A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone do video captioning work? - New @ KS

Posted: Aug 18, 2012

How did you get started?  What software did you use?  It seems like the pay is good but there are a lot of qualifications & it's more geared to court reporters (like, requiring a court reporting certificate, etc.).

I did find this - New @ KS

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.mncdhh.org/captioningessentials/index.html

It's a free course. Seems like just a general overview, but it might be a good jumping off point to find further things to research. (It would be really awesome if there was a quick online class to get you qualified for the job, as opposed to getting an entire degree in court reporting when I just wanna do this one thing for some extra $$).

OK, here's an online class - New @ KS

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.realtimefitnessonline.com/subpages/Captioning.asp

It says "must be proficient in CAT (Computer Assisted Transcription) software." Which is incredibly expensive; the cheapest I found was a lease for $699/year: http://www.gsclion.com/Prod/sc32/prod_sc32.htm

Still cheaper than going back to school. I think you can make pretty good money doing captioning. Just pretty sick of medical transcription for various reasons and seeing what my other options are.

CAT - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Just read your post about CAT. With that software, you hook your steno machine up to your computer. As you type on the steno machine in the "shorthand," the CAT software translates it into English on the computer screen to allow for viewing and editing.

video captioning - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Closed captioning on TV is done by using a court reporting steno machine. It's like a shorthand keyboard. I've only heard of people who have been through court reporting school doing this since it is impossible to teach yourself how to type on the steno. It's a unique shorthand, almost like a different language.

I tried court reporting courses, and we couldn't graduate until we could type 250 wpm on the machine. It was tough and took A LOT of practice. Some people flew through it and reached that speed in 6 months. Another student had finished all his courses aside from reaching the required speed. He was still trying to pass the speed test after 2 years.

Captioning is done "real time." You type on the steno machine and it transcribes on the TV screen. No time for editing or going back to correct mistakes. It takes a very high degree of accuracy and speed. You have to keep up and cannot fall behind.

I didn't look at the link you posted, but unless there is a different way to do captioning from years ago, I can't see anyone getting into this unless they've been through a court reporting course. The steno machines are expensive too. Ten years ago when I was in the program, a good one was well over 1000 dollars.

I've heard of some courses that are geared only for captioning, so I guess you can learn to be proficient on the steno machine without having to take the legal classwork related to court reporting which would probably make the cirriculum shorter. I'm not really sure.

Thanks - New @ KS

[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, further Googling on the subject confirmed what you said, that you need court reporting training and CAT software and a steno machine (I mean, I was looking it up anyway, not doubting you). ;o) Doesn't really make sense unless you're already a court reporter. I saw one ad that said they pay $75 an hour. I bet I *could* do the work, but looks like I'd need to jump through a lot of hoops first.

My sister is a court reporter so I sent her a link about it.

Also - New @ KS

[ In Reply To ..]
The online classes I found/linked to were more kind of "brush up your skills" classes for people already doing this work, not "this course is all you need to land a captioning job." :o( Oh well.

question re video captioning sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Does anyone know..are these steno machines for court report based on the Gregg Shorthand method? If so, this could be right up my alley since I have experience as a legal assistant/paralegal plus proficiency in Gregg Shorthand.

An acquaintance who is a former court reporter told me court reporting started going to VR several years ago. Whether or not this is correct, I don't know. It sounds risky to me.

Thanks.

Some courts are going to audio recording, not VR... - but - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
the court reporters are fighting it like crazy. There will always be work for court reporters outside of the courtroom, but that market, too, is flooded just like ours :(
interesting - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
That's really interesting. I haven't kept tabs on the court reporting industry for years but wondered recently if VR would edge them out too.

Court reporting is a very skilled profession, much like MT. I bet they are fighting it like crazy, same boat as us apparently. They used to make great pay, working in the courtroom or working for an agency that sent you on assignments such as depositions. Years ago, it was considered a well-paying, very secure profession...that sounds familiar, huh?

To the poster whose sister is a court reporter, I'd be interested to know what she says about the industry at the present time. Just curious, not being nosy.
my sister said (sm) - New @ KS
[ In Reply To ..]
She replied to my e-mail about the captioning job and said someone she worked with used to do that but came back to regular court reporting because "the captioning people were getting cheap, but then so is everyone else."

I'm really starting to like general transcription and was considering doing that full time (for a couple different companies so I wasn't always worried about running out of work).
reply - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for sharing that.

I haven't taken the plunge into general transcription. Trying to ride out MT until the boat sinks I guess. I'm glad you are liking it. It's great to hear good news about any MT who finds a way to branch out. Wish you the best.
I never thought (sm) - New @ KS
[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, I really never thought I'd say "full time freelance work, what a great idea!" MT is just not what it used to be and more and more I'm thinking "what's keeping me here?" There are tons of general transcription companies out there.

gregg shorthand - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It's not based on Gregg Shorthand. If you are proficient in Gregg Shorthand, you might have a leg-up on studying court reporting as you understand the theory behind shorthand, not spelling out letter by letter. The shorthand on a steno machine is not typing letter by letter as on a regular keyboard. It is more learning multiple key combinations for prefixes, suffixes, letter combinations and some phoenetic spelling. In a way, you are "typing" syllables and not paying attention to individual letters. It was tough to switch my mind over to it as the "home keys" are nothing like a regular keyboard. You press many keys at the same time, could be 2 keys, 4 keys or maybe 7 keys all at once. Some of the combos were very awkward to master, like your fingers couldn't possibly flex in so many directions to cover them all. Some students bristled when they discovered they would have to shorten their long fingernails to do it.

Used to wonder if I should have stuck with it and completed it. It is starting to sound risky though seeing what's going on with MT.
My Little Story - Weary MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Funny. When I was changing careers from a secretary to something more interesting, I was bouncing around between court reporting and medical transcription. When I was researching this, there was a sort of Internet, but the best way to research was still the good ol' library with good ol' books. I think the name of the book was the Occupational Outlook Handbook.

Anyway, I chose MT over court reporting, because the prediction back then (late 1990's) was that court reporting would get lost to technology before medical transcription would.

If I had a crystal ball, I would have chosen the court reporting.
If I was not academically lazy LOL - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I would definitely go into court reporting. Like MT, there are so many more areas court reporters are used than in the actual court. The courts are heading the direction of audio recording (which opens it up for us transcriptionists, by the way...) There are tens of thousands of attorneys - and those attorneys schedule depos and interviews, which require a court reporter a majority of the time. You can work all over the country. My neighbor does this here in Vegas and also in California where her boyfriend is. Makes a boat-load of money doing so - and works when she wants, where she wants.

Similar Messages:

Captioning
May 30, 2012

I have an opportunity for a position and am being required to do a quiz on captioning. Now, while I know what this is, I haven't a clue as to how to do it! They've basically given me a paragraph and are asking me to break it up for captioning. I'm clueless on this! Can anyone help? I'm a newbie and would like a chance at this position...  Thanks in advance! ...

MT To Closed Captioning?
Jul 27, 2010

I have been doing some research on closed captioning and CART jobs/career. I searched the archives here, also. Does anyone know, however, if one needs to be a court reporter in order to learn the above jobs?  I'm wondering if one can learn stenography, etc., in some type of program without going through the entire curriculum of court reporting. Thanks! ...

Closed Captioning
Mar 29, 2015

Hey all, just a thought - if you're all tired of these transcription companies, it seems that closed captioning/court reporting out of your home is the way to go. I recently checked into this and it is very lucrative and you don't have to deal with outsourcing, low pay, all the "fun stuff" that medical transcription has to NOT offer. And, if you have a medical background, you get paid more as we are in high demand and would mean more pay. Again, just a thought and am definitely excited ...

Does Anyone One Know Any Companies That Do Closed Captioning?
Apr 04, 2014

I see some listed online but not sure what's legit.  Want to branch out from MT work. TIA. ...

Closed-captioning With Speech-recognition
Jul 11, 2012

Hey guys, the other day I tested a software program called VoxcribeCC, it works well on videos. If you do closed captioning or subtitling, it really eases the task with its speech recognition and time stamping functions. Accuracy is pretty high. I think it is way more powerful than dragon  ...

Has Anyone Heard Anything About Typing Closed Captioning
Aug 29, 2014

Would that maybe be an option for those of us in need for work? That's not something I'd think would be going away and I remember hearing years ago that the pay was better than MT.  Though what's happened to that field in the years since, I have no clue.  I just can't imagine that every being outsourced. ...

Video Conferencing
Feb 29, 2012

Regarding this video conferencing our buddy Vern was talking about, I'm going to e-mail him and ask if MT's can have a conference with HIM to address the the one major concern he so conveniently has failed to address .  .  .  our income!  I'd like him to explain to many of us face-to-face if you will why our PTO pays have practically been cut in half over the last several years along with our paycuts in general, lack of bonuses like we used to make, etc.&n ...

Just A Little Humor Video
May 22, 2012

Hoo-boy, it's kind of intense on this board lately. Anyway, I made a little text-to-speech video in honor of Medical Transcription Week. Maybe it'll give a few folks a wee chuckle before returning to the fray. It's over on YouTube, here:  http://youtu.be/s0rQXxHTEFg Enjoy!  Horse   ...

Quality 2.0 Video
Oct 15, 2014

So I get an email from my TSM saying that I didn't complete the mandatory training.  I told her that I did and that I sent her an email saying that I did and that I'd be d***** if I would take it a second time.  Still waiting to hear.  ...

Enrich Video
Dec 02, 2014

Just received an email from my TSM stating that we will get a link to an Enrich video on the new plan on Wednesday.  We have conference calls set up for questions on Thursday.   ...

Watched The Video-sm
Dec 03, 2014

Anyone watch the video?????? I did. I guess there is no set line rate anymore or line requirements? Or did I miss something? I calculated the examples using the old pay and you make more $ this way. That is if you send less than 10% to Q and get above 99%. Going below that I have no idea. ...

I'd Like To Know How To Post A Video/link Here
Jul 03, 2013

you can click on the play button and it plays in the window here instead of having to open a link.  Directions were once posted but I can't find them and wondered if someone knows how to do it. Thanks ...

This Is A Video Of Every MM Conference Call
Jan 24, 2014

I thought this was cute.  The only thing they left out is "the suckup" on every call ...

Update XP Video Drivers?
Mar 24, 2014

Trying to save myself some more research time.  Every time I play a YouTube video I get the "low resources" message and a pop up suggests I update my XP drivers.  Has anyone ever used the link and downloaded the drivers? ...

Emdat Training Video
Jul 30, 2014

Does anyone know if there is a specific link to an Emdat tutorial video and not just the Emdat install site?  I am going to use Emdat for ST soon (not VR), but it has been awhile.  I remember when I trained on it last time, there was a tutorial video to watch.  Thank you!  ...

Important Video About Automation
Aug 17, 2014

ALL jobs that can be automated, are.   Not addressed in the film was the costs of making and maintaining these robots.  Also not mentioned was the fate of unwanted and unneeded horses..../people. ...

Putting A Video On YouTube.com Concerning Our Problems
Sep 03, 2010

Has anyone thought about putting a video on YouTube.com concerning our problems with low wages and sweat shop environment? ...

Take A Short Break And Watch The Video
Feb 05, 2013

Fairness Matters--watch This Video
Jun 02, 2014

Nuance believes (wrongly) that fairness does not matter, that they can unilaterally define every aspect of our work and compensation, with no input from us, their MTs. They can try to take away our voices, but if we act badly because of it, no one should be surprised. I don't see my fellow MTs do their work and how they are compensated. I work alone. But ... I do see other people working for other companies, doing demanding and difficult work, and being compensated with a fair wage an ...

Video Feed Issues - OLP Exam Had To Be Suspended
Feb 28, 2011

As if I weren't nervous enough taking this, now because of video feed issues, my exam was suspended. I'm waiting to hear back from someone at AHDI. From what I read, I may have to wait 6 months to take it again and I may have to pay again. Great........not ...

On MQCentral Home Page Check Out The Video
Nov 11, 2011

on youtube with Vern Davenport.  When you're on the youtube page click on the Speech Understanding Video.mov on the right and watch that video.  Say goodbye to your jobs! ...

"TRACKING CHANGES AND IDENTIFY ANOMALIES"..Okay, So I Just Watched The Video
Dec 04, 2014

Something like "Audits and controls are being put in place to track changes and identify anomalies in normal production hour history." They mentioned Webclock and the importance to have correct hours. Any of you acute care know what they are talking about. Do I remember someone saying something about downloading a program to track your time at the keyboard, etc, or was that on another forum? ...