A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Someone in our Facebook group posted an email from our instructor - MModal Coding student

Posted: Sep 06, 2014

saying we will be back on track in the program next week and have several chapters and power points ready to go.    Just thought I would pass on the good news to you guys. 

MModal coding - Anna Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
How do you get into their program?

you have to be an MT and then test when - they send out the notice

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I think you have to be working for MM - in good standing, too.

[ In Reply To ..]
If you want to learn coding, there are other ways to get training. You don't have to go to work for MM to do it.

yes this is true you do have to be in good standing and yes - you can go about it a different way
[ In Reply To ..]
but it is hard to get a coding job with no experience.
It is hard to get any job with no experience. - People somehow manage
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
I had no problem with MT - practically had hospitals fighting
[ In Reply To ..]
over me. but then again that was 13 years ago.
Me, too. Back in the '80s I applied in person, - cold (no ads posted) to 4
[ In Reply To ..]
hospitals in one day, and got offers from all four of them. The two highest hourly offers bid against each other, then ended up at the same pay rate. I chose the one that allowed me to choose any hours I wanted to work. Those were sure the days, weren't they?

MModal coding school - Anna Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
I have coding experience, but none recently. I was thing of this as a refresher of sorts. It sounds like I need to take another route.

You may want to think about applying at MModal - they have taken out an ad in For The Record

[ In Reply To ..]
regarding their coding services. They are having a big push right now in their coding department and are trying to get their current apprentice students through because the demand is so great for their coders.

I believe a lot of those students are going to - end up getting the shaft. :(

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Of course they are...It is Mmodal, after all. NM - L&L
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Not sure what that means -- pls explain. - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
"Get the shaft"? Not sure what that means. Could you explain?

MM trains some MTs to code. No matter what happens on the job after that, those trainees have acquired a valuable skill that they did not have before. They can then get certified or at least be on the road to it. The program includes an experience component.

Nothing in that says "shaft" to me ... it all says "enhanced employability."

What am I missing here? What exactly do you think MM is going to inflict on those people?
Same here. We are getting paid to learn and immediate job placement - what is the downside?
[ In Reply To ..]
Jealous much?
The downside is... it's M*Modal. Read this - board. Look at their track record.
[ In Reply To ..]
It's dismal, to say the least. Whatever your pay rate is at the start at M*Modal, it will NOT go up. It will only begin to decline, and your accuracy and production times go up. M*M has NOT suddenly gotten religion about treating their employees in a just and moral manner.
Again, please explain why that is a problem - for these trainees
[ In Reply To ..]
How is that going to be a problem for these trainees?

What exactly do you think will happen when trained, certified ... and now experienced ... coders start looking for another job?

Because the goal of MModal is to send EVERYTHING - overseas
[ In Reply To ..]
They don't try to hide that fact and announce it regularly. They have already sent the majority of their transcription overseas. What is left to profit on in the US now, except billing. The training is not limited to U.S. students.

You will study, work for them for 1-2 years, and they'll brag to clients about their great service and quality. You will be the bait to get the clients, all the while they're slowly sending it all out of the country. Then they'll slowly phase out jobs to the U.S., cut the pay, and NJA or QA fail you death until you quit. That's what MModal does.
It's dismal for them because their contract states - they have to work a prescribed - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
amount of time (1 year? 2 years? I forget) for M*Modal once they become certified. During that time they'll have to put up with all of M*M's typical b.s. Meanwhile, the field will likely become saturated, because Americans aren't the only ones being trained in coding.
Unlikely - and unrealistic
[ In Reply To ..]
These are all MTs who were on good terms with MM, so they were/are unlikely to be treated that way or perceive it as you do. Regardless, it counts as experience.

You greatly overestimate the potential for anyone to oversaturate an entire career field. It is much larger than MT and has a considerable number of routes into aligned fields, so people are always moving up as entry-level coders are moving in. Coding is not just the job these trainees are earning ... there is a lot more above and beyond that.

MM is not the only employer in the universe. That might be hard to see from your perspective.
Time will tell... - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
pay cuts, increased productivity requirements, - L&L
[ In Reply To ..]
performance management, nit-picking to death..just the usual MM stuff.

Aren't you obliged to work for them 1 or 2 years. How do you know you will be competitive for any work outside of MM after that time?

Please explain why you think they will - not be "competitive"
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't mean to sound argumentative, but you are raising speculative objections that, to me, seem to have no basis in fact.

How do they know they will be competitive for any work outside of MM? Why wouldn't they be??? Is this dreaded MM famous for brainwashing? For implanting hypnotic suggestions to compel belching and nose-picking in interviews?

What on earth could they do to render a certified, experienced coder unemployable in "any" job??

L&L always seems to be trying to stir up trouble - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
whether on the MM board, coding board, or any other boards. Just ignore her and don't get goaded into anything with her. She has nothing good to say about anything.
They may not be competitive because look at - the way M*M does everything else. (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
Look at how they've run their transcription business all these years. High offshoring. Low standards. Cheapest, fastest way possible for everything they do. Why would they suddenly change their modus operandi when it comes to coding? It's just another cash cow to them. They want it fast; they don't necessarily want it good. So my money says that's how they'll run their coding classes. Look at it right now - glitches and delays. It'll be interesting to see when these students finally get to actually start coding. If ever. And the fact that they're also training their Indians in coding speaks volumes about quality, as well. If a coding job has applicants from an accredited school, like Andrews, and from a rather fly-by-night operation like M*Modal, I wonder which one applicant they're going to choose?
You are seeing this wearing - MT-colored glasses
[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, the discussion is about trainees who COMPLETE the program. Until then, they should not be bound by any agreement to work 1 or 2 years. If the program doesn't fly, they are no worse off than when they began.

Second, low standards won't cut it in coding. Disagree all you like, but coding has a direct connection to revenue. It is hard to get paid, much less optimally paid, because the requirements are complex and change constantly, and because the carriers make so many errors.

Third, the types of facilities that M*Modal is trying to attract require AHIMA certifications. M*M also requires AHIMA certificatiins. It therefore has to train to those standards. They will shoot themselves in the foot to train less, simply because the percentage of uncertified coders will get too high. They can accommodate no more than a few by supervising them closely.

Fourth, the delay and problems they are experiencing seem to be due to trying to set up a training program from scratch. The first instructor quit, the second does not seem to be able to put lessons together, the software doesn't work, etc. With the delay in ICD-10, they don't know what to do and don't need the coders, who were intended to do ICD-10 overflow.

Fifth, if they had a training program in India, they would be using it here, not floundering around trying to invent one.

Sixth, they have a huge problem with using Indian coders in that AHIMA no longer offers certification exams there due to a cheating scandal. See my comment above that AHIMA certification is required. If they cannot take the test, they cannot certify.

Finally, employers don't much care where you got trained ... they care only about certification. Once the coders have worked in a job for even a few months, the certification will win out.

You know, you aren't a coder and don't seem interested in becoming one, so I have to wonder what motivates you to come here posting imaginary problems and misperceptions about things you know nothing about to discourage others.

You also mentioned "accredited" coding programs. Accredited by whom? If you don't understand that, why would anything else you say be correct?
Bravo! wonderful post MT Color Glasses - all of the above is so true
[ In Reply To ..]
You hit the nail on the head with all of your points. I am currently in the program and agree with everything you said, ESPECIALLY the 4th point.
I hope for your sake that most of what you say - is true. However, when it comes - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
to the snake-in-the-grass you're dealing with for training and potential employment, its history is not on your side.
I do not work for them, - sorry!
[ In Reply To ..]
You seem to be assuming that I am one of those trainees and that I am just making things up or repeating what MM tells me.

I am not. I'm someone who is familiar with the industry, looking at it from outside. I am just explaining things as they are.

I also have no stake in this and nothing to lose either way. My only interest in the discussion is in keeping paranoid nay-sayers from getting away with discouraging people who had the wisdom to choose to better themselves.
Choosing to better oneself and going from frying - pan to fire are two different things.
[ In Reply To ..]
8)
Nothing about what they chose is - jumping into the fire.
[ In Reply To ..]
Choosing education is never a bad move. Nothing about their situation could be construed, at least not by knowledgeable persons, to be jumping into the fire.

I think that most of the other side of this discussion has been fueled by sour grapes.
They have put out a full page ad in For The Record - regarding their coding services
[ In Reply To ..]
They are serious about this initiative. I challenge you to find a full page ad anywhere about MT services. Times are changing, MT is no longer lucrative. Bottom line, it's not about India. India is only a pit stop on the road to the death of the MT industry. If you had any idea of how much money they are pouring into this training program you might not be so eager to dismiss it. Additional equipment, training pay, instructor pay, books, etc. The problems with the program are not directly MModal's fault. They had an excellent instructor in place. She left, ICD10 was delayed and her replacement is incredibly short tempered and rude. But, there is no other alternative for now. I won't even start on the software problems and IT issues. There has been a deadline issued for the program now and things should be getting underway.

You are right, we could go to Andrews. Would it surprise you to know that some of the MT coding students HAVE completed coding programs? It is extremely hard to find a coding job without experience. You really need an apprenticeship program, which MModal is providing. It only requires a 1 year commitment on our part. The only risk involved is discovering you do not like coding. You should discover that well before you receive any bonus pay and should you decide so after that all you have to do is pay back those bonuses. It is a win win situation for me. I hope you are happy where you work and your current situation, because I know I am!
Just a note on that - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm glad you are in the program and doing well, and I agree with most that you say. I just want to point out that putting a full-page ad in For the Record is more of an indication of desperation than anything else. Those other companies that have tiny ads are the long-standing ones which do well. They don't have tiny ads because they can't afford anything else, but because they don't need anything larger.

Although it might seem to you that M*M is spending a lot on this program, they really aren't. The whole instructor, software, etc., problem is evidence that they don't understand what they are doing and are not spending *enough*. They aren't even close to spending as much on books and instruction as some schools. Even the delay in ICD-10 should have been anticipated. It should not have been a problem if the program had been structured correctly from the beginning.

It isn't hard to get a coding job without experience. It is only hard to get one without having to drop back to entry-level pay.

There really aren't hordes of new, but certified and COMPETENT coders out there looking for jobs. If there were, M*M would have been able to staff its program with them. They can't find them, though. There is a SHORTAGE of coders. That is what is driving the interest in retraining MTs.

They were serious about MT, too. And look - how well that turned out.
[ In Reply To ..]
It is a home-grown program, suitable to MM needs - L&L
[ In Reply To ..]
This company is notorious for screwing people over and has been sued more than once for such. Why would they bother to train you for something you could use somewhere else.

No, I'm not trying to stir up trouble. I have absolutely no faith in this company. By the time anyone finds out the outcome of this program, I will be retired and no longer care about MM.
Ahhh, now I see! - Finally! The truth is revealed!
[ In Reply To ..]
It is all a cunning plot! They are going to train them, but not train them, so they will pass certification exams to be CPC's and CCS's, then discover that they can't work anywhere else because ... bwahahaha!!!. . . they can't really code!!! Very ingenious!

Thank goodness someone figured it out.

Exactly what I've been thinking all along. Why - would they want to put that - S/M
[ In Reply To ..]
much effort into building a training program, only to have them leave for better-paying in-hospital jobs? If their coders are trained for working specifically at M*M, with M*M software, they may find it difficult to leave in the future unless they invest in more schooling. That would perfectly position M*M to start cutting pay and benefits to coders because they'd have them right where they want them.

There's nothing at all wrong with wanting to be a coder, but I see this M*M setup as nothing but a TRAP.
Clearly, you are not a - coder.
[ In Reply To ..]
Clearly, you are not a coder. If you were, you would understand that there can be no such thing as training someone to one company's situation so that they can never work anywhere else. That is just paranoid nonsense.

MModal encourages us to become certified. In fact, we - will get a pay bump if we do so
[ In Reply To ..]
we could go anywhere with experience and certification. Given your MT experience I know it is hard to believe but they do try to retain corporate talent. They will work hard to keep their coders with bonuses and additional incentives.
But it was okay for Webmedx to buy out MTEC? - just saying
[ In Reply To ..]
Webmedx bought out a transcription school and trained MTs on their platform and software and guaranteed them a job when they finished. It beats begging for experience like me and so many others had to do when we first started because nobody would hire us even after finishing school. Experience is experience and if a company is willing to not only pay for it but pay you to get it you are silly not to jump at the chance.
Certification for MM is optional, not required. - CT
[ In Reply To ..]
The MDS2Coder program does not, as yet, require the participating individuals to obtain credentials. They encourage it with the potential for increased pay, but again it's not required. For those individuals looking to get their foot in the door somewhere else, I hope they take the initiative to seek AAPC/AHIMA credentials, though I don't know that the MM program will properly prepare them for either.

Do you know if they are going to offer it - again to MModal

[ In Reply To ..]
employees?

More than likely. here is a link to an article by the instructor - Focus on Staffing

[ In Reply To ..]
http://mmodal.com/articles/focus-on-staffing-coder-retention-in-the-run-up-to-icd-10/

Similar Messages:

Did You See The Guy From India Who Posted On M Modal's Facebook Page
Jun 03, 2013

Vaseem Opai My only aim and goal is to produce maximum lines with 100% quality and make my center the top productive center of m modal and I will. ...

WHOA - How Come When I Type 1 Letter On The Subject Line Of My Company Email, ANYTHING I Posted On M
May 18, 2012

Went to reply to a company email and typed the letter "M" when a list of phrases i've used on here showed.    Some type of spyware????   ...

Lol...ad To Become An MT Instructor And They Will Provide You With A MT Education
Jun 24, 2010

Transcription Instructor and Will Train (Denver areas) Date: 2010-06-24, 9:43AM MDT Reply to: job-jeudz-1808559848@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] Part time instructor position Med Workshops' Medical Transcription School wishes to hire an Online Instructor. Great opportunity for the right person to work from home in the healthcare and education fields. We may also provide a free education in Medical Transcription to the employee. About Med Workshops Med Workshops ...

Are You On Facebook Or Google+?
Feb 08, 2012

I haven't signed up for either one yet (yes, I know what a dinosaur I am, Brianasaurus timidus). My questions are: 1.  If you're on both, is one better than the other?  I've heard Google+ is better, having learned from all the mistakes Facebook has made. 2.  Do you have any secrets for setting up your privacy settings, etc. so that YOU, and not someone else, controls what gets seen, and by whom? Really looking forward to your answers because I'd like to get ...

Just Read This On Facebook
Feb 28, 2013

KarmaWhen people insult you, don’t take offense, don’t take it personally, but do listen to their words. They are telling you how they see the world, and they are telling you the exact negative qualities that they possess. "The Law of Mirrors" states that one can only see what’s in them, regardless if it is what is actually present in reality or not. Release the need to defend or try to explain to them that you’re not being whatever-nasty-insult-they’ve-thrown-at-yo ...

MModal On Facebook...Opinions
Jan 25, 2012

Liking MModal on FB? Is this just another way to keep tabs on us? ...

Please Read And Pass On--I Put It On Facebook
Oct 09, 2012

Please Read and Pass On about this terrible, sneaky, little secret that most people do not know. Thank you for reading, as I know this is long, and I am putting my job in jeopardy by giving this information, but I feel that Americans need to know that this is dangerously and secretly happening to them. We, MT̢۪s, across the country, have been talking and have decided to tell people what is happening to all of us and our medical information. We are in fear of what is happening and are trying ...

Wow @ The Posts On The M2 Facebook Page
Aug 22, 2013

x ...

Facebook Page For MM India
Aug 30, 2013

The celebration of women my arse.  Celebrate this. ...

Have You Ever Looked Up Your TSM On Google Or Facebook?
Oct 22, 2013

I was curious what she looked like so I looked her up.  She looks *exactly* like she sounds.  Have you ever looked yours up?  ...

Nuance T-shirt On Facebook
Jun 11, 2015

Have you all seen the Nuance t-shirt on Facebook? "Skilled enough to work at Nuance, crazy enough to love it".  Too funny!! They actually believe it.  ...

Beware Of YouTube Messages Sent On Facebook.
Mar 18, 2010

I just spent 3 hours on the phone to get rid of a virus I picked up on Facebook.  My aunt had sent me an email to watch a video on YouTube, but when you go to it there is a message that you that you need to update Adobe.  That is when it attacks.  It sends you to different websites when you try to go to McAfee, Microsoft, etc.   It is called Koobface.  Be careful, I had it on both my desktop and laptop.  ...

Weird Message From Facebook Page
Sep 02, 2013

got this in my Other box Hi, Ms. ### I am a good Quality Controller working 10 years for transcription, and worked for M-Modal but he is subcontractor and paying me so less. Can you please arrange M-Modal ID or work for me....i will be very thankful to you   Of course this person has an Indian name. Says he is MT/QC at Pulstech Transcription, Brisun Technologies & Caren Technologies Past: job corps and Brainstorm ...

Transcend's Facebook Site For Editing Tips
Sep 14, 2011

well, someone finally had a good idea to try to help us, but.... typical of such boards, there is one busybody know-it-all that is dominating everything and she is the only one with an idea, the only one who is right, the only one who can do anything.  Must be nice to have such a superego.  Sue needs to watch out, this woman will be sitting at her desk soon. ...

Fluency Direct Quote On MModal Facebook Page
Jul 18, 2013

I use Fluency Direct while I talk with patients in the exam rooms. I talk to the patients and dictate right into the system. A lot of patients think it is kind of cool that the software is doing the dictation. When I walk out of the room, my chart is kind of done." KIND OF???????? ugh ...

My Group
Jan 29, 2015

I guess I'm the only one working in my group.  My volumes keep going up instead of down.  I'm only 1 person! Get with it folks! ...

Hey - If You Are In BR's Group
May 14, 2015

You can swap out your Memorial Day scheduled hours for Sunday, Thursday or Friday. Just a head's up!! ...

Holy Yikes..got An Email From MedQ With All Email Addresses
Nov 17, 2011

I am sure these are closely guarded as they would let MTs actually communicate with each other..and that would be a no no.. MTs might actually band together ...

Is Anyone Having Email Issues. Just Tried To Reply To An Email And It Didnt Work.
Dec 02, 2014

x ...

Group B Strep Or Group B Strep?
Jan 08, 2010

which is correct- group B strep or Group B Strep? thanks ...

Moretti Group
Feb 16, 2010

Has anyone heard of this company?  I looked through the archives and couldn't find anything.  Thanks for any information. ...

Concerns Group
Jan 29, 2011

I have grave concerns regarding our profession.  Many of you do as well.  I am not normally one who dwells on this sort of thing, but I have seen our profession go from being able to support myself to a profession of hardly making it.  I have had to drop my health insurance in order to pay rent and utilities.  At my age, this is not a good thing at all.  I have scaled back on everything.  The only luxury I have is I rent 1 movie a week and then only very inexpensive ...

May 1st.....FB Group Post
Apr 29, 2012

Not that it'll make a difference, but I posted https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=443628018984857&id=337068492974144&notif_t=feed_comment ...

MT Group India
Jun 19, 2012

Has anyone ever heard of MT Group India ?  I was contacted by them and I was wondering if this was a legit company. ...

MT India Group
Dec 11, 2012

I would highly recommend the medical transcription community, as well as the physicians of the United States stay away from this company.  I will not post any further info here.  If you have a complaint against these people, PM me privately. ...

How Do You Get A Transfer To Another Group?
Mar 13, 2013

It is just getting worse and worse. I work Th - Fri, and there isn't even any work on Sat and Sun! I hate giving up my weekend for naught. Fri is the only day I have been getting work. My TSM never answers my emails or phone calls. I sent an email 2 weeks ago asking to be moved to a group with work. After all, MM is hiring. ...

Got A Group E-mail From
Apr 07, 2013

and I thought it was going to be about the layoffs and some reassurance or warning, but it was about what all she was doing this weekend. ...

If You Were In The Group That Came Over From FutureNet
Oct 02, 2013

and you haven't checked your pay stub yet...boy are you in for a surprise!  ...

Has Anyone Ever Taken The Big Group Test
Feb 27, 2014

I've got one coming up, and have no idea what type of things are going to be on it.  The pay is good at this potential job, so I have a feeling the questions are going to be a bit beyond my scope. ...

Really?? Am I The Only One Working In My Group?
Jul 10, 2014

Really???? Dictation by a particular doctor who drives my count into the toilet and always has really long reports came up at about the time I was going to take my dinner break. Of course it was long, so I decided it was too long to wait. I come back 45 minutes later, and I get the exact same job. Really??? I usually get many of his jobs because I work the night shift and so does he. But really???? ...