A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Supervisors can make your life a living - Another MT

Posted: Nov 19, 2012

I have known this for all the years that I have been in this business, but unfortunately I came face to face, so to speak, with this problem again recently.  I stated a point to my supervisor by e-mail, and very nicely, about some technical difficulties I was having, and no matter how I would explain it, she did not understand what I said.  Even the tech told her that it was not due to my computer, but the connection I had.  She said she would call me, and I said I would look forward to it.  The next day, I got one of the worst dictators and all the reports had less than a minute in dictation.  This went on all evening with the same awful dictator.  This was not a coincidence, but very methodically planned out. All I know is that women in power can be horrible to deal with.

Supervisors - MTmadness

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so sorry that happened to you and I feel your pain. I too recently approached my supervisor, who is probably 20 years younger than I am, with a precise and professional e-mail about a QA error on her part. I know, I know, shouldn't have done that . . . but I just keep thinking we are all grownups and we all make mistakes, right? Wrong. The next day there was virtually no work for me. Obviously I'm entirely too idealistic when it comes to thinking we are all grownups.

What's really galling is these people get paid far more - than those of us who actually WORK for a living.

[ In Reply To ..]
Most of them should be canned.

Gone are the days of communication! - zipped fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
I stopped communicating a long time ago. Unless it's something that is on my evaluation, I just don't even respond unless response is required. Mind you, this is very infrequent.

Our QA is not real super picky about things that don't impact patient care, but I have seen incorrect edits on reports I have to send to QA for other issues. I document it in a notebook just in case I'm blamed in the future, but that's it for me.

Back in the day where you saw people and could talk to people and had a grip on their personality and what was going on in their lives and they in yours, communication was much easier.

I can't find a way to communicate without sounding like I'm a know it all that someone made a mistake and here's the documentation.

So I let it go.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm always thinking if I point something out, that I'm a pain in the neck and "who does she think she is." And they have the routing power, so... again I let it go.

I also realize they may be dealing with bigger problems than my petty gripe about maze versus Maze, but I have no way of knowing when is the "right time" to bring it up since I'm here and they are there.

So... I collect my paycheck and keep my fingers zipped.

Remaining silent is a survival instinct when dealing with the young narcissists. - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm putting that one on a T-shirt, or VERY large poster - smack-dab in front of my desk. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
-
Applies to narcissists of any age - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm.

I so understand because it happens to me - PR

[ In Reply To ..]
Working as IC, can send a note saying I would like to start a day by an hour earlier 1 day and you would think you asked for the moon. That email can lead to at least 4 to 5 return emails from her which you have to answer which means a total of, well you get it. Nothing and I mean nothing can ever be simple for her. Oh, but do not and I mean do not ask a question as to why the reports are not coming thru like they should. Then silence. I feel like I am talking to my child when they were younger.

I use the "Don't ask - just do it" strategy. - Let THEM do the asking.

[ In Reply To ..]

RE Women sups, you are spot on. - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been in this biz for over 2 decades and working for 32 years. With only 2 notable exceptions, all my women bosses SUCKED! I did, however, have some fantastic male bosses.

This is pervasive and not just specific to MT. My friend is a Math teacher, and her boss (department head) doesn't like her personally (has nothing to do with her teaching or professionalism or anything relevant) so suddenly next semester there are no sections for her to teach!!

There is something about women in positions of authority; they somehow have this urge to abuse the power. Ironic, isn't it, when you consider all the complaining women have done about men being in power!?

Absolutely agree - so sad

[ In Reply To ..]
I was in MT management for about 5 years. I was absolutely unqualified, untrained, and unprepared. I was a good MT, but, as we all know, that's not enough. Good managers are worth gold...they know how to motivate and inspire. I don't think I was ever power hungry, but I sure got out when I realized it was a bad fit and went back to MTing, where I belong.

I also have to deal daily with overblown QA who make me feel incompetent and with women supervisors who have somehow been promoted and are mean spirited and poorly educated. Geesh. As if things weren't difficult enough already. :(

I know it's not very "liberated" to say so, but I'd rather work for a guy. Much less drama.

Bosses - eastcoast

[ In Reply To ..]
Couldn't agree more! Maybe it is because women seem more competitive in general when they're together (you know the old saying about not going into another woman's kitchen). I worked in a predominantly male environment in my former career, and from experience, my female bosses in this industry have truly been the rudest and more about their own ego.

Have to remember, too, most MT bosses are NOT trained as managers nor leaders.

Similar Messages:

Tony James Is Living The High Life, Why Won't He Share?
Jul 31, 2010

I just don't get it.  Tony James led Spheris right into bankruptcy, and he is rewarded with the position of co-COO of MedQuist with a salary of 270k plus a 50% bonus if he meets his goals for the year?  Are they kidding?  We constantly take pay cuts so these people can live in their ivory towers...and our backs are their steps to get up there. When greed meets karma, it ain't gonna be pretty.  It is just sad to know that people are barely getting by out here in the ...

Cant Seem To Make A Living
Feb 22, 2010

I have worked as a radiology transcriptionist for over ten years .  My pay has been cut in half and jobs are hard to find. I take tests and no one calls back.  I usually only have their email anyway.    I am now learning acute care because it seems for last few years it has been the only game in town.  However, I cannot believe how hard it is and I am getting paid the same as radiology.  It's becoming impossible to afford to live on this income, but I ...

Can You Really Make A Living?
May 21, 2011

I just accepted a job at AllType and the majority of my account is VC.  I have not dropped my other position I had as IC and no VC.  I am wondering, as this is my first time ever doing VC, can you really make a living at this?  I know I will NEVER make a fortune at this job but an 800+ paycheck every 2 weeks would sure be desirable.  Thanks. ...

Can You Make A Living As An MT?
Oct 16, 2011

I am thinking about going to The Andrews School to become an MT. I have taken the pre enrollment exam and they said i passed with a score of 84%, which i think is pretty good for not knowing what im doing. But,  today i was surfing the web and seen a post from someone that was ranting about how the school is a scam and after they completed the course they got a job where they had to work 60-70 hours per week and only get paid 3 cents per line. So, i was wanting to know if there is any Andre ...

Can I Really Make A Living?
Oct 20, 2011

Experienced MTs please tell me, can a person actually make a living at this. I am a newbie, working from home for the last 4 months.   I am feeling very discouraged by my paychecks.  I am just barely making minimum wage after working a full time schedule.  I like the work, but if I can't support myself doing this what is the point?  I would love to hear from those of you who have been doing this long term.  Thanks. ...

How Are We Supposed To Make A Living
Jun 13, 2014

I understood the problem with this MTSO over the winter with the horrible weather, but now?  I can hardly keep up with my bills as is.   ...

Cannot Make A Living As MT Anymore
Mar 09, 2015

So sad what this profession has come to. I am 57 years old, have been MT for 25+ years, always been a high producer with good QA scores. I made a really good living until January 2013 when Nuance acquired company, I chose not to accept their terms of employment. Went to another US based company (?) part time. Just did income tax and was shocked. Needless to say, I will not renew my contract again. It's just not worth the aggravation anymore. The incentive and production bonuses ...

Is Anyone Able To Make A Decent Living As A MT Anymore?
Nov 14, 2012

I quit my in-house MT job, a job that I had held for almost 20 years, a little over a year ago because of a new boss who drove me and about 10 other people to quit because she was so hard to work for.  I thought long and hard about it before I quit, but could not see myself putting up with her for the next 10-15 years until I could retire.  She was making some of us physically ill because of stress.  I believe we may have been "creatively downsized".  Since I q ...

Is Anyone Able To Make A Decent Living At Landmark Doing VR?
May 21, 2014

Over the past few months, the account that I am on has gone from being at least half straight typing to almost all VR, with only a very small handful of dictators that are still on straight transcription.  I am having a really hard time making a living since this has happened and my paychecks keep getting smaller and smaller.  I am wondering if anyone else is in the same situation, or if it's just me.  My account is a pretty busy one, but most of these VR reports are a comple ...

Can You Make A Living Working For IMEDX
Dec 24, 2014

Can you make a living working for IMEDX.  They said they pay 4 cpl for editing and 8 cpl for straight typing with an 80% editing and 20% straight typing account.  That does not seem like you could make a living.  Just wondering. ...

Make A Living On The Futurenet MModal Platform?
Oct 23, 2013

Is anyone able to make a living on the Futurenet MModal platform?  My pay has decreased by 3/4s.     ...

IMPOSSIBLE To Make A Living Working At Nuance.
Aug 11, 2014

This is beyond insane. Why hire all these new people and pay for training and benefits only to have EVERYONE run out of work? It makes no business sense whatsoever. The person making these decisions must have received their MBA from a Cracker Jack's box. It's bad enough that we're being paid peanuts (pun intended), but to run out of work, too? Come on, people. Develop some sense and sensitivity. Thank you. ...

25 Clever Ideas To Make Life Easier
Dec 17, 2011

Why didn’t I think of that?! We guarrantee you’ll be uttering those words more than once at these ingenious little tips, tricks and ideas that solve everyday problems … some you never knew you had! (Above: hull strawberries easily using a straw). . Rubbing a walnut over scratches in your furniture will disguise dings and scrapes. . Remove crayon masterpieces from your TV or computer screen with WD40 (also works on walls). Stop cut apples browning in your child& ...

I Guess I Will Make It My Life's Mission To Warn Others About Omniscribes Sm
May 05, 2013

so that they do not end up in the same position I am. I entered into the agreement fair and square with no mention of having to wait to be paid, yet here I sit, waiting, perhaps forever. I cannot even come up with the $96 to file a small claims case against her until I get my first check from the new job. She sits in church and paints herself as this giving, caring, Christian woman, goes home to her nice house with 2 vehicles, while I sit here in my tiny apartment with my ancient car, wonderi ...

Let Us Be Civil To Our Supervisors
Feb 03, 2010

I think our supervisors are in the same boat with us.  However, to keep their jobs, they have to color their communications to staff (us)  in the manner stipulated by the company.  It might seem stiff, uncaring and absolutely contrary to the personality they present to the world, but they are trying to keep their jobs.  After us, our immediate supers are the low men on the totem pole and I believe they take a beating.  I can tell that by how often my supervisors change.& ...

Anyone Know If Imedx Supervisors Have Email Yet? (sm)
Apr 08, 2015

I do, but have received none since the first day I got it fixed.  Is everyone up and running?  Seems kind of strange.  I've sent some but not sure if they are being received. ...

Can You Give The Supervisors A New Excuse For Christmas?
Dec 12, 2009

Sick of hearing the whinny cry of I haven't even had a shower yet or I am trying to get into the shower (5 p.m. or later).  Did anyone tell them that they can get up 10 minutes earlier and take care of essentials rather than make me listen to how bad they stink?   ...

List Of Managers/supervisors In North
Feb 09, 2010

Where in MQ Central do I find the supervisors/managers in North region?  I can't find it --- guess I'm looking in the wrong place.  Anyone know?  TIA. ...

Does Superior Global Have The Worst Supervisors And QAs? 
Mar 05, 2010

If it just me, or does Superior Global have the worst Supervisors and QAs?  They all send feedback like crazy, no one is on the same page, they can't keep track of what is going on, beg people to work and pay them NOTHING.  I have never seen anything like this.   Who set this mess up?   Bad Bad Bad!   They need some people who know what they are doing.   The emails begging people to work crack me up.  "Thank you for all you do."  Thanks for that little sentence of appreciation ...

Nuance...are Incompetent Supervisors A Problem For Anyone Else?
Oct 03, 2011

I have been working for Nuance for about four months now. From day one, I have trouble with supervisors and communication as well as stupidity!! It took me THREE WEEKS to get completely trained for ONE ACCOUNT so i could start working. During that time, for 1-1/2 weeks, I was communicating with a person who I was initially told to be my supervisor to find out 1-1/2 weeks later after she finally emailed me back that she was not my supervisor as the account that I had been hired to work on ha ...

The Companies Who Recruit For Full-time IC's, Especially IC Supervisors.
Jan 14, 2010

If IC's are supposed to be available for other jobs, then aren't these companies just hiring for IC's as a way to avoid paying employee benefits?  How do they get away with this?  I'm disgusted when I see all the job openings specifically wanting IC's.  It seems abusive to me.   ...

Now I Know Why People Post Questions On The Boards Rather Than Ask Supervisors
Jan 18, 2010

The original company I worked for was sold to a big company and I had loads of unanswered questions.  I would call supervisor or someone who had been in contact with the peeps from my old company and ask away.  Now I find out I have been labeled a troublemaker because I ask too many questions.  I guess I would have been wiser to just come on this board and fire away with complaints, questions or anything else I wanted to know.  I know my future is gone now where I am. &n ...

Living In Fear
Dec 04, 2013

Just got e-mail stating I did NOT pass my audit.  i got 99.4%.  i have been with this company for over 15 years.  Lately, I stress out every day over this job.  I am sitting here waiting for a phone call from my TSM to discuss this.  I am quite worried.  Living paycheck to paycheck now.  Cannot afford to take another pay cut or lose my job.  If they do put you on 100% do you ever get taken off? I have slowed down and really tried to be more careful/cautio ...

Living Well Off Of Our Backs
Mar 13, 2014

How does it happen that office personnel get in-house raises and are making far more than any of us when it is the transcriptionists who bring in the actual money?  We are solely responsible for the lavish lifestyles of CEOs and the salaries of management while we ourselves make next to nothing.  I remember years ago the office personnel making little wisecracks at how much we made while some of them with "degrees" did not make nearly as much.  Well, I guess that has been fixed no ...

I Am So Tired Of Living Under The Threat Of This 99%
Mar 23, 2012

Either I am being targeted or I will agree I am on an account that perhaps requires regular audits, but I just cannot take it anymore.  The last two audits I barely failed and I now I am assuming I will be terminated.  We are encouraged to speed up editing and in the process we are most assuredly missing incorrect ASR dictation, etc.  I mean no offense to any MTs who work for this company, but I daresay across the board this company does not produce MTs who continuously maintain ...

How Are People Not Making A Living?
Jul 06, 2012

THIS IS NOT A MEAN OR DEGRADING MESSAGE.  I am genuinely curious as I have been with them for almost 9 years and have never had a problem netting (after taxes) anywhere from 13-17$/hour.  I only work 50-60 hours every 2 weeks and I am bringing home 550--800$. I don't see how some people are working 80 hours every 2 weeks and aren't bringing home at least 1000$.  ...

Is Anyone Making A Living Anymore?
Jul 25, 2014

After 15 years I decided to hang it up and gave up MT work when VR pay was so low and the jobs were few and far between.  My yearly income was cut more than half.  I've often wondered if anyone is still able to make a living doing MT work.  I don't miss it at all, just wondering. ...

Living In Fear Of Critical Error.
Jan 24, 2010

I've got this terror of critical errors.  I shudder every time I check my feedback, if I've left a marker (sometimes I've noticed they'll check the entire report, not just the marker.  Guess it depends on the MME).  What happens if you get a critical error?  Are you back on QA for awhile?  Do you get nasty e-mails?  Do you get canned?  40 lashes? ...

Is Anyone Really Making A Decent Living Doing Speech At 4 Cpl?
Jun 09, 2011

I am looking into to taking a second job to make extra money.  My main job pays by the hour as I work directly for a hospital and it is a combination of speech and straight transcription work.  Consequently, I'm thinking maybe taking a strictly speech job would be easier on my neck, shoulders, arms, and hands, but I don't want to be wasting my time.  If I'm not going to make any money doing it, why bother? So I would like to know if there are any MTs out there who ...

SoftScript, Living Up To Its Horrendous Reputation!
Mar 18, 2013

I can't say I wasn't warned about SS, not only in the archives but by an acquaintance who'd worked there for 2 years, leaving a year ago. I took a shot, hoping they had, or were in the process of turning over a new leaf. It turned out to be the worst employment experience in my 20 years 'on the force.' I have never posted here before, often wondering if the gripes here might be limited to a handful of disgruntled employees; they're not & I'm living proof. I ...