A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Interview at assisted living facility for MT - a little help please

Posted: Nov 19, 2014

I live in a very rural community, 1-1/2 hours from any larger city.  When I moved here, I thought I could work from anywhere.  I have been looking for a job for 2 years, but there has been no need for someone with my MT experience, and age discrimination is definitely alive and well.  I have an interview set up for tomorrow at a local assisted living facility/nursing home for full-time MT.

I certainly have no problem demonstrating my expertise and ability to perform this job.  What I would like to know is questions I should ask.  I know you don't just walk in and say, "What are you paying?"  I would also like to know if I am replacing someone, and why.  Most importantly, I would like to know if this is going to be a long-term position, or if it will be eliminated in the near future.  Do they use EMR?  Will they in the future?  What kind of benefits do they offer?  I just don't want to jump from the fryiing pan into the fire so to speak. I feel like these are things I need to know, but I am not sure this line of questioning is appropriate in the first interview.  Is it?  How can I maybe ask without directly asking? 

It most definitely is appropriate - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Why waste your time or theirs if the job doesn't fit you..

your interview - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Go into the interview positive. Allow them to speak about the job and then when it is your chance speak your mind. Salary may be brought up when they describe the position. Stand tall, walk proud. Good luck to you! You can do this!

At the end of the interview, you will typically be asked if you - have questions. So ask then SM

[ In Reply To ..]
All the questions you mentioned are very typical and relevant. Sounds like a good job, I hope you get it. Please post with an update.

Interview - Good luck

[ In Reply To ..]
It's definitely appropriate to ask if it is a newly created position or if you are replacing someone but I would not ask why they left; that is between employer and employee and has nothing to do with you. Salary usually comes up sometime during the interview, you have a right to know how much you are going to get paid. Temp positions can work into permanent jobs, but that is important to know. I agree, save your questions for the end. After you discuss the job with the interviewer you will probably know what you want to ask. Good luck, I hope it is something you want.

Similar Messages:

Robot-assisted Prostatectomy
Nov 18, 2011

Has anyone heard of an instrument that s/l "ENSHEAR" (very clear -- not Endoshear).    Thanks! ...

Facility Instructions
Oct 11, 2013

Can anyone tell me what the MTSOs call the set of medical facility transcription instructions that you are given when assigned to an account? ...

See The Email About A Facility Closing?sm
Aug 15, 2011

Just got it and it is goodbye, you just are out of a job.  I don't think it affects me but it is beginning!  ...

PT Job In Facility Company Has Contract With
Oct 06, 2011

Have been offered a PT position in a facility that my current company does transcription for.  It is for MT work NOT sent out of the facility.  Do you think this would be a conflict of interest?  I would ask Human Resources, but... trying to stay low profile.  ...

I Am In The Cesspool Now. Feel Sorry For Those This Facility.
Nov 09, 2014

The ASR for this facility is even worse than my primaries! Gonna have a dismal count today - cesspool with its accompanying client profiles, mush mouths and doctors names dictated that I cannot figure out or find a match in the database. ...

Capitalize Urgent Care Facility?
Oct 12, 2009

He was seen at the urgent care facility becuase of his discomfort ...

Advice On Working On Facility Terminal
Mar 31, 2014

I am looking at job that I will have to use the facility's terminal.  I rely heavily on Instant Text and some word autocorrects.  They can upload my Word autocorrect but I have to lose Instant Text. Does anyone have experiences/advice to share about making such a change?   ...

Who Does UCLA Use? Top-notch Docs And Facility
Jan 01, 2015

A lot of these doctors were on the Michael Jackson trial and what company do they use?  Do they not set the pace and only use the best?  So then who is the best and what do they pay?  Inquiring mind would like to know, or wonder if that is a secret too. ...

How Would You Type....the Wound Was "VAC'd"  As In It Had Vacuum Assisted Closure
Sep 08, 2010

the wound was "VAC'd"  as in it had vacuum assisted closure.  This is a verbatim account, so I have to put as he dictates, but not sure how to type it.  is VAC'd correct? ...

I Saw A Report Today From A Local Rehab Facility
Jan 28, 2013

and it had the doctor's initials at the bottom as usual and then "MedQ" as the transcriptionist ---- so XX/MedQ.  This report was typed in the last couple of days, some two years almost since there has supposedly been NO MEDQUIST, but only M-Modal??????  Could it just be an IT glitch that has yet to be corrected or is there still some form of MQ? ...

Anyone Have Secret Fantasies Of Anonymously Calling The Facility--sm
Apr 18, 2013

and educating them about what truly constitutes a STAT.  Just because something is dictated by a resident does not mean it is a stat, especially if the discharge was 4 months ago.  Of course, I also have fantasies of conducting a class for residents, helping them to utilize their critical thinking skills and critically evaluate the pertinent information for the report instead of talking for 30-45 minutes about stuff that does not need to be on the chart for the umpteenth time.  If ...

In-house MT Needed In Huntsville, AL. Facility Not Named.
May 01, 2013

. ...

Ortho Question - "x 6 Assisted" IMN Fixation?
Dec 10, 2010

Dictated:  "The patient is status post (s/l X slash 6 assisted) IMN in October." I know of IMN fixation, but I can't figure out the X/6 or X-6 before it.  I don't think she means times 6.  Any thoughts? ...

Cant Seem To Make A Living
Feb 22, 2010

I have worked as a radiology transcriptionist for over ten years .  My pay has been cut in half and jobs are hard to find. I take tests and no one calls back.  I usually only have their email anyway.    I am now learning acute care because it seems for last few years it has been the only game in town.  However, I cannot believe how hard it is and I am getting paid the same as radiology.  It's becoming impossible to afford to live on this income, but I ...

Can You Really Make A Living?
May 21, 2011

I just accepted a job at AllType and the majority of my account is VC.  I have not dropped my other position I had as IC and no VC.  I am wondering, as this is my first time ever doing VC, can you really make a living at this?  I know I will NEVER make a fortune at this job but an 800+ paycheck every 2 weeks would sure be desirable.  Thanks. ...

Can You Make A Living As An MT?
Oct 16, 2011

I am thinking about going to The Andrews School to become an MT. I have taken the pre enrollment exam and they said i passed with a score of 84%, which i think is pretty good for not knowing what im doing. But,  today i was surfing the web and seen a post from someone that was ranting about how the school is a scam and after they completed the course they got a job where they had to work 60-70 hours per week and only get paid 3 cents per line. So, i was wanting to know if there is any Andre ...

Can I Really Make A Living?
Oct 20, 2011

Experienced MTs please tell me, can a person actually make a living at this. I am a newbie, working from home for the last 4 months.   I am feeling very discouraged by my paychecks.  I am just barely making minimum wage after working a full time schedule.  I like the work, but if I can't support myself doing this what is the point?  I would love to hear from those of you who have been doing this long term.  Thanks. ...

Living In Fear
Dec 04, 2013

Just got e-mail stating I did NOT pass my audit.  i got 99.4%.  i have been with this company for over 15 years.  Lately, I stress out every day over this job.  I am sitting here waiting for a phone call from my TSM to discuss this.  I am quite worried.  Living paycheck to paycheck now.  Cannot afford to take another pay cut or lose my job.  If they do put you on 100% do you ever get taken off? I have slowed down and really tried to be more careful/cautio ...

Living Well Off Of Our Backs
Mar 13, 2014

How does it happen that office personnel get in-house raises and are making far more than any of us when it is the transcriptionists who bring in the actual money?  We are solely responsible for the lavish lifestyles of CEOs and the salaries of management while we ourselves make next to nothing.  I remember years ago the office personnel making little wisecracks at how much we made while some of them with "degrees" did not make nearly as much.  Well, I guess that has been fixed no ...

I Am So Tired Of Living Under The Threat Of This 99%
Mar 23, 2012

Either I am being targeted or I will agree I am on an account that perhaps requires regular audits, but I just cannot take it anymore.  The last two audits I barely failed and I now I am assuming I will be terminated.  We are encouraged to speed up editing and in the process we are most assuredly missing incorrect ASR dictation, etc.  I mean no offense to any MTs who work for this company, but I daresay across the board this company does not produce MTs who continuously maintain ...

How Are People Not Making A Living?
Jul 06, 2012

THIS IS NOT A MEAN OR DEGRADING MESSAGE.  I am genuinely curious as I have been with them for almost 9 years and have never had a problem netting (after taxes) anywhere from 13-17$/hour.  I only work 50-60 hours every 2 weeks and I am bringing home 550--800$. I don't see how some people are working 80 hours every 2 weeks and aren't bringing home at least 1000$.  ...

How Are We Supposed To Make A Living
Jun 13, 2014

I understood the problem with this MTSO over the winter with the horrible weather, but now?  I can hardly keep up with my bills as is.   ...

Is Anyone Making A Living Anymore?
Jul 25, 2014

After 15 years I decided to hang it up and gave up MT work when VR pay was so low and the jobs were few and far between.  My yearly income was cut more than half.  I've often wondered if anyone is still able to make a living doing MT work.  I don't miss it at all, just wondering. ...

Cannot Make A Living As MT Anymore
Mar 09, 2015

So sad what this profession has come to. I am 57 years old, have been MT for 25+ years, always been a high producer with good QA scores. I made a really good living until January 2013 when Nuance acquired company, I chose not to accept their terms of employment. Went to another US based company (?) part time. Just did income tax and was shocked. Needless to say, I will not renew my contract again. It's just not worth the aggravation anymore. The incentive and production bonuses ...

Living In Fear Of Critical Error.
Jan 24, 2010

I've got this terror of critical errors.  I shudder every time I check my feedback, if I've left a marker (sometimes I've noticed they'll check the entire report, not just the marker.  Guess it depends on the MME).  What happens if you get a critical error?  Are you back on QA for awhile?  Do you get nasty e-mails?  Do you get canned?  40 lashes? ...

Is Anyone Really Making A Decent Living Doing Speech At 4 Cpl?
Jun 09, 2011

I am looking into to taking a second job to make extra money.  My main job pays by the hour as I work directly for a hospital and it is a combination of speech and straight transcription work.  Consequently, I'm thinking maybe taking a strictly speech job would be easier on my neck, shoulders, arms, and hands, but I don't want to be wasting my time.  If I'm not going to make any money doing it, why bother? So I would like to know if there are any MTs out there who ...

Is Anyone Able To Make A Decent Living As A MT Anymore?
Nov 14, 2012

I quit my in-house MT job, a job that I had held for almost 20 years, a little over a year ago because of a new boss who drove me and about 10 other people to quit because she was so hard to work for.  I thought long and hard about it before I quit, but could not see myself putting up with her for the next 10-15 years until I could retire.  She was making some of us physically ill because of stress.  I believe we may have been "creatively downsized".  Since I q ...

Supervisors Can Make Your Life A Living
Nov 19, 2012

I have known this for all the years that I have been in this business, but unfortunately I came face to face, so to speak, with this problem again recently.  I stated a point to my supervisor by e-mail, and very nicely, about some technical difficulties I was having, and no matter how I would explain it, she did not understand what I said.  Even the tech told her that it was not due to my computer, but the connection I had.  She said she would call me, and I said I would look ...

SoftScript, Living Up To Its Horrendous Reputation!
Mar 18, 2013

I can't say I wasn't warned about SS, not only in the archives but by an acquaintance who'd worked there for 2 years, leaving a year ago. I took a shot, hoping they had, or were in the process of turning over a new leaf. It turned out to be the worst employment experience in my 20 years 'on the force.' I have never posted here before, often wondering if the gripes here might be limited to a handful of disgruntled employees; they're not & I'm living proof. I ...

Is Anyone Able To Make A Decent Living At Landmark Doing VR?
May 21, 2014

Over the past few months, the account that I am on has gone from being at least half straight typing to almost all VR, with only a very small handful of dictators that are still on straight transcription.  I am having a really hard time making a living since this has happened and my paychecks keep getting smaller and smaller.  I am wondering if anyone else is in the same situation, or if it's just me.  My account is a pretty busy one, but most of these VR reports are a comple ...