A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Accredited and Reputable Transcription Schools... - Forever Typing

Posted: Apr 02, 2011

What is the best Online MT school?  I am currently doing alot of research on schools for MT and am finding that there are TONS of options and I am getting confused as to what is an isn't important.  I've been told to check accreditation on both the ahdionline.org website and the chea.org.  However, not all schools are listed on both sites... This may be a silly question, but does anyone have a certain school that they recommend?  Currently I have a Bachelors of Science from Univ. of Maryland in Social Science that I graduated with last May. I am hoping to possibly transfer/test out of some of the required course work, but still receive the best training possible that will prepare me for work as an MT.  I would greatly appreciate all the help and advice that anyone can give me.

Best Schools - All Ears - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You'll read it here over and over:

Andrews
M-Tech
CareerStep

An MT course is not anything like a 4-year degree. You don't get to test out of anything, as far as I know. Learning medical terminology from a transcription end is totally different than learning it for another purpose, IMO.

I went to Andrews. I can't say enough about the training, it is truly excellent. Having their name on your resume will get you work, it is worth the money. I graduated at the end of October 2010, started applying for jobs, and had one in just 3 weeks. I received at least 6 job offers after I started working. I am now working somewhere different than when I started and I still get nibbles on those resumes that went out in November. Good luck!

Read a few posts down. This question has been asked - and answered all up and down this board.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Forever Typing - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been in the biz since the mid-60s and I think that Andrews is head and shoulders above the rest. M-TEC would be a good choice, too. The important thing is that the school uses the SUM program, which is the gold standard. I would avoid any school that has you "self-correct" with an answer key. You deserve more for your money! I would also advise against transferring and testing out. MT is unlike anything else--you (or anybody) will need all the training offered. I wish you luck! You are entering the MT world at a challenging time, but with challenges come opportunities!

schools - Jo

[ In Reply To ..]
Choosing the "right" school is not all there is in becoming a transcriptionist. No matter how good the school, how thorough your training, on that first day on the job you will be overwhelmed by how much you do not know. There is no school that will teach you all that you know. I have been a transcriptionist in a very large family clinic and not many days go by that I do not learn something new. So when choosing a school keep in mind you will not be learning all you need to know...no school teaches everything. I attended my state's community college system and I feel the training I received was good, as good as any other school could give me. The rest you will learn on the job.
I have a question for you...You have a B.S. in social science...why would you want to be a transcriptionist? Few jobs in your field? There are far less in transcription and the pay is pathetic. You might want to read the many posts about how hard it is to find work in this field and what you may expect to earn.

Similar Messages:

Reputable Schools
Dec 01, 2011

Anyone out there know of any reputable schools to learning transcription/editing? ...

MT Training - Reputable Schools
Sep 19, 2013

Hello,  Can someone reccomend a good MT course. It is for my mother. Her position as Medical Records Reviewer was phased out and she has had no luck finding a position since relocating to be with our family in Alabama. She also has a background in nursing.  Unfortunately, she is every salesmans' dream. She is currently considering CareerStep. Huge red flags there!  Also, schools that work with fasfa aould be even better. Thanks in advance,  Christina ...

About Accredited Schools - School Loans - And Oppressive Debt Resulting From Them
Jan 05, 2012

This past year I have read dozens of articles about "accredited" schools that are "approved for federal student loans", that enroll students, enticing them by offering financial aid, pressuring them to enroll even, calling them, e-maiing them, then, after they get them enrolled, not teaching them enough so they can get a job to repay those student loans. They keep them in the program long enough so that they get paid, giving the students "happy grades" so they don't get discouraged and quit ...

Thread About Accredited Colleges/Schools - School Loans - And Oppressive Debt Resulting From Them -
Jan 07, 2012

There's an interesting thread on the New MT board about accredited schools, school loans, and oppressive debt students are facing. I did a search today and there are dozens of articles talking about how students are thousands of dollars in debt for student loans when the education they got was so poor that they can't find a job at all. Others can find a job, but it will take 20-30 years for them to pay back the student loans.  They went to those schools because they got pressured ...

Medical Transcription School - Reputable And Not A Rip-off?
Feb 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me which MT schools are reputable and not a rip-off?  I'm asking for a friend who is interested in getting into the field.  I started so many years ago that I've never had to get certified, so would appreciate any info.  Thanks! ...

Looking For A Reputable Transcription Company Serving Puerto Rico
Aug 20, 2014

Does anyone out there know of a reputable MT company serving Puerto Rico?  I don't know why it is being treated as a foreign country when it is a commonwealth with the United States and I need to move out there to take care of my ailing mother.   ...

Online Schools For Transcription
Aug 04, 2012

I have been an MT for 4 years now and actually completed all my training at a local technical college.  Now, I find myself in a position to mentor some young Military Spouses regarding medical transcription and what online schools would be the better choice for completing a MT certification. I am not that familiar with the online options, so I was hoping to hear the good, the bad, and yes even the ugly about what is out there.  Our spouses have funding of around $4000 and ...

What Are The Best Schools For THOROUGH Medical Transcription Training?
Mar 27, 2011

I'm researching to find out which is the best online school to choose for medical transcription training.  I want to do the training right the first time, so I want to make sure I choose the right one.  They all seem to claim to be the top in the country and to have the most successful graduates.  I don't mind paying for what I'm getting, but I want to make sure I'm not paying for fluff.  I was hoping to get some insight from those who have already be ...

Medical Transcription Online Schools
Apr 26, 2011

I attended a seminar last night for an online medical transcription school.  The school providing the information was At-Home Professions out of Ft. Collins, CO.  After doing some research I have found that they may not give as intense of a schooling as others.  Can anyone give advice on this and/or which schools would provide a better education? ...

Medical Transcription Schools Are Over Priced
Sep 08, 2011

Why are those overpriced MT schools allowed to post ads on this website stating MTs can make up to $60,000, when we all know that is one BIG FAT LIE - not even close! ...

Online Schools For Transcription Courses
Jan 28, 2013

Can anyone here recommend a good online school... where I can take a Medical Transcriptionist Course... and actually get a job when I am finished the course???  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!!! ...

Medical Transcription Schools CareerStep, Andrews & M-Tec
Jan 19, 2010

3 schools were recommended, CareerStep, Andrews & M-Tec, not sure which one to go with.  The tuition goes from $1875-$4975, I am curious why such a huge difference and what is the normal time frame for training.  Some say a 4 month program, a 6 month program & a 9 month program.  Any info is appreciated! Can anyone recommend one of these schools over the other? ...

If A Program Is Not Accredited, Can You Still Take The
Mar 14, 2014

you can, is the certification the same as if you did take an accredited program, or is it considered less since you program was not accredited? ...

At-Home Professions Is An Accredited School
Nov 10, 2009

I am a graduate of At-Home Professions, I graduated in 2006.  It is an accredited school.  After completion of the program which actually took about one year, because I was working full time and completing the online course at the same time.  I was impressed with the courses and the help/assistance I received upon completion of the course.  When I completed the course I applied at a local MT company and was picked up to work in-house for one year and then home to work.  I have been employed ...

Transam Assoc. & My So-called Accredited School
Sep 16, 2010

I have been reading through this site about good schools and also I found that there was information about Transam Associates.  As far as schools go, I graduated from Allied School of Medical and was told that they had companies lined up for their new grads because their program was so good!  They would assist you in finding a job and blah, blah, blah.  Only $2,970 and you can pay over a year or get funding.  They were accredited.  Well, within a month or so, my finances ...

Going To Go To School For RHIT, Does It Matter If It Is Accredited Through CHAIIM
Nov 13, 2014

I have gone through coding school.  I am not credentialed and it's been about 2-1/2 years since I finished school.  So, I am rusty in the guidelines and  thought just going for an Associates would be beneficial.  So, I wondered if it really matters if the school program is CHAIIM accredited, or if any AAS degree in Health Information program will be okay and then get the RHIT crendential.      Thank you in advance greatly! :)  ...

Reputable Companies?
Jan 10, 2012

I have applied to medtrans and MedGarde...both who have shown some interest. I am fairly new transcriptionist, looking for work as an IC....anyone know anything about either of these companies? I have ready so many posts about people being treated badly by different companies and I don't want to be one of them who learns to hate a field I really enjoy working in. Thanks! ...

Is Ashworth College Reputable?
Jan 07, 2010

I recently signed up for Medical Billing and Medical Terminology classes through Ashworth College.  I would like to know if anyone out there is familar with Ashworth College, I've been told that there's a lot of schools out there that just want your money and I want to make sure if I'm making the right decision for me and my family. Thanks in advance for your help! ...

Are There Any (reputable) Companies That Pay Weekly?
May 09, 2011

The only one I have found is Medgarde, and I don't hear much I like about them.  Thanks for any responses. ...

How Do You Know What Companies Are Reputable Anymore
Aug 14, 2012

Reputable Accounts/Hospitals
Mar 01, 2014

We just lost one of the most respected hospitals in the country to EPIC.  I have a phobia about working on disreputable accounts -- the kind that hire non-English-speaking physicians who prey on old, senile, demented individuals and do consult after consult after consult.  The physicians speak little to no English and in my opinion it is all an insurance scam that the disreputable hospitals happily participate in.  Now I have no choice but to be a hippocrit and work on these types ...

Reputable Place To Buy Word 2003 Or 2007
Jan 15, 2013

Looking at starting with a company which uses only the older versions of Word, and I'm not sure which sites/companies are safe to buy from.  Thanks for any help! ...

What Are The Top 3 MT Schools? Nm
Jan 25, 2011

nm ...

OMg, I Wish These Med Schools
May 01, 2012

would teach these up-and-coming's and anyone who dictates, nurses, etc, how to pronounce words.  Just had an non-ESL pronounce auscultation -- "a-cuss-o-lation."  pleaseeeeeee.  ...

Does Anyone Know Who Does Own/run The Various MT Schools?
Jun 21, 2012

I was reading through the different comments below and now I'm curious about something. Does anyone know who actually owns and runs the various MT schools/programs/courses?  Do we also know how long they have owned/run them? ...

MT Online Schools
Apr 23, 2010

Hello im newly interested to getting certified as an MT and wanting to know about the Online schools that i can trust.   And if this career pays well and is worth getting into ???  Thanks for any input i do appreciate it. ...

Coding Schools - Where Did YOU Go?
Jun 01, 2010

Okay, here we go again.....if anyone has attended a coding school in the last year, is attending a coding school, could you please post your thoughts (was it worth the money, quality, etc)?  I know several people are still on the fence as to whether to pay the large sum to go to a private school (Andrews, DeVry) or attend community colleges in preparation to take their credentials in coding.  I've been reading posts saying the education from all is basically the same, of course it ...

Best Schools/expected Pay
Aug 26, 2010

so now what schools are the best (in Ohio)?  are the on-line schools comparable?  and what can i expect, as a "newbie" to be making once i land a job?  is it better to work for a MT company or be "in" the actual work environment.  hospitals vs doctors offfices, etc.  need all the info i can get.  thanks to everyone again. ...

Online Schools
Dec 07, 2010

I am interested in becoming a medical transcriptionist. I was wondering what online school you would recommend. Two that I saw that was interesting was FutureMT and CareerStep. I want to make sure I pick a good school so i can get a good foundation.Also how long did it take for you to finish school? I heard between 3-6 months. Thanks ...

Has Anyone Went To Allied Schools?
Jan 31, 2011

Has anyone went to Allied Schools?  They are ADHI approved but do not use SUM.  I have talked to many school and would like to know if anyone went here and what their impression was.  Thanks. ...