A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

About Accredited Schools - School Loans - and Oppressive Debt Resulting From Them - From Various Sources

Posted: Jan 05, 2012

This past year I have read dozens of articles about "accredited" schools that are "approved for federal student loans", that enroll students, enticing them by offering financial aid, pressuring them to enroll even, calling them, e-maiing them, then, after they get them enrolled, not teaching them enough so they can get a job to repay those student loans. They keep them in the program long enough so that they get paid, giving the students "happy grades" so they don't get discouraged and quit before the school gets its money. Schools get rich, but their students suffer for years, maybe never being able to get rid of that debt, which can't be discharged by bankruptcy.

The one I read today, and I won't link to it because that's against board rules, says that students are being "swallowed up in debt" because it's so easy for them to be enticed into it,  and then they have no way to repay it.  Some of the schools charge $30,000 for a medical transcription course, for example.  The people in the article I read today have $150,000 in debt each, a husband and wife, but the librarian jobs they got will never pay enough so they can repay the debt.

Re: About Accredited Schools - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Your post is very informative. Every potential MT should read--and heed--it. Frequently as I am enjoying my retirement and reading various magazines, I see ads from various "institutes" (I love the way they use that high-minded term), luring people into the transcription field with a promise of $40,000 possible! This is just nonsense. Oh, it is possible to make 40K and more (I did) but it takes years and years of experience and a facility for the language. The trouble with these "institutes" is that they will take anyone who can send them a check. I would bet that they would enroll a rhinoceros if it had money in its paw (hoof?). Compounding this sad state of affairs is that there are many people who are so focused on "I want to work at home," that they do not stop to consider: 1. Am I cut out for this kind of career? 2. How can I check out this school to make sure it's legit? WHY am I choosing this school. (Please don't say because it is cheap. If you cannot get a job and nobody will take you seriously in the MT marketplace, how is it worth anything at all?) Do they bother to ask to speak with former grads? Do they actually call HR at some of the big nationals to ask if they hire grads from the XYZ school? They do none of these things. They just naively plunk down their money, get some "certificate" that has about as much value as something that falls out of a Cracker Jack box, and think they are ready to go to work. They will likely not get a job (I would not hire from these "institutes" because I long ago learned how ill-prepared their grads are), or if they somehow do luck out and do get a job, they cannot perform satisfactorily. While much of the blame should be on these "schools," there is also a responsibility for each person to think critically and carefully and to investigate any school BEFORE enrollment. If people would do that, likely these "institutes" and matchbooks could be put out of business.

Old Pro, You reminded me of the schools that have what I call 'Fire Sales' every month - Not a good sign

[ In Reply To ..]
Over the years I've seen so many 'discounted' or special deals that schools offer when they get desperate. That's a very good sign that you need to run the other way.

Where do you find legit schools then? - nelly

[ In Reply To ..]
In my small town, I would go to the local community college. Maybe that is enough or not, but how would I know? About a 1/2 hour from there, there are several schools, Kaplan College, Sanford Brown College, names that have popped up recently, and how would I know the difference? I would think "Accredited" means that it is good.

No, you would be completely off base with that advice - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Accredited means they get financial aid. Some schools don't want to participate in those programs and some do. Some very bad schools do. That is no method of determining if they are good or not.

Community colleges are fine if they place you in jobs, which they rarely do, and if you only want to work locally, rather than for the national services. They usually do not hire graduates of community colleges.

so, if I wanted to go back to school - for medical assisting

[ In Reply To ..]
You are saying dont go to a school like Kaplan College because they are accredited and that means I will not get the proper education to become a medical assistant, but if I want a local job, my community college would be ok?
It depends on the school - Just don't go by whether they are accredited or not - because often that means a bad school
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not commenting on any specific school. As a starting place though, find out which schools are getting students prepared well enough so they can find jobs. If the school can't prove that they get people ready, that's because they can't and don't. If you want to work locally, community college may or may not prepare you well enough. Some are really bad and others are pretty good. None of them seem to prepare anyone for medical transcription very well, although there may be an exception or two out there. I just haven't seen them be very effective with medical transcription. Medical assistant, maybe so. Do their students get jobs? Do they help? Can they tell you where their graduates are placed?
Yes, it does depend on the school - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I would never hesitate for even one second to hire an Andrews grad. (And no, I am not now nor have I ever been, associated with Andrews.) Most of their grads have more than one job offer even before graduation. There is a reason for that. On the other hand, when people would approach me from one or the other of these "institutes" that advertise in women's magazines or (sweet heaven forbid) come to your city with an "informational seminar," I would listen to them politely, and when they were out the door, would sail their resume right into the round file. I will not waste my time or theirs in a charade. They are simply not prepared. And besides, in this economy, they are competing with Andrews grads and people with 20+ years of experience. It is kind of like buying a car. If you had your choice of two different cars AT THE SAME PRICE (a Rolls Royce or a second-hand Chevy) which one would take? Thought so.
Not good advice a all - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
KC is a for-profit diploma mill. They charge ridiculous tuition so they can collect federal financial aid. They are accredited by an organization formed by colleges like themselves to accredit for profits. They had to form their own because no regional collegiate agency like the ones that accredit state schools and privates like Harvard and Stanford would accredit them.

Medical assisting in most areas is not rocket science. It is akin to nurses aide. Community colleges usually do not teach it because the level is too low. If that is what you want to do, see if your community has an adult vocational school that teaches it. If there is a demand for med assistants in your area there probably will be one.

Education for med assts and LPNs is similar. Consider LPN instead. Jobs may be more plentiful and pay higher. MA takes a few months and LPN about 9 months. RN is a 2 year associate degree program and can usually be done as an extension of an LPN program.

Whatever you do not pay a school like Kaplan some huge amount. You will not earn it back.

Be sure what a community college is. Kaplan is in your community but that is not what the community means. It does not mean any local affair calling itself a college. It means a 2 year college run by state or other governmental auspices for the benefit of the community. It offers degree programs and students are eligible to transfer to a 4 year college when they finish.

So if you go back to school - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
A course in basic logic would serve you well. I am not being unkind and I am not joking. You are jumping from A to Z in conclusions here. Basic logic would teach you how to not infer meanings that are not there. And avoid community colleges for anything related to MT! :)

Community colleges - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
It has been my experience that grads of community colleges have not had nearly enough training. You need the SUM program with lots and lots of actual physician dictation. Most community colleges are way too short.

Community colleges - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I would not hire from community colleges. There may well be some fine grads out there, but my experience has been that they are not nearly extensively well trained. Kind of like hiring an engineer who took only algebra but was not given geometry, trig, or calculus.

Nelly - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, what you think is erroneous. What you need to do is to check with the pros--speak to an MTSO or two. I know I never had a problem with giving a 15-minute block of time to someone who was honestly inquiring about things. Do an Internet search. Check with the BBB. Come to forums like this. Contact whatever national you prefer and ask them if they hire MTs who are grads of the "Acme or XYZ School of Transcription." Speak with other MTs. Ask those who have experience. Come to this board and ask questions. Do not make assumptions. Anyone can say they are "accredited." That means virtually nothing. Even a simple Google search will reveal that many (most?) of these so-called institutes promise things they cannot deliver. I recommend people to call Andrews and speak to their people on the phone. I have never done that, but I understand from other people that the staff there is very courteous and kind and will tell you what you need to know to make an intelligent choice. Above all, don't waste money on a "cheap" school. It will be the most expensive mistake you have ever made, because some "institute" will have your money and no one will hire you. Be proactive and fend for yourself. There are a lot of sharks out there, especially in this economy. Above all, remember: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. You might want to read some of my other posts in this section--there is one very detailed one about how to choose a school. Good luck to you. Keep your eyes open and don't believe all you hear from potential schools. Ask for the names of some grads you can talk to.

I thought that is what I was doing - nelly

[ In Reply To ..]
I was asking questions on this board, like you recommended.
You are, and you are getting answers, but maybe not the answers you want, right? - We are trying to help
[ In Reply To ..]
I see myself posting pretty much at the same time as Old Pro. We are trying very hard to give you good advice. I've agreed with everything Old Pro has said.
Nelly - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, asking questions on this board is a great FIRST step! Keep on doing it! :) But don't assume because something says it is "accredited," that is the equivalent of "adequate." Accreditation, as someone else has already pointed out, has to do with receiving funding, not with quality assurance. You have made a great first step in coming here and please, do ask questions here and whatever I can answer (42 years of experience in MT), I will be happy to, and I am sure that the other MTs will as well. My point was, you need to talk to MTs who do it all the time. If I want to be a cardiac surgeon, the best thing I can do is to beg an interview with an actual cardiac surgeon and have her tell me the lay of the land, so to speak. Is the residency really that tough? What are the best hospitals in the US for cardiac surgery? Etc. etc. Nobody but a cardiac surgeon herself could give me the kind of "on the ground" answers I would need. Similarly, I am betting that if someone considering one of these "institutes" were to call them and ask the people staffing it if they had ever actually been a transcriptionist, the answer would be no. For all you know, the "institute" is likely 1200 square feet of rented space in some grade B building. Caveat emptor!
Nelly - Please read this - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Here is the former post, which had aged and gone off the board. Several people said it was helpful, so I am reposting it for you:

Several people have asked me if I think MT is still a viable career. Coincidentally, today as I was cleaning out some files, I found notes from a seminar I gave and thought I would summarize a few of the thoughts, hoping they might be of value to someone out there. (Moderator, if you don't feel this is appropriate, please just delete the post.) First, there are three "myths" to consider: 1. The myth that medical transcription is easy money. Many of the not so reliable schools push this idea and use it to exploit people. It makes me really disheartened that many people who do not have much money to begin with get taken in by this. Shame on the schools who do this! 2. The second myth is that it does not matter where you go to school; you can get a good medical transcription education anywhere. Again, another myth. The old saying that "you get what you pay for" really applies. When I am counseling people face to face, I always advise that the two things they MUST have from any program are the SUM program and real, live instructors. 3. The third myth is that you can always learn "the old fashioned way--on the job." That was true up until perhaps the end of the 70s; it is surely not true now. The marketplace and its structure (and pace) have changed too radically. When interviewing schools, ask questions: 1. Where are your graduates working? Can you give me the names of 2-3 grads who would be willing to share their experience with me? 2. How long has the school been in business? Is it a private entity? A sole proprietorship? Who are the principals? How are your instructors chosen? 3. Do your financial homework. Call the BBB and the Department of Business Regulation for the locality in which the school is registered. Have there been complaints? Have the complaints been satisfactorily resolved? 4. What form of financial aid do you offer? 5. How accessible are your instructors and by what means? E-mail only? Are telephone calls permitted/encouraged? 6. Does your school use authentic physician dictation such as in The SUM program? Or does it merely use scripts read by actors? 7. What type of follow-up does your school offer? Can I "retake" any portions of the course with which I have difficulty? How many tries do I have to pass the final? 8. What kind of placement program do you have? What percentage of your grads get placed? (There should not be a fee for placement.) 9. Utilize the wisdom of the "old salts"--ancient MTs like yours truly who have been in this business for decades. Most older MTs are happy to help newbies. Many people helped me when I was starting out, and in gratitude, I try to help people just starting. Those are just some thoughts that I culled from the seminar I did. I hope something in here helps someone. Have a great week!

I just went to the website - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
of the U.S. Career Institute and saw their schtick about "GET CERTIFIED." To me (I am not a lawyer), this is blatently misleading. What people get is a certificate from the "institute"--and they are NOT certified. No wonder so many newbies are telling people they are CMTs when they are not. (I am not either, because I ethically cannot support the AHDI, but that is a whole other matter.) My point is that it sounds like these schools are deceiving folks.

They actually tell you that you ARE a CMT. - mtlt

[ In Reply To ..]
When you receive the certificate, they tell you that you are a CMT and that you must take a test to renew every (if I remember correctly) three years. I didn't even know that there was such a thing as an RMT until after I started sending out resumes. When you try to contact them after graduation to ask why you are not actually a CMT, they put you on hold for a while and then hang up on you.

mtlt - re: CMT - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
If they are telling you that you are a CMT, then they are committing a fraud. You as well as the AHDI have a cause of action against them. If I were in your shoes, I would call the AHDI and tell them what is happening. Mind you, I am no fan of the AHDI, but this is simply a fraud--against the AHDI, against you, and against the general public. These folks need to be put out of business.

Deleted - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Thread About Accredited Colleges/Schools - School Loans - And Oppressive Debt Resulting From Them -
Jan 07, 2012

There's an interesting thread on the New MT board about accredited schools, school loans, and oppressive debt students are facing. I did a search today and there are dozens of articles talking about how students are thousands of dollars in debt for student loans when the education they got was so poor that they can't find a job at all. Others can find a job, but it will take 20-30 years for them to pay back the student loans.  They went to those schools because they got pressured ...

Is It Necessary To Go In Debt With Student Loans To Adequately Learn Coding?
May 19, 2010

I know that all schools are not created equal, but What I really want to know is how these three schools really rank in the eyes of an experienced coder or someone who has been involved in any of these programs Career Step A college or university with credits and an AA degree AHIMA Do you think Career step is equal to AHIMA as far as learning? ...

Accredited And Reputable Transcription Schools...
Apr 02, 2011

What is the best Online MT school?  I am currently doing alot of research on schools for MT and am finding that there are TONS of options and I am getting confused as to what is an isn't important.  I've been told to check accreditation on both the ahdionline.org website and the chea.org.  However, not all schools are listed on both sites... This may be a silly question, but does anyone have a certain school that they recommend?  Currently I have a Bachelors of Scie ...

Anyone (who Has Student Loans For MT School) Try This...
Mar 08, 2014

Not that it would be possible, just something I myself have been looking into.  The trade school I went to, I paid a little over $12k for my MT course of 9 months.  The school is not AHDI certified.  I was told ( Back in 2009) that I could get a job right after graduation and be able to work from home.  I had great teachers who refused to just pass everyone (as some were instructed to do by the school so they could keep their accredidation from the state).   I was going ...

At-Home Professions Is An Accredited School
Nov 10, 2009

I am a graduate of At-Home Professions, I graduated in 2006.  It is an accredited school.  After completion of the program which actually took about one year, because I was working full time and completing the online course at the same time.  I was impressed with the courses and the help/assistance I received upon completion of the course.  When I completed the course I applied at a local MT company and was picked up to work in-house for one year and then home to work.  I have been employed ...

Transam Assoc. & My So-called Accredited School
Sep 16, 2010

I have been reading through this site about good schools and also I found that there was information about Transam Associates.  As far as schools go, I graduated from Allied School of Medical and was told that they had companies lined up for their new grads because their program was so good!  They would assist you in finding a job and blah, blah, blah.  Only $2,970 and you can pay over a year or get funding.  They were accredited.  Well, within a month or so, my finances ...

Going To Go To School For RHIT, Does It Matter If It Is Accredited Through CHAIIM
Nov 13, 2014

I have gone through coding school.  I am not credentialed and it's been about 2-1/2 years since I finished school.  So, I am rusty in the guidelines and  thought just going for an Associates would be beneficial.  So, I wondered if it really matters if the school program is CHAIIM accredited, or if any AAS degree in Health Information program will be okay and then get the RHIT crendential.      Thank you in advance greatly! :)  ...

Tax Debt Related To Independenct Contractor Status
Jan 02, 2014

I wonder if anyone else has gotten her/himself into a predicament like mine.  Instead of paying estimated quarterly taxes, I've been trying to pay a lump sum when tax time comes on Apr. 15 each year.  It's a bad situation because I never have the amount that's due to pay.  I've been on an monthly installment plan for 3 years, and I never miss a payment or pay late.  At this point, I still owe for most of 2011 and all of 2012.  I also have a full time ...

If A Program Is Not Accredited, Can You Still Take The
Mar 14, 2014

you can, is the certification the same as if you did take an accredited program, or is it considered less since you program was not accredited? ...

CONSOLIDATING STUDENT LOANS INFO
Oct 07, 2010

Has anyone tried to conslidate any kind of student loans lately.  In 2007 my daughter graduated from a private college.  We took out student loans through Sallie Mae and when she graduated we consolidated them with SallieMae. They never asked if she had a job when we did this.  She has to pay back $350.00 a month.  We told her she can live with us rent free because we could not afford to pay these loans.  Now my second daughter just graduated from college and we had ...

Obama Petition - It Worked For Student Loans, So Why Not Us?
Oct 27, 2011

Here is what I put in this petition - I tried not to make it specific to MT, as there are more jobs that need to come back than just ours.  Stop the overseas off-shoring of American jobs - at least stop those that contain personal information. (this is the title to search for at "we the people" if the link does not post)Stop the overseas off-shoring of American Jobs will keep American Jobs in American, will keep American money in America. Once that money leaves it will n ...

Stone Retrieval Resulting In Ureteral Or "furonicele" Rupture.
Jan 18, 2010

Hello :)  Traumatic rupture during stone retrieval resulting in fluid signal around ureter and "furonicele or ureteral rupture with retroperitoneal fluid." Thank you in advance for you kind help. ...

"charmus" Of The Left Lower Leg Resulting In DVT
Oct 12, 2010

Unfortunately there is crackling, so I can't tell what he's saying.  Full sentence:  "He has had a previous (s/l charmus) of the left lower leg resulting in DVT and then pulmonary infarct." Thanks! ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

What Are The Top 3 MT Schools? Nm
Jan 25, 2011

nm ...

OMg, I Wish These Med Schools
May 01, 2012

would teach these up-and-coming's and anyone who dictates, nurses, etc, how to pronounce words.  Just had an non-ESL pronounce auscultation -- "a-cuss-o-lation."  pleaseeeeeee.  ...

Does Anyone Know Who Does Own/run The Various MT Schools?
Jun 21, 2012

I was reading through the different comments below and now I'm curious about something. Does anyone know who actually owns and runs the various MT schools/programs/courses?  Do we also know how long they have owned/run them? ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

MT Online Schools
Apr 23, 2010

Hello im newly interested to getting certified as an MT and wanting to know about the Online schools that i can trust.   And if this career pays well and is worth getting into ???  Thanks for any input i do appreciate it. ...

Coding Schools - Where Did YOU Go?
Jun 01, 2010

Okay, here we go again.....if anyone has attended a coding school in the last year, is attending a coding school, could you please post your thoughts (was it worth the money, quality, etc)?  I know several people are still on the fence as to whether to pay the large sum to go to a private school (Andrews, DeVry) or attend community colleges in preparation to take their credentials in coding.  I've been reading posts saying the education from all is basically the same, of course it ...

Best Schools/expected Pay
Aug 26, 2010

so now what schools are the best (in Ohio)?  are the on-line schools comparable?  and what can i expect, as a "newbie" to be making once i land a job?  is it better to work for a MT company or be "in" the actual work environment.  hospitals vs doctors offfices, etc.  need all the info i can get.  thanks to everyone again. ...

Online Schools
Dec 07, 2010

I am interested in becoming a medical transcriptionist. I was wondering what online school you would recommend. Two that I saw that was interesting was FutureMT and CareerStep. I want to make sure I pick a good school so i can get a good foundation.Also how long did it take for you to finish school? I heard between 3-6 months. Thanks ...

Has Anyone Went To Allied Schools?
Jan 31, 2011

Has anyone went to Allied Schools?  They are ADHI approved but do not use SUM.  I have talked to many school and would like to know if anyone went here and what their impression was.  Thanks. ...

Allied Schools
Feb 28, 2011

I am going through Allied Schools Medical Transcription program and I was wondering if anyone else out there has gone through them and what they thought. I am close to graduating and also wanted to hear how difficult it was to find a job for an entry level position. Thanks! ...

Reputable Schools
Dec 01, 2011

Anyone out there know of any reputable schools to learning transcription/editing? ...

Do These Schools Use The SUM Program?
Jan 11, 2012

I'm researching MT schools and weighing the various pros and cons. On my shortlist are two schools that use the SUM program--Andrews & MTEC--and two "schools" that I can't get confirmation on--CareerStep and Ed2Go. Any insights on the latter? Thanks! ...

Licensed Schools
Aug 10, 2012

I learned from someone who found out the hard way that it's important to make sure whatever school you go to is licensed by their state. The information is supposed to be displayed on their website and any other catalogs or ads. If not, there may be a problem. The school in question would tell everyone their state didn't require a license. It turned out that the school kept moving not only from state to state, but from country to country and the state they had been living in did requir ...

Penn Foster Schools
Jan 04, 2010

I am currently finishing my schooling from Penn Foster and I guess I didn't do enough research before I signed up for Penn Foster and now I'm regretting it. Ever since I've been hearing all the negative comments about Penn Foster I don't even want to finish the course even though I am on the last lesson. Just getting discouraged and want to know if anyone took Penn Foster courses and found a job. Totally new on this whole MT thing and if you have any information about getting ...

Connection Between Companies/MT Schools?
Feb 07, 2010

Have to admit I'm pretty shocked by several of the posts on this forum, especially concerning how the companies are operating.  New to the MT world here, and guess I'm green.  Hadn't heard much at the school I attended except this forum was "too negative."  I now see there's a legit reason for negative posts about companies if these posters are being honest, and I have no reason to believe they're not. Just wondering how tight a connection the MT schools ...