A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Good Training School - Tammy

Posted: Jun 09, 2010

I need some advice on good schools to use for transcription training.  I have been talking to Kaplan University about their program.  Does anyone know anything about them they can advise?  Has anyone else used them?  I am afraid since they aren't a local college in the state of Texas, where I live, I will have a hard time finding work after graduation.  Any thoughts?  All help would be appreciated!

Tammy - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
Whether they are located in Texas or not is irrelevant. What is most important in choosing any school is whether they use the SUM program or not. Most employers favor a SUM-based program. I personally think the best grads come from Andrews or M-TEC. You might speak with representatives of each and see which one seems to meet your needs. I have never been impressed with Kaplan.

Thanks - Tammy

[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate your help will look for the SUM-based programs then. So just goggle Andrews or M-TEC and should be able to get some info?

Tammy - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
You want to do more than just Google, although it is a good first step. You need to do some serious research. Contact reps of both schools and make an appointment for a phone interview. Have a list of questions you have made in advance. Discuss your concerns with a rep. The person to contact at Andrews is Linda Andrews, I believe. (I do not know her personally, but know her by reputation, which is stellar.) Even if you love, love, love the school (any school) think it over for a week or so before enrolling. You also might ask some of the folks on this board who go to those particular schools if they would mind if you e-mail them. Gather all the information you can in all the ways that you can. This is a monomentous decision. Good luck to you. P.S. Avoid the matchbooks like the plague that they are! :)

Andrews is the best - there is

[ In Reply To ..]
M-TEC used to be a close second, but they have changed, changed again, and changed once more. I don't think they can keep track of whether they are coming or going anymore.

Andrews offers a very comprehensive program, and grads are snapped up quickly. You can't go wrong with Andrews.

Re: Andrews is the best there is - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
I would have to agree with you. I have never seen MTs who can perform up to the standard of Andrews grads. And no, I do not have, nor have I ever had, any connection with Andrews. I just have been in the biz for a long, long time and seen and supervised a lot of MTs. I thinks Andrews is to medical transcription what Harvard is to academia.

Andrews for Coding? - wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
Hey Old MTSO! Since Andrews has such a great rep as an MT school, in your opinion, would you think that their coding program would probably be just as excellent? Or would it be a mistake to assume that? If you or someone in your family were considering enrolling in a coding program, would you choose Andrews?
Andrews for coding - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Andrews seems to be the favorite among everyone on MT Stars for obtaining a coding education. The information has mostly come from students and faculty who post in the coding/billing forum, I don't know how successful the graduates have been. I'm currently enrolled in another coding program that is not as well liked but it is working for me.
Wondering - Old MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
I must admit upfront that I do not code, nor do I know anything about the Andrews program in coding. That said, I would still choose it for my son or daughter if they wanted a coding career. I say this because virtually everything that I see come out of Andrews is excellent. There is an old saying that HOW YOU DO ANYTHING IS HOW YOU DO EVERYTHING. From that, I would think that their coding program is as excellent as their MT program. Perhaps there are some Andrews coding program grad coders or coding students on here who can speak with more knowledge than I. If I were seriously thinking of a career in coding, I would call Andrews, make an appointment for a phone interview, and have an in-depth interview with whoever on their staff is in charge of the coding program. I would take time in advance to prepare a list of questions that concerned me. IMHO, the thing that sells Andrews (other than its obviously top-notch grads) is that it seems always operate from a position of integrity. That is, as the ad for MasterCard used to say, PRICELESS. Good luck to you!

Similar Messages:

Career Step - Is A Good School To Attend For MT Training
Jan 15, 2011

I would like to know if anyone thinks Career Step is a good school to attend for MT training. Andrews and MTEC are quite a bit more expensive and I don't think I can afford them. I can't really afford Career Step. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. ...

Moderator...question About The Job Wanted Board...can We List Our Training/school?
May 05, 2010

As a new graduate, it would great for those seeking employment if we could list our training/school. Just a thought as I've been reading through lots of forums of job ads that say no newbies unless you were a student of a few select schools. Thoughts?? ...

Good School
Oct 08, 2011

Hello - I am researching schools for MT education/training. I have seen Andrews mentioned here as a very good one. Does anyone have any knowledge of Career Steps or Future MT? I want a great education and don't want to inadvertently get on the "kiss (of death) list"! Any other contenders? Thanks so much for your input!     ...

Looking For A Good Online MT School
Sep 03, 2011

I've been searching for an online MT school that has a good rep among Mt's and MT employers for been a good school with a good training.  So far I have on the list CareerStep, M-Tec, and Andrews. Please, any opinions and advice about these schools (or any other I don't know about), negative and positive, would be soooo welcome since I'm having a hard time choosing a school.  I would not like to waste my money on a school with a poor training and not known ...

Is CareerStep A Good School???
Feb 27, 2014

Is this school okay or a scame ...

Good MT School? Need Advice
Jan 06, 2015

Hi everyone. I was recommended by a friend to visit this site. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on a good MT school/Program? Ive looked into CareerStep and they are a little pricy for my budget right now. I would love for the school to offer job assistance after graduation (if possible). Can anyone help me? Thank You!!!! ...

FutureMT-Good School?!
Jan 29, 2015

Hello! I am looking to start my career in MT, but not sure of what school to use. I have been told about FutureMT by a girl that used to do MT, however the school is not accredited. I didn't know if this actually matters or not. It's about half the price of career step and other schools I've seen. Any feed back would be soooo appreciated!  ...

Is Penn Foster MT School Any Good?
Dec 31, 2009

I started transcription a bazillion years ago before they were even any schools around.  My daughter now wants to get into it and is looking at Penn Foster.  Is their program any good or is there a better one out there that would help make it easier to find a job when she gets out? Thank you in advance :) ...

Medical Transcription - Good School ?
Sep 12, 2010

Hi. i    want to know if anyone    know  of a good school for medical  transcription   i've been looking online but  don't knoe what  school to choose. I want a school that have internships.  Thanks! ...

Good Medical Coding School
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, does anyone out there know of good medical coding schools, either in school or online, perferrably online.  Heard of The Andrews School?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Minny ...

Career Step Or Andrews Is A Good School?
Jan 27, 2010

Anyone know if Career Step or Andrews is a good school? I'm trying to decide on which one to go to. ...

Searching For Good Online MT School For Canadian
Jan 01, 2011

I'm searching everywhere on web for info on the best recommended schools for Medical Transcription.  Canscribe is said to be 'one of the best', however it's soooo expensive.  Does anyone know a few other good schools recommended by AHDI ?     ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Workstation With A Good Pullout Keyboard Tray
Dec 04, 2014

that is wide enough for a wrist rest.  This needs to be in my bedroom so cant be too huge.  I like the tower off the floor also.  Thanks.  ...

2014 - Not A Good Year For This MT â But I Found A Good Fit (finally)
Jan 12, 2015

Rarely do I start discussion on mtstars - however, 2014 was a particularly challenging year for myself - an experienced MT/Editor (15+ years). However, I realize that many other MTs may be in the same position, i.e., having many years devoted to working at the Big MTSOs including âthe M,â and âthe Nâ and (now to be included) âthe Tâ following close behind in total numbers of MT/Editors on staff. (Hint: Sure most of you know the M, the N and the T - and the names have been int ...

All Type QA - Good Money?? Good Company???
May 24, 2011

I have expierence with QA, although have never been paid production for it. I do enjoy QA more. Does anyone have expierence at All Type in QA? Are they reliable?? Do they pay well? I currently make about 32000/year and need more. Would this be doable? TIA!! ...

IMEDX Takeover...I Don't Have A Good Feeling About This. Does Anyone Have A Good Sm
Jul 07, 2012

experience with this company.  Sounds like they suck up our accounts and then pay us less than pennies to clean up the trash.  ...

Good Friday; Good Bye Spheris
Apr 02, 2010

Well Good Friday to me.  I left Spheris.  It is indeed the best Friday for me in a very long time.  I've had it with their lousy platform, Mafia QA (they try their best to kill your spirit), mandatory this, mandatory that, do this, don't do that, change this, don't change that; no, don't change this, don't change that, and on and on and on, and now their bankruptcy.  No PTO for the next 4 months to keep the clients satisfied during ...

Considering Training To Be A MT
Oct 10, 2009

I am considering an online school to learn Medical Transcription.  What does the future look like for upcoming MT's?  With all the medical changes coming, would this be a career to consider?  Thanks for any help! Debbie ...

Training To Be An MT
Nov 15, 2009

I am a mom of 3 boys with a lot of secretarial experience. I have taken several college courses recently including Anatomy&Physiology, Medical Terminology, Medical Transcription and Advanced but cannot find a job. Everyone looks for experience. I am in the process of applying to Everett Community College for their certificate. I would love opinions from current MTs regarding your opinion on beginning this career. Is it still a good option? I hear so many differing opinions on the future. Do ...

Does MQ Pay For Training?
Nov 17, 2009

How long does training takes?  How long do they give you to get up to speed, meaning getting your required lines in.  Do they pay a shift differential? ...

Training Pay?
Jan 25, 2010

Anyone know how long you are supposed to get training pay? Came back to company for some extra $$ and thought I was told this is a 90 day thing, but 2nd paycheck was on production pay though I am still 100% QA? Anyone have any suggestions on this?  I am so confused now. ...

Training-----------Best?
Aug 04, 2010

hello... I'm looking for opinions and advice from MTs as to where I should get my MT training.  Where do most MT companies like their MTs to have their MT training?  Thank you   ...

Still In Training
Jan 29, 2011

I am still in training, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the software and or equipment I could go ahead and purchase to help me get through my training more smoothly.  My dictation at this time is on a CD disk and wondered if a foot petal would help me at this point.  Thanks,   bettyboop ...

Training Someone To Be An MT
Mar 21, 2011

Has anyone tried to train someone else to be an MT on their own, without the courses?  I am a CMT and have 18 years experience - I have a couple family members that would like to learn to become an MT but cannot afford the course.  I am considering trying to train them myself - any suggestions? ...

TT Training
Jun 12, 2011

What is the latest on the training for no pay?  Is is still going to happen?  Did it happen or did TT decided to do the right thing and pay for MTs time?  ...