A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How are people not making a living? - Ginger

Posted: Jul 06, 2012

THIS IS NOT A MEAN OR DEGRADING MESSAGE. 

I am genuinely curious as I have been with them for almost 9 years and have never had a problem netting (after taxes) anywhere from 13-17$/hour.  I only work 50-60 hours every 2 weeks and I am bringing home 550--800$.

I don't see how some people are working 80 hours every 2 weeks and aren't bringing home at least 1000$. 

when I workd for the Q - tmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I told them I didn't want to run out of work, so they gave me 2 main accounts that had work for me about 10% of the time, so they then dumped me in the helper pool which sent the worst-of-the-worst garbage from California to Florida my way. It's IMPOSSIBLE to get familiar with dictators/clients when rarely getting the same one twice.

Yes, I did contact my CCM about it, but the only emails she responded to were the ones that benefited her, like when she asked for volunteers or had questions about my former employer's dictators (the hospital system that the Q took over). When I had a concern or a question, I was left to either come on this board or just figure it out myself. I even tried to escalate the issue, but that, too, was ignored.

NOT TRYING TO BE MEAN, but does that answer your question?

yes, it does... - ginger

[ In Reply To ..]
I had that happen to me once and I put a screeching halt to it ASAP. If your CCM doesn't respond, go above her head and get what you want. You deserve better than that.

As I said, I tried that, but was totally ignored. - tmt

[ In Reply To ..]
so I just found something else (not MT)

My CCM has someone above her? - soapie12

[ In Reply To ..]
OK, where do I find who is above my CCM? I have no clue who that is and I really would like to contact that person. I too have a CCM who knows me only when she needs something from me. Yet, when I need something from her I might as well be lost in the desert with no water as I get no help unless it benefits her in some way. HELP! Where do I find the info as to the chain of command?
There was a link on the Q's website, but that was - tmt
[ In Reply To ..]
a few years ago and I haven't been back. I'm sorry.
Thank for trying - soapie12
[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate you answering even though you think it may not help. I did look there before posting but couldn't find it.
I would email Human Resources. - buddymt
[ In Reply To ..]
They should know or should know how to find out. I would ask for the organizational chart for your region. #1 is CCM, #2 is Regional Director of Operations, #3 is Regional Vice President.

well, heres my problem - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to work 50-60 hours per week and make around $1400. Now, I bring home about $700. That is the problem!

some people need more than that to live - working 2 jobs

[ In Reply To ..]
I average about 15 and yes I work 80 hours but I also have another job. My rent alone is $900 a month and when I was making $25 or more an hour plus OT plus incentive/bonus I was fine. Now that my pay has almost cut in half my expenses have not. The problem is the pay has not increased with the cost of living and in fact we have taken pay cuts and elimination of bonuses so now we end up making less than we did 10 years ago or even 5. We are working harder for less.

amen, working 2 jobs too! - REALITY

[ In Reply To ..]
I was FINE 3 years ago, myself, no issues.. doing great. Paycut by 75% over the last 3 years and my mortgage alone is $1,200/mo.. so, can't 'survive' on $550-800/every 2 weeks.. NO way no how.. I am a single mom.. so that says enough, I think!

Yep last year I made what I did in 1992. I cried, - then was depressed, then

[ In Reply To ..]
found another job.

Becoming an MME has almost destroyed my income - MME

[ In Reply To ..]
In order for me to make what I was making as an MT ($100+/day) I need to edit 3400 lines a day. Impossible.

It was put to me as a "promotion" - the day I became an MME my income plummeted. If I earn $60/day now it's a great day.

I hear you. - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
It really does not seem fair.

Can you explain why this is exactly? The job does look like - a promotion in the literature. (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I have not found that to be so - Drone

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I do get some jobs that I have to do research on to fill in multiple blanks, but most of them are simple, fill in one or two blanks, and we get 3 cents a line for the entire report.
Are you doing multiple thousands of lines a day? - MMEtoo
[ In Reply To ..]
If you're not, there is no way you're earning decent money at 3 cpl - even if each report only took a couple of seconds to fill in blanks.

To earn minimum wage in my state, I have to edit 300 lines an hour. How reasonable is it to do that for 8 hours straight? Even more so when you are considered a "bouncer" - bouncing between several dozens of accounts each day.

Even if you could go at it full force at 300 lines an hour for 8 hours straight (without stopping), that's only $90 income for the whole day. I haven't earned $90 a day in YEARS.
yesterday I did 615 - Drone
[ In Reply To ..]
but I also did 1062 SR lines and 370 MT lines. I guess I would feel differently if I was doing MME all day long.
So do you do MME for only a few accounts rather than all? sm - BrendaK
[ In Reply To ..]
Was that stipulated when you became MME?
nvm...saw below. nm - BrendaK
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Yep, just a few accounts - Drone
[ In Reply To ..]
Your routing may be messed up. Or your region is just so caught up that you are always in the helper pool? Do you know how to check your routing?
There are some that are known as "elite bouncers" - they bounce all day long
[ In Reply To ..]
There are a few of them on this board, a couple of other ones may chime in if they see this thread. They've been put into a group of MMEs that bounce around all day long - so they are jokingly known as the Elite Bouncer group. Ones who sign on for MME and never see a primary account again.
Must be nice. I get nearly all full reviews of Indian work... - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Lucky ... you get the big 4 cpl then - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
You do global work all day long? Holy smokes, I think I'd rather bounce.

That's *hilarious* - your post had me laughing out loud - anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
Hopefully you're not believing everything you're reading in the "literature" from this company!?

Holy crap I literally fell out of my chair when I read your post!
I'm part of an acquisition and haven't been with MM long enough to know the truth... - BrendaK
[ In Reply To ..]
Which is why I'm asking. Can you tell me your experience with being MME?
MME experience - MMEtoo
[ In Reply To ..]
You earn 3 cpl to "clean up" documents that no one else can - or will - touch, and if the 3 cpl doesn't kill you, the bouncing around from account to account will - I haven't had a "primary account" for at least 5 years. Every day when I clock in, I know I could get work from any facility anywhere from the east coast to the west coast. I sometimes don't get the same facility twice in the same day - or even in the same week. By the time you have dozens of client profiles open on your desk top and have to familiarize yourself with each new one that pops up, your 3 cpl suddenly becomes 1.5 cpl.

Oh - and what they DON'T tell you while you're getting your "promotion" is that the ASR and straight typing that you USED to get will soon be a thing of the past because 99% of the work you will get from then on will be MME work at 3 cpl.

Trust me - regardless of what it says in the "literature", it's NO promotion - unless you like working for free or fighting for your life to earn minimum wage.
Thank you. I appreciate you sharing... - BrendaK
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't imagine having to know that many account specs. My own 4 are hard enough. I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time.
Oh, it's not just me ... it's pretty much everyone who - works for this company - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
that didn't happen to me - Drone
[ In Reply To ..]
If that were the case I would definitely be upset. I get MME from my CCM's book of business, and every once in awhile from two other CCM's BOBs in my region. I also get MT and SR lines every day, and I got a little bitty pay raise per line when I became an MME. I wonder if your CCM realizes that your routing is messed up.
You got a pay RAISE when you became an MME? - how did you manage that
[ In Reply To ..]
The only way I can see getting a raise (even a little bitty one) as an MME is if you are making 1 cpl when they give you the "promotion".
they increased my SR and MT rates by a fraction - Drone
[ In Reply To ..]
it wasn't much.
You probably changed tiers? Or were you tier 3 before? nm - BrendaK
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I was a 3 - Drone
[ In Reply To ..]
was a 3 before I became MME.
You can only become an MME if you are tier 3 - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
let me add - Drone
[ In Reply To ..]
that this is exactly the type of discrepancy I expect to be eliminated by the new compensation plan. MM pays all over the board, and I think they are looking at that.
Are the differences in pay because of the acquisitions?... - BrendaK
[ In Reply To ..]
Or has this always been a problem with MM itself?
maybe - Drone
[ In Reply To ..]
I got grandfathered in at my old rate when MM bought my company.

you're probably getting more per line than they are - Drone

[ In Reply To ..]
I was curious about that too but someone spelled it out last week. The 8/4 pay scale (with very little of the 8 since almost everything goes through SR) really does come out to minimum wage or even less, because the pay for 1200 lines at 4 cents came out to the same as what MQ would have to pay for 1650 at minimum wage. Yes, the MTs could type more and make more, but those 450 lines between 1200 and 1650 would be a free gift to MQ. So I can understand why they wouldn't do it. I'd stop at 1200 too if that was the case.

MAKING A LIVING - Nature

[ In Reply To ..]
Well aren't you just so lucky. I guess some of us just aren't as good as you. As a matter of fact, I use to make $35 an hour 5 years ago when I worked for my other company that was bought out. It is hard to really believe you said all this just because you were curious and really concerned for all those who aren't making as much as you. I know my fellow MTs work hard, just as hard as you. Maybe you have really good accounts and don't have to sit around waiting for work. I feel their pain and sorrow for having lost their home, car, and barely feeding their family. I pray for them (us) all the time. Hold your heads up fellow MTs. I know you are really trying. I am happy for those who have good accounts and do not struggle, but please don't brag about your fortunate circumstances.

Nature, I don't think she was bragging - soapie12

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry you feel she was, but please try to understand it is difficult for those who are lucky enough to have been assigned good accounts to understand where we are at. I myself have 2 horrible accounts, they fluctuate to the extreme of lots of work and no work. Its hard to budget and I thank my lucky stars that I have a husband with a good steady job. If it weren't for that, I would be homeless and no longer an MT cuz I wouldn't have a place to work from. I will be praying for you hon as this all seems to be really affecting you badly.

I don't want to speak for Nature, but ... - MME

[ In Reply To ..]
...there are a lot of people hurting, who work for this company right now. A good many of us are barely hanging on and barely able to feed our families. I myself am a single mom who has worked for MModal for 16 years. A few months ago I broke down and applied for Food Stamps because I wasn't able to feed my son anymore. My rent isn't as much as other people's rent, it's $665/mo and I still have a regular payment arrangement with my apartment manager because I can barely afford it. The end of the pay period is Saturday and I'm already wondering what to tell my manager this time because I honestly don't think I will be able to make my upcoming payment. I honestly don't know how I got to this point, giving the best years of my career life to a company who rewards me with minimum wage.

Before anyone says why don't you get out of this field, I submitted the last bit of financial aid paperwork to my local community college yesterday to get into their Culinary Arts program in the fall - but already, I'm starting to obsess about how I will find time to work to keep up with my bills while I'm also attending school - my school work will obviously cut into the time I would normally be working.

I feel a TON of guilt for spending so much time typing away on this ridiculous computer while my son sits in the other room. Mom, can we go to the pool today? Sorry ... I have to work a little longer.

I know my situation is not unique - 99% of us have very similar stories.

When someone comes here and says something like, "How come people can't make a living?" and goes on to boast their hourly rate and how well they're doing, for someone like me, or someone like Nature, it's kind of like rubbing salt in an already wide open wound. It does feel and sound like boasting when so many of us are fighting every day to make minimum wage and provide for our family. I totally understand where Nature was coming from in her post ... it's painful. I think those (the few) who are doing well really need to be aware of how their words might affect the rest of us, and to practice *compassion* before they boast about their income to people whose stomachs are growling.
WORDS - MTFISH
[ In Reply To ..]
How about how the "words" of the disgruntled are bringing down those of us who are still doing ok, but waiting for the "other shoe to drop?" Negatively doesn't help or change anything and it often makes things worse as your focus is not where it should be. I will say this also: I have not read even ONE word about patient care. All I read is wah, wah, wah, poor me. I'm starting think some of this scenarios are self-induced due to a bad attitude and not focusing on the POINT of the job, which is patient care.
Your stomach isn't growling, is it? - then STOP JUDGING - Amy
[ In Reply To ..]
You have NO IDEA what other MTs or other employees are dealing with either professionally or personally so until that changes DON'T JUDGE.

We're all playing for the same team so it's time those of you who are MAKING BANK stop judging those who AREN'T. The system is set up to be inconsistent with some regions totally out of work for months on end and other regions working mandatory overtime for months on end. Some are raking it in and others are hungry. Do you think those who are making minimum wage LIKE making minimum wage? NOBODY likes making $7.50 an hour.

DON'T JUDGE.
If you want patient care then go volunteer at a nursing home - Still need to pay my bills
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry Fish, but my family comes first. I do my job to the best of my ability but I need to get through these reports as quickly and accurately as I can or I cannot pay my bills. Reality. The POINT of the job is we are paid on line count, the more we do the more we make.

After they cut QA from an hourly position Medquist/Mmodal pretty much said they do not care about patient care and did not want to pay for research. They just wanted production. Then they penalized the MTs for asking for a second listen. When the company puts patient care above production then maybe I will change my focus too. But if I do not look out for my family no one will and this company certainly will not.
Hard to think of patient care when you are making - $5 per hour
[ In Reply To ..]
I figure Vern can worry about the patient's care. He is paid enough to.
For some of us, life does stink here and it isn't just whining. - trying
[ In Reply To ..]
For me, my focus on patient care is costing me a lot of lines/money as I double check everything. That takes a lot of time and add to that my 60% pay cut due to their overhyped and under-performing ASR, I have nothing. No matter how hard I try, I haven't been able to succeed to meet or even go above the number of lines for minimum wage. If I was making what I did before, I wouldn't be looking here for solice and help from others.
to: I don't want to speak for Nature - woolle bullee
[ In Reply To ..]
last paragraph very well said....
I managed to go to school by changing my hours to - dnr
[ In Reply To ..]
the entire weekend and second shift. Unfortunately, after I finished school and my internship, I developed vertigo and haven't been able to work at what I studied for. I am so upset about that and feel rather hopeless. It's a circular trap because I can't go get a non-MT job because of the vertigo and can't afford to go to the doctor (even the low-income clinic) to try to find a cause or fix for this problem, and I cannot afford any insurance. To top it off, I sometimes can't do the MT work when the vertigo gets too intense.

I worked really hard between work and school and had to cut my hours to four 8-hour days to keep my head above water academically. If you can stay manage the grave yard shift, that would be closest to ideal because then you could have a little bit of time with your son. That is what my mother did when I was little.
Very nicely put - soapie12
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for this well thought out and written response. I only wish I had thought a little more before responding! As for your schooling finances, have you looked into qualifying for a government grant? I know there are lots out there, especially for women, but they are difficult to qualify for. Most are for single women with children and foreigners. There is also a grant currently available for those who are receiving unemployment. Don't know how long they will offer it, but I know it is now as my husband just applied for layoff unemployment and received a form letter in the mail advising him the program was still available.

Not all situations are the same - old and burned out

[ In Reply To ..]
It all depends on the rate you are getting as well as your accounts. I've been doing this over 40 years and used to make a great living. With the junk I have to transcribe now, if I needed to support myself fully doing this, I could not make it. I've asked for a transfer - no deal. They are already having trouble finding MTs who can do this crap and have it pass muster. If you have decent accounts, consider yourself lucky.

my problem - bj

[ In Reply To ..]
My problem is most of my jobs are about 30 to 40 seconds long and one of my accounts I have to enter in the first and last name, 3 billings number, date of birth, date of service, CC list and something else that I forget, all of which I am not paid for. There is an ADT search for this acct but 99% of the time I have to enter all this info in as there is not a match for ADT. Small jobs and entering a lot of crap in that I don't get paid for will burn you every time. Be very thankful for the accounts that you have as it sounds like you have it made. I was on another acct making pretty decent but then I got switched to these crappy accts and now make peanuts. This is bull crap that we are not getting paid for entering all this info in the ADT screen or CC list.

My acct was not extremely bad, although there were - edits to be made on each

[ In Reply To ..]
and every line, but it was the "other" stuff that killed me: The patient searches, finding correct visit, fixing dictated by and dictated for, referring physicians, date of service, and then the multiple carbon copies to doctors in outlying small towns, none of whom was in the database and had to be added, including the address and phone and fax number, manually. I could type like a house on fire and not make more than $10 per hour as there was so much information added that was unpaid on clinic notes that were about 2 minutes long on average.

Not making money in MT - Suz

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi Ginger! Thank you for helping me see the possibilities in my new career. After reading a ton of posts about outsourcing, low pay, I was delighted that somebody is successful at this MT. I am new to the MT profession. Will you be a friend to me, and share you experiences? I need someone with positive news about the industry--desperately! Thanks in advance for being there on this board!

I have no idea what a profile ID is or URL/Link--don't have one. You can email me or respond via this board. I will be happy to share more contact info then.

Not the OP, but are you young? - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are young and able to stand it for 5 years or so, you will learn a lot doing MT. Perhaps consider MT a stepping stone to something else eventually, though. It is a very interesting but dying field. I am training now for something else in health care, and my MT experience (even just 4 years) has helped tremendously.

no work - Suz

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not young. This would be my career. I use to be a counselor, worked in a hospital, and other roles. Jobs are not there for me now. I have a BS degree in Human Services, which doesn't mean much today. I was laid off about 2 years ago, and had a few straggling jobs since. It's been rough! I am about to take this course in non-medical transcription to add to my current skills. Any help you have to share--I'm all ears. What are you training for? I thought you sounded quite content. Guess-I should read further in your posts. I have to say I'm nervous about not having work in MT.
Oh, we have some things in common - Leaving MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I would be a happy MT if I felt I could make a decent living at my current situation (work drops off seasonally) or if I felt my current situation would be around for a while. As it stands, I feel quite insecure about it, and I am afraid that my MTSO will be undercut by a big fish and my job will be gone. I am not willing to do VR editing for 4 cpl. I am, however, enjoying doing this right now while I pursue something else. It is great for that - I have wonderful flexibility at my current MTSO.

I have a BS in biology. I used to be a biotech and GIS tech for the NPS. That was only a 4-year term, however, and I needed a graduate degree to move into permanent work there, plus the commute was horrendous. I tried graduate school for 2 semesters in ecology, and I hated it, absolutely could not stand ecology at that level. I was nearly sick with stress. I have also been a medical assistant for a surgeons' group. I did that for 6 years, but that was about 20 years ago, and I left that to pursue my degree.

I was just accepted into a surgical technology program and will start that in August. I am very excited, but yet I am cautiously optimistic about it because the market may be flooded with that here where I live. I will have to do exceptionally well to compete and get lucky with timing, too.

There are still a few good MT jobs to be had. You may have to "kiss a few frogs" first to get to that, but with persistence and perseverance you could find that right fit. I kissed some frogs, but none as bad as what seems to be described here on this board, thankfully. I wish you the very best of luck with MT. By the way, I have never had a problem getting a job working from home doing MT.

I think the only purpose of this original post was to - inflame people and get something started

[ In Reply To ..]
If the original poster is doing fine as she says and making what she is comfortable making, why on earth would she care why others are not, and why would she post on here how good she is doing? Just an attempt to inflame everyone and get some trash started. Just can't figure out why though.

maybe a sociopath? - no name

[ In Reply To ..]
Enjoys other people's pain? I can't see any other reason. Doing great? Well good for you. That doesn't get your heart pumping enough -- you want to make me feel bad? I don't see any other reason.

to: how are people not making a living - woolle bullee

[ In Reply To ..]
Would you care to expound on what type of accounts you have, % MT, % ASR, primary account and a few secondary or bouncing all over the place, line rates, relationship with CCM, etc.?

I'm happy for anyone who can make a decent living at this place, but unfortunately it is not the case for more than the majority of employees. Beware, though, your situation could change at anytime. Maybe your message is not mean or degrading as you say, but until you have experienced what others have it's best not to come across like "What's wrong with everyone else that they can't make a living," and I don't mean that to be mean or degrading, but there's too many factors at this place that are not consistent and unfortunately go against most MTs thus make trying to make a decent living impossible even though they are sweating blood to do it.

let me explain - disgruntled

[ In Reply To ..]
before this compnay took over the company that i worked with for over 7 years, i was bringing home a minimum of $1500 every two weeks...since said takeover, i sit at my desk a minimum of 12 hours per day, 6 days per week, and i do not even make minimum wage...i am on the verge of losing everything because of this greedy company

I guess what I meant was how are people only making minimum wage? - ginger

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess instead of saying "making a living" (which is different for everyone depending on their circumstances) I should have said how are people only making minimum wage, which in my state is just over 7$ an hour. Starting pay at the local gas station is 10$ an hour.

I do almost no transcription whatsoever. In 2 weeks I might break 500 transcription lines, which is about 50 per day. For ASR I get at least 1000-1500 lines per day and for MME I can get anywhere from 500 (if I am on the top end of my ASR) to 3000 (if I happen to have a day where I don't get at least 1000 ASR lines).

For this current pay period my stats are as follows:
Transcription 654
MME 9702
ASR 12684

I worked 52.5 hours and I am expecting to make anywhere from 650-700$.

I sounds like you are getting ASR of exceptionally better quality than most of us. - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
I have not been able to make anwhere near the number of ASR lines per day that you do. I listen to every word of dictation and have to make an unbearable number of corrections, including retyping a lot of the ASR output. ASR accuracy runs about 30% for my accounts. Since the beginning of the year, I have had maybe 4 ASR reports with the correct output they claimed ASR would give us, and usually those are from another set of accounts I normally never do.

I happen to think that is crap pay - considering...

[ In Reply To ..]
four years ago, before ASR, I worked only 24 hours a week and made $1400 per pay period. So that is more than 50% cut in pay.

Plus, I am not an MME which should be paid a lot higher than a regular MT, but what do I know.
i think it's damn good considering... - ginger
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't have to pay for gas or insurance because I don't have a car at all.
I don't have to pay for fancy work clothes, I work in my pajamas or gym clothes.
I don't have to waste time driving to and from work, so I get more time for myself.
I am not obligated to office birthdays, parties, gift exchanges, etc.

Well let me introduce myself. I am an experienced - MT for 25 years doing acute care,

[ In Reply To ..]
yet I could not bring home over $1000 to save myself for the last 4-5 years. I worked 8 hours EVERY DAY, took no breaks, had no visitors, answered no phone calls, quit eating lunch, and rarely went to the bathroom. If you can tell me how I was not able to make a living when I had been doing so for over 20 years, I would love to hear it. I have since left Q and changed to another job where they think I am flippin' amazing. I tried and tried to convince myself I was just a loser, but I had never been before and am not since leaving MModal, so I don't think that was the truth. They are getting a LOT of work from us for not a lot of money. Works great for the company, not for the employees. This is only a place now to make a little extra spending money at home, but if you need to make a living, I suggest looking elsewhere. Sorry, I got on my soap box. This just really lights my fire. I guess you are one of the lucky few who has a great account and can produce the 600 lph. Be happy and don't try to make the rest of us feel worse than we already do.

If your pay is really that bad and you don't like working here, you need to change your circums - clayfish

[ In Reply To ..]
ask for different accounts, be aggressive, find a different job

I am currently supporting myself and my parents, paying their mortgage, buying their groceries, paying my bills and i barely get 50$ to spend on myself, but I think the pay here is fair and right on par and I am actually making more here than I would driving to McDonald's

Your post speaks volumes - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It says a LOT for an industry when we compare our pay to McDonald's.

"I am actually making more here than I would driving to McDonald's"

WOW. Look what we've been reduced to.
That was in reference to people claiming they only make minimum wage - clay
[ In Reply To ..]
I think I was trying to say that I make more here without having to buy gas than I would at McDonald's and have to pay to fill my tank and only make minimum wage. I don't know maybe I was having a brain fart.

Thanks so much --- I DID FIND A DIFFERENT - JOB

[ In Reply To ..]
Your compassion is truly overwhelming. I wasn't complaining. I was stating a fact. Job stunk, pay stunk, and yes I did find another job.

This has never been a level playing field. Production - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
is based on workflow. A lot of variables determine how much you will be able to make. If I get even 2 to 3 reports from the same hospital in a row and even better the same dictator, the bump in my line count is significant. If I get the reports that have problems with ADT matches, poor audio, horrible ESL accents of dictators I have never heard before, bouncing with each report on a different account, the line count drops significantly.

I was told by my first or second CCM (transcription supervisor in those days) when I asked if I could have more consistent, better workflow (pooling) like someone else I knew had, I was told that it was favoritism that was making the difference. I was wondering how this can even happen in a virtual environment. Anyway, it became clear to me the playing field wasn't level and I had no idea how to fix it in this virtual environment.

I was also told that if you have special circumstances such as you described, supporting your parents as well as yourself, you may be getting better workflow (pooling)which allows you to make the income you need. In the past, they did tend to try to accommodate MTs and apparently still do for some but not all.

I think we as humans long for fairness and equality.

I couldnt make it on just this job - have a great disability check

[ In Reply To ..]
from my last job this is just paying some extra bills..Ill be retired as soon as my son is out of college and I can downsize everything..sitting here typing is just plain painful for my injuries..hoping to be done totally at 55...

Similar Messages:

Is Anyone Making A Living Anymore?
Jul 25, 2014

After 15 years I decided to hang it up and gave up MT work when VR pay was so low and the jobs were few and far between.  My yearly income was cut more than half.  I've often wondered if anyone is still able to make a living doing MT work.  I don't miss it at all, just wondering. ...

Is Anyone Really Making A Decent Living Doing Speech At 4 Cpl?
Jun 09, 2011

I am looking into to taking a second job to make extra money.  My main job pays by the hour as I work directly for a hospital and it is a combination of speech and straight transcription work.  Consequently, I'm thinking maybe taking a strictly speech job would be easier on my neck, shoulders, arms, and hands, but I don't want to be wasting my time.  If I'm not going to make any money doing it, why bother? So I would like to know if there are any MTs out there who ...

How Many Out There No Longer Take Pride In Telling People What You Do For A Living?
May 08, 2010

x ...

I Know How Some People Are Probably Making
May 10, 2011

ASR. They aren't following client profiles and not even reading the output based on what I saw on a report from today that I looked at! No wonder we have been told the client has been complaining about quality. ...

Do They Realize Making It "mandatory" Will Tick A Lot Of People Off
Mar 16, 2015

This "mandatory" OT is just the type of thing to tip a lot of employees to the breaking point, resulting in some quitting.  This will just cause a cycle and get worse.   I wish businesses were like pirate ships, where if the workers were fed up enough and were to collectively agree, they could mutiny and overthrow the captain, putting one of their own in charge who they believe would do better.  I don't believe there are many of us who could do any worse than MM's curre ...

People Skills For Work-at-home People
Nov 01, 2010

I have been at home working full time for about a year.  I have been an MT longer, but I always had kept a job outside of the home also because I like interaction with other.  I have found that I am starting to lose my people skills.  Do others have this same problem?  It is like I have forgotten how to really be able to hold a conversation with others.  This is something that really bothers me as I have always loved customer service and working with people and main ...

Cant Seem To Make A Living
Feb 22, 2010

I have worked as a radiology transcriptionist for over ten years .  My pay has been cut in half and jobs are hard to find. I take tests and no one calls back.  I usually only have their email anyway.    I am now learning acute care because it seems for last few years it has been the only game in town.  However, I cannot believe how hard it is and I am getting paid the same as radiology.  It's becoming impossible to afford to live on this income, but I ...

Can You Really Make A Living?
May 21, 2011

I just accepted a job at AllType and the majority of my account is VC.  I have not dropped my other position I had as IC and no VC.  I am wondering, as this is my first time ever doing VC, can you really make a living at this?  I know I will NEVER make a fortune at this job but an 800+ paycheck every 2 weeks would sure be desirable.  Thanks. ...

Can You Make A Living As An MT?
Oct 16, 2011

I am thinking about going to The Andrews School to become an MT. I have taken the pre enrollment exam and they said i passed with a score of 84%, which i think is pretty good for not knowing what im doing. But,  today i was surfing the web and seen a post from someone that was ranting about how the school is a scam and after they completed the course they got a job where they had to work 60-70 hours per week and only get paid 3 cents per line. So, i was wanting to know if there is any Andre ...

Can I Really Make A Living?
Oct 20, 2011

Experienced MTs please tell me, can a person actually make a living at this. I am a newbie, working from home for the last 4 months.   I am feeling very discouraged by my paychecks.  I am just barely making minimum wage after working a full time schedule.  I like the work, but if I can't support myself doing this what is the point?  I would love to hear from those of you who have been doing this long term.  Thanks. ...

Living In Fear
Dec 04, 2013

Just got e-mail stating I did NOT pass my audit.  i got 99.4%.  i have been with this company for over 15 years.  Lately, I stress out every day over this job.  I am sitting here waiting for a phone call from my TSM to discuss this.  I am quite worried.  Living paycheck to paycheck now.  Cannot afford to take another pay cut or lose my job.  If they do put you on 100% do you ever get taken off? I have slowed down and really tried to be more careful/cautio ...

Living Well Off Of Our Backs
Mar 13, 2014

How does it happen that office personnel get in-house raises and are making far more than any of us when it is the transcriptionists who bring in the actual money?  We are solely responsible for the lavish lifestyles of CEOs and the salaries of management while we ourselves make next to nothing.  I remember years ago the office personnel making little wisecracks at how much we made while some of them with "degrees" did not make nearly as much.  Well, I guess that has been fixed no ...

I Am So Tired Of Living Under The Threat Of This 99%
Mar 23, 2012

Either I am being targeted or I will agree I am on an account that perhaps requires regular audits, but I just cannot take it anymore.  The last two audits I barely failed and I now I am assuming I will be terminated.  We are encouraged to speed up editing and in the process we are most assuredly missing incorrect ASR dictation, etc.  I mean no offense to any MTs who work for this company, but I daresay across the board this company does not produce MTs who continuously maintain ...

How Are We Supposed To Make A Living
Jun 13, 2014

I understood the problem with this MTSO over the winter with the horrible weather, but now?  I can hardly keep up with my bills as is.   ...

Cannot Make A Living As MT Anymore
Mar 09, 2015

So sad what this profession has come to. I am 57 years old, have been MT for 25+ years, always been a high producer with good QA scores. I made a really good living until January 2013 when Nuance acquired company, I chose not to accept their terms of employment. Went to another US based company (?) part time. Just did income tax and was shocked. Needless to say, I will not renew my contract again. It's just not worth the aggravation anymore. The incentive and production bonuses ...

Living In Fear Of Critical Error.
Jan 24, 2010

I've got this terror of critical errors.  I shudder every time I check my feedback, if I've left a marker (sometimes I've noticed they'll check the entire report, not just the marker.  Guess it depends on the MME).  What happens if you get a critical error?  Are you back on QA for awhile?  Do you get nasty e-mails?  Do you get canned?  40 lashes? ...

Is Anyone Able To Make A Decent Living As A MT Anymore?
Nov 14, 2012

I quit my in-house MT job, a job that I had held for almost 20 years, a little over a year ago because of a new boss who drove me and about 10 other people to quit because she was so hard to work for.  I thought long and hard about it before I quit, but could not see myself putting up with her for the next 10-15 years until I could retire.  She was making some of us physically ill because of stress.  I believe we may have been "creatively downsized".  Since I q ...

Supervisors Can Make Your Life A Living
Nov 19, 2012

I have known this for all the years that I have been in this business, but unfortunately I came face to face, so to speak, with this problem again recently.  I stated a point to my supervisor by e-mail, and very nicely, about some technical difficulties I was having, and no matter how I would explain it, she did not understand what I said.  Even the tech told her that it was not due to my computer, but the connection I had.  She said she would call me, and I said I would look ...

SoftScript, Living Up To Its Horrendous Reputation!
Mar 18, 2013

I can't say I wasn't warned about SS, not only in the archives but by an acquaintance who'd worked there for 2 years, leaving a year ago. I took a shot, hoping they had, or were in the process of turning over a new leaf. It turned out to be the worst employment experience in my 20 years 'on the force.' I have never posted here before, often wondering if the gripes here might be limited to a handful of disgruntled employees; they're not & I'm living proof. I ...

Is Anyone Able To Make A Decent Living At Landmark Doing VR?
May 21, 2014

Over the past few months, the account that I am on has gone from being at least half straight typing to almost all VR, with only a very small handful of dictators that are still on straight transcription.  I am having a really hard time making a living since this has happened and my paychecks keep getting smaller and smaller.  I am wondering if anyone else is in the same situation, or if it's just me.  My account is a pretty busy one, but most of these VR reports are a comple ...

Interview At Assisted Living Facility For MT
Nov 19, 2014

I live in a very rural community, 1-1/2 hours from any larger city.  When I moved here, I thought I could work from anywhere.  I have been looking for a job for 2 years, but there has been no need for someone with my MT experience, and age discrimination is definitely alive and well.  I have an interview set up for tomorrow at a local assisted living facility/nursing home for full-time MT. I certainly have no problem demonstrating my expertise and ability to perform thi ...

Can You Make A Living Working For IMEDX
Dec 24, 2014

Can you make a living working for IMEDX.  They said they pay 4 cpl for editing and 8 cpl for straight typing with an 80% editing and 20% straight typing account.  That does not seem like you could make a living.  Just wondering. ...

Make A Living On The Futurenet MModal Platform?
Oct 23, 2013

Is anyone able to make a living on the Futurenet MModal platform?  My pay has decreased by 3/4s.     ...

IMPOSSIBLE To Make A Living Working At Nuance.
Aug 11, 2014

This is beyond insane. Why hire all these new people and pay for training and benefits only to have EVERYONE run out of work? It makes no business sense whatsoever. The person making these decisions must have received their MBA from a Cracker Jack's box. It's bad enough that we're being paid peanuts (pun intended), but to run out of work, too? Come on, people. Develop some sense and sensitivity. Thank you. ...

Tony James Is Living The High Life, Why Won't He Share?
Jul 31, 2010

I just don't get it.  Tony James led Spheris right into bankruptcy, and he is rewarded with the position of co-COO of MedQuist with a salary of 270k plus a 50% bonus if he meets his goals for the year?  Are they kidding?  We constantly take pay cuts so these people can live in their ivory towers...and our backs are their steps to get up there. When greed meets karma, it ain't gonna be pretty.  It is just sad to know that people are barely getting by out here in the ...

EScription Production - Makes A Decent Living Using This Platform
Aug 20, 2010

I would like to know if anyone makes a decent living using this platform.  Any comments appreciated, i.e., average lines per day, hour, anything to give me better understanding.  Thanks. ...

Pay A Living Wage, Stop Stealing From Us, Keep Good Employees.
Feb 20, 2015

There are all kinds of articles out there as of this morning in relation to Walmart's announcement that they are increasing their employees' wages. Wake up, Nuance, and stop being so greedy! Do you really think you can take it with you? ...

How Are There People With No Work, And People On
Jul 17, 2013

We have helper pools for a reason!  Sounds like some TSMs need to get to work. ...

Kidney Tranplant.....s/l "living Muraya Transplant"
Dec 21, 2009

. ...

Making Less And Less
Oct 17, 2009

First there was line count....then there was ASR.....now there is MME. Does anyone know how much less they are making doing MME?  I just started and I am not making any money. Who is doing the work on the accounts that we used to do? ...