A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Good MT School? Need Advice - Kat2

Posted: Jan 06, 2015

Hi everyone. I was recommended by a friend to visit this site. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on a good MT school/Program? Ive looked into CareerStep and they are a little pricy for my budget right now. I would love for the school to offer job assistance after graduation (if possible). Can anyone help me?

Thank You!!!!

My advice... - star

[ In Reply To ..]
Skip MT altogether and get into coding or billing instead. Transcription is really on the way out as a career, and the last thing you want to do is invest a bunch of time and money into a profession that isn't worth what you put into it.

No school for MT will help you with anything - CINDY

[ In Reply To ..]
Your obviously new here and your friend may have told you to come to this board because we all know that there is no future in MT anymore and we are the hanger ons that have been doing this job for 10, 20, 30 years and haven't yet gotten another job doing something else or finished school for something else. Do you want to make money at MT or work for peanuts and not be able to afford anything like the rest of us. No MT job is going to pay you anything. There is no future, so don't waste your money. Sorry. That's just the way it is.

To OP: I'm curious what made you decide to get into - MT now?

[ In Reply To ..]
It's the worst time to get into this field. First do some research on this board, not just for a school suggestion, but whether to make MT a career.

There is no longer flexibility (many companies monitor your keyboard time), day shifts are rare (weekends and night are more common), you'll have to work every holiday, pay is low because of offshoring, very high stress, and technology is replacing the MT (you'll be competing for jobs with MTs who have decades of experience).

If you just scroll down this board, for example, you'll see posts with titles like "Self confidence is at an all-time low thanks to working for MTSOs", "another one bites the dust", "Wish Me Luck - Job Interview at Burger King", and "Dear MTSO: A quality improvement program does not - consist of screams and threats."

Agree 10,000% - Dee

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually 10,000% is to low number to say how much I agree with the above statements. Please, do not waste your time studying medical transcription. If you do, you will absolutely regret. I've been doing transcription for 17 years. When I first started, dictation was done on a cassette or a dictaphone. Then came voice recognition and off-shoring our work to India, then more and more demands to type/edit faster, little to no raise, waiting for work, putting in more hours than being paid for, losing accounts, harassed by QA and managers. I literally beg you not to waste your time.

Reply to above post - Kat2

[ In Reply To ..]
I looked into doing Mt because I am expecting my first child in June and needed something I could do from home. That really is the main reason. I didn't want to return to my current job so I'm sure exploring my options.
Don't fall for the schools that push the baby in lap - MT pictures
[ In Reply To ..]
That is the FARTHEST thing from the truth. There is no flexibility. Companies monitor your keyboard time, have time clocks, and there are minimum volumes that need to be met (lines per hour). You also need quiet and utter focus on the screen and what you are hearing for hours at a time. There is high stress now because in addition to all this, you are graded on mistakes, and that includes missing a "the" or an "and". No exaggeration.

It's hard for an MT who lives alone, never mind someone who will have a newborn baby and sleepless nights. It's not your fault, though . It's these matchbook schools still pushing MT as a viable career and misleading people.
It is possible to code from home - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
It is possible to code from home, and coder salaries are much better, working conditions are better, and -- sad to say -- respect is better. Especially from employers. You will need AHIMA credentials in most cases. You will need to choose a school that will enable you to qualify to take the CCS. There are restrictions. To get a job without experience, you will really need to make an effort.

Few schools are going to provide enough training. Andrews does and has a good success rate -- they have students getting remote jobs. A few colleges ... very few ... might. I don't recommend any others.

You get exactly what you pay for.

How insulting - Good grief
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, I guess that just hit me wrong today... I am leaving the field myself and finishing my last week. A good school is Andrews if they still teach MT. Otherwise, I would avoid it. It really is a dying profession.

A "friend" recommened you to come here? Does that friend - know anything at all about MT? sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Including what a disaster it is? I wonder why someone would even bother recommending people to come here and consider MT any more. Anybody who really knows anything about MT, that is.

She probably recommended coming here so - she could read for herself - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
about what a waste of time it would be to get into MT at this point. It's on its way out, and it would only take a few minutes of reading these boards to realize that. Her friend did her a favor.

While you may want to rethink going into MT - at all, if you are really

[ In Reply To ..]
determined to go ahead, then I would recommend checking out the list of approved schools at AHDI (link below). However, I kind of doubt that you will find an approved school that is much cheaper than CareerStep.

If you are determined - to throw your money away

[ In Reply To ..]
then you might as well just go with the cheapest "school" you can find. The money will be wasted no matter what training you get, so reduce the damage as much as possible.

MT work is drying up. This means that a lot of experienced MTs are being laid off and are looking for work. That will be your competition--people with many years of experience. Whatever you learn in school will be just a tiny percentage of what you need to know to make any money and only a tiny percentage of the skill and knowledge of the experienced MTs you will be competing with. If there were more demand for MTs, it would be cost-effective for companies to take on newbies and provide OJT. Unfortunately, the demand for MTs is decreasing, so companies can have their pick of people who already know how to do the job and don't require any handholding. Many will not even test new graduates because they know they can get experienced people and pay them peanuts.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

My advice -- do not get into MT field - sick and tired

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a 25 plus year veteran of transcription. My advice to anyone thinking about transcription is run, run away fast. I would never encourage anyone enter the MT field.

A better suggestion... - Mary

[ In Reply To ..]
I am going to be totally, completely honest with you. I have been an MT since 1984. Thirty years gives me an insider's perspective.

If I were you, I would take the exact amount of money you were going to spend on an MT school, take the cash out in the back yard, douse it with lighter fluid, and stand back and throw a lit match on it, and watch it explode in flames.

That is precisely what you will earn if you waste your precious money on a degree for a field in which you will not only not earn a living, you will be wasting money on equipment, a better internet connection, your time, energy, tears, heartache, possibly a broken marriage, children standing out in the cold and rain to beg for food, etc. Trying to throw some humor into my post because you might not believe me. I would not have encouraged Saddam Hussein, Osama Bin Laden (sp), Joseph Stalin, or the Grinch to take an MT course and plan to get a job. Don't do it. Please, please, please. There are few jobs to be had, and it would be a rare thing to find one where you could actually earn a living wage.

Here is a link.... - Nice lady

[ In Reply To ..]
While I'm not advocating for ADHI they do have a good list of schools at this link - these are some of the better places that actually train you well enough to get hired. As far as the naysayers - I'd not look into coding as many of those jobs are also leaving the US. There is still plenty of MT work to be done and when you take in the value that most of us are able to work at home and some places allow you flexible hours it is better than some other occupations.

http://www.ahdionline.org/Careers/FindanApprovedHealthcareDocumentationSchool/tabid/251/Default.aspx

Similar Messages:

Good School
Oct 08, 2011

Hello - I am researching schools for MT education/training. I have seen Andrews mentioned here as a very good one. Does anyone have any knowledge of Career Steps or Future MT? I want a great education and don't want to inadvertently get on the "kiss (of death) list"! Any other contenders? Thanks so much for your input!     ...

Good Training School
Jun 09, 2010

I need some advice on good schools to use for transcription training.  I have been talking to Kaplan University about their program.  Does anyone know anything about them they can advise?  Has anyone else used them?  I am afraid since they aren't a local college in the state of Texas, where I live, I will have a hard time finding work after graduation.  Any thoughts?  All help would be appreciated! ...

Looking For A Good Online MT School
Sep 03, 2011

I've been searching for an online MT school that has a good rep among Mt's and MT employers for been a good school with a good training.  So far I have on the list CareerStep, M-Tec, and Andrews. Please, any opinions and advice about these schools (or any other I don't know about), negative and positive, would be soooo welcome since I'm having a hard time choosing a school.  I would not like to waste my money on a school with a poor training and not known ...

Is CareerStep A Good School???
Feb 27, 2014

Is this school okay or a scame ...

FutureMT-Good School?!
Jan 29, 2015

Hello! I am looking to start my career in MT, but not sure of what school to use. I have been told about FutureMT by a girl that used to do MT, however the school is not accredited. I didn't know if this actually matters or not. It's about half the price of career step and other schools I've seen. Any feed back would be soooo appreciated!  ...

Is Penn Foster MT School Any Good?
Dec 31, 2009

I started transcription a bazillion years ago before they were even any schools around.  My daughter now wants to get into it and is looking at Penn Foster.  Is their program any good or is there a better one out there that would help make it easier to find a job when she gets out? Thank you in advance :) ...

Medical Transcription - Good School ?
Sep 12, 2010

Hi. i    want to know if anyone    know  of a good school for medical  transcription   i've been looking online but  don't knoe what  school to choose. I want a school that have internships.  Thanks! ...

Good Medical Coding School
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, does anyone out there know of good medical coding schools, either in school or online, perferrably online.  Heard of The Andrews School?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Minny ...

Career Step Or Andrews Is A Good School?
Jan 27, 2010

Anyone know if Career Step or Andrews is a good school? I'm trying to decide on which one to go to. ...

Searching For Good Online MT School For Canadian
Jan 01, 2011

I'm searching everywhere on web for info on the best recommended schools for Medical Transcription.  Canscribe is said to be 'one of the best', however it's soooo expensive.  Does anyone know a few other good schools recommended by AHDI ?     ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

Career Step - Is A Good School To Attend For MT Training
Jan 15, 2011

I would like to know if anyone thinks Career Step is a good school to attend for MT training. Andrews and MTEC are quite a bit more expensive and I don't think I can afford them. I can't really afford Career Step. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Workstation With A Good Pullout Keyboard Tray
Dec 04, 2014

that is wide enough for a wrist rest.  This needs to be in my bedroom so cant be too huge.  I like the tower off the floor also.  Thanks.  ...

2014 - Not A Good Year For This MT â But I Found A Good Fit (finally)
Jan 12, 2015

Rarely do I start discussion on mtstars - however, 2014 was a particularly challenging year for myself - an experienced MT/Editor (15+ years). However, I realize that many other MTs may be in the same position, i.e., having many years devoted to working at the Big MTSOs including âthe M,â and âthe Nâ and (now to be included) âthe Tâ following close behind in total numbers of MT/Editors on staff. (Hint: Sure most of you know the M, the N and the T - and the names have been int ...

All Type QA - Good Money?? Good Company???
May 24, 2011

I have expierence with QA, although have never been paid production for it. I do enjoy QA more. Does anyone have expierence at All Type in QA? Are they reliable?? Do they pay well? I currently make about 32000/year and need more. Would this be doable? TIA!! ...

IMEDX Takeover...I Don't Have A Good Feeling About This. Does Anyone Have A Good Sm
Jul 07, 2012

experience with this company.  Sounds like they suck up our accounts and then pay us less than pennies to clean up the trash.  ...

Good Friday; Good Bye Spheris
Apr 02, 2010

Well Good Friday to me.  I left Spheris.  It is indeed the best Friday for me in a very long time.  I've had it with their lousy platform, Mafia QA (they try their best to kill your spirit), mandatory this, mandatory that, do this, don't do that, change this, don't change that; no, don't change this, don't change that, and on and on and on, and now their bankruptcy.  No PTO for the next 4 months to keep the clients satisfied during ...

MT School
Mar 08, 2010

Does anyone know a good MT school course? There are so many of them out, but not sure which ones are worth trying. TIA. ...

How Is School Going For Everyone?
May 22, 2010

I know a lot of MTs are back in school, how are you progressing?  I'm waiting for my FAFSA at the moment and am taking 9 more credits this summer (if everything goes smoothly)  We are living on my husband's income and have had to cut down on quite a bit.  I plan on getting my MSW, hopefully within three to four years.  Anyone else want to share? ...

School Help!
May 09, 2012

Hi there...I am wondering if anyone has any advice about which school might be a better idea and why for Medical Transcription: At Home Professions Career Step I live in Minnesota, want to work only from home, have 3 4 year college degrees, one a Master's.  thanks! ...

Meditec School
Nov 30, 2009

I am looking into taking a course with Meditec.  Unfortnately, I cannot find any information about this on the boards.  If anyone has taken their billing/coding course, please let me know if you were prepared for employment when done.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Has Anyone Gone To Allied For MT School?
Dec 31, 2009

Just wondering if anyone went to Allied Medical Schooling for MT and how they liked it? How did you do and if you felt prepared for work after getting done with it? I just want to know how others done with it and how they liked it? ...

School Questions . . .
Jan 19, 2010

Okay, so I know there are recommended schools out there.  But what about the local community college?  If I were to take coding classes there, could I get certified?  What about some of these online schools?  Can you coders share your schooling/training experience please? ...

MT Course At ALLIED Med School
Jan 23, 2010

Has anyone heard anything about Allied Medical School's Medical Transcription course? They are approved by AHDI, the price is reasonable (not cheapest but not most expensive) and the course includes a laptop, CD materials and actual textbooks(unlike CareerStep that provides photo copies). I want to get started on my schooling but I want to make the best choice I can. Any info/feed back would be greatly appreciated. ...

Is 40 Too Old To Go Back To School?
Feb 02, 2010

Being an MT is not paying my bills.  I am thinking about going back to school, but I am 40 and it has been so long since I was in high school.  I have to google to help my son with his 4th grade homework let alone do college math. AND it will be 2 to 4 years before I will get a good job.  I am leaning towards radiology tech, lab tech, or maybe nursing.  Can't  decide just yet but I know that EMR isn't going to be taking those jobs away!!!  Any advice ...

To Those Back In School
Mar 01, 2010

How are you adjusting?  Today is my first day and I want to pull my hair out, lol!  I know I need to give myself a chance to adjust, but i'm the type I want to learn quickly so I don't stress over it or feel incompetent.  I'm just rusty I guess, I hope I get into the groove of things, maybe get to the point where I enjoy it.  Just wondering how you all are doing with the school or profession change.  I've been an MT so long I feel like i'm c ...