A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Today is my first day back working since the news, and ... - anon

Posted: Mar 10, 2014

I took the entire weekend in silence and did a lot of thinking, and made some decisions. 

One thing that I know for sure about myself is that this bankruptcy issue is the END for me.  I've felt the end was coming, with the 99.6% requirement, and then even more so with the 99.7% requirement, but working for a company who requires more of ME than it does of ITSELF is a complete deal-breaker.  I won't work for a company that doesn't pay its bills - because that puts us ALL wide open to not being paid ourselves.  It doesn't matter *which* type of bankruptcy they filed - companies that are healthy and viable don't file bankruptcy of either kind.   We all have different levels of tolerance and all of these things combined have made this an intolerable work situation for me.  It should be intolerable for ALL of us.  If this were happening to a dear friend, what would you tell them?  Well right now I'm being my own dear friend.

The other thing I decided is, to leave this field altogether.  I've done transcription my entire career life - I've worked for MM/MQ for 16 years.  It's all I know ... but that's what makes me perfect for the medical field.  So this week will be the first time I step foot on the college up the street to find out about the medical programs they offer and I'm going to start the ball rolling to get out of this insanity.  Staying in transcription would only mean that those who are left will be jumping from company to company only to find out they are all the same - they are all insane and they all pay the same pay.  Jumping ship to ship isn't good enough for me in order to finish out my career life so I'm taking my skills getting out - into something more stable.

Finally, the bankruptcy filing changes another element for me.  In my mind, MM is now on the discount shelf for what it CAN and CAN'T require of my work.  As far as I'm concerned, MM can no longer require 99.7% quality work from me because they won't get it.  A company that can't pay its bills is not going to get Superhuman quality from me and they shouldn't from you, either.  My personal work ethic dictates that I will do my very best work, just like I always have, because that's what I require of myself.  I will continue to take REASONABLE CARE to produce work according to the Client Profile and the standards of transcription, but no longer will I lose sleep over the ridiculous weekly/monthly audits, having my work nitpicked with inconsistent standards, etc.   I will glance over the audits as they come but the days of obsessing are gone.  Until I leave, I will do my best and no more than that. 

I hope the rest of you have had a chance to formulate a plan also.  I'm a single mom and this is my only form of income into the house so I don't take this situation, or my decisions, lightly.  Yes, this is a *seriously* scary move for me because a lot rides on making good choices but one thing I do know about myself is once I'm done, I'm done.  No one ... absolutely NONE of us should tolerate working for a bankrupt company.  NONE of us.  If you haven't already done so, I suggest taking a long look inside yourselves to figure out a next step.  Only YOU know what that looks like for yourself.  But don't just figure out a plan, put it all down on paper and begin taking action on it because the clock is ticking and at some point, this company's house of cards is going to start tumbling and when it does, the fall out will be bad.  Those of you hoping to stay in the industry think the job market is bad now, when (not if) this company goes under, the flood of thousands employees jumping to other companies means there won't be jobs ANYwhere. 

Good luck, everyone.  I hope you see this as the final straw - you all deserve better.  MUCH better. 

Brava! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

to anon - OldestMT

[ In Reply To ..]
You write so well. Have you ever considered doing something with that skill. Good luck to you. I am out of MT now as well, but I am older and do not have children depending on me. God Bless you.

Congrats, totally agree - jj

[ In Reply To ..]
I decided the same thing and quit a month ago. I looked at friends who had been jumping from 1 company to another, only to end back with the same company (either here or Nuance). I have tried 5 companies over the past 20 years. In the last 10, all of the conditions were bad, and this profession continues to decline. I just finished coding, which I learned and also worked full time, and just got my first job. I know some are afraid it will end up the same, but I just have 10 more years to go and hope it will last that long, and I can tell you it is night and day how we are treated and our pay. I also used to do book keeping and took a class to update my skills and have a side job doing this part time. In this economy, it pays to have several skills and helps my resume. It was really hard to break free of these MTSO's and I just want to encourage everyone that there is a great life outside MT, whichever field you choose. I have a friend who got out of MT and learned Excel and is currently working temp jobs. One of her temp jobs really liked her and is currently offering her a permanent position, so this is another avenue to find work. Good luck to all!

Couple thoughts... - A_Non_MModal_MT

[ In Reply To ..]
First, I noted you've been with the same company for many, many years, and wanted to point out that I personally know of far better MTSOs to work than MModal, and they are NOT all the same. On this board, yes, many people paint everything with the same brush stroke and tend to lump everything together, but I know of several far better companies out there, and surely it's not fair to paint them as all the same. In fact, when I look back through the years, the posters on this site almost always seemed negative, even during what were now the "glory years."

Second, lots and lots of businesses go through debt reorganization and come through it better than before, so for me that's not a huge issue. If you dislike them (and sounds like they are hideous to work for), then good for you to finally leave them, but there could and should be a big shakeup at MModal and possibly improvements.

Third, just out of curiosity, why is this a bridge too far, but being caught committing fraud (as MedQuist) and having to "settle" was okay for you?

BK is not a big deal for a company - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The holier than though attitude kills me. Many companies file BK to restructure. If you are leaving, good for you. I hope you find the great company that you are looking for.

It's not "holier than thou" to expect your employer - to pay their bills

[ In Reply To ..]
Not a big deal? Wow. Maybe it's just a difference in our levels of morality but when a company amasses a mammoth *$750 MILLION* in debt and then expects not to pay it and calls it "restructuring", maybe you don't consider that a "big deal", but some of us consider it unthinkable.
come out of the rabbit hole alice - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
n
I have to shake my head at the pleasure - some people seem to be taking from this
[ In Reply To ..]
You realize that people may lose their jobs right? Does that make you feel happy?

I don't care if they don't pay that $750 mil, in fact, I hope they don't. I would rather feed my kids than sit in judgement of others.
I'm not sure who you're asking, but ... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
If you're asking the original poster, no it doesn't make me happy one bit that people may lose their jobs. I've been saying all along since I first heard the news that I think a big layoff is going to be unavoidable in all this. In other industries, "restructuring" almost always includes a major cost-cutting reduction of the work force.

I think anyone who isn't RIGHT NOW coming up with a plan and making a move to protect themselves is an absolute fool because when the layoffs come, it will be swift and it will be sudden.

Stolen money - exMT

[ In Reply To ..]
So I guess the money they and the association stole from us hard working MTs a few years back didn't pad their pockets enough. Smh...

Similar Messages:

Good News! Smartype Is Back!
Feb 18, 2012

I'm so happy there is a new version of Smartype that has been released. It now works with newer versions of Word, i.e. Word 2007 and 2010 and works with other software including Outlook. It's even better than the original. I was using the old version of Smartype even though it had glitches when working with Word 2003. You can try it before you buy it, a definite plus. I highly recommend downloading this software. To me, it is a must for the medical transcriptionist to boost productivit ...

The Following News Just Released Today About WMX.
Sep 04, 2010

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/199845.php ...

Nuance In The News Today
Oct 20, 2014

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nuance-and-eclinicalworks-support-ama-guidelines-with-new-voice-enabled-mobile-apps-2014-10-20?reflink=MW_news_stmp ...

Check It Out-Fox News Is Having A Special At 2:30 EST Today About
Sep 27, 2011

the government having access to our medical records and how they shouldn't have that right to our personal information and that it is confidential according to HIPPA, also stating what if Wikileaks or somebody exposes the information and what that could mean.  DUH-what about all the records that go to India, what about HIPPA regulations for that, what about confidentiality on that, what about illegal on that, what about loss of US jobs on that!  I think it is time to write to Bill ...

Internet News Of Bring Back Made In America
May 14, 2011

We are all now looking for products to promote USA jobs as we are all suffering greatly, and especially in this job and with the services.  Maybe those who claim they do not Offshore should have a line that says TIA--Typed In America.    ...

Any News As To What The Spheris Conference Calls Are About Today?
Mar 11, 2010

anyone had theirs yet?   ...

Any News, Good Or Bad, About Working For Proscript
Jul 19, 2012

. ...

Email Working Today? Silent Today.
Feb 25, 2015

By this time in the day, usually, there has been at least 7 emails - several from QA, at least 2-3 backlog updates, and 1 reminder to work our shift and work our entire shift. ...

ABC News Tomorrow Night...call Centers Coming Back
Feb 22, 2012

Tomorrow night on ABC news they will be doing a special about call center jobs  coming back to America and people making $14 an hour, leaving outsourcing centers because America is 3.5 times more productive.  Tonight they did a segment about a light bulb company coming back from China to Detroit because its cheaper now with the Obama cutting corporate taxes for keeping jobs in America and there was a segment about EMR company that was in Bangladore or wherever coming back to America an ...

Going Back To Work Today!
Nov 13, 2012

After a very rough year and being without a job for more than 6 months of this year, I am starting my new job this morning.  I consider myself very blessed.  Wish me luck!  Thanks. ...

Who Is Back To School Today And What Are You Taking?
Jan 06, 2014

Back to school today, last semester before I transfer to University.     I am taking Western Civ I and II American National Government  Macroeconomics    How about you? ...

Anyone Working Today?
Jan 02, 2012

I was expecting low work today, but this is crazy! (North Region). Well, cleaning my bathroom and packing away Christmas sweatshirts, etc, so maybe I'll get something done here anyway! ...

So I'm Working On A Job Today...
Mar 30, 2013

and something the doctor is saying isn't quite clear so I check a sample to see if I can get a little clarification, and I could not believe my eyes.  Now I know the QC says there are mistakes in these samples sometimes so beware, but...nothing could prepare me for this mess.  This note was just littered with errors.  These were errors that I didn't even need to hear the dictation in order to catch, the biggest of which was "the patient's eyes and nose data was...". ...

For Those Working Today
Apr 26, 2015

Have you also been told you must work an extra hour today?  How long is this going to continue?  Has anyone been told why this his happening?  Have you been bugged by email if you skipped working the mandated extra hour?  Can we be fired if we refuse?  I wish so much I could just quit right now.  I might anyway. ...

“exciting” News In The Link Today
May 15, 2014

Hasn’t anyone read their emails and seen the “exciting” news in the Link today??  “….new compensation structure to be simple to understand, transparent, competitive, to be effective around 10/1….”  Translate:Simple to understand = unable to be calculated by MT Transparent = we all make the same regardless of experience Competitive = MTSOs battle each other to pay the lowest rates Sounds like another pay cut is in the work ...

Just Had A Baby And Trying To Get Back To Working...impossible!
Dec 23, 2009

I just had a baby 6 weeks ago and I am trying to start back working which I am finding impossible.  I posted about this before I had my baby and a lot of you said that it was possible to work with a newborn......How!?  I am so stressed out because I need to start back working because we need the money but everytime I try to she starts crying or needs something.  For those of you who have experience with this, how did you work with a newborn in the house?  Please any tips and ...

Today Working On EBTXT Has Been Better Than The
Mar 26, 2013

practice job yesterday.  At least all of my hair is still intact, lol.  It does get easier as I go and, hopefully, will become second nature. ...

Working Imedx Today
May 10, 2015

working imedx today.  what do you mean poof, gone?  I am in midwest. ...

Looks Like I Won't Be Working Again Today. I Was Asked Last Year (sm)
Jan 25, 2013

to change my Friday hours to later in the morning because that is when my accts had more work.  Yeah, right.  I seem to be getting the little work that I do get in the early morning hours and then the work dries up.  I just went to sign on an hour ago and nothing AGAIN.  I can't work tonight and I can't work after my normal shift tomorrow, which by the way I have run out of work the past few Saturdays which never ever used to happen not even during the holidays!!&nb ...

Anyone Working For Keystrokes Get Paid Today? Nm
Feb 04, 2013

. ...

I Wish Shaw Could Be Working My Shift Today.
Aug 29, 2013

I have worked so hard all day, have next to nil inactive time, and still, barely the minimum line count. I would especially like him to do the last report with the horrible scratchy sound with the doctor alternatively blasting out my ears and not talking into the phone, and the horrible output. Ha, ha - spend a day in our shoes. What a challenge :) I doubt he is up for the challenge, though. ...

Transolutions--applied And Tested--no News Good News? Anyone Else Heard? Nm
Mar 10, 2011

nm ...

Does Anyone Ever Hear Back Anymore From Jobs Posted? In The Past I Always Heard Back Even If I Was N
Dec 10, 2012

Are Timesheets Approved Today? Nothing From TSM On Monday Or Today. NM
Jan 01, 2014

xx ...

Back To Work After Back Surgery
Aug 23, 2012

Hello, I would like to transcribe from home again. However, I HAVE to get up and walk for a few minutes at least once an hour. You see, I had to have 2 back surgeries in the last 18 months. I've been a transcriptionist for many years and this is my profession. Does anyone have a suggestion what to tell these companies that will hire you to work from home when you have to get up so much? The last company I tried had a "pop-up" box that appeared on my screen if you were up longer than 10 min ...

Big ASR News
Jan 27, 2010

I opened a ticket yesterday for ASR, asking them to have H and H expand out to hemoglobin and hematocrit for my account, and less than 24 hours I got a message saying it was done! Unbelievable.    Seems crazy we would all have to do this, but if we all do this, maybe some positive change could actually come.    I gave them the account, an internal job number, and my contact number and just stated what the problem was.  My understanding is this was corrected for this ...

More Bad News For MQ MT/MEs
Jan 29, 2010

I got the below link from my MQ Google Alert.  If Speris tanks, there's gonna be a ton of MQs scrambling for jobs.  I'm sure the Q will see this as the perfect opportunity to cut our salaries again as we fear for our jobs. http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2010/02/01/story1.html?b=1265000400%5E2811471 ...

I've Got News For Everyone
Jul 10, 2011

Most of the companies are paying 8 cpl for transcription and 4 cpl for editing.  MQ is not going to stop until they reach that rate even though they may do it gradually as they have been doing. ...

ST MTs, Any News Yet??
Jun 07, 2012

Has anyone heard anything further about the work (or lack of) situation?  Was really low this pay period. ...

CCS News
Sep 02, 2012

Check out the new eligibility requirements for sitting for the CCS that will go into effect on January 1, 2013.  No longer just a high school diploma.  : http://www.ahima.org/downloads/pdfs/certification/Candidate_Guide.pdf   ...