A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Please read and Pass On--I put it on Facebook - Lee

Posted: Oct 09, 2012

Please Read and Pass On about this terrible, sneaky, little secret that most people do not know. Thank you for reading, as I know this is long, and I am putting my job in jeopardy by giving this information, but I feel that Americans need to know that this is dangerously and secretly happening to them. We, MT’s, across the country, have been talking and have decided to tell people what is happening to all of us and our medical information. We are in fear of what is happening and are trying to make others aware of it. When you go to the doctor for anything, a report is dictated by the doctor, whether an office visit, physical, labs, procedure, surgery, psych, ER, chemotherapy,â€Â¦everything. Did you know that most of your personal information that you give when you go to the doctor is given to people in India to transcribe in your medical reports (hospitals are the biggest offenders). India is NOT bound by the HIPPA law (the law to protect your private info), and they can release your information and not be legally charged, (It has happened in the past with a disgruntled worker releasing info of AIDs patients). We transcriptionists, in the U.S., ARE bound legally to this law. This info is not only your medical info, but can also be your name, address, and SS#. The reports that come back from India contain horrendous errors, and if not caught by the doctor, can be life-threatening. We need to start emailing our doctors and local hospitals to see who does their transcription. Most have in-house transcriptionists, but not enough, so they send the majority of reports to a secondary service company to transcribe (at a very cheap rate..sort of a sweat-shop technology). Most of these secondary companies DO outsource your info to India. I do believe that a lot of hospitals do not even realize this. These secondary companies represent themselves as a U.S. company by having an office located within the U.S. and overseen by a “suit” (what we call a U.S. employee representing the company), but they are owned and operated by India. Recently, India-owned companies are buying out the smaller transcription companies, as they cannot compete with the low costs offered to the hospitals by India. They are really taking over this market in our country. Besides personal info being in danger, almost all transcriptionists in the U.S. have taken up to a two-third pay cut in the last few years, most making minimum wage now; that is if they are able to keep their jobs. About 80% of U.S. transcriptionists have lost their jobs due to off-shoring to India. If you give me the transcription company’s name, I can tell you if they outsource. This is step one in perhaps putting an end to this. As a medical transcriptionist, I see these problems daily from the inside. I had to go through extensive education to obtain a Medical Transcription certification. We have to knowledge of medications, surgical techniques, chemotherapy drugs, diseases, procedures, ranges of vitals and labs, and have a vast knowledge of the medical field and terminology, and be able to catch any discrepancies that may inadvertently be dictatedâ€Â¦.sort of being the second ears for the doctor. We should all be concerned about this dangerous off-shoring technology. I hope I have been able to describe this “hush-hush” little secret that is happening to all of us and that you will take action and find out from your hospital where and how your information is being handled. I love what I do, but I am becoming more fearful and sad knowing that most Americans do not know what is being done to them without their knowledge. We need to bring back our personal, private information and our jobs to our country.

I hope you broke it into paragraphs for others... - this is super hard to read

[ In Reply To ..]
I gave up.

That's good, just one nitpick - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You typed "HIPPA" - might want to change that to "HIPAA." There are those who will catch that mistake and not take the rest of it seriously.

A couple other points... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
...besides the HIPAA note someone else mentioned. A lot of Facebook readers won't know what "MT" stands for right off the bat, so you should type out "medical transcriptionist (MT)" the first time you use that term.

You should also give this another proof-reading. I saw several little errors that I would correct first before posting. Read it over to make sure it's not missing any words, and correct any punctuation errors you might have. After all, you want to see the work stay here in the U.S. where we're much more skilled at that kind of thing. :-) That's just me, though!

Thanks, I needed the feedback - Lee

[ In Reply To ..]
I did break it up in paragraphs. This is a rough draft and wanted feedback first. Thank you to all..let me know if there is anything else before going further.

I gave up on the paragraph as soon as - msmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I came to the word "HIPPA" being spelled incorrectly. I agree if you want to be taken seriously, fix all the errors that the previous poster stated and break it down into paragraphs. Good luck. I don't post on facebook unless it is family things. I don't let work invade my facebook space.

This was one.... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
....spot where I noticed a word is left out:

We have to knowledge of medications,

Offshore, not outsource, to India. Hospitals/clinics Outsource to - company, company Offhsores to India.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Thank you - this is my pet peeve that - even MTs do not

[ In Reply To ..]
seem to know the enemy -- offshoring, not outsourcing. Without outsourcing, there would be no MTSO.

needs to be PERFECT before you post - hurting your own argument - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Multiple typos, weak grammar. Hurts your case to post something this way. You also cannot assume that hospitals are the biggest offenders - you should cite some hard data to back up your claim.

Thanks, you have all helped a lot - Lee

[ In Reply To ..]

agree... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Lee, I think you should speak for yourself in this piece. It becomes sensational to say that MT's have been talking about a hush-hush secret. I feel you hurt your credibility with this kind of talk.

In addition to fixing serious editing issues, you need to do some serious fact checking. Any entity that a U.S. MTSO outsources to (whether on- or off-shore) is considered an associate of that MTSO and is thus, INDEED, bound by HIPAA.

You need to know what your points are, and know what shoots you in the foot. You shoot yourself in the foot here by publishing a poorly edited article full of misinformation.

People in India speak English and are well educated; I see horrendous errors from U.S. MTs. Reading your post, I would wonder why my medical records are in safer hands with you.

Touche-consider my bubble burst..You are right. - Lee

[ In Reply To ..]
You are right. Who did I think I was. I am just a "monkey" doing a minimum wage job. I might not be the perfect writer, but I do care about the work I do. How foolish of me to think that just maybe I could have made some small difference.
Do not give up... Just rewrite and get some facts - better than others who do nothing
[ In Reply To ..]
Take the constructive criticism and run with it.
With all the talk about offshoring many jobs - in this country, I think SM
[ In Reply To ..]
the emphasis should be on that issue. Whoever posted that Indian companies associated with U.S. companies also follow HIPAA requirements is correct, I believe. Loss of jobs from offshoring is IMO one of the biggest reasons our country is suffering.

Sorry about the poster who got personal with you. Try to just ignore that. I think getting the info out there about offshoring is a good thing.
Lee, I agree -- - (see message)
[ In Reply To ..]
I give you credit for at least TRYING to think outside the box. Remember the quote: "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing." (or something like that, anyway--might not be the exact quote) :-D

Follow this person's advice--just rewrite and get some facts; take the constructive criticism and make it better! And be careful that what you put "out there" is accurate.

Good luck to you.
You probably feel dogpiled on, but try - to see past that (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
You have passion and a desire to get our story out there. Don't throw in the towel; like someone else said, at least you're taking action, and that's good.

Some people know how to give constructive criticism and some don't, and any kind of criticism can be hurtful if you weren't really prepared for it. My advice would be to take a deep breath, read the responses again, craft your essay again with citations to back up your claims, and repost it here for touch-ups. Prepare for more criticism, repeat the process until it's perfect, *then* post it on Facebook or whereever else you like.

You've got something here. Don't toss it. :)
(!) it's not that bad - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I most certainly do not think you are a monkey, for goodness sake. You asked for feedback. If you want to be self-indulgent with stuff like "who did I think I was", you will be less likely to make even a small difference. I think you could make a huge difference if you make sure you know what your points are and don't shoot yourself in the foot.
I posted a less in debth paragraph - FBers lose interest
[ In Reply To ..]
Basically just said you need to find out who does the transcription for your doc and local hospital, tell me and I will find out where your personal information ends up..And of course the basic reasons why. The biggest being identity theft and poor report quality. I still firmly believe that sending private citizen info to a country that is not bound by our privacy laws and is a potential enemy to be a violation of homeland security, and my pain clinic doc feels the same way..

Good lord, too hard to read! - What the

[ In Reply To ..]
Could not get much past the first paragraph and got a headache. If you want people to read this, you need to break it up into paragraphs.

Similar Messages:

Just Read This On Facebook
Feb 28, 2013

KarmaWhen people insult you, don’t take offense, don’t take it personally, but do listen to their words. They are telling you how they see the world, and they are telling you the exact negative qualities that they possess. "The Law of Mirrors" states that one can only see what’s in them, regardless if it is what is actually present in reality or not. Release the need to defend or try to explain to them that you’re not being whatever-nasty-insult-they’ve-thrown-at-yo ...

Pass Record Tool (PASS-R)
Feb 17, 2010

What exactly is pass record tool? This is the only definition/reference I can find for dictated PASSR (spelled by dictator) and not sure it is even medical.  We are suppose to expand abbreviations unless unsure of definition and I hate to send blanks to QA if I can avoid it. ...

Are You On Facebook Or Google+?
Feb 08, 2012

I haven't signed up for either one yet (yes, I know what a dinosaur I am, Brianasaurus timidus). My questions are: 1.  If you're on both, is one better than the other?  I've heard Google+ is better, having learned from all the mistakes Facebook has made. 2.  Do you have any secrets for setting up your privacy settings, etc. so that YOU, and not someone else, controls what gets seen, and by whom? Really looking forward to your answers because I'd like to get ...

MModal On Facebook...Opinions
Jan 25, 2012

Liking MModal on FB? Is this just another way to keep tabs on us? ...

Wow @ The Posts On The M2 Facebook Page
Aug 22, 2013

x ...

Facebook Page For MM India
Aug 30, 2013

The celebration of women my arse.  Celebrate this. ...

Have You Ever Looked Up Your TSM On Google Or Facebook?
Oct 22, 2013

I was curious what she looked like so I looked her up.  She looks *exactly* like she sounds.  Have you ever looked yours up?  ...

Nuance T-shirt On Facebook
Jun 11, 2015

Have you all seen the Nuance t-shirt on Facebook? "Skilled enough to work at Nuance, crazy enough to love it".  Too funny!! They actually believe it.  ...

Beware Of YouTube Messages Sent On Facebook.
Mar 18, 2010

I just spent 3 hours on the phone to get rid of a virus I picked up on Facebook.  My aunt had sent me an email to watch a video on YouTube, but when you go to it there is a message that you that you need to update Adobe.  That is when it attacks.  It sends you to different websites when you try to go to McAfee, Microsoft, etc.   It is called Koobface.  Be careful, I had it on both my desktop and laptop.  ...

Weird Message From Facebook Page
Sep 02, 2013

got this in my Other box Hi, Ms. ### I am a good Quality Controller working 10 years for transcription, and worked for M-Modal but he is subcontractor and paying me so less. Can you please arrange M-Modal ID or work for me....i will be very thankful to you   Of course this person has an Indian name. Says he is MT/QC at Pulstech Transcription, Brisun Technologies & Caren Technologies Past: job corps and Brainstorm ...

Transcend's Facebook Site For Editing Tips
Sep 14, 2011

well, someone finally had a good idea to try to help us, but.... typical of such boards, there is one busybody know-it-all that is dominating everything and she is the only one with an idea, the only one who is right, the only one who can do anything.  Must be nice to have such a superego.  Sue needs to watch out, this woman will be sitting at her desk soon. ...

Did You See The Guy From India Who Posted On M Modal's Facebook Page
Jun 03, 2013

Vaseem Opai My only aim and goal is to produce maximum lines with 100% quality and make my center the top productive center of m modal and I will. ...

Someone In Our Facebook Group Posted An Email From Our Instructor
Sep 06, 2014

saying we will be back on track in the program next week and have several chapters and power points ready to go.    Just thought I would pass on the good news to you guys.  ...

Fluency Direct Quote On MModal Facebook Page
Jul 18, 2013

I use Fluency Direct while I talk with patients in the exam rooms. I talk to the patients and dictate right into the system. A lot of patients think it is kind of cool that the software is doing the dictation. When I walk out of the room, my chart is kind of done." KIND OF???????? ugh ...

Medication S/l Med Pass? See More
Aug 13, 2010

Patient is on vitamin D, aspirin, (Med Pass), omeprozole, MiraLax, sertaline, simvastatin, Spiriva, Symbicort....   This is a patient with pancytopenia..if that helps... ...

I Was A WMX QA And Can't Pass A Test??
Sep 14, 2010

I've taken all of these tests one after another and some I pass, some I don't. I have the experience and did QA for 5 years, so I have no idea why I'm not passing them. I'm growing tired and weary. Anyone else having problems testing? ...

Does Anybody Else Think That MQ Just Does Want Us To Not Pass Audits?
Oct 27, 2010

Does it seem like no matter what you do it is not good enough? Here lately it seems like they only audit the worst dictator. The only reports they have audited for me lately have been ESLs lately. Maybe that is their way of trying to get rid of me. Maybe they want to thin the herd and just send it all to India. I just hope to find something soon outside of MT. I have been looking.   ...

Someone Posted Below That You Now Have To Pass The RMT To Even Take The CMT?
Sep 20, 2011

Is this really true?  I was already on the fence about it....I despise ADHI but at the same time realize having CMT could possibly help find a job and sometimes (rarely) get a CMT diff.  Not to mention the test cost $300 whether you pass or not.  So now you have to pay to pass the RMT?  This can't be true.  I mean, if you can pass the CMT you should be able to pass the RMT w/o having to PAY for it.  ...

Can A New Grad Pass The CCS, CPC? I Just Did
Jan 08, 2012

Someone just asked, so I'll answer.  Yes, it is very possible.  I graduated 1 1/2 years ago from Andrews School but then waited to take the exams (personal reasons). I just started back on track to get the credentials.  I passed the CPC this fall and passed the CCS this week.   Even with the long delay between the end of school and my credentialing exams, I passed both on the first try. I have NOT worked a single day as a coder.  I am ...

Just Something I Want To Pass Along That Could Be Helpful
Sep 24, 2012

I, I think like a lot of the MTs on here are getting fed up with Express Scribe and the fact that you have to go to the Pro Version and downgrade to the free.  Stupidly on Thursday, I removed my copy of ES to install the version that the company I was going to work for uses.  Well, now, I cannot even configure the footpedal unless I purchase the product or one of their footpedals (my footpedal is an IN-USB-1 which has worked on Express Scribe in the past), but now, it is not even on th ...

Just Some Information To Pass Along
Oct 17, 2014

I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 8.1 on it.  My old computer had Word 2003 and Steadmans 2006 installed on it.  I could not get the Steadmans 2006 to load on the new computer so as a result, I went for the 15-day trial of Spellex, since Stedman's doesn't offer anything like that.   I called Spellex today (and BTW, they are based in Tampa, FL), and said that I would not be able to purchase the program until next Friday and I only had 2 days left of my ...

Pass/fail
Oct 21, 2014

Does anyone have a clue about the pass/fail that is in Fiesa today?  Just noticed mine and I suppose it has something to do with the changes rolling out but I couldn't remember if we had received anything about it or not.  Thanks! ...

Gotta Pass This One Along ... Sm
May 18, 2015

Dr. dictates:  Postsurgical drains over the abdomen ... VR types:  Postsurgical brains over the abdomen ...   Bwahahahahahahahaha!!! ...

Pass/fail Tests?
Jul 02, 2010

I know that the tests given by MTSOs are from mttest.com and that they are pass/fail tests. Does anyone know what the passing percentage is? One strike, you're out? How does this work? Thanks. ...

Pass/fail Rates
Mar 10, 2010

Here is a link to the pass/fail rates for AHIMA certification exams.   http://www.ahima.org/certification/documents/2007_2009_CertificationExamPassRates.pdf Please note that even AHIMA itself recommends a minimum of 3 years of hospital coding experience before attempting the CCS exam, and they have good reason for doing so.  The test is very challenging.  Yes, people may pass without that experience, but most will not.  This is not an inexpensive exam, either.  The fig ...

If I Suck So Bad And Can't Pass An Audit-sm
Apr 02, 2010

Then how come I passed a test for another company with flying colors and am waiting for a call from recruiter, not getting my hopes up, but hopefully they do cal -- serioulsy I need something to hold on to, just got another e-mail reminding me about how much I do suck :( ...

DEPRESSED NO JOB, CANT PASS TESTS
Jul 31, 2010

I am so depressed. I guess I am trying to vent to you guys. I have taken 4 tests for companies and failed all  of them. I didnt even get an answer back from one. I have been doing this for years. I feel like a dummy. I dont think there are any good companies out there that any one of us can trust. I havent found one. I have sent out my resumes to at least 25 companies I got through my school and on the internet. I also was soooooo scammed through Dit transcription. I just dont know what to ...

Anyone Pass SoftScript's Test
Aug 10, 2010

nm ...

Is It Getting Harder To Pass Audits?
Oct 21, 2010

I had a report where I was marked as a major mistake. I typed status post and it was marked as a major mistake because I was supposed to type ,status post. ...

Why Can't I Pass These Hiring Tests?!
Jul 16, 2012

I cannot seem to pass these MT tests to save my life.  I spent all last week testing.  I've been informed I've failed four tests.  I've passed Nuance and M*Modal's test, which is pretty much the same as a few other tests I've taken but failed.  I've also taken two other tests that were not the mttest, but failed those as well.  These tests have taken me FOREVER to do, as I have no footpedal and the dictators talk so fast that I have to stop ...