanks ...

Registered Nurse Wants To Break Into MT Field
Jan 18, 2010

I have been working in this field for many, many years.  When I started, it was a little easier to break into this field.  It was in an era when everyone didn't work at home and every company didn't require 2 years experience.  I figured the newbies on this board would know the answer to my question.  I have a friend who has been an RN for years and would like to break into the MT field.  Being that she has terminology/medical experience, is there any way ...

Nurse Practitioner Dictating For Physician
Jan 19, 2010

I have a physician who needs ideas of verbage at the bottom of dictation in which his nurse practitioner dictates notes for him on patient's that they see together.  Has anyone provided anything like this before?  Any ideas? ...

Records Abstractor Jobs - Why Do They Want A Nurse?
Sep 06, 2012

And other types of medical records jobs as well.  Explain to me what makes a nurse qualified to do these jobs?  ...

Nurse's Or Nurses' Notes Which Is Correct?
Feb 17, 2014

Is it always correct to use nurses' notes in dictation?  My reasoning is that it is yes because there could be more than one nurse charting on the case.   ...

To Dictating Nurse Eating Lunch
Dec 21, 2014

That was such a clever idea to multitask and eat your lunch while dictating, killing two birds with one stone, as they say.  It's so cute and funny hearing muffled words through your chomps and swallows.  I wish I could return the gesture and make your day more pleasant too.  Merry Christmas. ...

Ran Into A Trauma Nurse Yesterday This Isn't Good News
Mar 31, 2013

Of course we start talking about everything. Well my local hospital surgeons no longer dictate. Their medical students follow them around and are in charge of keeping track of everything and then later going in and entering it in the computer. This is a HUGE group of hospitals and I am sure impacts a lot of us. Also, my local doctors have begun bringing their computers into the room when your in for whatever, and doing the paperwork right there, on your dime or the insurance companies dime, ...

S/L VSE Protocol For Accidental Needle Stick Of A Nurse?
Jan 24, 2014

Not sure if they are saying VSE, PSE or BSE?  It's a protocol if a nurse or healthcare worker accidentially sticks themselves with a needle and I tried googling, but I can't find anything definitive.    TIA ...

Dear Dictating Nurse Practitioner, Please Organize Your Thoughts
Oct 14, 2014

I am not allowed to think for you! Sincerely, The Typing Zombie   I have done three extremely long H&Ps dictated by the same nurse practitioner and OMG.  She has dictated the entire physical exam and in the middle of dictating the extremities, she says, "He has been wearing O2 2 liters nasal cannula during the daytime hours."  No, go back up and put this in under vitals or respiratory.  Just, "There is peripheral edema.  Pedal pules are normal.  Skin is ...

Why Do MTSO Advertise, But Never Call Or If They Do Call, Nothing.
Feb 20, 2012

I am tired and frustrated from applying and sending out resumes only to be ignored.  It is like a game with them, I think.  MedGarde even has an interview which has absolutely nothing to do with your skills or qualifications.  In fact it seems like psychological testing to see if you are mentally competent or something like that.  I swear I feel like a mouse that is being tested and run through a maze to see how well you perform, but even mice will get the prize or food event ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

EKG Nurse Keeps Saying "teeny Q Waves"
Apr 02, 2011

hi nurse keeps saying "teeny Q waves". Is this right? i am new to cardiology. ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

Overtime Because Of The Time Clock Time Zone Change?
Feb 06, 2011

It has been inconvenient, and maybe a bit confusing at times, to check my time card hours for my shift as, because of my time zone, part of my hours show up on the next day because I work 2nd shift. I wonder if I will get overtime for yesterday, even though I did not work overtime. I had to start work several hours early because of maintenance, so all hours were completed before the hour my hours start showing up on the next day. Fine. But the last couple hours of yesterday show up as today, ...

Anybody Else's Actual Time Worked Not Match Clocked Time?
Jun 13, 2011

Ever since they have changed Schedule Source and now it has a display called today's activity with "actuals" hours, this has not matched the hours shown with the time clock punches and is less than the hours according to the clock punch. The difference adds up to a significant amount over time. I am really suspicious about being jypped paywise. ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...

The New MQ Time Clock Time Zone Change
Jan 04, 2011

is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Like I'm going to remember 6 months from now to ask for my PTO in CST time when I am in EST time zone.  MQ is the screwiest company I have ever worked for. ...