A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Same pay rate for edited & transcribed lines? - Bilboa

Posted: Jan 26, 2012

My employer has recently gone from straight transcription to VR (using MedQuist's DocQSpeech).

At this point, after 4 months on VR, production is up 11% overall.  The employer says they believe it will go up 48% overall (60% for VR lines, no change of course for transcribed lines, 80% of lines VR).

At this point, indeed, at least 80% of lines are VR.  (The quality of the VR output, however, is pretty bad.)

We're union, and I'm one of the MTs participating in the wage negotiations.

The employer is proposing to pay us the same line rate for edited and transcribed lines -- a lower rate, of course, than we used to get for edited lines.

Maybe I'm just suspicious-minded, but I have a "What are they up to that I'm not realizing?" feeling.

Anyone got an idea?

Thanks!

I wouldn't go less than 7 cpl, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I made 9 cents a line for years and had my pay cut to 8 for transcription. Some of these companies are cutting VR pay by half or less. If you meet in the middle - 9 to 7 for straight and if SR was paid at 4.5 cents to 7, then that would be in the middle. There are also companies out there hiring at 5 to 7 cpl right now for straight transcription. I don't know who is taking these jobs, but someone obviously is. I think the happy medium would be 7 cents per line because you're going to spend a lot of time on VR and those straight transcription jobs may be far and few between. JMO though. I think most people would be happy with VR if the pay rate was in line with what they have to do in each document. I have yet to get a file that didn't need a lot of editing before going out, so being paid 4.5 cents a line on a job I had to spend 15-20 minutes on is ridiculous. You also have to factor in all the formatting changes you have to do in a document because VR doesn't do that. Some of my files have the heading in all caps and some don't, so I spend a lot of time just making sure it is formatted right also. Good luck. Hope they come up with a line rate that is actually what VR is worth and not the one they think it should be because they think we're going to fly in and out of these reports with no problems.

Re: I wouldn't go less than 7 cpl, - sm - VTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Eventually, soon, they are not going to need MTs at all. I think it's time you all start thinking about jumping ship and find a job that actually pays the bills. I did. Every year is something more they take away and more they pile on...I'm so done with this field of work.

I agree to a certain extent, but as long as I am making over - minimum wage, sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not ready to jump ship yet. I am making in the 40s right now, which is a cut in my pay from the previous 2 years, but I can still pay my bills. If and when this job becomes obsolete and/or the pay is so bad I cannot make any money, then I will think about jumping ship. My life boat is in the water and still afloat. If it starts sinking, I will bail out. Thanks though.

Similar Messages:

Standards For Edited Lines
Sep 15, 2011

I manage a  transcription department and we went live with Escription a few months ago.  I am working on setting standards for edited lines as well as putting together an incentive program.  Would anyone be willing to share their policy for transcribed/edited lines and what they are currently paying for incentive. Thank you! Renee ...

TO SHDAs. U Dont Get Line Ct Credit For All Lines Edited. U Only
Oct 07, 2014

x ...

Paycheck Less Even Though Transcribed More Lines Than Previous
Nov 10, 2009

It is beyond me how I made less on my pay check, but typed over 1500 more lines than last pay period.   ?  Anyone else notice that?  ...

Pay By Transcribed Minute Vs Line Rate
Mar 24, 2010

Any comments on compensation by transcribed time (i.e.$1.25/minute) versus per line (i.e. $.09/65 character line with spaces)?  Any actual experience being paid by transcription minute?  Advantages/disadvantages?  Thanks. ...

Can Someone Please Explain The Legality In Only Paying For 88% Of Transcribed Lines?
Dec 14, 2014

How is Nuance able to legally justify paying only 88% of typed lines?  I am really curious if anyone has any indea how that can be done.  They are obviously trying to get transriptionists to leave in significant numbers.  There must be some motive we are not seeing.  This must be some attempt to get transcriptionists to leave in large quantities.  What other explanation could there possibly be? ...

Pre-edited Test But Really Messed Up
Feb 04, 2010

Hello All, Hoping someone can help me figure out what happened with this job.  I received a STAT job from my main account, it had clearly been done by someone else, but it was so screwed up, it took me almost 25 minutes to redo 352 secs of dictation.  The sound was no longer in sync with dictation, punctuation was confusing, headings were wrong and not in place with dictation.  I have whole paragraphs in the transcription that I do not hear anywhere in the dictation.  Anyon ...

Powerscribe 40-50 Reports Edited Per Hour....
Sep 26, 2010

How many reports per hour can you edit with Powerscribe?  I was told that you could do 40-50 per hour....Is that possible?? ...

Doctors Making Us Type In An Edited Document
Jan 08, 2013

They just dont know a thing about how we are getting paid or dont care. Will you please go back and type this full medication list for me after the physical exam, thanks. Not when I am being paid 4 cents to type it! Rant over. ...

Is This Transcribed Right?
Dec 21, 2009

She’s had a T&A of tubal ligation. ...

ROS Transcribed
May 07, 2010

When transcribing review of systems are they capitalized? Cardiovascular, GI, GU, etc or cardiovascular, GI, GU etc. ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

Is It True That FOCUS, Only Counts Half Of Your Lines When Calculating VR Lines?
Jan 30, 2012

if you make 4 cents per line at 1000 lines a day, they really calculate it at 500 lines per day x 4 cents, making it really 2 cents per line for the full 1000.   I heard this, and I am really interested in knowing if it is true. ...

Told Nuance Was Overcharging For Lines, Now Lines Drastically Reduced
May 02, 2012

My main account was a good one, and the lines were very good, mostly ER work. I have been on this account for over a year and a half now. We recently received an e-mail stating that Nuance had discovered that the line count was charging incorrectly, as instituted by them, and they had been crediting us with MORE lines than we were actually doing and overcharging the client. Now get this, they informed us that they would not make US pay it back, for their mistake, but that our new lines would re ...

Do I Have This Transcribed Correctly?
Feb 09, 2010

I transcribed D5.45 normal saline.  Is D5.45 correct, or how would you transcribe it? ...

Can Anyone Tell Me If I Have This Transcribed Correctly
Feb 10, 2010

I am not familiar with the terminology and I want to make sure I have this transcribed correctly.  This is what I have, "CT of the head shows an old posterotemporal, intraparietal, and right occipital cerebrovascular accident."   Is this correct? ...

Is This Correctly Transcribed
Apr 17, 2010

Cholesterol profile:  Total cholesterol 182, LDL 120, HDL 82, triglycerides 75. ...

It's Been 100 Years Since I Transcribed ...
Oct 06, 2010

ob/gyn.  What's the correct way to transcribe G3 P2 012 ? ...

Several Hundred Cc's...would That Be Transcribed
Dec 01, 2010

several hundred cubic centimeters? ...

Have Transcribed 30 Yrs, Been Away From It 4 Yrs, Almost Done With MT School To Get RMT, How Can I F
Dec 08, 2010

I was a transcriptionist for 30 years. I have been away from it the last 4 years, except I am a full time online MT student at an approved school through AHDI. I'm due to graduate in July and get my RMT, then I want to get my CMT. I can't find a job transcribing! Does anyone have any suggestions? Everyone seems to want someone with "recent" experience. I haven't forgotten much after transcribing 30 years and I need a job! Help, please! ...

TransTech Lines - Required Hours But Are Short Lines?
Jun 10, 2011

What do you do when you have the required hours but are short lines? I got an email that I need to "make plans to have my shortage made up." The only problem is that I'm up to date with my hours for the pay period so far. The other problem is that I have plans Saturday night and Sunday (both being my scheduled time off) that don't include TransTech. It's getting harder and harder to defend this company when they can't hold up their end of the agreement and continually ...

Missing Transcribed Reports
Nov 01, 2010

I'm missing any reports that were transcription.  I believe I have all my correction reports listed in statistics.  Has anyone else had this problem today?  My payscale is low enough, I don't need to be ripped off!! ...

QA'd A Report From An ILP-transcribed Hospital
Mar 31, 2011

A dictator fed up with a word being repeatedly typed incorrectly (and didn't even exist by the way) by the ILPs, after repeating what he wanted multiple times said:  I have now made this clear to the dumbest person under the sun.  Please type correctly.  Wow.  Guess what, stop letting ILPs type your reports, you may just get things right.  Too bad they are making us look bad.  ...

Transtech - Is It All VR Or Are There Some Transcribed Accounts?
May 10, 2011

This board has some TT posts, some good and some bad. My questions are: 1)  Is it all VR or are there some transcribed accounts? 2)  What do they pay; is it per line or per report (Radiology)? Thanks. ...

When Do You Proofread Your Transcribed Report?
Aug 05, 2011

Hi all, When do you proofread your transcribed report?  Do you wait until you are finished or do you proofread each section when finished?  And, do you ever get faster?  I'm afraid if I wait until I'm finished I will not remember things.  Also, do you re-listen to the dictation or not?  Thanks.  Many questions.    KB.  ...

I Forget. How Are Classes Transcribed? Sm
Jan 18, 2012

Class four heart disease. ...

Foreign-transcribed Records
Aug 17, 2014

A friend of mine who works in a medical office told me this afternoon that they've started getting records that are transcribed overseas. She said the records are done so badly that they can't use them, can't trust that the information in them is correct. When I told her my job may go away soon & be sent to India, she said "it can't!" She said these records are obviously done by people who don't speak English. What I don't understand is how work can still be off ...

Transcribed Work Search Question.
Mar 10, 2010

When searching for a dictator, I keep getting "No matches were found for the Client Facility details you entered." even when I tried putting in a dictator that dictates a lot.  Anyone else having that problem? ...

Transcribed As Dictated On Verbatim Account
Jan 27, 2015

The dictator clearly dictated a word with an apostrophy following it.  The word actually has an accent mark following the last letter, but he specifically dictated an apostrophy.  I got it marked as an error. I don't get it -- it was a verbatim account -- I did what he said - and now it's error.  Frustrated!!!! ...

What Is The Average Benefit Rate/PTO Rate? Friends I Talk To
Dec 05, 2012

Their way of figuring it is so convoluted.  I wonder if they keep us all low like that.  ...

Line Rate Pay Versus Audio Minute Rate Pay
Mar 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me if line rate pay is comparable to getting paid by the audio minute? Is 0.50 or 1.00 normal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...