A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Can someone please explain the legality in only paying for 88% of transcribed lines? - HangingInThere

Posted: Dec 14, 2014

How is Nuance able to legally justify paying only 88% of typed lines?  I am really curious if anyone has any indea how that can be done.  They are obviously trying to get transriptionists to leave in significant numbers.  There must be some motive we are not seeing.  This must be some attempt to get transcriptionists to leave in large quantities.  What other explanation could there possibly be?

Different platforms - ss

[ In Reply To ..]
I seem to remember them talking about "leveling the playing field" between platforms and of course we know they aren't going to give more to those on clunkier platforms, but of course take away from those with user friendly systems. They didn't have this figured into their famous grid??? So sorry for you all getting hit with this on top of the changes already taking place. Makes you wonder what and who is next to get zapped. Wal-Mart looking better and better to me. Prayers for us all.

Not a friendlier grid - HangingInThere

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately the platform our particular accounts use are not "friendly." We have to switch between 2 different platforms, we do not have the ability to re-listen to dictation because of the 2 different platforms so we have to take QA's word for it with audits, and we are 100% straight transcription. That does not constitute friendly or easy. I will get a 0.10 shift differential for working a Saturday or Sunday, but a 0.88 reduction in lines they will be paying me for. There is definitely something not right going on. Just a matter of what.

Agree-- something stinks - ss

[ In Reply To ..]
They were on a hiring frenzy before this plan was announced, now I know quite a few of us are running low on work. They are just waiting for us to leave so the new hires/new MTs who don't know what our salaries used to be like, will gladly accept this pittance they are offering. Such a skill set we have developed, only to be knocked down to this level. Sad.

Leveling - disgusted

[ In Reply To ..]
You either type or do voice recognition. I can't really see any difference in platforms. There are different hospitals, and some have a majority of ESLs in Bayscribe, so who are they trying to level the playing field with. It makes no sense. We all type the work, so what difference on which platform. We should be paid for what we do, no matter which platform it is on, all still the same crappy dictators.

I was wondering the same thing- - are these line deductions

[ In Reply To ..]
also deducted from your line counts making it harder to get required production. Added to the posts I have read about the pay plan I don't know how anyone could have this stress and continue to want to do a good job. Maybe they took lessons from the CIA and feel torture is going to get results. No human being should have the amount of responsibility required of a MT/MLS for the amount of compensation given.

just going to worry about lines - HangingInThere

[ In Reply To ..]
Well I wont be intentionally doing a crappy job, but my concern will be getting the lines I need to make the money I need to make to compensate for the difference in this only being paid for 88% of work transcribed.

If you focus only on lines then your QA score goes down which in turn - will lower your paycheck. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I just want to see all the US MTs who work for Nuance find a way out of that company. If they want to send it overseas, let them. I am so sick and tired of seeing people struggle with these MTSOs and this MT work I don't know what to do. The pay is hideous and the government has turned a blind eye and allows it to happen.

So much is required of us and we have to produce 99% error-free work and abide by all the ridiculous rules put in place by people who have never transcribed day in their life. I am just at loss for words. I didn't think it was possible for American workers to be treated this way. I am in dismay of our work requirements and pay.

The Indians work for 2 cpl and the Americans 1.5 cpl more..really? What is a penny and a half!!
MTs get cheated either way, no matter what - they do. What the point anymore?
[ In Reply To ..]
Being an MT just isn't worth getting up in the morning to do. Which is why I stopped doing it as of yesterday.

THey can pay whatever they want. It is when you do that 1st job at that - rate that you agree to that pay rate. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
There are no laws about what an employee has to pay in this situation. They could pay for 33% of lines typed and if MTs will work for that, it is not illegal.

The only law is that an employee has to pay minimum wage, which is where make up pay comes to play.

Oops, meant employER, not employEE. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

So then we should just go for quality, and - when quantity falls, force them - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
to give us that make-up pay. If you're fired or threatened for receiving FEDERAL MINIMUM WAGE, then I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

They can't have it both ways. Either they have to pay you minimum wage and not fire you for that, or else they've got to provide you with a means to make that min. wage production pay.

They've basically come up with qualifications for that production pay that are UNOBTAINABLE. And then trying to punish you for not obtaining it.

There's just no way that can be legal. They were obviously leaving some of this new pay-scale info. out when they looked into the so-called legality of what they're doing.

I had an employer once state I was getting insurance as part of my bi-weekly compensation. When that insurance never materialized, I requested the dollar amount I'd been paying into it back. When the owner fired me for wanting either the insurance or my money, I had her shut down. I honestly believe this company, and most others like it, are doing things that, if brought to light, would at the very least get them fined, if not shut down.

There is no way that I'm working - 88% of $ earned! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Am I going to be in the elite 35% -- probably not... - Serious MT

[ In Reply To ..]
And yet somehow they seem to think that 35% (forgetting about the pathetic other 65%) are actually going to make MORE money using this new pay scale?!! What have they been smoking?!? I really hope to hear from some folks once this new way of stealing money out of our paychecks begins in another week to see if anyone can actually claim to be making more than they were prior to this ridiculous new system.

I know everyone on here is complaining about the same thing and questioning the legality of it, but in all honesty (other than outright quitting), what can we do about it -- anything?!?!??

That 35% is getting robbed just like everybody else. - especially if - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
they're in the group that has to give Nuance 12% of their production. EVERYBODY is being taken advantage of, there is no elite. Maybe it will all pan out once QA/QC goes to production based pay along with the MTs; hopefully at that point, they will be more forgiving; however, Nuance may tighten the strings on them later on down the line if new plan backfires and people actually start making money and I really hope it does. I personally think this is their way of implementing pay-cuts on the sly.

88% for 100% work? - I'd have already - called a lawyer

[ In Reply To ..]
You are all smarter than this...why don't you DO something?

I did call a lawyer and they can do this. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Was told they can use any formula that they want for piece rate work, so long as (a) you can figure out how much you're going to be paid, and (b) you're paid at least the minimum wage.

Maybe that was a lawyer that normally represents - the employer side of things. (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
They'll tell you whatever these corporations want you to hear, since they're the ones paying the lawyers the big bucks. I would keep looking for a different lawyer. One that represents WORKERS, not employers.

Similar Messages:

Paycheck Less Even Though Transcribed More Lines Than Previous
Nov 10, 2009

It is beyond me how I made less on my pay check, but typed over 1500 more lines than last pay period.   ?  Anyone else notice that?  ...

Same Pay Rate For Edited & Transcribed Lines?
Jan 26, 2012

My employer has recently gone from straight transcription to VR (using MedQuist's DocQSpeech). At this point, after 4 months on VR, production is up 11% overall.  The employer says they believe it will go up 48% overall (60% for VR lines, no change of course for transcribed lines, 80% of lines VR). At this point, indeed, at least 80% of lines are VR.  (The quality of the VR output, however, is pretty bad.) We're union, and I'm one of the MTs participating in the wage ...

Legality Behind $12 An Hour Limit For PTO
Nov 30, 2012

Has anyone checked into the legality of more and more MTSOs wanting to limit the PTO pay to $12/hour maximum even if you average making more than that? It doesn't seem right to me that they're getting by with "robbing" those who are high producers on PTO pay. ...

Checked Legality Of Docking Pay During PM
Jun 01, 2015

Because we are hourly employees, the can legally punish us during PM as long as they pay us minimum wage. Drop me to a penny a line, and I'm out of here no matter whether or not I have any new job prospects! I haven't gotten past the first level of PM, but with the capricious way they grade and a mere 2 minor errors will flunk an audit, not matter how hard you try, you are always in imminent danger. Unless... you are amongst the lucky ones with proper ASR output. I think I ...

Legality? This 1 Cent Per Line QA Punishment
Aug 21, 2014

Has anyone reported MModal (or Nuance, I think Nuance does it too) to the Department of Labor for this QA crap?  I only make 0.04 and they're taking 0.03 !?  I don't think so.  I am so angry.  Responses appreciated.  Thanks. ...

Is This Transcribed Right?
Dec 21, 2009

She’s had a T&A of tubal ligation. ...

ROS Transcribed
May 07, 2010

When transcribing review of systems are they capitalized? Cardiovascular, GI, GU, etc or cardiovascular, GI, GU etc. ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

Is It True That FOCUS, Only Counts Half Of Your Lines When Calculating VR Lines?
Jan 30, 2012

if you make 4 cents per line at 1000 lines a day, they really calculate it at 500 lines per day x 4 cents, making it really 2 cents per line for the full 1000.   I heard this, and I am really interested in knowing if it is true. ...

Told Nuance Was Overcharging For Lines, Now Lines Drastically Reduced
May 02, 2012

My main account was a good one, and the lines were very good, mostly ER work. I have been on this account for over a year and a half now. We recently received an e-mail stating that Nuance had discovered that the line count was charging incorrectly, as instituted by them, and they had been crediting us with MORE lines than we were actually doing and overcharging the client. Now get this, they informed us that they would not make US pay it back, for their mistake, but that our new lines would re ...

Do I Have This Transcribed Correctly?
Feb 09, 2010

I transcribed D5.45 normal saline.  Is D5.45 correct, or how would you transcribe it? ...

Can Anyone Tell Me If I Have This Transcribed Correctly
Feb 10, 2010

I am not familiar with the terminology and I want to make sure I have this transcribed correctly.  This is what I have, "CT of the head shows an old posterotemporal, intraparietal, and right occipital cerebrovascular accident."   Is this correct? ...

Is This Correctly Transcribed
Apr 17, 2010

Cholesterol profile:  Total cholesterol 182, LDL 120, HDL 82, triglycerides 75. ...

It's Been 100 Years Since I Transcribed ...
Oct 06, 2010

ob/gyn.  What's the correct way to transcribe G3 P2 012 ? ...

Several Hundred Cc's...would That Be Transcribed
Dec 01, 2010

several hundred cubic centimeters? ...

Have Transcribed 30 Yrs, Been Away From It 4 Yrs, Almost Done With MT School To Get RMT, How Can I F
Dec 08, 2010

I was a transcriptionist for 30 years. I have been away from it the last 4 years, except I am a full time online MT student at an approved school through AHDI. I'm due to graduate in July and get my RMT, then I want to get my CMT. I can't find a job transcribing! Does anyone have any suggestions? Everyone seems to want someone with "recent" experience. I haven't forgotten much after transcribing 30 years and I need a job! Help, please! ...

TransTech Lines - Required Hours But Are Short Lines?
Jun 10, 2011

What do you do when you have the required hours but are short lines? I got an email that I need to "make plans to have my shortage made up." The only problem is that I'm up to date with my hours for the pay period so far. The other problem is that I have plans Saturday night and Sunday (both being my scheduled time off) that don't include TransTech. It's getting harder and harder to defend this company when they can't hold up their end of the agreement and continually ...

Missing Transcribed Reports
Nov 01, 2010

I'm missing any reports that were transcription.  I believe I have all my correction reports listed in statistics.  Has anyone else had this problem today?  My payscale is low enough, I don't need to be ripped off!! ...

QA'd A Report From An ILP-transcribed Hospital
Mar 31, 2011

A dictator fed up with a word being repeatedly typed incorrectly (and didn't even exist by the way) by the ILPs, after repeating what he wanted multiple times said:  I have now made this clear to the dumbest person under the sun.  Please type correctly.  Wow.  Guess what, stop letting ILPs type your reports, you may just get things right.  Too bad they are making us look bad.  ...

Transtech - Is It All VR Or Are There Some Transcribed Accounts?
May 10, 2011

This board has some TT posts, some good and some bad. My questions are: 1)  Is it all VR or are there some transcribed accounts? 2)  What do they pay; is it per line or per report (Radiology)? Thanks. ...

When Do You Proofread Your Transcribed Report?
Aug 05, 2011

Hi all, When do you proofread your transcribed report?  Do you wait until you are finished or do you proofread each section when finished?  And, do you ever get faster?  I'm afraid if I wait until I'm finished I will not remember things.  Also, do you re-listen to the dictation or not?  Thanks.  Many questions.    KB.  ...

I Forget. How Are Classes Transcribed? Sm
Jan 18, 2012

Class four heart disease. ...

Foreign-transcribed Records
Aug 17, 2014

A friend of mine who works in a medical office told me this afternoon that they've started getting records that are transcribed overseas. She said the records are done so badly that they can't use them, can't trust that the information in them is correct. When I told her my job may go away soon & be sent to India, she said "it can't!" She said these records are obviously done by people who don't speak English. What I don't understand is how work can still be off ...

Transcribed Work Search Question.
Mar 10, 2010

When searching for a dictator, I keep getting "No matches were found for the Client Facility details you entered." even when I tried putting in a dictator that dictates a lot.  Anyone else having that problem? ...

Pay By Transcribed Minute Vs Line Rate
Mar 24, 2010

Any comments on compensation by transcribed time (i.e.$1.25/minute) versus per line (i.e. $.09/65 character line with spaces)?  Any actual experience being paid by transcription minute?  Advantages/disadvantages?  Thanks. ...

Transcribed As Dictated On Verbatim Account
Jan 27, 2015

The dictator clearly dictated a word with an apostrophy following it.  The word actually has an accent mark following the last letter, but he specifically dictated an apostrophy.  I got it marked as an error. I don't get it -- it was a verbatim account -- I did what he said - and now it's error.  Frustrated!!!! ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average During The Day/week?
Jan 19, 2011

Just wondering if the TT MTs would like share ... how many lines do you average during the day/week?  I'm doing about 9,000 to 10,000 a week and wonder if I should be pushing myself more.  How much of your count is VR?  I do probably 15% traditional and 85% VR but that, of course, varies week to week.   ...

Custom Lines Versus Standard Lines
Jan 08, 2013

Which do you use - custom lines - 65 character lines with spaces or standard lines - seems like so much more for standard lines????   Cathy ...

Has Anyone Transcribed Oral Dental Surgery Reports And If So,
Oct 28, 2010

how difficult is this specialty to learn?  I consider ophthalmology very difficult.  Is it comparable to this?  Appreciate any and all comments. ...

Fee To Charge For Emailing Or Faxing Transcribed Documents
Mar 08, 2012

I have a new client that would like for me to transcribe their reports which I do all the time, so no problem.  They would like to send the reviewed/edited letter back to me to either attach and email or fax.  Any suggestions on a per letter price?  I would not have long distance charges for faxing.  Thank you! ...