A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Can a new grad pass the CCS, CPC? I just did - AndrewsGrad

Posted: Jan 08, 2012

Someone just asked, so I'll answer.  Yes, it is very possible.  I graduated 1 1/2 years ago from Andrews School but then waited to take the exams (personal reasons).

I just started back on track to get the credentials.  I passed the CPC this fall and passed the CCS this week.   Even with the long delay between the end of school and my credentialing exams, I passed both on the first try.

I have NOT worked a single day as a coder.  I am a working medical transcriptionist. 

There ARE schools that absolutely do teach the necessary skills.  The student just has to learn them.  Your choice of school makes an incredible difference.  This has always been true though.  I've been saying it for years in transcription.  Choose your school well, and the skills (should you choose to learn them) will come.  Cool

AndrewsGrad, CCS, CPC-A

Congratulations on passing both of those! - Impressed

[ In Reply To ..]
That's very impressive. I hope you did something very nice for yourself to celebrate this week.

Congratulations! - Butterflies

[ In Reply To ..]
Good job! Your post has inspired me. I am about to start the course next week--supplies on the way. Wish they would get here tomorrow because self-doubting questions keep popping into my head, but your post is encouraging.

Excellent News For All of us who want to do the same thing - Congratulations!

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope we hear from more people who have passed the CCS exam. This is a major accomplishment. Now if your success would just rub off on everyone else who wants to pass it but afraid to take it.

That brings me to a question. Were you terrified when you went to take the test?

Was I terrified? No, not really... - AndrewsGrad

[ In Reply To ..]
Half the battle is to know you are studying the correct material, prepare well, and get to the end of the test.

I think everyone feels they have the potential to fail the exam; I sure did. It keeps us from being cocky. It's a healthy fear. That's a good thing. But I wasn't terrified in the least.

I went to a solid school that teaches the right material, brushed up before the exam, and let the education take over. That's about all you can do...prepare.

I was more concerned with getting to the testing facility on time, running into an ice storm, or getting a flat tire; things that I couldn't control! :)

....and thanks!!!

Was there a reason why you took the CPC first and CCS next? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

For me it was due to location and timing - AndrewsGrad

[ In Reply To ..]
Good question! For me, it was simply location and timing.

I looked both up online and found on the AAPC website that there was a CPC exam the following month, deadline to register at the end of the week! If I didn't get into that particular exam session that just happened to be held in my very town, I would have to travel well over 2 hours to any of the next-closest sessions. For me, that made getting the CPC out of the way first a no-brainer. Do it while it is available 15 minutes away. I felt I would be ready as well. Passed the first try.

Luckily, the CCS scheduling is far and away more flexible than the CPC scheduling (because AHIMA uses professional test centers), but the test centers are not close. Early Jan was the first time it worked in with my other commitments. :)

My recommendation is to ... - Do it that way

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know for sure about our friend above, but I always suggest doing it in that order IF you can, in fact, do both inpatient and outpatient coding.
These are two completely different exams covering completely different types of coding. There is some CPT procedure coding on the CCS, but it focuses on hospital inpatient coding.

Taking the CPC is helpful because it can be less stressful. It is given on paper by real people who smile and convey a can-do attitude, you can use the restroom, put on a sweater, etc. I think you can still bring a snack. It is given in normal surroundings. There is never any hassle about code book the proctors are clear about it.

You also get a free retake if you happen not to pass. That happy fact can eliminate two fears--fear of the expense (why worry if you can take it again?) and fear of what is on it. Many people will never take it at all because they fear taking any test, because they feel so guilty about the cost that the want to wait until they are really sure they are ready (which will never happen), and because they do not feel sure about what will be on it. What if they do not know ALL of it?

I suggest that you pretend the first time is for practice. That eliminates all those fears. The reduction in anxiety is often so dramatic that people just relax and have a nice time..and that helps them do fine. I do not know anyone who had to use the retake.

With that confidence and the understanding that you can control your anxiety by pretending you are just practicing or just taking it to find out what is on it, it becomes mch easier to approach the CCS. You can deal with the testing center, with the rude people there who may ignorantly tell you that you cannot use a book, with the computerized presentation and lack of any way to write anything down, and all those other things that can distract. You can more easily accept the cost of testing, too. There is no free retake, but you can deal with that because you are more confident. Simply taking the test is also cheaper than many review courses. If you do not pass it is no bother; you will know what to study.

There is something t keep in mind here. Many schools teach a kind of generic coding. They have ONE course, beginning, intermediate, and maybe advanced, that covers generic coding. Or, at many colleges, they teach it using books that focus mostly on inpatient rules but with mentions of outpatient scattered around. Students of outpatient only courses cannot attempt the CCS. Students of generic or mixed together courses cannot keep the two straight. Theycan pass the CCA because that teat goes along those lines, but they usully have trouble with the CPC and find the CCS impossible. This is why there is a 2 to 3 year "experience" recommendation for certification tests. It is so you can learn the material you were not taught in school and learn to keep the types of coding straight.

Andrews students have an advantage here. I believe their course teaches outpatient first by itself and then teaches inpatient by itself. This is basically double the attention coding gets in colleges. It also enables them to compartmentalise the coding types with all their different situations and rules. Those students are exam-ready as well as work-ready. Just as Andrews has allways been with MT students, their coding students have had more training and enough training with the right kind of focus to enable them to hit the ground running. That has always seemed to be the school's goal.

For those students, too, taking the CPC before the CCS mimics the way they studied coding. They make use of the compartments they built in their minds. It is not all jumbled up for them, I would think.

I think those students are pushed to achieve, too. Andrews seems to have high standards.

Can a new grad... - Bizzi One

[ In Reply To ..]
Congratulations on your accomplishment. I just started with Andrews last week in medical coding. Your post is so encouraging. Thanks!

Similar Messages:

Pass Record Tool (PASS-R)
Feb 17, 2010

What exactly is pass record tool? This is the only definition/reference I can find for dictated PASSR (spelled by dictator) and not sure it is even medical.  We are suppose to expand abbreviations unless unsure of definition and I hate to send blanks to QA if I can avoid it. ...

Recent MT Grad.
Oct 26, 2009

I am a recent grad of Allied Medical School's MT program. I am signed up for an AIM internship. I am wondering about the long wait to get started working. I am a Registered Dental Hygienist for 20 years, and my education in this field completely prepared me for the "real" world of work right after passing the Boards.   I am very disgruntled about my on-line MT training and now, seemingly, non-existent internship.   Advise and stories appreciated.   From Vermont, ...

Advice For New Grad
Feb 16, 2010

Hello Everybody!  I'm a new grad looking for input on where to begin to find a work-from-home position as an MT.  I'm interested in Radiology or physician group practice work.  I've been a secretary for 23 years including 10 years of psych transcription, but am new to the medical transcription field.  Any advice is much appreciated.  ...

Any Advice For A New Grad?
Jun 01, 2010

I just graduated from the At-Home Professions Medical Transcription course and would like to work from home. Looking at job listings it's hard to know which compmanies listed are reputable.  Also hard to know if there's any hope for me to be hired by a transcription service right out of ther gate.  Any advice or words of wisdom?  Thanks! ...

MT Grad W/SUM Program Eight Yrs Ago
Aug 11, 2010

Eiight years ago I took a transcription course through a local school that offered the SUM program.  It was intensive training for nine months and earned a certificate for completing the program.  I went to work for a local hospital and transcribed doctor's dictation; which included ER, radiology, psych, and scope reports.  Plus various reports that came accross overnight, I worked the 3-11 pm shift.  I did this for eleven months, until the hurricains hit Florida and fo ...

New Grad...Needs Work
Nov 08, 2010

I just graduated with an A in every class of my Associates in Applied Science in Medical Transcription. I keep hitting brick walls with the experience thing, as I am sure many of you have. Do you guys have any suggestions as to who may hire me???? I hate spending so much time on these websites for them just to send me some garbage about going to school for MT, which I have done already...Just looking for a jumpstart!!! Any suggestions? ...

New Grad MT W/ IC Questions
Jul 16, 2011

Hello, MTs! I recently graduated in June with high honors (3.90 GPA) from EvCC's MT program. I just started to look for employment, but I am having a difficult time finding a company who will take a chance with me. I knew how hard it was going to be prior to school, but I didn't think it would be this hard. I worked my hardest thinking I might have a higher chance if I graduated with a high GPA. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case for me. I have applied to 6 companies sin ...

Frusturated New Grad
Jun 11, 2012

I am a recent graduate with my medical transcription certificate and most of the job openings I have been looking at require at least a years experience and ask for "newbies" to not apply. Does anyone have any advice as to how to get my foot in the door to a medical transcription job? ...

Recent Grad Seeking Job
Jan 12, 2010

I just finished my MT course, have been looking for a job, but without experience no one wants to hire me.  Where do I get the experience?  Is there any tutor/student jobs available so that I can get the experience and use the skills I just learned?  I have Express Scribe, my own foot pedal and medical dictionary and other sources at my fingertips!  I am ready to work and need a job by the end of the month.  ...

Severely Frusterated New Grad
Sep 07, 2010

I have been a new grad since July 2010 and have been actively looking for employment since May 2010. Everytime I see a posting for a job that requires 2, 3, 6, 7 years experience, I just want to scream. If there is such a need for experienced MT's, then why don't some of these companies train a new MT??? Train a fresh brain, shape them to work for your company? I have several friends who were considering a career as a MT but have already advised them to never do it. I am starting to wo ...

Strategies In Job Searching For A New MT Grad
Feb 20, 2011

Does anyone have any strateges for job searching as  new MT grad?  I am willing to do general transcription work. ...

Thanks Recent Coding Grad
May 27, 2014

Got your email just wanted to let you know.  Thanks for the resources and the support! ...

Former Andrews Grad Looking For Advice...
May 22, 2015

Hello All!  I need some advice from the experienced coders out there.  Roughly 3 years ago, I graduated Andrews successfully (by a miracle)! During the course of my schooling, I had several life events which happened and I just tried to get through school as best as I could.  I was so stressed out by the time I finsihed due to working, taking care of an ill family member and having 2 special needs children, I never got around to taking my certification exams.   Things have s ...

New Grad Medical Transcription - Hard To Get A Job
Aug 26, 2010

It is so hard to get a job being a new grad who hires new grad anybody now? ...

New Grad Lists 40 Cpl On Resume Bank?
Feb 16, 2012

I just saw a listing in the resume bank for a new grad wanting 40 cpl. Wow. I want that too, and I have 15 years of experience and my own accounts... ...

New Grad/Exc Work Ethic/ Needs Help/ Just Can't Get My Foot In The Door!
Oct 23, 2009

I need some help. I just recently graduated from an accredited school. They were supposed to have a  2 year apprenticeship program set up and ready to go when I graduated. It fell through. My instructors have told me there is no reason I can't find a job. I am also a licensed veterinary technician. I have years of medical experience and I breezed through my college courses. I have applied to over 200 jobs and nothing yet. My previous employer references praise me and wish I would have ...

New Grad Medical Transcription - I Worked Hard ....
Aug 13, 2010

I am a recent graduate from medical transcription school. Yeah, I know, big whoop. Actually it was for me, since I was beginning to wonder if it was ever going to happen. Why did I do this? Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time and, like anyone else who has never tried it, I tought medical transcription would be a lot easier than it is. My I'm-So-Excited Factor: I have no stars in my eyes. I know it will be hard to find a job and if I do, I won't make much until I get a lot bett ...

New Grad Medical Transcription - Company That Will Hire With No Experience
Jan 30, 2014

Just graduated from MT school and I am having a lot of trouble finding a company that will hire with no experience... any advice?? thanks!   Jenn ...

I'm New To The Employment Process, Being A New Grad Of Career Step. Info.?
May 05, 2015

Hi everyone, I'm new to the employment process for medical transcription &/or general transcription.  Can anyone tell me anything about a company called TTETranscription? Tnank you!  Joyce ...

Medication S/l Med Pass? See More
Aug 13, 2010

Patient is on vitamin D, aspirin, (Med Pass), omeprozole, MiraLax, sertaline, simvastatin, Spiriva, Symbicort....   This is a patient with pancytopenia..if that helps... ...

I Was A WMX QA And Can't Pass A Test??
Sep 14, 2010

I've taken all of these tests one after another and some I pass, some I don't. I have the experience and did QA for 5 years, so I have no idea why I'm not passing them. I'm growing tired and weary. Anyone else having problems testing? ...

Does Anybody Else Think That MQ Just Does Want Us To Not Pass Audits?
Oct 27, 2010

Does it seem like no matter what you do it is not good enough? Here lately it seems like they only audit the worst dictator. The only reports they have audited for me lately have been ESLs lately. Maybe that is their way of trying to get rid of me. Maybe they want to thin the herd and just send it all to India. I just hope to find something soon outside of MT. I have been looking.   ...

Someone Posted Below That You Now Have To Pass The RMT To Even Take The CMT?
Sep 20, 2011

Is this really true?  I was already on the fence about it....I despise ADHI but at the same time realize having CMT could possibly help find a job and sometimes (rarely) get a CMT diff.  Not to mention the test cost $300 whether you pass or not.  So now you have to pay to pass the RMT?  This can't be true.  I mean, if you can pass the CMT you should be able to pass the RMT w/o having to PAY for it.  ...

Just Something I Want To Pass Along That Could Be Helpful
Sep 24, 2012

I, I think like a lot of the MTs on here are getting fed up with Express Scribe and the fact that you have to go to the Pro Version and downgrade to the free.  Stupidly on Thursday, I removed my copy of ES to install the version that the company I was going to work for uses.  Well, now, I cannot even configure the footpedal unless I purchase the product or one of their footpedals (my footpedal is an IN-USB-1 which has worked on Express Scribe in the past), but now, it is not even on th ...

Just Some Information To Pass Along
Oct 17, 2014

I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 8.1 on it.  My old computer had Word 2003 and Steadmans 2006 installed on it.  I could not get the Steadmans 2006 to load on the new computer so as a result, I went for the 15-day trial of Spellex, since Stedman's doesn't offer anything like that.   I called Spellex today (and BTW, they are based in Tampa, FL), and said that I would not be able to purchase the program until next Friday and I only had 2 days left of my ...

Pass/fail
Oct 21, 2014

Does anyone have a clue about the pass/fail that is in Fiesa today?  Just noticed mine and I suppose it has something to do with the changes rolling out but I couldn't remember if we had received anything about it or not.  Thanks! ...

Gotta Pass This One Along ... Sm
May 18, 2015

Dr. dictates:  Postsurgical drains over the abdomen ... VR types:  Postsurgical brains over the abdomen ...   Bwahahahahahahahaha!!! ...

Pass/fail Tests?
Jul 02, 2010

I know that the tests given by MTSOs are from mttest.com and that they are pass/fail tests. Does anyone know what the passing percentage is? One strike, you're out? How does this work? Thanks. ...

Pass/fail Rates
Mar 10, 2010

Here is a link to the pass/fail rates for AHIMA certification exams.   http://www.ahima.org/certification/documents/2007_2009_CertificationExamPassRates.pdf Please note that even AHIMA itself recommends a minimum of 3 years of hospital coding experience before attempting the CCS exam, and they have good reason for doing so.  The test is very challenging.  Yes, people may pass without that experience, but most will not.  This is not an inexpensive exam, either.  The fig ...

If I Suck So Bad And Can't Pass An Audit-sm
Apr 02, 2010

Then how come I passed a test for another company with flying colors and am waiting for a call from recruiter, not getting my hopes up, but hopefully they do cal -- serioulsy I need something to hold on to, just got another e-mail reminding me about how much I do suck :( ...