A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

putting a video on YouTube.com concerning our problems - Need a raise

Posted: Sep 03, 2010

Has anyone thought about putting a video on YouTube.com concerning our problems with low wages and sweat shop environment?

Sweat shop environment?? You are in your own home!! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Doesnt matter if UR at home or a factory. A sweat- - shop is still a sweatshop. (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
Overworked - CHECK!
Underpaid - CHECK!
Cheated out of pay - CHECK!
Treated like crap - CHECK!
Considered subhuman - CHECK!
Dead-end job - CHECK!
Greedy, dishonest bosses - CHECK!

The list is much longer than that - I'm sure lots of you can think of more to add.

Medical transcription IS a sweatshop if ever there was one.

And I am sure you are actively working to leave this profession you - have such a low opinion of. Right? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
You better believe it! - The Third World can have these scam jobs.
[ In Reply To ..]
>
Goodbye, then. Good luck. NM - Nuff Said.
[ In Reply To ..]
x

The main definer would be production-based pay - = sweatshop.

[ In Reply To ..]
imo
to clarify: production-based pay that's not fairly compensated. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
And that, my friends, describes medical transcription - in a nutshell. NOT FAIRLY COMPENSATED.
[ In Reply To ..]

You need to make better choices - it seems

[ In Reply To ..]
Mine?

Overworked? Nope.
Underpaid? Nope.
Cheated? Nope.
Subhuman? Nope. (Nor would I ever allow that)
Dead-end? Nope.
Greed? Nope... well unless you count my motivation for doing a professional job for the highest pay I'm able to garner greedy, then I guess *I* am greedy.

My work environment is beautiful, with lots of plants, furry critters, and huge windows- currently all open with a balmy breeze flowing through.

I feel sad for you that you're so miserable in your job. Maybe it's time to make some changes so you can feel better. Good luck!!
Thank you! - Happy MT Robin
[ In Reply To ..]
Sweat shop? Not by a long shot. I get that there are a lot of people on this board who are incredibly unhappy. Do something about your situation before your soul dies.

Not all of us in this field, though, are miserable. I certainly am not and I DEFINITELY do not make sweat shop wages. I have two jobs (because I've ALWAYS had two jobs in any career I've had); one is IC and one is employee and they both pay a very similar line rate. I can tell you that I make substantially above minimum wage and in no way shape or form would my situation be considered even remotely close to a sweat shop. I love my job(s).

I'm not a suit and I mean no disrespect to anyone when I say this: If you are this unhappy, please, do yourself a favor and get out. You do no good to anyone with that state of mind.
Good for you. Lets just hope your luck holds. - For lots of us, it has run out.
[ In Reply To ..]
Luck has NO part of it for It Seems, HappyMT, or me. - Sigh
[ In Reply To ..]
We all work hard and smart and are still doing okay, even with some cuts--as are many MT/editors.

Then there are others.

Some people failing are working but lack what it takes to make a living at this. (Among others, these include good MTs who are not good editors.) They need to cut their losses short and move on to something that suits their talents. Is this you? Clue: Home feels like a sweatshop, working long dedicated hours for very little.

A very few are working hard and smart and could make an adequate income but currently failing for other reasons they can't control. (Such as clinic workers who haven't found acute care employment yet or mothers of triplet toddlers.) Best wishes to and sincere hopes for the future--in this or another field.

A whole bunch are failing because they
don't work hard,
and/or don't work their assigned hours,
and/or don't try to improve their speed,
and/or don't learn new skills such as editing,
and/or produce sloppy work,
and/or lie to themselves about why they are not doing well.

This last group should get out for everyone's benefit. My condolences to whoever's unfortunate to employ them. Is this you? Clue, any of the following is a bad sign:
You tend to believe your problems are all someone else's fault.
You have fewer than 10,000 entries in your expander, or no expander (exception: you type 125+ WPM without one).
You like to believe everyone who says she's doing well is lying.
You have no plan to get faster so you can make more money.
You sort of had a plan but never set a goal and stuck with it.
You do not work the number of hours you were hired to.
Every workplace feels like a sweatshop to you.
The thought of working makes you sweat.
You just spent most of an hour here complaining and being reassured by other complainers that your low income's really all someone else's fault.

Luck does to have a factor in it - 50k last year - 25k this year
[ In Reply To ..]
I had a good account last year. I had learned all the tricks to streamline my work, got used to the docs and was doing great. My boss said I was the highest producer she had. Then the account went poof! and disappeared.

They gave me a crappy primary where you have to go through 13 time-consuming little steps for each job (example: Look up job number and type it at the bottom of the report), and each job is tiny so you can type all day and not get squat for lines. Half the time it runs out of work, then I randomly get to type 5 secondaries, horrible audio, heavy ESL, diffent rules for each, have to stop and raise or lower the volume on each one as each doc either shouts or whispers, and punch in and out between each job because half are paid one way and half another....

Anyway, all of these factors have added up to a much smaller paycheck. Strive as I might, I can't get up to the production I had last year. I'm trying to find another job because I can see they have effectly broken my productivity by bombarding me with "variety", and they refuse to give me a different, more lucrative primary.
Condolences. I also waited way too long before finding a new job - and lost a lot of money too. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Sweat Shop - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with Happy MT Robin. I don't make a big bunch of money, mostly because it is my fault for getting distracted. Just need to focus more, which I will do when I start my new job away from WMX. I have been an MT for 25+ years and pay has never been great and yes, I get discouraged sometimes. I also know a lot of it is my own fault. I definitely do not live in a sweat shop, more like a mad house, but I love it that way. So, if your unhappy, do something else. It ticks me off when people complain about their jobs, but don't do anything about it. Don't like it, LEAVE!
I agree - DA
[ In Reply To ..]
Well said, my sentiments EXACTLY!

I work in a beautiful home environment - nothing about it is a sweatshop - I love it!

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

My little office is prettier than yours, I bet! :) - Love Working at Home NM

[ In Reply To ..]
(key word: WORKING).

see, now, that's the thing...you just can't be a concrete thinker here. - N/M

[ In Reply To ..]

couple of problems with this - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
First and foremost, nobody is forcing you to work in whatever environment you think is a sweat shop. Do you even know what a sweat shop is? As for the wages...the country is changing. Until the economy changes that won't change.

Nobody cares about the YouTube things. Do you think people are going to look at you sitting in your own home working on your own computer are going to be interested that your not happy with your job. What would you do that you think the whole country would feel bad for you. Have you seen the conditions of sweat shops. It's a horrible life and I would never compare our jobs to the horrible conditions they suffer with.

We get up, turn our computers on and pick up our work. That's not what a sweat shop is.

There is no way on earth a real MT would condone - the way things are. Only an MTSO would.

[ In Reply To ..]
You might as well give up trying to put any kind of a positive spin on the current state of affairs in MT. Scams, Ponzie schemes, pyramid schemes, work-at-home ripoffs, and so-called "business schools" (that really aren't) eventually run their course. They can't feed of human gullibility or worse, human desperation for a living, for very long.

Just because we weren't bought and sold physically, doesn't mean we haven't been bought and sold figuratively or virtually. I know that, and you, as an MTSO or worse, MTSO management, know it as well.

Just because it's happening here in the U.S., or in people's homes, doesn't make it any less of a sweatshop. It's just a different kind.

And finally, since all you Suities are pushing for 100% offshore anyway, then FACE IT: A sweatshop is exactly what you all want.

You know what they say about assumptions - Hows that working out for ya

[ In Reply To ..]
Not too good I see.

Just because someone likes their job does not make them an MTSO.

That is an assumption of the worst kind.

"We simply assume that the way we see things is the way they really are or the way they should be. And our attitudes and behaviors grow out of these assumptions" - Steven R. Covey.
Whatever floats your boat. - }:p
[ In Reply To ..]
Got paranoia? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Can you only speak in cliches? Have you no original - thoughts? nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I see you didn't read my post - Go figure
[ In Reply To ..]
Since you didn't bother to read my post I'll repeat.

"Just because someone likes their job does not make them an MTSO."

And...from the post I wrote below -

"I don't really think I made that clear in my message. I just don't think anyone cares whether or not we are happy with our jobs. First, I am not an MTSO (and I don't really care whether people believe me or not - as I'm sure anyone with a brain can tell I do not write like some fancy schmancy person with a degree. Just a plain ol person trying to keep afloat and hang onto my job). Besides, you couldn't pay me to do what they do, and personally I really don't think they are hanging around this page replying to everyone like one poster seems to think. So...nope, just a little MT with a crappy paycheck like everyone else, but I like my job so there really is no need for me to bash-n-trash it. Not every MT that likes their job is an MTSO. I surely do not get paid what I used to get working at a hospital or at the clinic, but the economy is changing.

I think what I was trying to get across in my last message is that the country doesn't care if an MT is unhappy with their job. I really don't think anyone would consider what we do a "sweat shop" only other unhappy MTs. I'm sure if you put it on youtube there would be a lot of people who say, hey, I can't find work I'd love to do what he/she does. We are the only ones who know or care about the ups and downs of our job.

I myself work at my home, sometimes I log on and there is no work. Other times I have a lot of work. I like what I do, but if I didn't I'm the only one who can change that. I don't think anyone out in youtube land is going to care whether or not I'm happy with my job because there are a lot of people without work and I really don't think there is anything that can be said or done on youtube that would give the impression we work in a sweatshop.

Of course everyone is different, maybe there is something unique to your situation that people would watch it and go "OMG that is just horrible, I don't know how someone can work in those conditions", but maybe your situation is much different than mine and a lot of other MTs. So if you do go ahead with it I'd be interested to know how you would make it appealing for others to watch.

P.S. to the poster who wrote the snide remark claiming to know that I am an MTSO - First, not everyone who is happy doing their job is an MTSO. Second if I was an MTSO I sure wouldn't be hanging out on this board. Third a statement like that reminds me of that saying by Alan Alda -

âBegin challenging your own assumptions. Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in awhile, or the light won't come in.â

So...you don't have anything to say about the content of the message or anything to add to the original message I replied to? - Go figure

Looks like you're the one with no original thought.

What is a sweatshop - flmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Working at home is irrelevant. It has perks and cuts down on some expenses, but...

Piecework equals sweatshop in modern workplace definition.

If one works in any other environment other than production/piecework, they are inclusively paid for bathroom breaks, conversions not related to work, a walk to the water cooler, etc.

The company I work for allows and encourages the MT to "stop the clock" for anything not related to work.

Good for the MT, like me, who wants to makes as much as possible in their 8 hours. Pure production for MT and MTSO.

Now... imagine any other occpation. Choose one. Can you imagine an employer who stops the clock when the employee does the following: Goes to the the bathroom. Clock stops. No pay. They take a call from their spouse or child returning from school. Clock stops. They just need to step back. Clock stops. Frank wants to have a conversation about last night's game. Clock stops.

Imagine how long they'd be stuck at the office. OR they can keep the clock running and make way less.

Sweatshop is not defined by physical conditions (sweat), but by employer exploiting the employee by paying only by the piece and not compensating for anything else.

I'm hoping things somehow might change for the future generation of MTs, but it actually seems to be going in reverse.

At any rate, my point was that, by definition and under most circumstances, even if we are in Maine, we are still in the sweatshop.

Right on! Plus all the freebies they demand - we do on our own time

[ In Reply To ..]
Here's only a few freebies they demanded of me this week!

Computer program down? Call the help desk on your own time. Sit around for 3 hours waiting for them to fix it on your own time.

Got a zillion emails? Read them on your own time.

Client's password expiring? Call them on your own time.

Companywide recorded message? Listen to it on your own time.

Client changed account specifics AGAIN. Hurry up and read them on your own time.

AND ALL OF THESE THINGS ARE DIRECTLY WORK RELATED. Nobody that works inhouse or in an office would EVER be expected to do this stuff unpaid.
So why do you put up with it? - Seems they take advantage of you because you allow
[ In Reply To ..]
Seems to me many MTs on the board have no self-esteem and allow themselves to be taken advantage of. I have had crummy jobs as you describe, and you know what? I quit. I refuse to work for a wage I feel is unfair or not reflective of my skills. Seems some MTs would rather waste their time coming up with excuses as to why they are "stuck" in their situation instead of trying to move on to something better. You are the only one to blame for the situation you are in and the only one who can change it.
So true!. You go girl. SIng it, sista. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Most of us here arent so dumb as to quit before we - have something else lined up.
[ In Reply To ..]
Did I say to quit before you have another job? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I also would never call anyone dumb. Just seems that too many here waste so much energy complaining about their current situation and make all kinds of excuses of why they are too helpless to change it. If they spent that same amount of time and energy on coming up with another plan of action, they would be much more successful. I have been down and out plenty of times in my life, so I understand how it feels. What I don't understand is keeping yourself in that situation. At some point, you have to stop feeling sorry for yourself and work towards something better.
And did I say anyone is stuck in MT at this moment - (not tomorrow, or next year) by choice?
[ In Reply To ..]
One of first things that should be learned by MT is NEVER - quit a job until you have another lined up. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

If I felt that way, I would do something else in a heartbeat - Wishing you the best!

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Must be nice to actually enjoy being $crewed. - nmsg
[ In Reply To ..]
Sometimes. - teehee
[ In Reply To ..]
x
How crass you are...no wonder youre so miserable - Disgusted
[ In Reply To ..]
You're a hateful piece of work. I'm glad I wouldn't have to do deal with the likes of you on a daily basis in an office setting. *shudder*

You go out of your way to hurl the lowest insults you can get away with from the safety of your computer cloaked in anonymity and inject your venom into nearly every thread.

YOU are one of the reasons MTs with LEGITIMATE complaints do not get taken seriously on these boards, because you trash up the entire site with your vulgar remarks toward anyone who is even remotely satisfied/content/happy.

Let's face it - Your type could make even winning the lottery a miserable experience.

You seriously need therapy, medication or both. I desperately feel sorry for anyone who has to be around you with that attitude you exude.
well tut, tut - .
[ In Reply To ..]

The simple truth is nobody cares - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't really think I made that clear in my message. I just don't think anyone cares whether or not we are happy with our jobs. First, I am not an MTSO (and I don't really care whether people believe me or not - as I'm sure anyone with a brain can tell I do not write like some fancy schmancy person with a degree. Just a plain ol person trying to keep afloat and hang onto my job). Besides, you couldn't pay me to do what they do, and personally I really don't think they are hanging around this page replying to everyone like one poster seems to think. So...nope, just a little MT with a crappy paycheck like everyone else, but I like my job so there really is no need for me to bash-n-trash it. Not every MT that likes their job is an MTSO. I surely do not get paid what I used to get working at a hospital or at the clinic, but the economy is changing.

I think what I was trying to get across in my last message is that the country doesn't care if an MT is unhappy with their job. I really don't think anyone would consider what we do a "sweat shop" only other unhappy MTs. I'm sure if you put it on youtube there would be a lot of people who say, hey, I can't find work I'd love to do what he/she does. We are the only ones who know or care about the ups and downs of our job.

I myself work at my home, sometimes I log on and there is no work. Other times I have a lot of work. I like what I do, but if I didn't I'm the only one who can change that. I don't think anyone out in youtube land is going to care whether or not I'm happy with my job because there are a lot of people without work and I really don't think there is anything that can be said or done on youtube that would give the impression we work in a sweatshop.

Of course everyone is different, maybe there is something unique to your situation that people would watch it and go "OMG that is just horrible, I don't know how someone can work in those conditions", but maybe your situation is much different than mine and a lot of other MTs. So if you do go ahead with it I'd be interested to know how you would make it appealing for others to watch.

P.S. to the poster who wrote the snide remark claiming to know that I am an MTSO - First, not everyone who is happy doing their job is an MTSO. Second if I was an MTSO I sure wouldn't be hanging out on this board. Third a statement like that reminds me of that saying by Alan Alda -

âBegin challenging your own assumptions. Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in awhile, or the light won't come in.â

I say go for it! What do you have to lose? - nothing ventured

[ In Reply To ..]
Hey, if you have the time and energy, why not? Especially if you've been recently laid off/are unemployed. Give 'em all the negative publicity they fear. Might bear fruit, might not.

The MT community would look like a bunch of whiners. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
...we work in the comfort of our own homes, no commute, no gasoline expenses, no wardrobe expenses etc.

Unless you are earning less than minimum wage, there will be people watching your video who would line up to take your job. Especially in this economy where the unemployment rate pushes 10%.

Big deal! Everybody thinks we're whiners now - without real jobs

[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, half the people in India are lined up to take my job. My friends "want" my job until I have them listen to a dictation or two. Americans aren't so eager to go through all this training and know practically as much as a doctor in order to make diddly squat.

The word starts with a W, but its not "whiners" - Try "WHISTLE-blowers", instead.

[ In Reply To ..]
We're NOT "whining". We're incensed because the MT field has gotten into the hands of greedy shysters who are RIPPING US OFF. And the industry has reached a point where it's adversely affecting PATIENT CARE. The quality of work by ALL of their employees, Indian, American, MTs, Editors, QA, VR, etc. is suffering because it has to be done faster and faster, in greater and greater volume, just to make ends meet. The pace of all this keeps on increasing. The quality of the work keeps on decreasing. Who in their right mind actually believes that this kind of business model, shoddiness of product, or lack of ethics can continue indefinitely?

It amazes me no end that any MT thinks that being - Rocky Raccoon - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
able to work in your jammies, not have to drive, and become a hermit at home, is reason enough to work in this field. As long as we keep making statements like that, MTSOs are going to cut every other compensation for work produced down to bare bones. Oh, wait. It IS already down to bare bones. Lots of us are only in it now in order to maintain health insurance. (Those of us lucky enough to be offered it at work, that is.) And that in itself is pretty bare bones insurance. I don't doubt that health employer-offered health insurance will disappear entirely within 5 years or less.

But hey, I guess as long as I'm sitting here with the jam-jams and the pink fuzzy rabbit-slippers on, and since I have to work from 9 AM to past midnight every day to pull in enough lines to keep the electricity turned on, then hey, who needs insurance? I rarely come into contact with other human beings anymore, anyway, since my butt is always glued to my office chair, so no chance of catching anything, right? So I can skip the cost of this year's flu-vaccine.

Now the only health issue I'll have to worry about is pressure ulcers on the ol' BOO-TAY.

Others have it much worse. I think people we would be drowning in new MTs - if you did that

[ In Reply To ..]
Some MTs have very good reasons for being unhappy with their jobs. Some are truly in jobs with no potential. Some are just very poor MTs to begin with and have no other options. No other MTSO will hire them.

So when all those who are unhappy with MT leave to do something they love or something they are better suited for, it will leave more room for those who do enjoy it and have the skills and motivation to do it. Those will also be the ones with the ability to choose the employers who don't take advantage of them because of their lack of knowledge and skills.

Cracks me up that you think if lots of MTs leave - the field, there will be more work and -

[ In Reply To ..]
better pay for you. No, the more US MTs that jump ship, the more proof MTSOs will have that there aren't enough MTs in the US to handle their work, and so they have to go offshore. Then the job that you are so in love with will go offshore, as well.

Hmm, let's see.. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
In a real sweatshop you probably wouldn't be able to get away with: Doing laundry or cleaning the house when no work is available or whenever you felt like it; letting a job sit in your queue and fall out of TAT while you talk on the phone with your friend, play on Facebook, chat with your child/spouse/cat; emailing or calling in 10 minutes before your shift starts that your tummy is upset and you have to lie down and take it easy; make plans to go out to dinner even though you know you are supposed to be at work and then tell your boss you'll be back to make up the time and never show up; log out for a break just when you get a difficult dictator (and yes, your MTSO can and does know how often you do that). If you are so unappreciated, poorly paid and are treated like crap please find another line of work.

I love my job. - Zenaida

[ In Reply To ..]
I think there are a couple of factors here as to why so many MTs are so unhappy. A lot of people outside the MT field were severely duped by these advertisements about making millions at home. They paid an arm and a leg for what they were told was an education adequate for them to perform well, but this was a total misrepresentation. Some of these poor kids come out of these programs knowing so little that they don't even know they don't know it. Then on top of that, the job itself was totally misrepresented to them. Nobody told them about the tedious attention to detail, the long hours of ESL, the long hours just sitting in the chair (sometimes I find myself wondering if I could claim a gluteal decubitus ulcer as a work-related injury). Then on top of that, they can't get a job because they don't have experience and most of the employers (the good ones and the bad ones) know the reputation of these certificate mills that are just cranking out these "graduates" and dropping them like a hot potato. I would be mightily p.o.'d if I were one of them.

Another factor that I see in play is the fact that many of the MTSO's are disreputable themselves, and if you are from one of these diploma mills, it is very, very hard to move on. And even if you can land an interview, and even survive the interview, having had one bad experience it makes you wonder if you are jumping from the frying pan into the fire. It paralyzes you.

Those of us who have been around a little while (I started in 1973) are in a little bit better position to sort out the scammers. I'm one of the lucky ones. I fell into this work by accident when as an unemployed medical office secretary, the director of medical records at a small hospital took a chance on me and trained me up from scratch, encouraged me to go back to school, take extra courses, let me go to inservice training that was intended for doctors when a new technology came along, so I could have the new terminology from the get go. For what ever reason, I just loved the nature of the work.

I spent a brief stint with Medquist a few years ago. It started off really great, great supervisor, great account at a teaching hospital, more opportunities to learn. But yes, there were problems. The job I have now just fell into my lap at a local AHIMA meeting, and it is a dream. Scheduling is incredibly flexible, I can make a living wage, if there are scheduling changes we know about it days in advance. They ask us rather than tell us about schedule changes and we don't get our heads bit off if we cannot accommodate the change. There really are good employers out there.

I understand the need to vent if you are in one of the miserable situations that are out there. However, I would like to respectfully request that the name calling stop. The miserable MTs calling the happy MTs "suits." The happy MTs calling the unhappy MTs lazy or inadequate. We are all in our own situation. Be happy that some of us are happy. That means that there really are some good employers out there and hopefully you will land with one of them sooner than later. Be compassionate that some MTs are really in a miserable situation and try to think of how you would feel in that same situation, and maybe try to offer encouragement instead of name-calling.

I really love my job. Besides the $350 every month I save by not commuting to town every day, the one primary benefit I see is not having to listen all this arguing in the office. When MTStars gets too depressing, I can just turn it off!

you have been working 37 years! - Carol

[ In Reply To ..]
WOW! You have been MTing 37 YEARS. How lucrative can it be if you cannot afford to retire yet?

I love my job. - zenaida

[ In Reply To ..]
I have retired. Twice. Like I said, I love my job. I like the work. I like the scope of knowledge. I like keeping up with all the changes in medical technologies. Five years ago I went back full time. When I would not sell my 35 acres (completely paid for) to the city to expand the school, they condemned the land for public use and evicted me. You can't make a mortgage payment on retirement pay and you can't fight city hall. But even in retirement I was still working 20 hours a week just for the enjoyment of it.

Similar Messages:

Anyone Besides Me Go On YouTube And Watch Videos Of
Jan 20, 2011

x ...

Beware Of YouTube Messages Sent On Facebook.
Mar 18, 2010

I just spent 3 hours on the phone to get rid of a virus I picked up on Facebook.  My aunt had sent me an email to watch a video on YouTube, but when you go to it there is a message that you that you need to update Adobe.  That is when it attacks.  It sends you to different websites when you try to go to McAfee, Microsoft, etc.   It is called Koobface.  Be careful, I had it on both my desktop and laptop.  ...

Video Conferencing
Feb 29, 2012

Regarding this video conferencing our buddy Vern was talking about, I'm going to e-mail him and ask if MT's can have a conference with HIM to address the the one major concern he so conveniently has failed to address .  .  .  our income!  I'd like him to explain to many of us face-to-face if you will why our PTO pays have practically been cut in half over the last several years along with our paycuts in general, lack of bonuses like we used to make, etc.&n ...

Just A Little Humor Video
May 22, 2012

Hoo-boy, it's kind of intense on this board lately. Anyway, I made a little text-to-speech video in honor of Medical Transcription Week. Maybe it'll give a few folks a wee chuckle before returning to the fray. It's over on YouTube, here:  http://youtu.be/s0rQXxHTEFg Enjoy!  Horse   ...

With The Changes AHIMA Is Putting Out
Sep 11, 2012

I am wondering if Andrews is still a good choice for a school. I was also thinking of calling Linda Andrews and seeing how these changes affect her course. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. ...

Putting MM On A Resume
Jan 13, 2014

I was hired at MM by acquisition.  My prior company is gone.  The 2 companies before that are gone, out of business.  Therefore, I have no "recent" references. On a job application, what info do you put down for MM address and phone number?  What about when they ask for your direct supervisor's name and phone number? I am afraid this is going to keep me from getting another job. ...

I'm Putting In My Notice! Does Anyone Know If...
Apr 01, 2014

deleted. Tried to delete the header, but it won't let me delete the whole post ...

Quality 2.0 Video
Oct 15, 2014

So I get an email from my TSM saying that I didn't complete the mandatory training.  I told her that I did and that I sent her an email saying that I did and that I'd be d***** if I would take it a second time.  Still waiting to hear.  ...

Enrich Video
Dec 02, 2014

Just received an email from my TSM stating that we will get a link to an Enrich video on the new plan on Wednesday.  We have conference calls set up for questions on Thursday.   ...

Watched The Video-sm
Dec 03, 2014

Anyone watch the video?????? I did. I guess there is no set line rate anymore or line requirements? Or did I miss something? I calculated the examples using the old pay and you make more $ this way. That is if you send less than 10% to Q and get above 99%. Going below that I have no idea. ...

Oh Why Oh Why Do I Keep Putting All My Eggs In One Basket...sm
Nov 01, 2011

I am getting screwed by yet another company.  I have nothing to fall back on so I am seriously considering working two jobs again.  I did it before a long time ago and it sucked the life out of me.  I barely had a life working one job with all the long hours.  Is it possible to hold down two jobs long term and still have a family life?  I just can't afford to sit here with nothing to do day after day.  Just had to vent... ...

Anyone Do Video Captioning Work?
Aug 18, 2012

How did you get started?  What software did you use?  It seems like the pay is good but there are a lot of qualifications & it's more geared to court reporters (like, requiring a court reporting certificate, etc.). ...

I'd Like To Know How To Post A Video/link Here
Jul 03, 2013

you can click on the play button and it plays in the window here instead of having to open a link.  Directions were once posted but I can't find them and wondered if someone knows how to do it. Thanks ...

This Is A Video Of Every MM Conference Call
Jan 24, 2014

I thought this was cute.  The only thing they left out is "the suckup" on every call ...

Update XP Video Drivers?
Mar 24, 2014

Trying to save myself some more research time.  Every time I play a YouTube video I get the "low resources" message and a pop up suggests I update my XP drivers.  Has anyone ever used the link and downloaded the drivers? ...

Emdat Training Video
Jul 30, 2014

Does anyone know if there is a specific link to an Emdat tutorial video and not just the Emdat install site?  I am going to use Emdat for ST soon (not VR), but it has been awhile.  I remember when I trained on it last time, there was a tutorial video to watch.  Thank you!  ...

Important Video About Automation
Aug 17, 2014

ALL jobs that can be automated, are.   Not addressed in the film was the costs of making and maintaining these robots.  Also not mentioned was the fate of unwanted and unneeded horses..../people. ...

Putting Up The Christmas Tree
Dec 06, 2014

It's just over a couple months that I got off the Nuance bus, and started a new job.  My months at Nuance had a profound impact on both my husband and me.  Not only is our bank account now on the road to recovery, his happiness has rebounded, as I am no longer so miserable and insecure.  Having a good job pays benefits well beyond the paycheck.  I cannot forget what you still chained to this miserable company are enduring.  Of course, I haven't read the d ...

Not Putting All My Eggs In This Basket Anymore...sm
May 26, 2011

Well, I have been reading a lot and there are definitely many who are unhappy doing this for a living at this point. I think the major downfall was the MTSO.....for many, many reasons. Just like Wal Mart put many mom and pop stores out of business, MTSO's are the Wal Mart of the MT world. I decided to go back to school about a month ago. I am going to a local Vo-Tech to get a license to be a nail technician. It is totally out of my comfort zone and away from anything I have ever known. I a ...

Putting Comma After Typing A Date
Jul 01, 2011

I was taught to always put a comma after the date when it is typed in a text, even in the middle of a sentence. QA said that is wrong. Which is correct? ...

Take A Short Break And Watch The Video
Feb 05, 2013

VR Not Consistently Putting 2 Spaces After Periods??? Anyone Else?
Oct 30, 2013

have been noticing over the last 3 or 4 weeks that the sytem is not consistently putting 2 spaces after periods.  Used to not have to worry about this, but just one more thing to have to watch.   Also having to now watch auto expansions and change them back to the accepted short form.  Anyone else? Or have I just been here wayyyyyy to long?    Make it a great day everyone!  A lot of times y'all make mine!  ...

Fairness Matters--watch This Video
Jun 02, 2014

Nuance believes (wrongly) that fairness does not matter, that they can unilaterally define every aspect of our work and compensation, with no input from us, their MTs. They can try to take away our voices, but if we act badly because of it, no one should be surprised. I don't see my fellow MTs do their work and how they are compensated. I work alone. But ... I do see other people working for other companies, doing demanding and difficult work, and being compensated with a fair wage an ...

What Is Purpose Of Putting In A Password For New Posts
Oct 22, 2014

Or is it just me this happens to? ...

Just In Case Anyone Missed It, See Here What Show NBC Is Putting Out And Why They Should Be Banned,
Aug 16, 2010

picketed and millions of emails from MTs like ourselves should be sent to them complaining, just as others are doing.  This is an absolute disgrace, comedy or no comedy!!!!  The show is called Outsourced.  If you do not want to click the link below then Google NBC - Outsourced, as I did, and read about the show and also read the hundreds, if not thousands, of people who are writing NBC and complaining!  Such poor taste! http://www.nbc.com/news/2010/05/07/nbc-picks-up-three-n ...

Video Feed Issues - OLP Exam Had To Be Suspended
Feb 28, 2011

As if I weren't nervous enough taking this, now because of video feed issues, my exam was suspended. I'm waiting to hear back from someone at AHDI. From what I read, I may have to wait 6 months to take it again and I may have to pay again. Great........not ...

On MQCentral Home Page Check Out The Video
Nov 11, 2011

on youtube with Vern Davenport.  When you're on the youtube page click on the Speech Understanding Video.mov on the right and watch that video.  Say goodbye to your jobs! ...

Stop Putting Thank You, When It Stands Alone, Under Ship Markers
Mar 04, 2012

They arent gonna help us with ASR problems,..least we can do is stop making problems for ourselves ...

Working As An IC...putting Company Names On Applications?
Nov 12, 2012

I am applying to a company that would like me to give names and phone numbers of current and previous employers for verification.  I have really only had one "employer" in the last six years.  All the rest are companies I do IC work for, including the one I am working for now.  Do I put the company names and phone numbers down?  It feels somehow wrong, like I am breaking confidentiality or putting their names and numbers down in some sort of behind-their-back way.  Any t ...

Bayscribe Expander Problem, Putting An Extra Letter
Nov 25, 2013

Whenever I type a word and hit the space bar, it either does not expand and when it does, it puts an extra letter in front of the expanded word, such as: bl = bbilateral cons = cconsultation It is also slower to expand and looks like it is deleting a letter quickly after I hit the spacebar before expanding.  I looked in the expander and nothing has changed with the actual expander commands.  The only thing different I have done lately is unstalled McAfee and installed Microsoft Secu ...