A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

proof of work for small claims court? - busybee

Posted: Apr 08, 2010

So hoping it doesn't come to this, but I'm thinking I may need to take someone to small claims court.  Would my invoices work? Logs? Or do I need the actual reports and if so how does HIPAA play into that?

Any advice?

many thanks

busybee

I would... - justme

[ In Reply To ..]
take invoices and logs. I'm sure logs are sufficient. You can't show the actual report b/c of privacy laws. Most of us don't have the actual reports anyway...they send directly to client and don't store on our computers. Good luck.

Reports not necessary Invoices, emails - .

[ In Reply To ..]
You can google.com "procedure on small claims" Full set of instructions. They give you form number and you can print them out, fill it in. I think 2 or 3 forms. They start with SC plus number SC superior court. Go to telephone book and look up superior court address and phone. Call them just to check if can mail in. I was, I live in California.

In my state, I could handle by mail. So printed out forms, filled in, mailed in, they mail back a date for court, cost me $39 to file, so enclosed check back.

You need to have made 3 requests (notification) for payment (keep records emails, print out)

Yoy then need to notify them (MT company) of the court date I think 10 days ahead and have them served with this notice. If in the area, a friend can do it. If not, google process servers in that state.

Just keep your paperwork that they owe you, burden of proof is on you. No proof, prob would not prevail in court.

It just may not come to the court. Notify the MT company with your 3 notices (past attempts count) of your intentions if you cannot get paid, ie., hope be can settle this without court sort of thing.

I would also notify your state labor board (google.com your state plus labor board) They may ?? make contact with them and they will pay up.. This has been happening way tooooo often to MTs. I keep reading of this on this board, way too often over a span of time. Sad.

I have done this process, not for payroll though. It seems scary, but it is simple looking back. I just was not at all familiar and it scared me.

thanks...sm - busybee

[ In Reply To ..]
Many thanks. I don't think the state labor board will help being as I'm an independent contractor.

Not only that, but ----- (see msg) - No3cpl4Me

[ In Reply To ..]
if your court date is a long ways from your MTSO's office, chances are slim that anyone from there will even show up. Especially if you're suing for a relatively small amount. ($100's to $1000's). If they don't show up, and you do, I believe you win by default.

HIPAA & Labor Board - Worth a try

[ In Reply To ..]
Do not provide anything that contains any information that alone OR IN COMBINATION WITH OTHER INFORMATION may serve to identify a patient. We sometimes think it's only the patient's name, but the facility name and patient number (even if not the SSN)can ID the patient, as can the dates of admission and diagnosis, or even the date/time of an appointment.

If your log contains names, patient numbers, etc., you would need to redact that information before turning them in. You cannot just mark them out with a Sharpie, but have to completely mark them out and then photocopy that page, since you can still read even through a thick marker line.

Contacting the labor board might be an excellent option! Don't think that you shouldn't because you think you are an IC. It doesn't really matter what you think, or the MTSO thinks, or what paperwork you signed. A lot of states don't really like the IC concept and think you are really an under-the-table employee. They won't come down on YOU, but on the MTSO or whomever stiffed you. You might make some money off of that, or at least have the satisfaction of costing them more than they gypped you.

Similar Messages:

Webmedx Claims To Be Mostly VR?
Apr 06, 2010

My hospital employs Wmx for overflow work.  Their contact person claims we are their only account not using voice recognition, and that almost 70% of the VR reports are good to go without editing.  I find this hard to believe, as so many doctors are resistant to VR because it doesn't work well.  I also find their 70% claim questionable as we've had VR for Radiology for 5 years and approximately TWO percent of reports do not need editing and it has been a big waste o ...

Small Mouth Or Small Mouthed?
Jul 27, 2014

And is it hyphenated, or not? I find it both ways for both questions. Looking for input from the pros here, thank you. ...

Insurance Claims Transcription
Apr 12, 2015

What is the current per-character rate for insurance claims transcription? ...

Transcribing Disability Claims Reports
Mar 22, 2010

Just a new graduate question.  What is the difference in pay rate when transcribing medical claims assessment reports for the doctors.  Apparently it is alittle more because the Dr. charges the insurance companies @$200-$400 per report.  I am helping a local physician with some of his  "overflow", but want fair pay.  What does everyone think about $20/hour or $1/dictated minute or a flat rate per report.  Help!   ...

Yikes. EWord Claims Their Prices Are Equal To ILP.
Mar 31, 2014

I did not bother testing as the stated compensation was $0.005 per word. This is the equivalent of about $0.05 per line and a little over $1 per page (single spaced). ...

Article - Doctor Claims Poor EMR Training Cost Him His Job
Oct 27, 2011

Ha! This thing looks like as I predicted....a disaster waiting to happen.   http://www.fierceemr.com/story/fired-doctor-my-ehr-training-was-poor/2011-10-27?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal ...

Reliance Standard Short- And/or Long-term Disability Claims.
Jan 02, 2013

Has anyone had the misfortune to file a disability claim through your employer with this company?  On 11/19/12 HR at my employer sent them my paperwork and said it would take 7 days for a decision.  No decision yet and HR has not followed up, so I'm hung out to dry.  I have had to call Reliance constantly wanting to know what's going on and it's one excuse after another, making them and my employer look totally incompetent.  If you're paying for short- or ...

Court Reporting
Mar 03, 2011

As I have all of my eggs in one basket with medical transcription, I am looking into court reporting.  I have been in this industry for 20 years and I have seen the constant decline of this industry.   I am just curious if anyone has knowledge of court reporting and if it would be an easy transition.  I will primarily be focused on worker's comp depositions.  I don't foresee any problem with the doctor's deposition as I have the medical terminology down.  Thanks for any i ...

MT To Court Reporter
Aug 10, 2011

Reading online earlier about 5 jobs where you can earn over $100K without a degree.  The last was court reporter and the 90th percentile earnings were $105K, median $57,200.  Not looking to even earn that much but would like to know if anyone knows what the training entails.  TIA ...

Scoping For Court Reporters
Jul 26, 2010

I am considering taking a scoping course/do reports for court reporters, may be in the future to make a switch from medical transcription.  Anyone has any advice for me.  Thanks. ...

Heritage Court Reporters
Jun 22, 2011

Has anyone heard of this company out of D.C.? and if so, what do you know? ...

Has Anyone Researched Court Reporting Or Scoping? SM
Oct 19, 2010

All of my work seems to be going to EMR or voice recognition.  I have three kids and I need to stay financially stable.  As I hang on to my last account, I am looking to go back to school.  I dont know where to go.  I was thinking about court reporting and/or scoping work.  Does anyone know where I can find information on these careers? Better yet, does anyone have personal experiencing working within this field? ...

Has The Same Thing Happened To Court Reporting?
Nov 06, 2013

Just got to wondering. I know back when I made 50K doing MT, I was told court reporters were making twice that.  I never really understood what they do, some kind of shorthand machine? only I don't think they use that anymore.  So has their career gone down the tubes as well? anyone know? ...

Bankruptcy Court Will Hold Hearing At 12PM CST
Apr 15, 2010

MedQuist Inc. is set to buy bankrupt medical transcription firm Spheris Inc., sources confirmed to NashvillePost.com this morning. The New Jersey-based company came out on top in the race to buy Spheris' assets, beating out competitors Transcend Services and Nuance Communications in an auction that apparently lasted through Wednesday night and into this morning.   It is unclear this morning what price MedQuist (Ticker: MEDQ) will actually pay for Spheris. Transcend offered $7 ...

Your Opinions, Please, On Passage Of Obamacare By The Supreme Court!!
Jun 28, 2012

Will MTs become dinosaurs?  Will everything be point-and-click by the doctors and traditional dictation become a thing of the past?  I've been using IntraScript for my doctors' dictation for many years now.  Will these types of digital platforms become obsolete? I admit I'm worried.  I'm the sole support of my family. All opinions are appreciated, and I look forward to reading each one.... ...

Please Tell King Vern, Princess Amy, And Court Jester
Jun 03, 2013

You know this board is being watched today after that email.  I am sure the Royal 3 are being kept abreast of every post here today. ...

PROOF SAINCE DOES NOT PAY!!!
Apr 05, 2010

I got this email this morning - yes, he's threatening to sue me over my paycheck - Remember, he owes me $415: I have your email (received Friday 4/2/2010 at 3.30 PM) wherein you have agreed to the settlement offered by us. We are prepared to send your check for $171.00, as you have agreed to below, by Express Mail today so that you may receive it tomorrow.  Finally, today I have received some emails from you that were sent to the Nevada Labor Commission among a host of other people.& ...

As If I Needed More Proof
May 21, 2010

You know, we hear tales, hope they're not true, but now I believe that the evil Q is intentionally sabotaging our work! I've been on 100% QA for failing my audit.  Yesterday I was being audited again, was aware of it and was working e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y carefully, very conscious and aware of everything I was doing.  My production was down a bit, but my accuracy was spot on!   As we all know, they audit 5 reports and average out the score.  My accuracy was 9 ...

Proof Is In The Pudding
May 27, 2010

I was guilty of taking my audits for granted and putting my tail between my legs and truding on, thinking my situation was horrible and would never change.  Then I read about many MQ MTs challenging their audits, calling QA on the feedbacks, keeping logs, keeping copies to compare before and after QA and today I had my opportunity to call them on a HUGE discrepancy! I got a score of 89% on a report, had 2 "critical" errors, had ALL the dictated headings changed, and added at the end of the ...

Do You Proof Your Work?
Sep 22, 2011

I'm too slow and have heard other people say they don't proof their work.  I am so tempted but find too many mistakes to dare try it.  I'm curious how many do and don't, how much it helps with line count (when you don't), and if there is a good way to train yourself to do it right the first time so it's not necessary. ...

Also Curious About When They Ask For Proof Of
Oct 28, 2011

elibility to work here in the US.  What do they need to see to prove I can work here? ...

From The Post Below About PROOF
Apr 07, 2013

Maybe the company is going down.  Post stated:  Oh, and I understand that 100+ others received the same notification on the same day. Reasoning...none given other than it was an at-will company. Other employees were called out of client meetings to inform them that they were no longer employed...and this included all levels of employees - from managers to MTs. ...

Tell Me How Your Proof Your Report
Jun 08, 2013

I'm curious as to what your most effective way is to proofread reports.  When the report is short, only several minutes, I don't have a problem listening to the entire dictation again and read back through what I typed, but when you have one that's, let's say, an hour or more long, I'm really cutting my pay in half.  Do you go through the entire report while listening to the audio again, or do you proof two or three sentences at a time while still wor ...

How Many Of You Really Proof At End Of Report?
Sep 16, 2014

The account I have has some extremely horrid dictators and about 75% are ESL. They were hounding me to get my line count up to goal.  We can only edit as fast as they talk and none use the pause button, making our stats take a nosedive. The only way I could meet goal was to quit proofing at the end of the report and force myself to focus and proof as I go.  How many oithers do this and what do you think of your accuracy proofing as you edit?  Are their some dictators that require ...

MedQuist Awarded Court Approval For Domestic Assets
Feb 28, 2010

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/medquist-awarded-court-approval-as-stalking-horse-bidder-for-domestic-assets-of-spheris-85356647.html   Wow, court okayed and approved for MQ to go ahead and bid on April 13, for Spheris.  Plus MQ is coming out with their own EPIC and it causes 70% less dictation.  EXPECT NO JOBS AVAILABLE COMING SOON.  Also expect getting picked on with your job audits because they want to fire most of us and just keep the BEST OF THE BEST which I h ...

Going Back To School - Info On Court Reporting And/or Scoping?
Nov 06, 2010

Anybody have any info on court reporting and/or scoping? ...

Survey: How Do You Proof Your Work
Nov 08, 2011

My manager (not an MT) is challenging me on the method I proof my work. How do you proof? a: listening to the audio at a higher speed while you review and correct the text on the screen? b: print out on paper, read, and then correct on the computer? c: read the screen with no audio and correct as you go? ...

Proof Docs Don't Review Before Signing
Sep 26, 2011

Just typed a letter to a peer review committee regarding a discrepancy in an operative report and a discharge summary.  The doctor gave the explanation that it was simply a typographical error either from his mumbling or unclear dictation, and that the dx listed in the discharge summary did not make sense and he would not dictate that. Yes, he actually admitted it could have been from his mumbling.  But, why didn't he catch that incorrect diagnosis when he signed the discharge sum ...

Can Someone Provide Me With Proof About MModal's REAL Pay?
Apr 21, 2013

You all have helped giving me averages based on line output and cpl, but I know MModal is going to try to make it look like they're really giving us a good deal, and the hospital doesn't want to pay us unemployment.  Where can I go to cut and paste something into a document that PROVES the TRUE amount a normal transcriptionist would earn full time?  Anybody know? ...

Unemployment And Have To Show Proof Of The Job Search
Jul 05, 2013

When looking for a job and you're on unemployment and have to show proof of the job search, is it possible to use all these MT companies? I mean, we take all this time to submit applications and take tests and then don't get hired...it seems we could use them as job contacts. Has anyone done this and it was okay? ...