A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Transam Assoc. & my so-called accredited school - Mouse

Posted: Sep 16, 2010

I have been reading through this site about good schools and also I found that there was information about Transam Associates.  As far as schools go, I graduated from Allied School of Medical and was told that they had companies lined up for their new grads because their program was so good!  They would assist you in finding a job and blah, blah, blah.  Only $2,970 and you can pay over a year or get funding.  They were accredited.  Well, within a month or so, my finances went down, down, down, so I went online to find a federal grant that could help me with school.  When I called the school to get their accreditation number, I was told that they are NOT accredited for federal grants, but they are accredited!  The training I felt was ambiguous at best.  One practice transcription would have commas placed at every single preposition phrase and the next one would literally have no commas!  The grammar rules changed from transcription to transcription.  My final was the last straw with these people.  Throughout the entire 18 chapters with roughly 10-15 transcriptions per chapter, if the dictator said the name, etc. not allowed under HIPPA and would be scrubbed from the dictation, you would simply change to "the doctor" or "the patient."  On the final, which was a consultation note compiling 5-6 different doctor's reports, when the dictator stated the patient's name or the doctor's name (which was scrubbed), we were supposed to put underlined spaces to represent the missing names!  In no other place throughout the entire course were we supposed to put underlined spaces for this.  We were simply to change to "the doctor" or "the patient."  I did not pass this test because of this stupid change in rules!  These were the only errors I made, but, of course, this made 9 errors on a 3-page report.  I would absolutely NOT recommend this school!

As far as Transam Associates, I am confused.  I read all of the reports of this company being a scam, but they have a link on their research site to go to MT Stars.  If they were a scam and you could easily find out they were a scam, it would be pretty stupid to have this link.  I have paid my $500 for their software, so I guess I am out of luck.  Hopefully, they will have changed up their business practices and I will be able to work!  (I know, you probably have some land in Florida that you can sell me real cheap!!!)

Mouse, I am so sorry about your situation. As far as Transam Associates (sm) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
you should have googled them and you would find loads of ripoff reports, reports to the BBB and other complaints filed against this company. From what I understand anyone can have a link placed on their web page and it does not necessarily mean that that company or site is affiliated with that business.

Again, I am so sorry about your situation and I hope that everything works out for you!

TranSCAM - Anna

[ In Reply To ..]
DON'T DO IT!!! Do your research first. If you want to give money away, give it to some charity that helps needy people, don't give it to these folks.

Too late, she said she already did. - nm -

[ In Reply To ..]
zzz

Sorry you got sucked in by TransScam - sm - RCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I almost did years ago (2002) but got a job just when I was looking at them, and before I found out they were a scam. I was very hesitant to spend $400 on their software (until recently they only charged $400, so it was a shock to hear you paid $500 for a digital player you cannot use anywhere else), especially since ExpressScribe is free and works with just about all voice files out there. If you haven't been told by now you NEVER pay to work somewhere. Obviously leasing a computer or footpedal is one thing but buying software from them, NEVER. Some jobs require certains things yes, USB foot pedal, or a 9-Pin, or a C-phone, but that is all stuff you can easily re-sell or use for another job, certain version of Word, a spellchecker (a must anyway), and an expander program (another must). But again once you have them you can use them for all future employment. ---but the software TransAm sells is propietary to them and their "work". Often it won't work at all and then they play dumb saying it is not their product (though it is, use another company name to sell it under), and you never get your money back unless you put up one heck of a fight. Supposedly they send you files which you "practice" on, they then check them, but you are never quite good enough to move onto the next step and actually get work or get paid. My theory is that they do send you actual work, which in turn you end up doing for free (then all they have to do is proofread and edit accordingly), they string you along as long as they can before you wise up, realize you have been played and "quit". I know someone who did TransAm, and that is basically what happened with her, though after six months or so she finally "passed" and was given real work....did about 30 mins a day for a week or two which gradually tapered down to nothing. It was at that point she finally landed a job working where I did and I heard her story. Though she knows she got ripped off she was happy with the experience for the most part. She no longer does MT now, lasted about 2 years then said forget it. --- so if you have money to burn then try to use it to your advantage, you have already got suckered in and sent the money, so see what you can get out of it if anything, otherwise make some noise and try to get your money back. --Good luck.

Allied/Transam - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Being told that they had companies lined up for their new grads should have been your first clue that something was wrong. I'm not aware of any legitimate school, event the community colleges who make claims like that. Sometimes they'll give you the leads but the rest is up to you. As far as Transam, you should never have to pay an employer to use their software, they are supposed to purchase the license for you. It's too late so I hope that job works out. Just remember that if anything sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

Similar Messages:

At-Home Professions Is An Accredited School
Nov 10, 2009

I am a graduate of At-Home Professions, I graduated in 2006.  It is an accredited school.  After completion of the program which actually took about one year, because I was working full time and completing the online course at the same time.  I was impressed with the courses and the help/assistance I received upon completion of the course.  When I completed the course I applied at a local MT company and was picked up to work in-house for one year and then home to work.  I have been employed ...

Going To Go To School For RHIT, Does It Matter If It Is Accredited Through CHAIIM
Nov 13, 2014

I have gone through coding school.  I am not credentialed and it's been about 2-1/2 years since I finished school.  So, I am rusty in the guidelines and  thought just going for an Associates would be beneficial.  So, I wondered if it really matters if the school program is CHAIIM accredited, or if any AAS degree in Health Information program will be okay and then get the RHIT crendential.      Thank you in advance greatly! :)  ...

About Accredited Schools - School Loans - And Oppressive Debt Resulting From Them
Jan 05, 2012

This past year I have read dozens of articles about "accredited" schools that are "approved for federal student loans", that enroll students, enticing them by offering financial aid, pressuring them to enroll even, calling them, e-maiing them, then, after they get them enrolled, not teaching them enough so they can get a job to repay those student loans. They keep them in the program long enough so that they get paid, giving the students "happy grades" so they don't get discouraged and quit ...

Thread About Accredited Colleges/Schools - School Loans - And Oppressive Debt Resulting From Them -
Jan 07, 2012

There's an interesting thread on the New MT board about accredited schools, school loans, and oppressive debt students are facing. I did a search today and there are dozens of articles talking about how students are thousands of dollars in debt for student loans when the education they got was so poor that they can't find a job at all. Others can find a job, but it will take 20-30 years for them to pay back the student loans.  They went to those schools because they got pressured ...

S/L EMCET Was Called; Patient Was In PEA. MSET? M CET? Team Was Called
Oct 02, 2012

xx ...

If A Program Is Not Accredited, Can You Still Take The
Mar 14, 2014

you can, is the certification the same as if you did take an accredited program, or is it considered less since you program was not accredited? ...

Accredited And Reputable Transcription Schools...
Apr 02, 2011

What is the best Online MT school?  I am currently doing alot of research on schools for MT and am finding that there are TONS of options and I am getting confused as to what is an isn't important.  I've been told to check accreditation on both the ahdionline.org website and the chea.org.  However, not all schools are listed on both sites... This may be a silly question, but does anyone have a certain school that they recommend?  Currently I have a Bachelors of Scie ...

Transam Associates?
Dec 22, 2009

Has anyone heard of Transam Associates?  Is this a reliable company to work for? Thanks, Aim ...

Anyone Know Anything About Transam Associates?
Mar 04, 2010

Has anyone heard of Transam Associates?  I am a recent grad from Brighton College and I'm afraid to invest more money in their software program.  Their software they use is MT Professional.  After their training I am promised real work with them once I have achieved accuracy in their training program.  Just wondering if anyone knows about them and if it would be worth it. Thank you in advance for your help. ...

Has Anybody Heard Of Transam
Sep 15, 2010

has anyboby heard of transam i applied through hotjobs. ...

TransAm (better Known As Transcam)
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know what is going on with TransAm? I read their agreement and seems a little confusing. ...

Anyone Hear Of Transam Associates?
Oct 31, 2009

A friend was sent an email by them (she had a resume posted on a job site). ...

Transam Associates - Any Info?
Jan 06, 2010

Does anyone know about the above company and their software pgrm? Thank you in advance. ...

Has Anyone Heard Of Transam Associates?
Feb 18, 2010

Has anyone heard of Transam Associates? Good? Bad?? I have 3 years of cardiology office transcription experience, but no formal training, so i have been having a hard time getting off of QA at other places. Thanks in advance ...

Does Anyone Have Any Info On Transam Associates?
Mar 04, 2010

Has anyone heard of Transam Associates?  I am a recent grad from Brighton College and I am afraid to invest more money into Transam's software program.  The software they use is MT Professional.  Just wondering if after going through their training program would it be worth it.  They promise work through them after the training results in accurate work.  Thank you in advance for your help. ...

TransAm Associates, Valrico, FL
Aug 23, 2013

Does anybody know anything about TransAm Associates in Valrico, FL.  I've heard many different things, good and bad, but have found out after working for them that they simply do not have enough work to go around.  Sometimes I will have a lot of work and actually make a good buck, but then the rest of the month (yep paid once a month) - is so bleak and in "feast or famine" mode, may only see two to four jobs per day, thus negating all the earnings I made earlier in the month!  ...

Transam Associates/MT Professional Software
Mar 30, 2010

Has anyone worked for Transam associates out of Florida.  They claim they train and have work available consistently but you have to buy the MT Professional software.  I have been transcribing for three years and am an IC for another firm but was looking into hiring on with this company.  Anyone have any news?  I was a bit suspicious.  ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

What Is That Called?
Dec 08, 2009

When they rub your sternum with knuckles?   Doc says . . . No response to s/l noxic stimuli. ...

Has Anyone Every Heard Of A Lab Called A BVV?
Nov 20, 2009

This is an NP dictating on a pt newly placed on Coumadin for DVT. ...

My CCM Just Called. I Just Got Audited.
Jun 15, 2011

I hope this post quells some tempers and fears.  Obviously there are a lot of audits going on.  I got the call and my CCM said "just wanted to let you know that you are going great.  You were audited and are right where you need to be with quality and are above production level".  She said thank you very much and that she appreciated my hard work.  I asked her if she ever frequented this board, she said yes.  I told her about the firing posts and she said that peo ...

Patient Called 9-1-1 Or 911?
Mar 25, 2011

So-called Testing
Jan 29, 2012

Let me see if I got this right. You send me a few voice files.  You send me a few templates.  You send NO other instructions whatsoever.  I wing it, based on my years of experience and common sense.  The fact that I left out a blurb the speaker "always" wants in there (but never dictated) causes me to fail your so-called test? A blessing in disguise I think.  You should add "needs to be a mind reader" in your job post. ...

My Son Called Me Last Night
Jul 09, 2012

coming to a Holiday Inn where he lives. He said they advertised "Medical Transcription jobs - earn $40,000 a year!"  He thought I could use a good laugh. Thanks, son. ...

TTT-Anyone Called Back?
Sep 30, 2012

Anyone here called to work again for TTT? If so, are you chosing to upgrade your own PC or buy one from the company?   ...

New Radiology Ccm Or Whatever They Are Called Now
Oct 19, 2012

okay, since they fired our old manager and this new person took over, i spend more time out of work than i do working...also, the ONLY reports i get now are over 2 minutes long (in case you didn't know, radiology is paid by report)...i used to be able to bust my butt, but make a decent living...in the past two weeks, my pay has dropped by about 45% due to lack of work and distribution of reports....all since this mangament change...i don't know if she is giving them all to her old team ...

Anyone Ever Hear From Their CCM Or Whatever They Are Called Now
Feb 06, 2013

Got a new one, my 4th in a year btw, and the last one I heard from every day, at least 10 times a day with calls, e mails, etc.  This one started probably 2 weeks ago, haven't had a call from her to introduce herself, no e mail, no reply to my e mail...nothing. It is either feast or famine I guess.  I just hope when it is time for vacay,I hear from her but if I don't, guess she won't miss me when I'm gone ...

Nuance Called Me!!
Nov 12, 2014

Nuance actually called me out of the blue today regarding a job...I have heard A LOT of miserable things about them...do they still ring true?? ...