A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

With the changes AHIMA is putting out - JC

Posted: Sep 11, 2012

I am wondering if Andrews is still a good choice for a school. I was also thinking of calling Linda Andrews and seeing how these changes affect her course. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I e-mailed her earlier this summer about it - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Her answer was a little vague to me. Now I cannot find the e-mail to refer back to, but I remember thinking I would hate to go through the Andrews course and not be able to sit for the CCS. It was almost like she was not sure how to address it or that she was even aware that there were changes coming up that one would have to qualify with certain classes to sit for the exam. In short, I did not get a satisfactory answer. I would call if I were you and thinking of attending Andrews. That was several months ago when I looked into it, and Andrews might have a better answer for you now.

The answer I got - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Linda Andrews said that the course does include all of those course requirements.

That's true. It always has, even back when I went through it years ago - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Andrews has - A&P and Pathoph

[ In Reply To ..]
These things are part of their program.

Andrews has always had all the required courses - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Andrews has always included all the required courses. It is more than just A&P and pathophysiology . . . med terms, intermed and advanced ICD-9 and CPT coding, pharmacology, and reimbursement methodology.

They even use many of the same textbooks that AHIMA uses for their own course.

No one will know for sure until a candidate tests the system, but I know I would not want to take a college course that only taught to the CCA. You would still be unable to test right away. It would be even worse, though, because your preparation would be poor. I know because I have taken coding courses from colleges and it was horrible.

That's what Linda Andrews said - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
She said that her coding course includes all of the things listed. She also said that she can't speak for AHIMA or how they will interpret their rules. AHIMA gets to do that. That is an honest answer.

Similar Messages:

Putting MM On A Resume
Jan 13, 2014

I was hired at MM by acquisition.  My prior company is gone.  The 2 companies before that are gone, out of business.  Therefore, I have no "recent" references. On a job application, what info do you put down for MM address and phone number?  What about when they ask for your direct supervisor's name and phone number? I am afraid this is going to keep me from getting another job. ...

I'm Putting In My Notice! Does Anyone Know If...
Apr 01, 2014

deleted. Tried to delete the header, but it won't let me delete the whole post ...

Oh Why Oh Why Do I Keep Putting All My Eggs In One Basket...sm
Nov 01, 2011

I am getting screwed by yet another company.  I have nothing to fall back on so I am seriously considering working two jobs again.  I did it before a long time ago and it sucked the life out of me.  I barely had a life working one job with all the long hours.  Is it possible to hold down two jobs long term and still have a family life?  I just can't afford to sit here with nothing to do day after day.  Just had to vent... ...

Putting Up The Christmas Tree
Dec 06, 2014

It's just over a couple months that I got off the Nuance bus, and started a new job.  My months at Nuance had a profound impact on both my husband and me.  Not only is our bank account now on the road to recovery, his happiness has rebounded, as I am no longer so miserable and insecure.  Having a good job pays benefits well beyond the paycheck.  I cannot forget what you still chained to this miserable company are enduring.  Of course, I haven't read the d ...

Putting A Video On YouTube.com Concerning Our Problems
Sep 03, 2010

Has anyone thought about putting a video on YouTube.com concerning our problems with low wages and sweat shop environment? ...

Not Putting All My Eggs In This Basket Anymore...sm
May 26, 2011

Well, I have been reading a lot and there are definitely many who are unhappy doing this for a living at this point. I think the major downfall was the MTSO.....for many, many reasons. Just like Wal Mart put many mom and pop stores out of business, MTSO's are the Wal Mart of the MT world. I decided to go back to school about a month ago. I am going to a local Vo-Tech to get a license to be a nail technician. It is totally out of my comfort zone and away from anything I have ever known. I a ...

Putting Comma After Typing A Date
Jul 01, 2011

I was taught to always put a comma after the date when it is typed in a text, even in the middle of a sentence. QA said that is wrong. Which is correct? ...

VR Not Consistently Putting 2 Spaces After Periods??? Anyone Else?
Oct 30, 2013

have been noticing over the last 3 or 4 weeks that the sytem is not consistently putting 2 spaces after periods.  Used to not have to worry about this, but just one more thing to have to watch.   Also having to now watch auto expansions and change them back to the accepted short form.  Anyone else? Or have I just been here wayyyyyy to long?    Make it a great day everyone!  A lot of times y'all make mine!  ...

What Is Purpose Of Putting In A Password For New Posts
Oct 22, 2014

Or is it just me this happens to? ...

Just In Case Anyone Missed It, See Here What Show NBC Is Putting Out And Why They Should Be Banned,
Aug 16, 2010

picketed and millions of emails from MTs like ourselves should be sent to them complaining, just as others are doing.  This is an absolute disgrace, comedy or no comedy!!!!  The show is called Outsourced.  If you do not want to click the link below then Google NBC - Outsourced, as I did, and read about the show and also read the hundreds, if not thousands, of people who are writing NBC and complaining!  Such poor taste! http://www.nbc.com/news/2010/05/07/nbc-picks-up-three-n ...

Stop Putting Thank You, When It Stands Alone, Under Ship Markers
Mar 04, 2012

They arent gonna help us with ASR problems,..least we can do is stop making problems for ourselves ...

Working As An IC...putting Company Names On Applications?
Nov 12, 2012

I am applying to a company that would like me to give names and phone numbers of current and previous employers for verification.  I have really only had one "employer" in the last six years.  All the rest are companies I do IC work for, including the one I am working for now.  Do I put the company names and phone numbers down?  It feels somehow wrong, like I am breaking confidentiality or putting their names and numbers down in some sort of behind-their-back way.  Any t ...

Bayscribe Expander Problem, Putting An Extra Letter
Nov 25, 2013

Whenever I type a word and hit the space bar, it either does not expand and when it does, it puts an extra letter in front of the expanded word, such as: bl = bbilateral cons = cconsultation It is also slower to expand and looks like it is deleting a letter quickly after I hit the spacebar before expanding.  I looked in the expander and nothing has changed with the actual expander commands.  The only thing different I have done lately is unstalled McAfee and installed Microsoft Secu ...

So Tired Of Putting In A Lot Of Time With No Work. It Makes Me Very Upset. Nm
Aug 23, 2014

nm ...

I Am Putting In My Paperwork For The Andrew's School For Medical Coding And I Am Nervous
Oct 01, 2013

Hi Friends: My name is Suzanne and I am sending in my paperwork to enroll in the Andrew's School for Medical Coding and I am nervous.  I am nervous because I do know I can do it, but what about my age of 57.  I am too old for studying for this field?  I am a medical transcriptionist and have been for 12 years and I am a fast thinker and learner and I know I can do it, but what about the Affordable Care Act and the jobs being outsourced like medical transcription. Can you ...

AHIMA/AAPC
Feb 25, 2011

Anyone out there a member of AHIMA or AAPC?  Did you join after you became certified, or before?  What are your thoughts about joining?   ...

AHIMA Training
Mar 23, 2011

Need some advice please.  I have just started the AHIMA coding course but after doing further research, I am thinking I may want to take the CPC exam first.  Does the AHIMA course prepare for taking the CPC?  Would it be appropriate to do this.  I think it is too late to change schools.  There are so many decisions to make.  I did do a vast amount of research before I chose but now I think it may be a litter harder than I first thought it was going to be, so maybe t ...

AHIMA Student
Apr 08, 2011

Hi all of you wannabe coders out there.  I have just finished my A&P course with AHIMA and am starting coding basics.  I would love to communicate those out there who are in this program, just starting out or previous students.  Let me know how far along you are and also what your background is.   I am very excited about getting to do this program.  I have been a transcriptionist for almost 20 years and am totally burned out, both physically and mentally.  ...

AHIMA Approved ?
Nov 03, 2011

I just checked the AHIMA website for coding programs and I noticed that they have Career Step on their list of "AHIMA approved coding programs" but I could not find Andrews School listed at all on their site.  Is AHIMA approval for coding as important as AHDI approval for transcription programs? Everyone recommends Andrews for coding but Im confused now. Could someone explain please. Also if it is important can you please let me know where you went to school for coding? I know Andrews and M ...

AHIMA And Other Questions
Sep 05, 2013

Has anyone classes through the AHIMA website? If so, did you like it? Is there any benefit of taking it through AHIMA versus Andrews? If you were a new student would you take the RHIA classes or CCS classes? Do you recommend getting a CCS-P as well? What is the best route to get the best return on your investment, ie if you are looking to make coding your career for the next 25+ years, which certificate/degree is the best one to get right now to lead you into a successful career? Any ...

AHIMA (CCS) Versus AAPC (CPC) Which Is Better?
May 09, 2010

There is a lengthy debate as to which of two certifications CCS or CPC are good choices and which will yield better result. The AAPC webiste states that the CPC is a physician/provider-based coding cert. Hospitals are usually looking for facility-based coding certifications, as those credentials apply to their line of business & clinical setting.Hospital certified coders generally code in the hospital (e.g., CPC-H, CCS) and physician certified coders (e.g., CPC, CCS-P) usually code in provid ...

Is Andrews Approved By AHIMA?
Sep 21, 2010

It seems like a lot of people on this board have gone or are going to Andrews for coding.  I have seen a lot of jobs for coders where you obviously need to be certified but also have done your education through an AHIMA approved program.  Isn't Andrews NOT approved through AHIMA?  Wouldn't it be better for me to just do my training through AHIMA?  Seems like a lot of money to spend on a program that isn't recognized by AHIMA. ...

AHIMA Coding Course - Financial Aid
Nov 22, 2010

Does anyone know if the AHIMA coding course is eligible for the Pell grant or any other financial aid benefits? ...

When To Joint AHIMA And AAPC?
Jun 28, 2012

I am currently in Andrews and wonder when would be a good time to join these organizations? I checked out AHIMA and their student designation is only for approved schools, and since Andrews is not, I would have to pay the full price of $165 before taking the CCS exam. The exam itself costs 299 for members and 399 for nonmembers. For AAPC, their student membership costs 70 and does not seem to be tied to "approved schools." I'm just a low-paid MT and wondering if I should spring for thes ...

AHDI And AHIMA And Off-shoring
Aug 19, 2013

Where are AHDI and AHIMA in all of this?  We pay membership dues for them to be our "voice."  (Guess I'm delusional) ...

Certification - You Can't Sit For CCS With AHIMA Anymore
Nov 14, 2013

I was going to begin AHIMA program for coding but someone told me you can't sit for CCS with AHIMA anymore. The certification I want is CPC-H or CCS. Isn't AHIMA the gold standard for coding schools?? Why can't you sit for CCS anymore and where else can I look. Our local college only offers RHIT and I am not interested in that. Local hospitals want CCS or CPC-H. ...

Job Ads And AHIMA-approved Programs
Apr 07, 2014

I have noticed some job ads which say they would consider a new graduate from an AHIMA-approved course. How do certain programs become an approved course? I had a very thorough course that is not ahima approved and would like to apply for those jobs but afraid I would be turned down. :/ ...

AHIMA Salary Survey
Mar 29, 2015

See the AHIMA page below for a link to their 2012 salary survey, the latest one.  It includes coding salaries.  The national average was 49,222.   Their careers map is also on that page.  Very helpful so you can see where you can go from coding.     ...

Anyboby Ever Take AHIMA's A&P Class?
May 20, 2015

Just wondering is anyone has taken the AHIMA A&P class and what did you think of it?  I need an A&P class  but consider myself more of a visual learner.  Is is just reading chapters or are there videos explaining things in detail?  If you have a recommendation on another class, please feel free to advise.  Thanks here is the link: http://cancerregistryeducation.org/products/1190/anatomy-physiology-human-disease ...

So The Question Still Remains -- AAPC Or AHIMA
May 09, 2010

i understand one is more geared towards outpatient and one more toward inpatient, but the question still remains, one is a 4 month full time course and one is a 1 year or so.  But the question still does remain, WHICH organization has a better well rounded LEARN MEDICAL CODING TO GET AN ENTRY LEVEL JOB in Todays Market?  for the newbie?   anyone?????????  please ...