A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just some information to pass along - nn

Posted: Oct 17, 2014

I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 8.1 on it.  My old computer had Word 2003 and Steadmans 2006 installed on it.  I could not get the Steadmans 2006 to load on the new computer so as a result, I went for the 15-day trial of Spellex, since Stedman's doesn't offer anything like that.   I called Spellex today (and BTW, they are based in Tampa, FL), and said that I would not be able to purchase the program until next Friday and I only had 2 days left of my trial.

They graciously extended my trial another 15 days; however, the good news is that next week, they are launching a new product, which will be a their spellchecker and a word expander program, which they are going to be offering BOTH for around $100.  For those of you MTs who are "new computer shopping, " this might be something to keep in mind.  I had seriously thought of going with Instant Text, but now, I will have BOTH products for the price of one, and saving quite a bit of $$

I am just an "average Jane" MT and not affiliated with Spellex in any way, but just trying to help my fellow MTs save some money :)

$100 ?? No thanks - sm - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I'll stick with my $29.95 pcshorthand expander and use the Word expander also - not to mention the spell checker already included in Word.

Spellchecker included in Word... - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Is not a medical or a pharmaceutical spellchecker and MOST if not ALL, MTSOs require Stedman's or some other medical spellchecker so not sure how you are just using the spellchecker that is included in Word.

Spellex - Lucy

[ In Reply To ..]
I recently bought a new computer because my old one crashed. I had just bought bought Spellex and called them here in Tampa and they traced my purchase and installed it for me on my new computer after they indeed confirmed the purchase. They are very nice people to deal with. I purchased the medical program since it had more entries than Stedman's. It is well worth the money and I am glad to hear they now include an expander. I think Spellex a really fine program.
Lucy -- I have to agree - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
Same thing here -- new computer. My Spellex "trial" was due to expire either the 18th or the 19th and because I had some unexpected charges come through on my bank card last week (still trying to get those refunded), they extended my trial for another 15 days and remoted in to my computer to allow that to happen. That is when I found out about them also adding the expander program as well and the tech told me to send my entries from ShortCut to him and he would add them when I purchase the product. I like the fact that they are US-based and that they do allow the free trial unlike Steadmans. I have been using a free trial of Instant Text, and even though I was able to enter my Shortcut information into that glossary, I have not been really happy with certain aspects of that program. Plus it saves me having to pay for a spellchecker and an expander, which the poster above, didn't quite seem to grasp.

I have a medical dictionary incorporated into Word from employer. That's how. - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
should have mentioned that in the first place - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
Might have mentioned the fact that your EMPLOYER provided that. There are many MTs out there, who are either ICs or even employees who do not have a spellchecker or a word expanded provided by their employer.
It's incorporated nto the platform I use. sm - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
My previous employer did not. As a MT, you should have a high knowledge of medical words. When I came across something I didn't know, I put that word or phrase into my word expander.
Your replies tend to be a bit "snide" - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
I've been an MT for 35 years, so I would think that "my knowledge of medical words" is pretty extensive. I too, had a word expander, which I used for MANY years -- Shortcut for Windows. However, it is NO longer available and it is not compatible with the newer computer operating systems. With SC for Windows, I was also able to put whole paragraphs in and expand those -- something that cannot be done with AutoCorrect in Microsoft Word, and a lot of MTs use word expander programs such as Instant Text, etc. That particular program, I believe is $189 -- quite costly, on top of the cost of a medical spell check program -- Stedmans being $99 -- so for the same price, Spellex is going to be offering a spell checking program AND a word expander.
So why would you even reply to the OP - in the first place
[ In Reply To ..]
if your employer provided your software?

Similar Messages:

Pass Record Tool (PASS-R)
Feb 17, 2010

What exactly is pass record tool? This is the only definition/reference I can find for dictated PASSR (spelled by dictator) and not sure it is even medical.  We are suppose to expand abbreviations unless unsure of definition and I hate to send blanks to QA if I can avoid it. ...

Medication S/l Med Pass? See More
Aug 13, 2010

Patient is on vitamin D, aspirin, (Med Pass), omeprozole, MiraLax, sertaline, simvastatin, Spiriva, Symbicort....   This is a patient with pancytopenia..if that helps... ...

I Was A WMX QA And Can't Pass A Test??
Sep 14, 2010

I've taken all of these tests one after another and some I pass, some I don't. I have the experience and did QA for 5 years, so I have no idea why I'm not passing them. I'm growing tired and weary. Anyone else having problems testing? ...

Does Anybody Else Think That MQ Just Does Want Us To Not Pass Audits?
Oct 27, 2010

Does it seem like no matter what you do it is not good enough? Here lately it seems like they only audit the worst dictator. The only reports they have audited for me lately have been ESLs lately. Maybe that is their way of trying to get rid of me. Maybe they want to thin the herd and just send it all to India. I just hope to find something soon outside of MT. I have been looking.   ...

Someone Posted Below That You Now Have To Pass The RMT To Even Take The CMT?
Sep 20, 2011

Is this really true?  I was already on the fence about it....I despise ADHI but at the same time realize having CMT could possibly help find a job and sometimes (rarely) get a CMT diff.  Not to mention the test cost $300 whether you pass or not.  So now you have to pay to pass the RMT?  This can't be true.  I mean, if you can pass the CMT you should be able to pass the RMT w/o having to PAY for it.  ...

Can A New Grad Pass The CCS, CPC? I Just Did
Jan 08, 2012

Someone just asked, so I'll answer.  Yes, it is very possible.  I graduated 1 1/2 years ago from Andrews School but then waited to take the exams (personal reasons). I just started back on track to get the credentials.  I passed the CPC this fall and passed the CCS this week.   Even with the long delay between the end of school and my credentialing exams, I passed both on the first try. I have NOT worked a single day as a coder.  I am ...

Just Something I Want To Pass Along That Could Be Helpful
Sep 24, 2012

I, I think like a lot of the MTs on here are getting fed up with Express Scribe and the fact that you have to go to the Pro Version and downgrade to the free.  Stupidly on Thursday, I removed my copy of ES to install the version that the company I was going to work for uses.  Well, now, I cannot even configure the footpedal unless I purchase the product or one of their footpedals (my footpedal is an IN-USB-1 which has worked on Express Scribe in the past), but now, it is not even on th ...

Pass/fail
Oct 21, 2014

Does anyone have a clue about the pass/fail that is in Fiesa today?  Just noticed mine and I suppose it has something to do with the changes rolling out but I couldn't remember if we had received anything about it or not.  Thanks! ...

Gotta Pass This One Along ... Sm
May 18, 2015

Dr. dictates:  Postsurgical drains over the abdomen ... VR types:  Postsurgical brains over the abdomen ...   Bwahahahahahahahaha!!! ...

Pass/fail Tests?
Jul 02, 2010

I know that the tests given by MTSOs are from mttest.com and that they are pass/fail tests. Does anyone know what the passing percentage is? One strike, you're out? How does this work? Thanks. ...

Pass/fail Rates
Mar 10, 2010

Here is a link to the pass/fail rates for AHIMA certification exams.   http://www.ahima.org/certification/documents/2007_2009_CertificationExamPassRates.pdf Please note that even AHIMA itself recommends a minimum of 3 years of hospital coding experience before attempting the CCS exam, and they have good reason for doing so.  The test is very challenging.  Yes, people may pass without that experience, but most will not.  This is not an inexpensive exam, either.  The fig ...

If I Suck So Bad And Can't Pass An Audit-sm
Apr 02, 2010

Then how come I passed a test for another company with flying colors and am waiting for a call from recruiter, not getting my hopes up, but hopefully they do cal -- serioulsy I need something to hold on to, just got another e-mail reminding me about how much I do suck :( ...

DEPRESSED NO JOB, CANT PASS TESTS
Jul 31, 2010

I am so depressed. I guess I am trying to vent to you guys. I have taken 4 tests for companies and failed all  of them. I didnt even get an answer back from one. I have been doing this for years. I feel like a dummy. I dont think there are any good companies out there that any one of us can trust. I havent found one. I have sent out my resumes to at least 25 companies I got through my school and on the internet. I also was soooooo scammed through Dit transcription. I just dont know what to ...

Anyone Pass SoftScript's Test
Aug 10, 2010

nm ...

Is It Getting Harder To Pass Audits?
Oct 21, 2010

I had a report where I was marked as a major mistake. I typed status post and it was marked as a major mistake because I was supposed to type ,status post. ...

Why Can't I Pass These Hiring Tests?!
Jul 16, 2012

I cannot seem to pass these MT tests to save my life.  I spent all last week testing.  I've been informed I've failed four tests.  I've passed Nuance and M*Modal's test, which is pretty much the same as a few other tests I've taken but failed.  I've also taken two other tests that were not the mttest, but failed those as well.  These tests have taken me FOREVER to do, as I have no footpedal and the dictators talk so fast that I have to stop ...

Please Read And Pass On--I Put It On Facebook
Oct 09, 2012

Please Read and Pass On about this terrible, sneaky, little secret that most people do not know. Thank you for reading, as I know this is long, and I am putting my job in jeopardy by giving this information, but I feel that Americans need to know that this is dangerously and secretly happening to them. We, MT̢۪s, across the country, have been talking and have decided to tell people what is happening to all of us and our medical information. We are in fear of what is happening and are trying ...

Want To Pass This On..food For Thought...
May 21, 2013

I left MM over a month ago.  I interviewed for a job the very next week and they hired me on the spot.  The money was wonderful, hourly only.  It was soooo sweet!  Money great, people there great.  I thanked God every day for it.  Then, on the 4th week, I was informed that my job there was over.  HERE AGAIN...they have no MTs anymore.  WHAT?!!!  Consequently, I am not ever, ever, ever, going to go for an MT job again.  I love the work so ve ...

Will The Rider Pass? ICD-10 Delay To Oct '15?
Mar 26, 2014

Congress to Vote on ICD-10 Delay Tomorrow, AHIMA Calls for Action to Stop Bill Today A new bill has been quietly introduced into the US House and Senate that features a section calling for the delay ICD-10-CM/PCS implementation until 2015. The bill, which would adjust the Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) and amend the Social Security Act to extend Medicare payments to physicians and change other provisions of the Medicare and Medicaid programs, also includes a seven line section that would delay ...

I Give Up! I Cannot Pass The Audits (sm)
Jun 18, 2014

I switched to VR about 1-1/2 months ago and I just cannot do it.  This 99.6 going to 99.7 in July is impossible for me.  I get so close, but just not close enough.  I need to find transcription again, regular transcription, not this VR.  I didn't have any trouble with that for the most part.  Heck, I can't even get the line count I did before VR because I'm constantly going over and over each report, relistening, but apparnetly not doing such a good job at ...

I'm So Bummed......did Not Pass Test For Another Company.
Jun 28, 2012

Received email saying I had to have 97% or higher.  I doubled checked all my answers on the test and then did 5 VR reports.  I'd like to see my test.  I'm not new at this.  I so wanted a different job.     sigh. ...

Tier 2 Testing: Who Passed, Who Did Not Pass,
Mar 28, 2013

x ...

Opti-Script Notifies You If You Pass Their Test Or Not?
May 03, 2011

Does anyone know if Opti-Script notifies you if you pass their test or not?  ...

Is It Possible To Pass The CCS Exam Upon Completion Of The Andrews Coding Course?
Nov 21, 2013

From what I've read, the CCS exam sounds difficult and I'm curious if any Andrews grads passed the exam as soon as they were finished with the course. I guess really what I'm wondering is if the Andrews course prepares you enough to pass the CCS or is the course more geared toward the CPC. I'm in the research phase right now, deciding which coding course is the best one for me. I'm also still trying to understand the differences between all of the coding credentials, bu ...

Just Got An Email From My QC Coah On The Pass/fail Jobs
Dec 09, 2013

I had 2 jobs that were both 100 and then I had a failed job on some account that I have never typed on before ~ foreign doctor.    The errors were marked as noncritical errors.    How can they expect us to be able to type 100 different accounts with perfect quality?   I remember this report that I "failed."  There were no samples to go by.   I guess I will be getting an email from my supervisor shortly about failing a job and making me feel ...

Seriously, How Did I Ever Manage 25 Years In This Business If I Can't Pass An English Grammar/m
Aug 03, 2010

I think some of these companies are pushing their luck.  They either like you or they don't.  Some of these tests are too easy.  Some of them led me to believe I was applying for an internship after medical school.  I admit I had to look up some of the answers because I didn't train to become a pediatric medical transcriptionist.  Since when do we have MT specialty certficates?  I have transcribed just about everything they can do to you in a uni ...

Hypertype Information - Any Information
Feb 19, 2011

Any information on Hypertype?  Good, bad, and ugly, pay scale, platform?  TIA.  I have passed the test which I took a little more than a week ago.  They want to set up a phone interview but I want to know upfront what current ICs think.  Are they flexible.  Do you have a schedule.  Saw through the archives that the pay is low but how low is low?  TIA. ...

(adolescent) She Did Not Pass The "WAFL" This Year.
Jul 14, 2011

pt having difficulties in school and has an IEP ... but I cannot verify the term "WAFL" anywhere!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you! ...

A S/l "tia" Was Used To Pass Sutures Through
Feb 14, 2011

the biceps tendon.  S/L tia or teel or something like that.  Thanks! ...

Pass Of Free Flow Or Passive Free Flow?
Feb 04, 2011

Negative aspiration and pass of free flow of saline into the peritoneum was observed. or is it passive free flow of saline? ...