A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Working as an IC...putting company names on applications? - Nickname

Posted: Nov 12, 2012

I am applying to a company that would like me to give names and phone numbers of current and previous employers for verification.  I have really only had one "employer" in the last six years.  All the rest are companies I do IC work for, including the one I am working for now.  Do I put the company names and phone numbers down?  It feels somehow wrong, like I am breaking confidentiality or putting their names and numbers down in some sort of behind-their-back way.  Any thoughts on this?

Company names - OldMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are an IC, you are working for yourself, and you probably have a company name. I would not give out your clients' names; I would just list your company name since you are an independent contractor.

By company names, I mean the transcription company names - I was/am an IC through

[ In Reply To ..]
Not the actual clients I was typing for.

Company names - OldMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess for me it is how you bill, too. Do you bill as an individual to the MTSO you work for or do you bill as a company yourself? If you bill as a company yourself, I certainly don't think it's necessary to give that MTSO's name to anyone. You are an independent contractor, business owner. You contract your services. You work for a number of clients under an EIN. I just have always used my company name on things like this and never given out my client information.
Not totally understanding...SM - Nickname
[ In Reply To ..]
I send a bill to the MTSO, and they send me a check. The ones before that kept track of everything I typed and sent me a check automatically.
Company names - Toni
[ In Reply To ..]
I am an IC and in the past I have written down the companies I IC'd with before, they were all large MTSOs, except one was a small company with 7 other transcriptionists.
So you don't think the MTSO's will be upset? - Nickname
[ In Reply To ..]
For some reason I feel like they would be angry that I gave out their name and number. I'm pretty paranoid though.
not understanding your position - ICManiac
[ In Reply To ..]
I have always listed the name of the MTSO companies on my resume, including their address and phone numbers, along with a contact name. I don't understand why this would feel wrong to you. You have to prove that you have worked/provided for yourself. People want to know that you aren't falsifying your resume.

For my private clients, I list the dates of when I worked for them, their city and state, and list their specialty. For these private clients, I state "Reference Available Upon Request" and do not list their name(s) on the resume.

I have never been asked to supply a name for my private clients. I know them well enough to know they would have no problem vouching for the work I do for them. If asked, though, I would simply call the doctor(s) and let know know what is going on and ask if it is okay to give out their phone number. Whether or not anyone checks reference on current or past services, I have no clue.
Company names - Toni
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I never really thought about that =) But to me, it's no different than filling out an application for any other kind of job, you have to list the prior companies you worked for. I don't see why it would be any different in the MT world.
Resumes/MTSOs - me
[ In Reply To ..]
You would be able to put the name of MTSO and contact info as well as type of account (clinic, specialty, or hospital) but do not list the MTSOs' client's name/facility name.

Most do not call to check references but want it listed.
Right... - Toni
[ In Reply To ..]
You would just put the name of the MTSO, not of any hospitals or doctors that the MTSO contracts with that you type for.
let me put it this way, do you list your school's name - or your teachers? NM
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Issue With Searching Company Names In That
Dec 16, 2014

Honestly, why when you search a company do tons of posts from 2006 and previous come up and you have to go through pages and pages of old posts before you see the recent info?The posts should be date order, latest first, IMHO. Who cares what people wrote about a company in 2006 when so many things have changed? I think anything older than a few years ago should not even be included in the search results since not only have most companies changed massively, our work environment has as well, i.e. ...

This Is A Poll Of Sorts. No Company Names Needed.
Oct 20, 2014

dd ...

Working For More Than 1 Company?
Feb 07, 2011

I know a lot of you work for two different companies.  But what about 3?  Those of you who do, can you handle it.  I am finally hearing from all these companies I applied to and I was thinking maybe I should work for 3 that way, I will hopefully always have work. ...

Experience Working For This Company?
Dec 29, 2009

Does anyone have experience working for this company? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Currently Working For A Company That Pays 0.055 Cpl
Sep 07, 2011

Currently working for a company that pays 0.055 cpl.  How can anybody make any money?  Throw in their formatting and you might as well be working for free.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  ...

I Just Started Working For A Company With VR
Oct 17, 2011

I started working for a company 2 weeks ago and it's about 99% VR, so I just edit all day.  Sometimes I would rather type it because it would be faster than editing. Other times it is faster to just edit it. The problem is, it is going to take at least the length of the recording to get the job done either way, but with VR I'm being paid only 4 cents a line.  It's the same work for less than half the pay I had before with straight typing. I just calculated up what I made ...

Working For This Company Is Demoralizing
Feb 28, 2015

Always on edge wondering what error they're going to ding you for next. Constant reminders of all you're doing wrong, and never getting told what you're doing right. Poverty wages. The only reason I'm working for this company is so I can keep my health insurance. The minute I get a new job, which I search for every day, I'm done here. ...

FILLING OUT JOB APPLICATIONS
Oct 05, 2010

When you are applying on line for a position for employment, what do you put for business references.   This job wants three business references.  I do not want my current job to know I am looking.  Working at home I do not have many business references.  ...

Online Applications
May 14, 2011

I just had to vent!  I am SICK AND TIRED of companies (mostly hospitals) with these l-o-n-g applications asking you to document your whole life history.  These are several pages long, and many times you are restricted to ANSWERS IN BOXES (drop-down menus) so can't enter free text.  Finally, there is NO WAY TO SAVE IT!  So you can get half or most of the way through and have to stop/pause and/or get stuck because of the dang drop-down stuff, when you can resume you h ...

Unemployment Applications
Dec 27, 2012

thinks it is odd to be glad there is one person employed whose duties are to work hard to deny as many unemployment applications for softscript as they can?  applications that were made for unemployment due to NJA/OOW http://forum.mtstars.com/448985.html at softscript it is not just about PROCESSING the applications but working to make sure they are denied. just wondering if the OP is still glad that person has a job. one person has a job at the expense of many, many who do not. i do ...

Chronicle Transcripts - Who Out There Working For This Company
Mar 15, 2010

Who out there working for this company like it so far????  ...

Precyse Solutions - Considering Working For This Company
Jul 27, 2010

I'm considering working for this company.  I have an interview scheduled.  Can any current employees let me know what you think of the company?  Most of what I have read does not sound good. :-( ...

The Transcription Doctors - Anyone Has Or Is Working For This Company?
Sep 26, 2010

Was just wanting to know if anyone has or is working for this company?  If so how are they to work for? Thanks... ...

Started Working For A Company 2 Weeks Ago And
Mar 10, 2011

so, what do you think?  I started working with them 2 weeks ago and at first, you have to pend all your work to QA which I have been doing and I haven't heard anything from anyone.  Every other company I have worked with send you QA feedback so you know if you are on track or not.  I am just worried that this place is shady and when it comes time to get paychecks, I will have a hard time. ...

I Am Literally Going BROKE Working For This Company
Dec 05, 2011

My region has just brought on a few new accounts which would be considered a good thing for most but here is my problem.  I'm an MME so these new accounts are all 100% QA which means I've only made $0.03 cpl for days now.  To make it a thousand times worse, it seems as if every doctor on one of our new accounts has a different set of samples and formatting to follow so when I'm not earning $0.03 cpl QA'ing other people's work I've got at least a dozen samples open ...

I Think We're All Going To Need PTSD Counseling After Working For This Company
Mar 08, 2014

It might take years of counseling to undo what this company has done to its employees.  This is like being in a really, really, really bad relationship that you can't really describe to anyone outside of it because it's so nightmarish they would think you were making it all up.  When it's all over and the lights are turned off (and they will be, soon), we'll all have the absolute craziest tales about this company to tell people, because nobody, absolutely nobody e ...

Question About Filling Out Applications
Feb 01, 2010

I am starting to apply for other jobs (not MT after 35 years).  When filling out my current employer I always put NJ as the address of the company, but should I put my current supervisor's name in as a contact or should they contact the main office?  I really don't want my supe to know I'm looking for another job yet.  TIA. ...

Re: No Response To Job Applications, Resumes Sent:
Feb 24, 2010

I've sent out a few resumes over the past year in hopes of landing a different MT job than the one I have now.  Only ONE place (a hospital I would dearly love to work for!) even acknowledged my application.  The others?  NOTHING.  Even though they continued to run ads for the same job I had applied for.  I never even got to test for any of them. So.... fast forward a few months (or years).  Suppose one of these no-response companies kept my resume and out ...

I'm Starting To Fill Out Job Applications
Nov 02, 2014

Good-by Nuance within the month.  Not even sure I want to hang around for the "exciting" changes.  ...

Complaint - Companies With Online Applications.
Dec 17, 2010

I just cannot bring myself to spend hours filling out an online application when they already have my resume which has ALL of that pertinent information on it! I also cannot see spending considerable time filling out an online application, then waiting to see IF they respond to me, then IF they do respond with an offer to test, going through the testing to get an offer I can't accept. The online apps, though, are the #1 issue for me.  It is insane.  Through complaining.  T ...

Has Anybody Moved From MT To Working For A Car Rental Company At Home. Doesn't Sound Too Bad.
Apr 23, 2014

One ad I saw starts at $12.45 an hour. Right now I make more, but it's only a matter of time until I don't. If anyone has tried this, I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks!!!! ...

Wondering? New Company Working For Counts 65 Characters Per Line. Is This Normal? Seems High To
Nov 11, 2009

NM ...

With The Changes AHIMA Is Putting Out
Sep 11, 2012

I am wondering if Andrews is still a good choice for a school. I was also thinking of calling Linda Andrews and seeing how these changes affect her course. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. ...

Putting MM On A Resume
Jan 13, 2014

I was hired at MM by acquisition.  My prior company is gone.  The 2 companies before that are gone, out of business.  Therefore, I have no "recent" references. On a job application, what info do you put down for MM address and phone number?  What about when they ask for your direct supervisor's name and phone number? I am afraid this is going to keep me from getting another job. ...

I'm Putting In My Notice! Does Anyone Know If...
Apr 01, 2014

deleted. Tried to delete the header, but it won't let me delete the whole post ...

Oh Why Oh Why Do I Keep Putting All My Eggs In One Basket...sm
Nov 01, 2011

I am getting screwed by yet another company.  I have nothing to fall back on so I am seriously considering working two jobs again.  I did it before a long time ago and it sucked the life out of me.  I barely had a life working one job with all the long hours.  Is it possible to hold down two jobs long term and still have a family life?  I just can't afford to sit here with nothing to do day after day.  Just had to vent... ...

Putting Up The Christmas Tree
Dec 06, 2014

It's just over a couple months that I got off the Nuance bus, and started a new job.  My months at Nuance had a profound impact on both my husband and me.  Not only is our bank account now on the road to recovery, his happiness has rebounded, as I am no longer so miserable and insecure.  Having a good job pays benefits well beyond the paycheck.  I cannot forget what you still chained to this miserable company are enduring.  Of course, I haven't read the d ...

Putting A Video On YouTube.com Concerning Our Problems
Sep 03, 2010

Has anyone thought about putting a video on YouTube.com concerning our problems with low wages and sweat shop environment? ...

Not Putting All My Eggs In This Basket Anymore...sm
May 26, 2011

Well, I have been reading a lot and there are definitely many who are unhappy doing this for a living at this point. I think the major downfall was the MTSO.....for many, many reasons. Just like Wal Mart put many mom and pop stores out of business, MTSO's are the Wal Mart of the MT world. I decided to go back to school about a month ago. I am going to a local Vo-Tech to get a license to be a nail technician. It is totally out of my comfort zone and away from anything I have ever known. I a ...

Putting Comma After Typing A Date
Jul 01, 2011

I was taught to always put a comma after the date when it is typed in a text, even in the middle of a sentence. QA said that is wrong. Which is correct? ...