A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

who is back to school today and what are you taking? - Social Work Major here

Posted: Jan 06, 2014

Back to school today, last semester before I transfer to University.  

I am taking

Western Civ I and II

American National Government 

Macroeconomics 

How about you?

Senior in college this semester!! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 2 more weeks until semester starts, but I am taking:

Spanish 2 (language requirement)
Capstone
Public policy
Nonprofit/public administration

2 semesters to go, 19.5 units this semester.

Internship for 80 hours.

Major ranges from social work to community health, focusing on aging and elder issues.

that's awesome! Best of luck to you! - :)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Veterinary Technician - Whoo hoo!

[ In Reply To ..]
I am taking A&P 1 (animal), computers and Introduction to Veterinary Technology.

I cannot wait to finish. My program is self-paced so I am hoping I will just keep plugging away slow and steady. :)

I want to go into vet tech too - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
But my schedule rots and I cannot learn on line..I hate it here. Biding my time for now wishing I would get laid off so I can collect U/E and go back to school.

I looked into that but doesn't pay enough $$$ in my area - :(

[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck!

I am lucky - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a retirement from a real job, this supplements my income. Money not so important, but would really like to do something I enjoy again before I retire. Used to LOVE this job, not so much anymore

Similar Messages:

MTs Going Back To School: Taking A Poll
Apr 15, 2013

There are a lot of posts on this board with MTs stating they are going back to school for various things.  I'm headed in that direction myself and would love to know what you are going back to school for and what school (online, community college, etc.), and any other information you would like to share.  Thank you in advance for the inspiration!  ...

Thank You To The Goofs Taking Off Today
May 01, 2012

Not sure if it's your "fault" or not, but I'm grateful to have already gotten 1500 lines in and not run out of work!  I think your plan was successful so maybe you should resign :D Back to the keyboard, I LOVE making money! ...

Is 40 Too Old To Go Back To School?
Feb 02, 2010

Being an MT is not paying my bills.  I am thinking about going back to school, but I am 40 and it has been so long since I was in high school.  I have to google to help my son with his 4th grade homework let alone do college math. AND it will be 2 to 4 years before I will get a good job.  I am leaning towards radiology tech, lab tech, or maybe nursing.  Can't  decide just yet but I know that EMR isn't going to be taking those jobs away!!!  Any advice ...

To Those Back In School
Mar 01, 2010

How are you adjusting?  Today is my first day and I want to pull my hair out, lol!  I know I need to give myself a chance to adjust, but i'm the type I want to learn quickly so I don't stress over it or feel incompetent.  I'm just rusty I guess, I hope I get into the groove of things, maybe get to the point where I enjoy it.  Just wondering how you all are doing with the school or profession change.  I've been an MT so long I feel like i'm c ...

Anyone Going Back To School
May 04, 2010

How do you get a loan to help pay bills while in school?  I'm in the middle of a FAFSA loan for fall semester, but she told me it is for school only.  Someone said they were using part of it to supplement the household income?  What kind of loan would that be?  TIA ...

BACK TO SCHOOL
Jul 12, 2010

Like so many others at MQ and everywhere, I went back to school, spent 4 1/2 years and $40 K+.  That was 1 1/2 years ago.  I cannot get a job teaching nor subbing, not even in a clerical capacity.  Student loan has come due and I'm back to struggling here at Q, making hardly enough to pay bills, much less take on the $350 a month student loan payment.  I got a degree in education and in our city there are now problems in the major district, citing crooked administration ...

Who Is Going Back To School....
Sep 18, 2010

Just wondering who is going back to school, or planning to, and what you are studying. ...

Going Back To School?
Apr 20, 2011

I am almost 51.  I have been in this profession as well as many other aspects from receptionist to office manager. I was doing transcription when it was considered "just typist".  I have taken so many classes, for my own benefit of course, on terminology, anatomy, etc., and of course they were not count toward a degree because hey were all continuing ed courses. I wonder if it stupid for me to go back to school.  Problem is, I could do most managemen ...

Going Back To School
Nov 08, 2011

I was totally inspired by someone who posted yesterday on the "main board" who is 52 years old and based on their loss of income from the transcription field, managed to qualify for a full grant to go back to school.  This person had earned one degree and was working on the next in order to get out of transcription.  I thought, if this person can qualify for a full grant I know I can too since I'm a single mom sometimes not even earning minimum wage with Medquist.  So this morning, I ...

Going Back To School.
Sep 07, 2012

I have decided to go back to school to get an Associates degree. At this point I just cannot take the low pay anymore. I was wondering how others are doing who have decided to go back to school. When I get my degree I will be 51. ...

For Those Of You Who Have Gone Back To School
Sep 06, 2013

How did you support yourself/family while you were in school?  I sooooooo want to go back to school, but I'm a single parent, sole provide for my child and myself, and there's just no possible way for me to go to school and work.  I live in a very rural area so my commute to school would be about 45 minutes one way, there all day for school, home to pick up my child from school and then when would I have time to work and study?  I am barely making it financially now as i ...

For Those Of You Going Back To School
Oct 19, 2013

I'm just curious what you are all going back for?  I just made a huge decision in my life and have decided to go back to college and get my bachelor's degree in public health and then my master's degree.  I have my associates, so I'm hoping I will be all done within 4 years and being an MT will just be a distant memory! ...

Thinking Of Going Back To School Sm
Dec 02, 2009

I've been a transcriptionist for 15 years, mainly radiology.  I've enjoyed being home with my two boys while they are growing up.  They are still young, 11 and 7.  But lately I've been thinking about going back to school for either nursing or radiology technologist.  I've even visited one of the schools to talk about what prereq's I'd need to take.  I won't be able to take the actual program until probably 2011.  My dilema is I rea ...

Going Back To School - Advice?
Dec 10, 2009

I have decided to call it quits with MT - I am 55 years old, and even if things turn around in the future it will not be in time for me. I only have a few college credits, and would love to go for ultrasound but there is a 2-3 year waiting period, and I would have to get an associate's degree in addition to ultrasound certification. Am I too old?  Any suggestions?  TIA ...

OK, I'm Going Back To School In An Effort To Get Out Of The MT
Mar 26, 2010

tar pits.  I've narrowed my choices to Physical Therapy Assistant, Radiology Tech or leaving healthcare all together and becoming a Paralegal.  I though about nursing school, but in the end ruled it out as my sister has been a nurse for 25 years or so and stopped enjoying her job about 20 years ago.  She says it's all paperwork and covering everyone's behind more than it is taking care of the patient.  Plus she's just not happy in her work. I ruled out la ...

Thinking Of Going Back To School
Aug 04, 2010

While the MT jobs are slowly going overseas and I know that my time at the Q is limited, I was thinking of going back to school to become an occupational therapy assistant.  Is there anybody with experience in this field?  How's the pay? ...

For Those Of You Going Back To School, What's Your Major?
Sep 29, 2010

I'm majoring in Information technology and specializing in health informatics but I'm curious to know what other areas people are going into at school after job loss. What are you going to school for? ...

Anyone Here Going Back To School Online
Oct 21, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here is going back to school for something else, but taking classes online.  I need to find a good online school as we only have one vehicle and my husband is using it to commute back and forth to work in another city.  If you are going back to school, what are you going for? Thanks ...

I Feel Like I'm Too Old To Go Back To School
May 08, 2013

I'm 36 years old.  Yes, still somewhat young.  I need/want to get out of MTing.  My dream is to work in clinical psychology, which requires a master's degree.  I already have an Associate's degree.  So, if I go back to school it would take me about 5 years to reach my dream.  This would make me 42.  When I think of getting my first job in the pyschology field at 42, sometimes I think that would be too old or I would be going up against 20 somethi ...

Back In School With A Question
Aug 08, 2013

I'm going back to school this semester. I took English 1101 and 1102 back in the late 90s, but sadly I don't remember how to write papers in the correct formats. Do you think I should retake these classes? English is my favorite subject, and while I'm glad I took these classes and passed them, I really wouldn't mind taking them again so I can brush up on my paper writing and research paper skills. What do you think? Another option would be not retaking the classes, but having ...

I Want To Go Back To School For Psychology, But
Sep 30, 2013

I've read on the internet that a bachelor's degree in psychology doesn't get you too far.  There are a lot of jobs in my area (Boston) that require a bachelor's in psychology, mostly in social work/human services, which is what I want to do.  Anyone here have a psychology degree or any advice?  ...

If I Ever Had Any Doubt About Going Back To School
Nov 12, 2013

I have been helping my husband finish up his degree online for the last year or so and told him when he is done next month I am going back and finishing up my degree. I know everyone says have a plan, or be prepared but since my husband makes more money and actually has potential for a promotion his schooling was top priority and I have been just praying that my job lasted long enough to get him through. So yesterday I got all my transcripts together, filled out the application and set up ...

Anyone Went Back To School To Be A Nurse Or Rad Tech?
Dec 11, 2009

I need to find a real job with benefits and insurance so I am thinking about going to school to be a LPN or radiology tech.  Anyone done either of these?  Did you feel like your MT background helped in the courses?  I am 40 so I will have to take all that math and english before I can do anything.  Any advice.....?  Thanks ...

Decision To Go Back To School For Nursing?
Mar 02, 2010

Has anyone made the decision to go back to school for nursing?  I am 45 years old and am seriously considering going to school this fall.  I would be starting from scratch as I have no college education.  I am debating on whether to pursue an associates (RN) or bachelors degree (BSN).  I am wondering if anyone else near my age is doing this and how are they faring.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  ...

Embarrasing Question About Going Back To School
Feb 03, 2015

I'm going back to school in May to study coding at my local junior college. Some of the classes are online and some are classroom. The last time I attended school we took notes with a pen and notebook.  If I take a pen and nootbook, will I be the only one in class doing so? Do I need to get what they now refer to as a "tablet" even though I'm not sure what one is? ...

MT Going Back To School. What Field Of Study Would You Pursue M
Feb 22, 2010

in this day and age?  Because of a chronic illness, being a WAHM MT is perfect for me.  Given the current state of things, I feel I may need to return to school and have a backup plan.  Looking for suggestions, insight, thoughts on what you think might be a good avenue to pursue if you had to choose something that isn't physical (like no nursing) but something our MT background might help with.   Hope this is the right place to ask this! ...

Thinking About Going Back To School For Health Informatics
Aug 19, 2011

None of the colleges in an hour's radius of me offer this program.  Can this be done online and if so, has anybody done it? ...

Is It Worth It To Go Back To School And Accumulate Tons Of
Sep 26, 2013

I really, really, really want to go back to school.  Problem is, I'm a single parent living on my one income which is going down pretty much every month.  Being an MT just isn't working anymore.  I want to go back to school, but in order to do that, I would need to take out some serious student loans just to help me pay my bills, let alone pay the school debt.  I have an AA degree already, so I think it would take me about 2 more years to get my bachelor's degr ...

Going Back To School And Getting Certified As A Medical Assistant
Mar 24, 2014

I have been in the field of Education for 23 yrs and have been an Administrator for the past 13. Due to the economy,  schools would rather hire those with no experience and pay them less than seasoned veterans like myself. I have 2 in college and a 10yr old I adopted at birth so I am far from retirement. I am considering going back to school and getting certified as a Medical Assistant (which would include Phlebotomy and X-ray tech) and Medical Billing/Coding or Transcription. I am currently un ...

Advice Needed For MT Career Or Going Back To School...pls Read!
Nov 20, 2009

Hello! I'm hoping to get some good, sound advice about whether I should persue a career in med trans, or go back to school to finish my degree. I'm almost finished with MT school (MTEC) and plan to test/look for job(s) around February/March 2010. My boyfriend's income is our primary source of income, any I would make would be supplemental. I've been reading A LOT (perhaps too much) lately about the difficulty/hardships MTs have in making a decent living just doing MT. I ...