A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Connection between companies/MT schools? - luvzminis

Posted: Feb 07, 2010

Have to admit I'm pretty shocked by several of the posts on this forum, especially concerning how the companies are operating.  New to the MT world here, and guess I'm green.  Hadn't heard much at the school I attended except this forum was "too negative."  I now see there's a legit reason for negative posts about companies if these posters are being honest, and I have no reason to believe they're not.

Just wondering how tight a connection the MT schools have with MT companies?  Do the schools know how bad things have become?  I'd think they would have to.  I feel like I've been in the dark and am just now beginning to see how ugly the MT business can be.  Don't want to generalize about every company, obviously, but have to say I'm really shocked that so many companies are in such bad shape.  Shouldn't the schools be doing a heads up for current and future would be students?  I feel like we've been urged to put on rose-tinted glasses and ignore the bad stuff.

I got my MT training from a local community college - Ann

[ In Reply To ..]
about seven years ago. I don't know what the online or correspondence schools are telling their students now, but the course manager at the CC I attended met with each student before we began the MT courses to tell us that jobs were hard to come by and it might take a long time to find a job. She wanted us to know that before we paid for the courses in case we wanted to change our minds. I already had a job offer through a colleague at my day job, but I really appreciated being told about the potential difficulty of finding a job before I paid for the course.

I worked for my first employer for six years as an IC at a very good line rate, but they converted to am templated EMR system that did not require transcriptionists. I still wanted to have a part-time job, so I got to experience the MT job-hunting jungle first-hand. It took about three months to find another part-time job, though at a lower line rate, unfortunately. The issue wasn't so much finding a job since I had good experience and passed the employment tests, it was finding a part-time job that would work with my schedule.

I think the jobs are out there, it just takes a lot of work to find them. A local service or working directly for a doctor's office or clinic might be the best option for newbies now, but that takes a lot of legwork since those jobs are not necessarily going to be advertised on the major MT-job websites.

Best of luck to you in your job search.

schools - dont know

[ In Reply To ..]
Most of the schools are out to tell you what they want you to know, and most of that is so they can get your money, and not to tell you the real story about this profession.

Been at this 35+ years, and if I were younger I would be going back to do just about anything other than this. Hope you are not too far into the school sessions yet, or can switch to something else while you still can. Most of the stuff here is true, the jobs are few and far between, with less lines and less pay.

There are plenty of jobs - if you have kept your skills updated

[ In Reply To ..]
Naturally in this economy there aren't as many jobs as there were 5 years ago, but there are plenty of jobs for people who have good skills. The problem I'm seeing is this. Not all experienced MTs have kept up or even want to keep up with industry changes. If they lose a job, their skills aren't good enough to find another one.

Not all companies are doing poorly - You are right not to generalize

[ In Reply To ..]
There are plenty of medical transcriptionists who are doing well. I know people with the huge companies and some with the small ones. Just like every other industry, there are winners and losers. The same thing with schools and the same thing with students. There are some good ones and some really awful ones.

The happy medical transcriptionists rarely post because they are busy working most of the time. You'll occasionally see one, but they don't live on message boards because they have different priorities. When they are here, they don't brag about their employers because it isn't their priority. Some of us come here to see what we can learn that can help us with our own jobs. The rest of it, the negative part, just brings you down if you live there.

common sense kinda says if the schools gave you a heads up - (sm) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
they'd be out of business real quick.
Surely you don't think they would that to themselves, do you? come on...

Did you reasearch the field before signing up? Read SEVERAL boards, collect articles, study statistics (pay, number of companies, number of certified-noncertified transcriptionists) from say, census bureaus? Did you network with working transcriptioninst both inhouse or at home?

not to answer, food for thought.

Similar Messages:

Internet Connection
May 12, 2010

I was wondering why most companies do not support or want satelite internet???? ...

Satellite Connection
Feb 15, 2011

I am about to be moving out in the boonies and was wondering what companies allow you to work with satellite Like WildBlue, Hughes or dial-up.  ...

Transcription Connection, INC.
Dec 13, 2011

Has anyone ever heard of Transcription Connection, Inc. out of Lynchburg, OH?  I was thinking of sending them a resume.  Any information would be great! THANKS! ...

Transcription Connection
Mar 12, 2012

Any one work for this company? how's the pay? ...

Dictatphone Connection?
Apr 06, 2014

anyone else having connection problems with dictaphone?  My stopped working about 30 min ago, not getting a response from anyone. ...

Getting No Internet Connection?
May 11, 2014

Obviously my internet is working..anyone else? ...

American Health Connection?
Feb 08, 2013

Does anyone have experience with them or did anyone find any info. on them?  I couldn't find much of anything.  Thanks. ...

American Health Connection
Apr 05, 2013

Is it just me or does the new American Health Connection ad look like others we have seen from another company...maybe Phonix MedComm? ...

Fluency Lose Connection With Anybody Else?
Sep 12, 2013

x ...

Losing Internet Connection For A Second
Dec 28, 2013

Has anyone recently started losing their internet connection for a split second while they are working?  This just started last week and only when I am typing in Fluency.  Is this happening to anyone else? ...

On The Road Satellite Connection?
May 27, 2015

Does anybody know if there are any companies that let you work from satellite or is that illegal now due to HIPAA? Years ago I looked into this and there was a tiny list of companies but it was dwindling so don't know now. Might be taking off in an RV and was wondering if anybody works that way with a satellite dish attached or some other method? Somebody that works like this wrote to me a long time ago and told me she has some little gadget she plugs into her computer and it provide ...

Transcription Connection, Anything Newer Than 2007? Nm
Sep 30, 2010

nm ...

Any Info On American Health Connection, Not Much In The
Mar 29, 2013

. ...

American Health Connection Review
Apr 03, 2013

American Health Connection has posted for staff/agent jobs on MTDaily and MT Stars.  They are very pleasant people with whom to work for sure.  The trend these days is to outsource hospital patient registration and companies such as this are taking off big time.  Having started training with them, I have had nothing but trouble...at first I was told my bandwidth was fine, only to learn that I needed 40-50 download speed and at least 10 upload speed.  Had to switch to a new provider, however, ...

I Show Lost Internet Connection
Apr 17, 2013

Obviously not me, anyone else? ...

Anyone Heard Of American Health Connection
Aug 29, 2013

I recently applied and interviewed with American Health Connection. It is not a transcription company but has remote home positions that work well with our MT knowledge base and sounds perfect for my tired hands after 20+ years. Has anyone had any exposure to this company? ...

Do Superior Global And Imedx Have Any Connection?
Apr 24, 2014

confused ...

Ahconn Or American Health Connection
Jan 15, 2015

American Health Connection or Ahconn has no business trying to recruit professional transcriptionists for their virtual call center.  That is all it is.  Furthermore, there are other problems, like your inability to care about these patients whom you engage, their problems are not your problems, so in the event they need your help and you can or try to help, they will reprimand you.  They are not clear on your duties until it is too late and your job is in jeopardy.  Manageme ...

American Health Connection - Be Aware
Feb 09, 2015

I was hired by American Health Connection as a patient scheduler. I was sent an offer letter which I signed and then an email came with several forms to complete. Once had to be notarized, so I mailed everything back priority rate. Then, another email came with more attachments. Within those attachments, was a training reimbursement agreement that I was required to sign that said that if I quit the job prior to 6 months on the job I would have to pay $2,500 to the company. I have never in my lif ...

Can No Longer Download Jobs Via Dial-up Connection
Jul 28, 2010

I have been working successfully for Softscript for the past 5 years via a dial-up internet connection.  Recently, I have been having trouble downloading jobs; i.e., I can't do it.  The tech person I have been working with there says that my computer is fine - it is just that dial-up is outdated - "no one expects anyone to have a dial-up connection any more". I don't understand how it can be working one day and not the next.  Anybody have any ideas, fixes, etc.  I ...

Medscribe Currently Accepts Satellite Internet Connection?
Aug 09, 2010

Does anyone know if Medscribe currently accepts satellite internet connection? Thanks! ...

Phoenix Medcom Or American Health Connection
Mar 28, 2013

Has anyone obtained a position and started working with either of these companies on their new positions for patient representatives, which is basically taking phone calls, setting appointments, checking insurance, etc.?  I am curious as to how it works out in the long run and if it is worth it.  Any information would be greatly appreciated - thanks! ...

American Health Connection - Remote Schedulers
Mar 17, 2014

Has anyone ever heard of this company and/or have any information about it?  Thanks! ...

Anyone Apply For American Health Connection As Posted On MT Jobs?
May 18, 2013

I have not yet. Any insights are appreciated. TIA. ...

What Are The Top 3 MT Schools? Nm
Jan 25, 2011

nm ...

OMg, I Wish These Med Schools
May 01, 2012

would teach these up-and-coming's and anyone who dictates, nurses, etc, how to pronounce words.  Just had an non-ESL pronounce auscultation -- "a-cuss-o-lation."  pleaseeeeeee.  ...

Does Anyone Know Who Does Own/run The Various MT Schools?
Jun 21, 2012

I was reading through the different comments below and now I'm curious about something. Does anyone know who actually owns and runs the various MT schools/programs/courses?  Do we also know how long they have owned/run them? ...

MT Online Schools
Apr 23, 2010

Hello im newly interested to getting certified as an MT and wanting to know about the Online schools that i can trust.   And if this career pays well and is worth getting into ???  Thanks for any input i do appreciate it. ...

Coding Schools - Where Did YOU Go?
Jun 01, 2010

Okay, here we go again.....if anyone has attended a coding school in the last year, is attending a coding school, could you please post your thoughts (was it worth the money, quality, etc)?  I know several people are still on the fence as to whether to pay the large sum to go to a private school (Andrews, DeVry) or attend community colleges in preparation to take their credentials in coding.  I've been reading posts saying the education from all is basically the same, of course it ...

Best Schools/expected Pay
Aug 26, 2010

so now what schools are the best (in Ohio)?  are the on-line schools comparable?  and what can i expect, as a "newbie" to be making once i land a job?  is it better to work for a MT company or be "in" the actual work environment.  hospitals vs doctors offfices, etc.  need all the info i can get.  thanks to everyone again. ...