A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Pay for the Indian MTs - gigo

Posted: Dec 01, 2011

There was a question about MTs pay in India.

It is generally dependent on the line count and quality.

Direct upload MT transcribing 800 lines per day - Rs. 1.2 (nearly 3 cents)  - 22 working days - Rs. 21,120 (around $600  per month) - greater than 98% accuracy (supposed to be)

Only professionals like engineers, doctors, some software guys, etc. get more salary than this.

Things are a little different in CBay (Medquist) India.  Irrespective of experience, the MTs are given a target of 1300 lines per day.  All the files are taken as direct upload (greater than 98% accuracy).  The salaries are around Rs. 40,000 (around $1000-1200 per month).

I guess the doctors are very happy.  If the quality is bad, how come they get swamped with jobs?

One request to all the US MTs.  Don't hate Indians.  It is your corporates that are looking for a quick buck and using the Indians.   Do you really think the jobs came to India to help India grow?

answer to your question - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Question: If the quality is bad, how come they get swamped with jobs?

Answer: BECAUSE CBAY/MQ EARNS MORE MONEY BY GIVING INDIA THE WORK!

Do NOT let your pretty little head get all brainwashed that you are SO MUCH better than the American MTs.

The reason you get work is PURE AND SIMPLE: Because THEY PROFIT when YOU get the work.

There are employees that may want to know this - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You should post this in the "Medquist" forum. They would have a FIELD DAY with it.

dont even get me started - elite bouncer

[ In Reply To ..]
I am an MQ MT. I do not believe for a minute that your work is "direct upload" and at 98% accuracy.

I also do not believe that you get the level of difficulty that the "US MTs" get.

I wonder how all the Indian MTs aren't teaming up and demanding the wages that we here in the states get. After all, why should you all work for 3 cpl when they pay SO MUCH MORE over here? If I were over there, I would form a "strike team" and refuse to do any work at all until they stop discriminating against you! Hold up signs that say "Equal pay for equal work" and "Global environment demands same pay scale."

But thats just me...

Direct Upload - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
It is true. There are those at Cbay that have direct upload, and there are MTs that are meticulous about their work. Quality is high. There are some that struggle but there are many good MTs working for Cbay, whether you want to believe it or not.

So quit whining and be grateful that you have a job.
I've read over reports by Cbay MTs who are direct upload - and just want a blank filled in.
[ In Reply To ..]
Quality is NOT high. I would say that there are SOME good MTs at Cbay, but MANY that struggle.

I've been QAing their reports for years.
Even they were good. Why would a US MT be talking them up? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
A US MT would not be saying how good the people who are taking their jobs were.

I would think a US MT would want them to get as much bad reputation as possible, whether true or not.

Are you a US MT?

Indian MTs will never "team up" and demand the - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
wages that we get here in the states. That is why it is so lucrative to off-shore. 2 or 3 cents a line over there IS ALREADY A LOT, and no indian MT is going to risk rocking the boat when they already, in their minds, make a lot.

The only thing that will stop this madness of offshoring is when the mistakes start costing too many lives over here. The thing is, how many will have to die before anything is done? I'm thinking quite a lot.

dont even get me started - elite bouncer - i am the only one here

[ In Reply To ..]
you are not the only one, i guess, we are both on the same path. digging in to make matter even worse, I am direct MT, but just for namesake, I get paid even less as rookie in this company... solution is only one, put your files to next level and eat up the company's money...becoz it doesn't make my payment any difference.. keep a watch on it..

PASS THIS ON UNTIL IT REACHES MUPPETS SITTING UP ON THE TREE>>>WHO CANT SEE DOWN OR SIDE.

I think the quality IS bad (Indians).....the work is usually first routed - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
to AMERICAN QA for final editing. Pay the indian 2 or 3 cents a line, pay the QA 3 cents a line, and that is STILL cheaper than hiring ONE MT at about 7 to 10 cents a line.

And I for one don't "hate" the indians--I know darn well the work goes there to MAKE THE COMPANIES MONEY....they are using the indians as much as they are ABUSING the American MTs.

Quality is horrendous - MQ MME (aka QA/MT/ME)

[ In Reply To ..]
When a client goes 100% offshore at Medquist, all the work that Indians (ILPs) do is sent to an MME/QA for 100% review at 4 cpl, and this is for a few weeks, maybe a month. The work I've seen from over there is awful. It is very rare to see a report come through with only 1 critical error, rarer yet none. More often than not, you see them with 10+ critical errors. I'm not exaggerating. The ILPs tend to use a lot of sound-a-likes and leave out things if they don't understand them. They have a big problem grasping context or, if a doc corrects himself but doesn't acknowledge it, they have a difficult time catching that. They have a hard time distinguishing sentence structure that makes sense. My advice to any United States citizen is to find out if they're reports are being sent to India and to read them, as one day they will kill someone with their sloppiness. I'm sure they have already, but it is probably pinned on the physician not errors by the ILP.

The client probably doesn't even know that MQ is running the ILP work though QA for the first month or so. I'm sure they are telling the hospital to evaluate the work for that first month and if it isn't good, they don't have to send work overseas. Then, after the hospital sees that it is adequate, they stop evaluating that work, and MQ skips QA and sends straight to client.

Do not be naive to think that the doctor decides how the hospital transcribes the reports. They may whine, complain and throw hissy fits, but this is all left up to hospital administration and, like all businesses these days, it's all about the bottom line. They want to save money any way they can. At a clinic in my hometown, they put a time limit on visits and a patient quota for the docs to meet. I stopped going there because of the "do you want fries with that" service and not getting the care I needed. Money trumps people.

Another note, some ILPs go through a couple of levels of ILP QA before getting to me. It does not help at all, not one bit.

And we have... - gigo

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the replies. Some people admit it is the corporates that are to be blamed. Some are okay with the "free economy."

Quality - When do we know the quality of a file is bad/unacceptable? When someone audits the file - be it next level or the doctor's office, doctor, even patients.

Offshore has been going on for the past 12 years. If the health care system had really cared about quality, and the transcripts were of bad quality, do you think this industry in India would be still growing?

And, Cbay, Nuance, Transcend (the BIG 3), and Acusis cover about 80% to 90% of all the transcriptions done in India. It is easier to get into Cbay as they just look at the lines (quality...what?).

I have to innocently assume the quality is good...as, and more importantly, nobody is complaining....otherwise these big 4 companies would have filed for bankruptcy

I had an account - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
that went to India and came back because the quality sucked!

No, quality if not good, which is why I have a job. I edit - the crap we get from OS.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

REALLY, REALLY, REALLY... - Dk

[ In Reply To ..]
Firstly, existence of company does not make company good, alright.

Secondly, your BIG 3 (Cbay, Nuance, Transcend)these are multinational companies and there might be every possibility that some Arab would be pumping in cash in these companies to keep them going.

Thirdly, do u know how many recruits these companies make in a year and what is their pay scale?.

Finally, If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. END OF.

At Q, work goes thru 2 levels of OS edit before me. I stll - see critical errors, BOS errors, HIPPA errors. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Gigo - Susan

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know where you got this information about 21,120 Indian rupees being an amount which only doctors, engineers, or software professionals make. Even clerks who have put in 5-6 years of service earn more than that, close to 30,0000 indian rupees a month.

No company in India pays 40,000 rupees to its MT's, average earning per month is around 15-20k per month. There may be a few exceptions, but average pay is not more than 15-20k which is not anything to write home about.

Salary levels for MTs in India have remained more or less the same, in fact may have come down a bit in actual terms taking into the account the price rise and other factors.

Medical Transcription is not such a hot profession in India and I don't think the total number of MT's is more than 10,000.

And I have to agree with what the US MT's have said about the quality of work that Indian MT's produce.....

I agree.. - EX-ILP

[ In Reply To ..]
...that MT is not a hot profession in India, in fact the current MTs don't see it as a career, just a job. They are having difficult time finding new trainees as they are interested in software and call center jobs rather than MT. I agree the quality of MOST Indian MTs is horrible, my dear friends from US, you cannot imagine how bad quality an average Indian MT produces, and how much difficult time a QA in India has correcting those mistakes, but that is no excuse for having errors in the final report. I agree quality of final Indian product is MUCH MUCH inferior to our US counterparts.

I think growth of MT industry in India will be drastically down in another two to three years as there will be no decent MTs and ultimately US MTs will get back their work.

My dear friends in US, I heard MT is not a hot profession in US either, and that there is problem finding MTs in US so the work is outsourced to India and other countries (of course money is a factor, but I think the gap is not much wide now). Its time you people respect your work and have more and more people in this field.

I think with more MTs in US, companies will eventually stop outsourcing.

Of course we never want you people to lose your jobs.

Good luck.

I have no irrespect for the ILPs - You are people who need jobs also.

[ In Reply To ..]
The Indians/ILPs are certainly not to blame as I would do the same in their position. It's the corporations who are at fault.

I also don't blame the ILPs for the poor quality. I have a hard enough time translating my native language with some of these dictators, let alone having to translate a foriegn language in medical jargon.

In any case, what you said about lack of US MTs is incorrect. More and more MTs are being cranked out every day. At my job there have been many who have been laid off because of not enough work to go around. Go to the MQ board and you see many who have no work. There is no lack of MTs in the US. The MT companies are making such claims so that they can send more work overseas which is much less expensive for them. I'm positive the clients who agree to this only get a miniscule cut of those savings while the rest goes to the CEOs of these MT companies.

There is NOT a shortage of US MTs. There IS a shortage of - US MTs who will work for MTSO wages. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

this is reply to the above - This is WOW package!!!!!

[ In Reply To ..]
hi muppet

are u serious about medquist india ... this company sucks ..tbh i am not even getting minimum pay in india ...let alone upload or so-called QAs ... what they pay is divided by 2 for line produced. Example: If u do 20,000 lines, irrespective of direct upload or through QA, what we get paid is 11,000 approx, which is half of lines produced, which will be 218.124 USD for 22 working days 9-hr shift. (here in india they do this, they wont pay us on hourly basis)..FACT

Join the crowd. US MT/Editors dont get paid by the hour either. - What other misconceptions to we both have? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

What's the condition like there... - Dk

[ In Reply To ..]
I dont know what's the condition is like in US, but here in india, they are here to kill us is all that i can say...if an MT gives 15 days of 97-98% consistent accuracy, then those admins (who doesn't even where the right click and left click of mouse is and they think they are the boss), edits the file and makes it look like 80-85% file and makes it no-pay. The next day, we get mail stating why did do that file so poorly, now client is complaining.. i m like .. what the...

i have even heard that to make quick money they even give MTs who have just been inducted, like they are live for just 10-15 days given permission to upload.

THERE IS NO HIDING AWAY FROM REALITY, THEY ARE HERE OR THERE JUST WANTS TO MAKE QUICK MONEY AND TELL THE WORLD WE ARE THE BIGGEST MT COMPANY IN THE WORLD.

Similar Messages:

Indian Vs US QA On ASR
Feb 05, 2012

I just saw a post from last month wondering about what the accuracy level is that Indian MTs have to maintain. On Editscript, expected accuracy is 99% and tolerated accuracy is 98.5%. If your job is marked by QA  as below 98% accuracy, you do not get paid for that job.  Critical/grave/major/minor errors are all assessed per job and factor into accuracy calculations. If you have more than 5 major errors per 2000 lines, you lose the right to work on an account.  Most Indian MTs prod ...

Indian MTs
Jul 03, 2012

Would someone please explain to me exactly why there are so many people in India that can to American transcription? How in the heck are they so proficient in the English language? Heck, 99% of Indian doctors I get couldn't speak a grammatically correct sentence if their life depended on it. I'm not kidding, I would really like to know. ...

Indian QCs
Sep 25, 2012

Does anyone have problems with Indian QCs (scores are good with US QCs), such as thinking that they may be deliberately marking errors where none existed originally?  I've tried to copy my reports to check against them when I get Indian QC feedback, but the platform won't allow it.  How does anyone else handle this?? TIA ...

MMEs On Indian MTs
May 04, 2010

Are any other MMEs out there coming across Indian MTs who conveniently leave out portions of dictation, because they don't understand it?  I'm finding words or phrases left out that are completely clear, but a lot of the time is American slang.  Other times, it seems that they make up phrases to fit dictation they don't understand.  Anyone else? ...

Acusis - US Or Indian ?
Aug 03, 2011

Is this company Indian owned or a US company? ...

Has Anyone Actually Seen Indian Work? Is It Really That Bad? Sm
Sep 10, 2011

In the past, it was stated by editors that the work was exceptionally good, except for some terms used more commonly in the US.  I suppose they have more problems on the consults, which is why I've been receiving 15 minute typed consults lately, but at least I have work.  Can anyone objectively state quality of Indian MTs work?  How many here have actually seen the work they produce?        ...

Just A Note On The Indian MTs
Jul 04, 2012

Have been working for a couple of months for a local clinic and there are 2 large hospitals in our area --- one uses in-house transcriptionists and one uses an MTSO.  I can tell without a doubt which reports come from which hospital.  The ones from the in-house MTs look like a user-friendly, readable report, and the MTs initials are readily available at the end of the report.  The quality is exceptional.  I know most of those MTs personally and they all have more than 10 year ...

Indian Accents
Oct 22, 2012

Does anyone have any suggestions to help with transcribing Indian accents?  Are there any special settings on Express Scribe that might help?  Thanks!  ...

Indian MT Pay Scale
Mar 27, 2013

As best I can calculate, the Indian MTs are started at about $40/week. This is not an error. I looked at both the application from Nuance (which can be found by googling) as well as the exchange rate. So when you see all the "extras" they are offered, try not to be jealous; they can't buy groceries with those extras. Apparently they are as dissatisfied with the management of the MTSOs as are we Americans. The question seems to be how many will continue to work for such low salaries and ...

Why Can't The Indian MTs Do These Crappy- Sm
Oct 04, 2013

Indian dictators and give me some jobs I can understand that don't have to go to QA!!!! ...

Interesting Conversation I Had With An Indian MT
Nov 05, 2009

I received a request to chat on my FB account today.  The person on the other end was an MT in India and he was essentially requesting American MTs to subcontract to him, let him do the work and pay him because (paraphrased) "even if the client doesn't wish the work offshored, there are many ways around this and no one would be the wiser." Anyone else had an encounter such as this?  I did find out he makes about $700/month working 6 days a week, 8 hours a day.  Has an ...

Predictions For MQ After Indian E-mail
Apr 01, 2011

Predictions, next 2 years for MQ: 1.  Another re-structuring.  Most CCMs will lose their jobs, to include middle management. 2.  All old accounts will stay in U.S. unless directed by hospital to go to India (like what happened to my old accounts), but here is the catch:  India management will push for them to go to India! 3.  All easy work will go to India - no exceptions. 4.  All new accounts will go directly to India and only special docs that the Indian ...

Indian Holiday This Weekend
Sep 29, 2011

The only reason there is an incentive running and there is extra work is because the Indian government gives their employees a week off for the holiday and we are expected I mean supposed to be motivated by the incentive to work it for them.  Google the Indian holidays for 2011 and you will see when our next incentive weekend will be- end of October.  Good luck to anyone working, you are welcome to the work I won't be doing. ...

Do Indian MTs Work Weekends?
Nov 19, 2011

My dictations seem a lot easier today on Saturday with a lot of good dictators versus all of the horrible dictators during the week and I was wondering if this could be due to the Indian MTs not working weekends, or maybe it is just my good luck today! ...

Comparision Of SR Rates Of US And INDIAN MTs
Jun 08, 2012

Simple comparison of SR rates of US and INDIAN MTs (M*MODAL) INDIAN RATES... 0.01492646 U.S. dollars = 0.82 Indian rupees Source:  Google. ...

Email/resume From Indian MT...LOL!
Sep 13, 2012

No, I do not hire or send overseas ANY OF MY WORK, but I just received another resume from an Indian MT with her resume and quoting 9 cpl, which is ridiculous. The way I have been seeing it, with their inflated economy and greed, they will cost just as much as we do in the US and ace right out of the playing field... Why would I want to hire an Indian MT for that price? I would not want to send my work over there no matter what price and would rather go out of business then give them even 1 repo ...

Indian Dictators Are Very Frustrating
Oct 03, 2012

Just wondering why there are so many Indian-born dictators here (with thick accents).  Most of the time, I can't understand half of what they're saying... very frustrating.  It's just one long blur.  :p ...

Sad, But I Have Had Good Experience With The Indian
Dec 09, 2012

Sorry - this was supposed to go down below in the Indian tech thread...   One spent almost an hour fixing my problem and wouldn't give up until he did. I told my husband an American tech would've gotten rid of me after about 15 minutes and blamed it on my ISP.  And these techs were very polite, whereas some of the American techs were very snotty and condescending. As I said, I feel disloyal to the American techs, but both of my OS techs were very helpful. And had no languag ...

Being Owned By An Indian Company
Mar 17, 2013

After reading about that poor Swiss woman who was vacationing in India with her husband and being gang raped by 8 men, does anyone else's skin crawl just knowing we work for a company owned by India and their total disregard for women ?? ...

It's Very Sad, But This Is Basically Just An Indian Company
Apr 04, 2013

When you look on FB and look up MModal, the only people who like are Indians, and the only pictures they have are of Indians.  So what does that tell you?  I definitely am leaving this field and am in a court reporting program, but I still have probably another year or maybe a little longer to complete and was just hoping to hold on to this job to make a little bit of money, but that's probably not going to be possible.  Very sad.  Thanks everyone for your tips about the ...

Just Had An Indian IT Support Degrade Me After
Apr 11, 2013

I cannot wait when I am finished with college. Anyway, I cannot get in to work.  IT tells me what to do and  tells me how I can change my password anytime.  WHICH BY THE WAY I CAN'T!!!!!  BECAUSE IT FRICKEN BLOCKS ME!!!!! Then he yells at me and cuts me down when I went back in to see if I could change my password and indian IT yells at me and states in his UGLY TONE (WHY ARE YOU GOING IN TO THE PASSWORD WHEN I, I, I, "ALREADY" CHANGED IT!) Guess what?? I wanted to go ...

I Did Some Research And It Looks Like The Indian MT's Make
Sep 06, 2013

about $3.00 an hour!!  That's working for Nuance.  ...

Seems Like Enrich Is Geared For Indian MTs...
Dec 26, 2014

the module for "difficult ESL" dictators, there are only sections for "Americanisms," "Hawaiian" and "Southern" -- If it were geared for American MTs the ESLs would be "Indian" "Chinese" etc.  I guess I'm just stating the obvious, though I thought it was funny....NOT! ...

Are The Indian MTSO's Doing Voice Recognition?
Jan 14, 2010

nm ...

Lawsuit Regarding Errors In Indian Transcription?
Aug 14, 2010

A friend was telling me that a lawyer friend was telling her about how he's working on a lawsuit dealing with all of the errors with the work that some Indian MTs have done.  He was very vague, of course.  Has anyone else heard something similar?  ...

What Happened To The Thread Originated By The Indian MT? SM
Dec 23, 2010

An MT from India started a thread, and there were a few responses, now the entire thing is gone.  What happened? ...

Is Focus Infomatics Indian Owned?
Jun 13, 2011

nm ...

MRI Of Brain Tumor With Indian Accent
May 15, 2011

Any help is appreciated.  I'm stuck on 2 words. 1. Sagittal T1-weighted images were followed by axial proton density and T2-weighted images.  Subsequently, formal T1-weighted images were followed by postgadolinium. 2. On the nongadolinium enhanced T2-weighted images, increase signal is identified within the left sphenoid sinus.  This is probably related to a transphenodial pituitary; this concession in this patient. I know these aren't the correct words but they sound ...

Synergy - Another Indian Front Company
Apr 28, 2012

When reading their website.  Little grasp of English grammar.  Misspelled words.  Typical foreign adjectives.  Bah! ...

So Now Tech Support People Are Indian?
Dec 07, 2012

Are they just slowly but surely going to have ALL employees from India? ...