A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

QA'd a report from an ILP-transcribed hospital - Insulting dictator

Posted: Mar 31, 2011

A dictator fed up with a word being repeatedly typed incorrectly (and didn't even exist by the way) by the ILPs, after repeating what he wanted multiple times said:  I have now made this clear to the dumbest person under the sun.  Please type correctly. 

Wow.  Guess what, stop letting ILPs type your reports, you may just get things right.  Too bad they are making us look bad. 

ILP - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
What is an ILP? I'm a newbie at all this:)

international labor partner - offshore typists

[ In Reply To ..]
yuck

ILP - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks!

I think it should be: - "International Labor PILFERER". NM

[ In Reply To ..]

MQ needs to get rid of subpar MTs - NJA Queen

[ In Reply To ..]
I would have saved the file number and sent the info to my CCM and on up the ladder (I wish you could have sent it to the client too) so they hear the doc's frustration. The docs usually have no say in who does their dictation, they probably have no clue it is being sent out of the country or given to newbies because it is cheaper.

I just don't understand why MQ is continuing to let MTs work who clearly need to find another job or get some more training. Some of the errors I have seen on report lookup are downright embarassing. Honestly, while the ILPs certainly need to be held to the same standard as US MTs as far as quality after sitting on multiple conference calls in my own region it makes me wonder where MQ hired some of the US MTs. One MT commented that MQ did not give her a cursor with her computer. It is obvious the hiring standards have been lessened and MQ just wants warm bodies in front of the computer. Then they wonder why the turnover rate is high and quality is low and why the docs and clients are screaming. I would be too.

Agreed - jmt

[ In Reply To ..]
NJA Queen, your post is dead on. I used to work for MQ and left there 2 years ago (went to another MTSO before leaving the field all together)and am now working for a major teaching hospital in Pittsburgh in a private office. Spheris has always done their office notes, H&Ps, etc. I can tell you the docs here, and there are 5 in my group, are disgusted beyond belief. One refuses to let them do his H&Ps and has one of us do them and another one refuses to let them do letters and when I see the reports, it's so obvious. Cities aren't spelled right and clearly weren't even searched for, meds are misspelled, vitals incorrect and having worked for MQ, you know these aren't the US transcriptionsts. It's a shame being on this end of it now. They want to get rid of Spheris/MQ, but there's no way I could do all the corporate work plus the PCP reports, but they are very unhappy. I feel fortunate I was able to raise my kids while the industry was strictly US and now that they're grown, driving, etc., I had no problem leaving the house to work M-F 7-3:30, get a steady paycheck, no weekends, no holidays, outstanding medical and 3 weeks vacation. It's horrendous what these MTSOs have turned into. I did this for 17 years at home and loved it, but I can honestly say I will never look back.

Thank you for your encouraging words. - Hope to change field soon.

[ In Reply To ..]
Been with this same stupid company from the beginning which was 24 years ago. Went back to school and hope to finish soon. Cannot wait for those benefits. This is not a job, but a sweat job with no benefits after 24 years.

I cannot wait to do what you are doing. Gee, 3 WEEKS OF VACATION???? I have not had a 1 week vacation in 15 years. MEDQUIST WILL NOT LET ME!!!!

I hope you sent that job number to the CCM & QATL and. - elle

[ In Reply To ..]
and transcribed what was said (in the note to the CCM, not the document of course). Also sending the second count of where he said that would be an excellent idea.

American or ILP, when I have noticed gross major errors in reports when I search DQM for reports on a patient or doctor, I send the information about that document and what needs correction to the CCM & QATL.

Patient care is important. At a previous job in house, I and co-workers also informed the supervisor when a doctor sounded drunk or high (a state one doctor was often in and punctured the colon during a colonoscopy).

good plan but MQ has to actually care - NJA Queen

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish it would be that easy, to forward the info to the CCM, but honestly quantity, quantity, quantity, that is the MQ motto. They pretend to care about quality with FTR and these so-called audits, but the push has always been quantity and get good TAT so the CCMs can get their bonus.

When I started with MQ I had fabulous QA people who actually reviewed my reports and I had to wait to be taken off QA until my quality was considered acceptable. The knowledge I got from those QA people was invaluable. Now with the monetary penalty of having a second QA listen it is no wonder the quality has gone down hill and no MTs are learning from their mistakes, because they aren't pointed out. A blanket statement email from the CCM telling us to watch for DEP errors in my mind does not compare with the feedback I used to get from the fabulous QA people. How else are you going to learn?

If MQ truly cared about quality they would have a mentoring program for newbies and MTs new to an account, they would not make us pay to have a second listen and they wouldn't make us work on 20+ accounts every day, all with different CP and idiosyncracies. They wouldn't be pulling accounts back from India so the US MTs can give the impression of quality work and then send it back to India until the client complained again. Hospitals are willing to pay for quality work instead of the crap they are receiving now, but in order to attract the experienced MTs necessary to do that MQ needs to offer more money and eliminate or train those MTs who just are not good enough, which will never happen. Quantity over quality every time.

CCM has a reason to care. If the account is lost, they - elle

[ In Reply To ..]
may suffer because they did not keep the client happy. If it is a substantially large account that is lost, there could no longer be a need for their position - as in lose their job.

I would report it anyways just for my own personal satisfaction - whether or not it goes further at that point doesn't matter to me. If it doesn't go any further at that point, it will bite someone in the butt eventually. - JMO
been on those calls for unhappy clients - NJA Queen
[ In Reply To ..]
Of course the CCM has reason to care when a big client is involved, but they should be concerned for all clients. They need to place the blame where it needs to, on the MTs who are making the errors, not just blanket scathing emails to everyone or long conference calls where everyone's job gets threatened.

I am just saying that MQ and CCMs talk a good game regarding quality, but it is all talk and no action.

Agree, some MTs are taken off way too early - MME

[ In Reply To ..]
I had a newly hired T3 MT that was on 100% review. She made many medical term errors, at least 4 in any report. It wasn't that she was a bad transcriptionist; she had great grammar and followed the CP, but she just didn't have an adequate medical vocabulary to be doing this at home, let alone being a T3. Anyways, she was taken off QA after 2 weeks! I still do 100% on her work and still find the same types of mistakes. One of the best ways to learn the vocab is to have someone find it and let you know. I'm not being mean, I just want to help her learn more medical terms, even if does mean I take a pay cut for it.
the sign of a truly good QA - NJA Queen
[ In Reply To ..]
MQ made a huge mistake when they took QA off hourly pay and decided to pay them on production. The best QA would take the time to help the MTs and being paid by the hour allowed them to help the MTs who truly needed or wanted the help. The QA were paid for their knowledge not for how fast they typed. Your comment about taking a pay cut to help a struggling new MT breaks my heart. You should not have to lose money and MQ should reward the experience and knowledge you bring to this job. It is just sad the path this company has taken; pushing for quantity, not recognizing experience and knowledge and looking the other way when subpar reports are pushing through.

I just glad to know there are still some wonderful QA left and MQ hasn't driven them all away.

Similar Messages:

When Do You Proofread Your Transcribed Report?
Aug 05, 2011

Hi all, When do you proofread your transcribed report?  Do you wait until you are finished or do you proofread each section when finished?  And, do you ever get faster?  I'm afraid if I wait until I'm finished I will not remember things.  Also, do you re-listen to the dictation or not?  Thanks.  Many questions.    KB.  ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Is This Transcribed Right?
Dec 21, 2009

She’s had a T&A of tubal ligation. ...

ROS Transcribed
May 07, 2010

When transcribing review of systems are they capitalized? Cardiovascular, GI, GU, etc or cardiovascular, GI, GU etc. ...

Do I Have This Transcribed Correctly?
Feb 09, 2010

I transcribed D5.45 normal saline.  Is D5.45 correct, or how would you transcribe it? ...

Can Anyone Tell Me If I Have This Transcribed Correctly
Feb 10, 2010

I am not familiar with the terminology and I want to make sure I have this transcribed correctly.  This is what I have, "CT of the head shows an old posterotemporal, intraparietal, and right occipital cerebrovascular accident."   Is this correct? ...

Is This Correctly Transcribed
Apr 17, 2010

Cholesterol profile:  Total cholesterol 182, LDL 120, HDL 82, triglycerides 75. ...

It's Been 100 Years Since I Transcribed ...
Oct 06, 2010

ob/gyn.  What's the correct way to transcribe G3 P2 012 ? ...

Several Hundred Cc's...would That Be Transcribed
Dec 01, 2010

several hundred cubic centimeters? ...

Have Transcribed 30 Yrs, Been Away From It 4 Yrs, Almost Done With MT School To Get RMT, How Can I F
Dec 08, 2010

I was a transcriptionist for 30 years. I have been away from it the last 4 years, except I am a full time online MT student at an approved school through AHDI. I'm due to graduate in July and get my RMT, then I want to get my CMT. I can't find a job transcribing! Does anyone have any suggestions? Everyone seems to want someone with "recent" experience. I haven't forgotten much after transcribing 30 years and I need a job! Help, please! ...

Missing Transcribed Reports
Nov 01, 2010

I'm missing any reports that were transcription.  I believe I have all my correction reports listed in statistics.  Has anyone else had this problem today?  My payscale is low enough, I don't need to be ripped off!! ...

Transtech - Is It All VR Or Are There Some Transcribed Accounts?
May 10, 2011

This board has some TT posts, some good and some bad. My questions are: 1)  Is it all VR or are there some transcribed accounts? 2)  What do they pay; is it per line or per report (Radiology)? Thanks. ...

I Forget. How Are Classes Transcribed? Sm
Jan 18, 2012

Class four heart disease. ...

Foreign-transcribed Records
Aug 17, 2014

A friend of mine who works in a medical office told me this afternoon that they've started getting records that are transcribed overseas. She said the records are done so badly that they can't use them, can't trust that the information in them is correct. When I told her my job may go away soon & be sent to India, she said "it can't!" She said these records are obviously done by people who don't speak English. What I don't understand is how work can still be off ...

Paycheck Less Even Though Transcribed More Lines Than Previous
Nov 10, 2009

It is beyond me how I made less on my pay check, but typed over 1500 more lines than last pay period.   ?  Anyone else notice that?  ...

Transcribed Work Search Question.
Mar 10, 2010

When searching for a dictator, I keep getting "No matches were found for the Client Facility details you entered." even when I tried putting in a dictator that dictates a lot.  Anyone else having that problem? ...

Pay By Transcribed Minute Vs Line Rate
Mar 24, 2010

Any comments on compensation by transcribed time (i.e.$1.25/minute) versus per line (i.e. $.09/65 character line with spaces)?  Any actual experience being paid by transcription minute?  Advantages/disadvantages?  Thanks. ...

Same Pay Rate For Edited & Transcribed Lines?
Jan 26, 2012

My employer has recently gone from straight transcription to VR (using MedQuist's DocQSpeech). At this point, after 4 months on VR, production is up 11% overall.  The employer says they believe it will go up 48% overall (60% for VR lines, no change of course for transcribed lines, 80% of lines VR). At this point, indeed, at least 80% of lines are VR.  (The quality of the VR output, however, is pretty bad.) We're union, and I'm one of the MTs participating in the wage ...

Transcribed As Dictated On Verbatim Account
Jan 27, 2015

The dictator clearly dictated a word with an apostrophy following it.  The word actually has an accent mark following the last letter, but he specifically dictated an apostrophy.  I got it marked as an error. I don't get it -- it was a verbatim account -- I did what he said - and now it's error.  Frustrated!!!! ...

Has Anyone Transcribed Oral Dental Surgery Reports And If So,
Oct 28, 2010

how difficult is this specialty to learn?  I consider ophthalmology very difficult.  Is it comparable to this?  Appreciate any and all comments. ...

Fee To Charge For Emailing Or Faxing Transcribed Documents
Mar 08, 2012

I have a new client that would like for me to transcribe their reports which I do all the time, so no problem.  They would like to send the reviewed/edited letter back to me to either attach and email or fax.  Any suggestions on a per letter price?  I would not have long distance charges for faxing.  Thank you! ...

Can Someone Please Explain The Legality In Only Paying For 88% Of Transcribed Lines?
Dec 14, 2014

How is Nuance able to legally justify paying only 88% of typed lines?  I am really curious if anyone has any indea how that can be done.  They are obviously trying to get transriptionists to leave in significant numbers.  There must be some motive we are not seeing.  This must be some attempt to get transcriptionists to leave in large quantities.  What other explanation could there possibly be? ...

How Is One To Make Line Count When You Get Report After Report Sm
Mar 05, 2014

that is less than 30 lines; dictator who repeats every sentence with 1 subtle change; DEAD AIR, etc.  It is stressful enough that I'm losing money today but to be stressed out about line count and being perfect...I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!! ...

Hospital Course
Dec 30, 2010

This is part of a hospital course.  Not sure what the heading in bold should be so I gave the whole grouping for context. RESPIRATORY:  No issues.  CARDIAC:  No issues.  IV:  No issues.  HEMATOLOGY/ONCOLOGY:  No issues.  METABOLIC/GASTROINTESTINAL:  Ultrasound on admission was the only ultrasound obtained.  SEN:  Patient was on D5 half-normal saline plus 20 mEq of KCl at 78 mL/hr throughout hospital admission.  On hospit ...

Hospital Job?
May 14, 2011

Just curious if anyone has a remote (long-distance) position with a hospital.  If so, did you have to work inhouse initially before being able to go home or not? My last employer (the current one MTSO I work for stinks so bad I don't even consider them an employer!) was a hospital that was part of a chain.  Of 50 MTs, there was one in Canada, one in Mexico, and one in China.  However, I'm fairy certain that they were Americans who lived locally and then subsequently mov ...

Seriously Hospital
Oct 06, 2014

Why can they not get this hospital to fix this? The only place I notice it is the OR dictations, so that narrows it down doesn't it? And today, is the worst I have heard it in a while.. ...

Cap THE In The Children's Hospital?
Nov 10, 2009

Consequently, we will educate ourselves on this particular disease as well as obtain medical records from the Children's Hospital. ...

Hospital Pay--is This A JOKE?
Dec 30, 2009

Okay, so halfway out of curiosity, I applied to my local hospital, which is a large regional hospital, for an MT job.  They wanted a "seasoned" MT with CMT, who transcribes 250 lines an hour.  Okay, I thought, they might actually compensate better than I think since they have well-defined high standards.  WRONG!  They are offering $11.35 AN HOUR!  What a slap in the face!  You get a whole extra dollar if you work 2nd shift.  What an insult--they just have ...

What Does A Hospital Registrar Do?
Mar 25, 2010

My local hospital is advertising for this position but doesn't say what the duties are.  Just says you need medical terminology experience. ...