A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Good School - Gr8Scot5

Posted: Oct 08, 2011

Hello - I am researching schools for MT education/training. I have seen Andrews mentioned here as a very good one. Does anyone have any knowledge of Career Steps or Future MT? I want a great education and don't want to inadvertently get on the "kiss (of death) list"! Any other contenders?

Thanks so much for your input!

Nope, no other contenders. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Read the postings here and you won't see any from Andrews grads who can't get a job. They almost have jobs waiting for them when they graduate. Their CHOICE of jobs, too, it seems.

If you're looking for a great MT education with a near-guarantee of a job, I think you'd get it with Andrews. Given all the others, it's probably the one with the best overall reputation, both before and after graduation. Excellent materials, excellent instructors with personalized attention, and no horrible online screen teaching. It's really a bargain and quite worth every penny of the cost.

This is so true...sm - andrewsgrad

[ In Reply To ..]
Truer words were never spoken. I graduated Andrews in 2006. I my choice of 3 jobs within 1 week of graduation. Then, I decided to stop transcribing for a while due to other circumstances. I started back in Nov. 2010, after not transcribing for 4 years. One of the places I tested for said I did better on their test than people who had 15 years experience. I was hired by a great company within 1 month of starting my search then. Andrews has no equal.

sorry, I "had" my choice of jobs!! Long day! nm - andrewsgrad

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Good schools - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
The ONLY two I would recommend (in this order) are:
1. Andrews.
2. M-TEC.

Those are, IMHO, the only ones I would trust. Do not, not, NOT get sucked into an inferior school. Here is an old post that I made months ago, but it has evidently helped some MT wannabes. How I wish for the people who discover that their schools are inferior that they had checked the schools out before enrolling in schools/"institutes" that are little more than the infamous matchbooks. Of course, many of these schools are on the "S list" (and I do not mean sugar here) of MTSOs all around the country. We have learned which schools produce job-ready grads (Andrews and M-TEC) and other schools that just take their money, teach them 3% of what they need to know, and waltz away. Then the MTSO gets stuck trying to train an ill-trained person because you cannot know what you do not know and these folks are nowhere ready to hit the ground running and WORK. I have NEVER seen an Andrews grad who could not produce from day one. Anyway, here is info, hope it helps. Good luck to you:

Several people have asked me if I think MT is still a viable career. Coincidentally, today as I was cleaning out some files, I found notes from a seminar I gave and thought I would summarize a few of the thoughts, hoping they might be of value to someone out there. (Moderator, if you don't feel this is appropriate, please just delete the post.) First, there are three "myths" to consider: 1. The myth that medical transcription is easy money. Many of the not so reliable schools push this idea and use it to exploit people. It makes me really disheartened that many people who do not have much money to begin with get taken in by this. Shame on the schools who do this! 2. The second myth is that it does not matter where you go to school; you can get a good medical transcription education anywhere. Again, another myth. The old saying that "you get what you pay for" really applies. When I am counseling people face to face, I always advise that the two things they MUST have from any program are the SUM program and real, live instructors. 3. The third myth is that you can always learn "the old fashioned way--on the job." That was true up until perhaps the end of the 70s; it is surely not true now. The marketplace and its structure (and pace) have changed too radically. When interviewing schools, ask questions: 1. Where are your graduates working? Can you give me the names of 2-3 grads who would be willing to share their experience with me? 2. How long has the school been in business? Is it a private entity? A sole proprietorship? Who are the principals? How are your instructors chosen? 3. Do your financial homework. Call the BBB and the Department of Business Regulation for the locality in which the school is registered. Have there been complaints? Have the complaints been satisfactorily resolved? 4. What form of financial aid do you offer? 5. How accessible are your instructors and by what means? E-mail only? Are telephone calls permitted/encouraged? 6. Does your school use authentic physician dictation such as in The SUM program? Or does it merely use scripts read by actors? 7. What type of follow-up does your school offer? Can I "retake" any portions of the course with which I have difficulty? How many tries do I have to pass the final? 8. What kind of placement program do you have? What percentage of your grads get placed? (There should not be a fee for placement.) 9. Utilize the wisdom of the "old salts"--ancient MTs like yours truly who have been in this business for decades. Most older MTs are happy to help newbies. Many people helped me when I was starting out, and in gratitude, I try to help people just starting. Those are just some thoughts that I culled from the seminar I did. I hope something in here helps someone. Have a great week!

-------------

You were very smart to ask questions and check schools out BEFORE shelling out your hard-earned dough. Good luck to you!

What seminar - Jeni

[ In Reply To ..]

Jeni - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not attend their seminars, nor will I. I would have no reason to do so. Unfortunately, I do not think you will be able to get hired on the strength of AHP (and many MTSOs do not like it because its students are so ill-prepared). The competition is too fierce, and as a business person I would think, why should I hire from a school of this caliber? I recommend either Andrews or M-TEC. AHP quite simply does not prepare its students to perform in today's market. Many, many AHP grads have come to me for advice, and I have advised them to get a more extensive MT education. Just my own two cents' worth. I have encountered other MTSOs who feel the same way, based, sadly, upon sorry experiences in the past. But do go out there and try. Mine is only one opinion. You may be able to make it and if you do, I hope you will come on here and post. Good luck, whatever you choose to do.

All you need to do is read all the posts - Maggie May

[ In Reply To ..]
on here from people who took the AHP course, US Career "Institute" (and a few others) who can't get hired, have difficulty even getting someone to let them take their employment test, and then can't pass the test because they haven't learned all the things you need to know.
Maggie May - Former Dpt. Head
[ In Reply To ..]
I just tell people who want to know about AHP to Google "AHP complaints" or "AHP scams" or "AHP Federal Trade Commission complaints." They have a stunning number of Federal complaints filed against them. Still, I always wonder why people don't research these so-called "schools" BEFORE they lose their time and money?

Good School - Gr8Scot5

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks to all who answered - it helps! Sounds like the old adage really comes into play here: You get what you pay for!

Similar Messages:

Good Training School
Jun 09, 2010

I need some advice on good schools to use for transcription training.  I have been talking to Kaplan University about their program.  Does anyone know anything about them they can advise?  Has anyone else used them?  I am afraid since they aren't a local college in the state of Texas, where I live, I will have a hard time finding work after graduation.  Any thoughts?  All help would be appreciated! ...

Looking For A Good Online MT School
Sep 03, 2011

I've been searching for an online MT school that has a good rep among Mt's and MT employers for been a good school with a good training.  So far I have on the list CareerStep, M-Tec, and Andrews. Please, any opinions and advice about these schools (or any other I don't know about), negative and positive, would be soooo welcome since I'm having a hard time choosing a school.  I would not like to waste my money on a school with a poor training and not known ...

Is CareerStep A Good School???
Feb 27, 2014

Is this school okay or a scame ...

Good MT School? Need Advice
Jan 06, 2015

Hi everyone. I was recommended by a friend to visit this site. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on a good MT school/Program? Ive looked into CareerStep and they are a little pricy for my budget right now. I would love for the school to offer job assistance after graduation (if possible). Can anyone help me? Thank You!!!! ...

FutureMT-Good School?!
Jan 29, 2015

Hello! I am looking to start my career in MT, but not sure of what school to use. I have been told about FutureMT by a girl that used to do MT, however the school is not accredited. I didn't know if this actually matters or not. It's about half the price of career step and other schools I've seen. Any feed back would be soooo appreciated!  ...

Is Penn Foster MT School Any Good?
Dec 31, 2009

I started transcription a bazillion years ago before they were even any schools around.  My daughter now wants to get into it and is looking at Penn Foster.  Is their program any good or is there a better one out there that would help make it easier to find a job when she gets out? Thank you in advance :) ...

Medical Transcription - Good School ?
Sep 12, 2010

Hi. i    want to know if anyone    know  of a good school for medical  transcription   i've been looking online but  don't knoe what  school to choose. I want a school that have internships.  Thanks! ...

Good Medical Coding School
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, does anyone out there know of good medical coding schools, either in school or online, perferrably online.  Heard of The Andrews School?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Minny ...

Career Step Or Andrews Is A Good School?
Jan 27, 2010

Anyone know if Career Step or Andrews is a good school? I'm trying to decide on which one to go to. ...

Searching For Good Online MT School For Canadian
Jan 01, 2011

I'm searching everywhere on web for info on the best recommended schools for Medical Transcription.  Canscribe is said to be 'one of the best', however it's soooo expensive.  Does anyone know a few other good schools recommended by AHDI ?     ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

Career Step - Is A Good School To Attend For MT Training
Jan 15, 2011

I would like to know if anyone thinks Career Step is a good school to attend for MT training. Andrews and MTEC are quite a bit more expensive and I don't think I can afford them. I can't really afford Career Step. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Workstation With A Good Pullout Keyboard Tray
Dec 04, 2014

that is wide enough for a wrist rest.  This needs to be in my bedroom so cant be too huge.  I like the tower off the floor also.  Thanks.  ...

2014 - Not A Good Year For This MT â But I Found A Good Fit (finally)
Jan 12, 2015

Rarely do I start discussion on mtstars - however, 2014 was a particularly challenging year for myself - an experienced MT/Editor (15+ years). However, I realize that many other MTs may be in the same position, i.e., having many years devoted to working at the Big MTSOs including âthe M,â and âthe Nâ and (now to be included) âthe Tâ following close behind in total numbers of MT/Editors on staff. (Hint: Sure most of you know the M, the N and the T - and the names have been int ...

All Type QA - Good Money?? Good Company???
May 24, 2011

I have expierence with QA, although have never been paid production for it. I do enjoy QA more. Does anyone have expierence at All Type in QA? Are they reliable?? Do they pay well? I currently make about 32000/year and need more. Would this be doable? TIA!! ...

IMEDX Takeover...I Don't Have A Good Feeling About This. Does Anyone Have A Good Sm
Jul 07, 2012

experience with this company.  Sounds like they suck up our accounts and then pay us less than pennies to clean up the trash.  ...

Good Friday; Good Bye Spheris
Apr 02, 2010

Well Good Friday to me.  I left Spheris.  It is indeed the best Friday for me in a very long time.  I've had it with their lousy platform, Mafia QA (they try their best to kill your spirit), mandatory this, mandatory that, do this, don't do that, change this, don't change that; no, don't change this, don't change that, and on and on and on, and now their bankruptcy.  No PTO for the next 4 months to keep the clients satisfied during ...

MT School
Mar 08, 2010

Does anyone know a good MT school course? There are so many of them out, but not sure which ones are worth trying. TIA. ...

How Is School Going For Everyone?
May 22, 2010

I know a lot of MTs are back in school, how are you progressing?  I'm waiting for my FAFSA at the moment and am taking 9 more credits this summer (if everything goes smoothly)  We are living on my husband's income and have had to cut down on quite a bit.  I plan on getting my MSW, hopefully within three to four years.  Anyone else want to share? ...

School Help!
May 09, 2012

Hi there...I am wondering if anyone has any advice about which school might be a better idea and why for Medical Transcription: At Home Professions Career Step I live in Minnesota, want to work only from home, have 3 4 year college degrees, one a Master's.  thanks! ...

Meditec School
Nov 30, 2009

I am looking into taking a course with Meditec.  Unfortnately, I cannot find any information about this on the boards.  If anyone has taken their billing/coding course, please let me know if you were prepared for employment when done.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Has Anyone Gone To Allied For MT School?
Dec 31, 2009

Just wondering if anyone went to Allied Medical Schooling for MT and how they liked it? How did you do and if you felt prepared for work after getting done with it? I just want to know how others done with it and how they liked it? ...

School Questions . . .
Jan 19, 2010

Okay, so I know there are recommended schools out there.  But what about the local community college?  If I were to take coding classes there, could I get certified?  What about some of these online schools?  Can you coders share your schooling/training experience please? ...

MT Course At ALLIED Med School
Jan 23, 2010

Has anyone heard anything about Allied Medical School's Medical Transcription course? They are approved by AHDI, the price is reasonable (not cheapest but not most expensive) and the course includes a laptop, CD materials and actual textbooks(unlike CareerStep that provides photo copies). I want to get started on my schooling but I want to make the best choice I can. Any info/feed back would be greatly appreciated. ...

Is 40 Too Old To Go Back To School?
Feb 02, 2010

Being an MT is not paying my bills.  I am thinking about going back to school, but I am 40 and it has been so long since I was in high school.  I have to google to help my son with his 4th grade homework let alone do college math. AND it will be 2 to 4 years before I will get a good job.  I am leaning towards radiology tech, lab tech, or maybe nursing.  Can't  decide just yet but I know that EMR isn't going to be taking those jobs away!!!  Any advice ...

To Those Back In School
Mar 01, 2010

How are you adjusting?  Today is my first day and I want to pull my hair out, lol!  I know I need to give myself a chance to adjust, but i'm the type I want to learn quickly so I don't stress over it or feel incompetent.  I'm just rusty I guess, I hope I get into the groove of things, maybe get to the point where I enjoy it.  Just wondering how you all are doing with the school or profession change.  I've been an MT so long I feel like i'm c ...