A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Going to go to school for RHIT, does it matter if it is accredited through CHAIIM - PJ

Posted: Nov 13, 2014

I have gone through coding school.  I am not credentialed and it's been about 2-1/2 years since I finished school.  So, I am rusty in the guidelines and  thought just going for an Associates would be beneficial.  So, I wondered if it really matters if the school program is CHAIIM accredited, or if any AAS degree in Health Information program will be okay and then get the RHIT crendential.   

Thank you in advance greatly! :) 

CAHIIM accreditation - for RHIT

[ In Reply To ..]
You need to graduate from an AHIIMA CAHIIM accredited program in order to qualify for the RHIT. The RHIT has specific education requirements.

Thank you. - PJ

[ In Reply To ..]
I have seen some colleges who are not on the list of the CAHIIM with HIT programs, so that was one reason I was asking. I have found a CAHIIM-accredited one I am applying for. Thank you for the info! :)

CAHIIM - accreditation

[ In Reply To ..]
No problem. I happen to be an RHIT who does coding work.

Similar Messages:

At-Home Professions Is An Accredited School
Nov 10, 2009

I am a graduate of At-Home Professions, I graduated in 2006.  It is an accredited school.  After completion of the program which actually took about one year, because I was working full time and completing the online course at the same time.  I was impressed with the courses and the help/assistance I received upon completion of the course.  When I completed the course I applied at a local MT company and was picked up to work in-house for one year and then home to work.  I have been employed ...

Transam Assoc. & My So-called Accredited School
Sep 16, 2010

I have been reading through this site about good schools and also I found that there was information about Transam Associates.  As far as schools go, I graduated from Allied School of Medical and was told that they had companies lined up for their new grads because their program was so good!  They would assist you in finding a job and blah, blah, blah.  Only $2,970 and you can pay over a year or get funding.  They were accredited.  Well, within a month or so, my finances ...

About Accredited Schools - School Loans - And Oppressive Debt Resulting From Them
Jan 05, 2012

This past year I have read dozens of articles about "accredited" schools that are "approved for federal student loans", that enroll students, enticing them by offering financial aid, pressuring them to enroll even, calling them, e-maiing them, then, after they get them enrolled, not teaching them enough so they can get a job to repay those student loans. They keep them in the program long enough so that they get paid, giving the students "happy grades" so they don't get discouraged and quit ...

Thread About Accredited Colleges/Schools - School Loans - And Oppressive Debt Resulting From Them -
Jan 07, 2012

There's an interesting thread on the New MT board about accredited schools, school loans, and oppressive debt students are facing. I did a search today and there are dozens of articles talking about how students are thousands of dollars in debt for student loans when the education they got was so poor that they can't find a job at all. Others can find a job, but it will take 20-30 years for them to pay back the student loans.  They went to those schools because they got pressured ...

MTs With RHIT Please, And How To Pick A School?
Nov 15, 2012

Wow, I'm a little confused. I hope to train for coding for if/when my in-house transcription job dries up, so I asked around the hospital about whether I should get my RHIT. (Yes yes I know I can't go into full-fledged coding the day I get the RHIT. I want to be in position to help out in the transition to ICD-10.) Response was positive, and they suggested any program accredited by AHIMA. Doesn't this leave out Andrews? People on this site seem to like Andrews. My state has ...

Can You Take The RHIT Or CCS Having Just Finished Coding School?
Apr 01, 2010

I am thinking about taking a billing/coding class, but noticed that getting a job after that involved having the RHIT or CCS.  I am wonding if this will be a catch 22 and don't want to spend time in school for coding if I cannot pass these 2 tests when I am done, as it looks like I will not be able to get hired without these certificates.  Sorry about the confusion on this.  Thanks for your time and info. ...

Is It Gray Matter Or Grey Matter Pls
Feb 11, 2015

x ...

If A Program Is Not Accredited, Can You Still Take The
Mar 14, 2014

you can, is the certification the same as if you did take an accredited program, or is it considered less since you program was not accredited? ...

Accredited And Reputable Transcription Schools...
Apr 02, 2011

What is the best Online MT school?  I am currently doing alot of research on schools for MT and am finding that there are TONS of options and I am getting confused as to what is an isn't important.  I've been told to check accreditation on both the ahdionline.org website and the chea.org.  However, not all schools are listed on both sites... This may be a silly question, but does anyone have a certain school that they recommend?  Currently I have a Bachelors of Scie ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

How Do You Get Your RHIT? Also Does It Pay More?
Aug 05, 2010

How does one go about getting their RHIT after the coding certifications?  Are there classes and schooling involved?  or just the exam?  thanks in advance ...

Getting Out Of MT -- No Matter WHAT!
Feb 26, 2012

My 2-1/2-decade MT career is coming to an end. When I think back on how *HAPPY* I was back in the good ole days (late 80s into late 90s) as an MT and then contrast that with the picture now, it makes me want to cry.  We made GOOD money for someone without a degree, had GOOD benefits, and were at least somewhat appreciated back then.  In retrospect (hindsight is always 20/20), working conditions began going downhill when we became isolated from the physicians (as if we w ...

Should I Go For My RHIT Or
Sep 20, 2012

take a coding course? I cannot afford to do both at this time. I was also wondering if I were to go through HIM to get my RHIT if I could also get my CCS and CPC with just the HIM courses? I hope that makes sense. Thanks. ...

RHIT
Feb 12, 2013

Can anyone tell me if the RHIT degree is only useful for coding and billing?  What kind of jobs are available to an RHIT with an associates in applied science?  ...

Is This A Legal Matter?
Dec 26, 2009

I was hired full-time by a small company 3 months ago, offered 15.00 hr, just recently demoted because of a complaint of quality (which was very questionable), told they would pay me 5 cpl (woohoo) for production.  Now they are not supplying me with any work, let alone full-time work!  Dont they have an obligation to fire me, lay me off or supply me with work?  How can they do this?  I cant get unemployment if I'm employed, but my employer isnt supplying me with any work ...

RHIT Certification
Jan 05, 2010

Looking at college courses at the local community college, I figure I am two semesters away from an associates degree and ability to be RHIT certified.  Are you guys certified?  Is there online work for coding?  Is the pay decent?  In your opinion, is this a good move to make?  ...

Does It Matter If There Are 2 Spaces After A
Sep 08, 2010

this one of those fabulous things that is taken care of on the back-end?  That would save me a few strokes.  ...

Is RHIT Worth It?
Sep 13, 2010

The hospital where I live has 4 openings for coders, but they all require that you have an RHIT certification.  I know in order to have this you must have an AA degree.  How many of you have this and would it be better to have this rather than study at Andrews or Career Step? ...

Size DOES Matter, LOL!
Oct 03, 2010

"The patient's penis is cucumber sized," courtesy of ASR. Dictated as, "The patient's penis is circumcised."  Good one, ASR...at least I got a giggle out of THAT boo-boo! ...

CCS Without RHIT (Considering Andrews)
Feb 26, 2011

Coders: In a situation where a new graduate of a program has the CCS but not the RHIT, do you believe this would be an obstacle to finding employment? I notice some jobs say CCS or RHIT and some want both. I am weighing the pros and cons between attending a program that I know will prepare me to pass the CCS (Andrews) versus a program to earn a degree that will make me eligible to take the RHIT and, hopefully, pass the CCS. For background, I am a medical transcriptionist and also will graduate ...

Hey Vern. If What We Does Matter, Pay Us Like We
May 20, 2013

x ...

No Matter How Hard I Try, I Just Cannot Keep My Lph Up.
Jan 30, 2015

I'm surprised I haven't received performance management yet. I just cannot keep my line count up high enough since going to Fluency 7.6. This is too frustrating. Maybe I should copy a job into Word and see if the line count matches. Although, it could be because the ASR output has been so horrible and I am stopping 3x more to make corrections. I don't get why ASR outputs synonyms of what was said and alternative ways to phrase what was said, not to mention the downright w ...

Does It Even Matter Anymore?
Feb 18, 2015

https://www.kalibrr.com/advice/2015/02/top-4-reasons-why-good-employees-quit/     I'm sure it falls on deaf ears... I absolutely got the message that they don't care!   ...

S/l Coloso White Matter Changes
Nov 29, 2010

"There are no periventricular or (coloso) white matter changes".  TIA! ...

RHIT Courses/certification
Jul 06, 2011

Hi, I was wondering if anyone in the Chicago area would care to comment on the RHIT associates degree course at College of DuPage?  Does it prepare  you well for the RHIT certification exam?  Is it a good preparation for the RHIA program you later pursued (I am thinking of University of Illinois-Chicago)?  I am an 18-year transcription veteran hoping to become a coder and then possibly a Direction of HIM eventually.  ANY help would be much appreciated!  Thanks in Ad ...

No Matter How Many Keyboards I Try (and I Have A Stack Of 'em)
Jul 17, 2011

What's your favorite keyboard to use to transcribe?  My recent experiment, a multimedia Apevia, which by the way is a piece of junk!  But it was blue and pretty, so I bought it.  I am always trying to find a better keyboard, but none beat my Saitek!  Big letters, spacious keyboard (I have a bit of a wide hand), and lots of fun stuff like background lighting.  Oh, and my company blocks all install (.exe) so my work computer didn't even recognize it........NEXT ...

Terrified To Take The RHIT Exam
Feb 07, 2012

I got a degree in health information technology in 2007 by an AHIMA certified program. I did it after I got laid off from a transcription job and getting fed up, realizing I would be more marketable with the degree. I continued to work in QA at home and never took my RHIT because I was worried I'd fail and not get my money back for it. I feel like more doors would open up for jobs if I could get it. I wasn't very good with my coding classes and the statistics stuff plain old terrifies ...

RHIT Or Registered Nurse
Apr 15, 2012

Just wondering what the majority thinks about these career paths. It seems as though a lot of MTs are moving or considering a move  to the RHIT/RHIA world of especially medical coding. I am assuming that the lure of 'work at home' is pulling many in this direction, and I have actually seen where many are questioning whether medical coders are 'paid per code' or 'paid per case' or what? I asked myself what are these people thinking? Has anyone experienced this, ...

What Other Jobs Can Those With RHIT Credentials Do
Apr 26, 2012

Just curious what else RHIT's can do besides coding? ...