A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Your opinions, please, on passage of Obamacare by the Supreme Court!! - Lynn

Posted: Jun 28, 2012

Will MTs become dinosaurs? 

Will everything be point-and-click by the doctors and traditional dictation become a thing of the past? 

I've been using IntraScript for my doctors' dictation for many years now.  Will these types of digital platforms become obsolete?

I admit I'm worried.  I'm the sole support of my family.

All opinions are appreciated, and I look forward to reading each one....

Go check out the politics board to see opinions - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I don't think it matters one way or the other. We're - already hosed in this profession. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Well, if you are one of the 32 million working poor whose - premiums will plummet drastically

[ In Reply To ..]
or perhaps disappear entirely under this law, that's something to look forward to, surely? BTW, just learned the federal number is those earning up to 133% of the official poverty line income.

And if you're not sort of poor, at least for the past 2 years you've had the security of knowing your coverage can no longer be canceled if you get sick and you no longer have a lifetime limit. Remember things like a $100,000 limit for a cancer, including metastases and recurrences? Surely that's something for us all out of this.

are you kidding me? My rates have gone up! - sadMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks to Obamacare, my rates have already gone up $100 a month. That's $1200 a year extra coming out of my pocket that I can't afford. Nobody's premiums are going to plummet. Everyone will be forced to buy insurance but if you can't afford it, well tough... you'll have to pay a fine or a tax or whatever the heck they're calling it today.

IMO, this whole health care fiasco is just a way to run the insurance companies out of business so that eventually we will all be forced to be on a single payer government system. If you want anything done incompetently and at great expense, let the government handle it.

This is going to hurt small businesses, too, because they will either have to provide insurance for their employees or pay a fine if they don't. The fine will be cheaper so a lot of them will do that instead. Then nobody will be able to get employer-provided health insurance, which is ridiculous anyway. Why should your employer be responsible for your insurance? That's where a lot of the problems come in. You're stuck with the plan they offer, and some people will stay at a job they hate just to get the insurance.

The solution is to have everyone responsible for their own insurance. If a company wants to give you some money towards your premium, well, then that's a nice perk. Let insurance companies sell across state lines so that competition drives the price down. We can shop for the coverage we want, keep our costs down, and our job options open. Our employer doesn't pay for our home or car insurance, so why should they pay for our health insurance?

We know point-and-click alone, as it's being used now, is bad - patient care. So, no. I am not worried. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Huh? - Precedent

[ In Reply To ..]
Just because it's bad, then does that mean that it will be corrected/reversed?

If you believe that, then I would say that you are VERY naive.

Affordable Healthcare Act - thrilled!

[ In Reply To ..]
Pleasantly stunned. Didn't think Roberts had it in him, so he really surprised me.

Utter shock - Dish

[ In Reply To ..]
Since we MTs have been the vanguard for the Affordable Health Act, we'll all be getting screwed, like us. I listened to a lot of the tapes from the legal arguments, and Obama's appointees dominated all the questions. Obama should be scared, however, because the Supreme Court is calling his mandate a TAX which he never had the guts to call it. If you can't see the health system starting to fall apart, this sealed it. Bad day for Americans.

Similar Messages:

Obamacare
May 18, 2015

Has anyone been able to make any sense of Obamacare as a replacement for the lovely Nuance BCBS health insurance?  Can we qualify for Obamacare if we QUIT our job at Nuance?  I am hoping that falls into some sort of special enrollment period.  Thanks and BEST OF LUCK to all you special, highly talented QCEs and MLSs.  ...

What Happens When Obamacare Starts In 2014?
Apr 02, 2011

I was wondering what my fellow MTs think is going to happen starting 2014 when Obamacare kicks in.  I had read an article in the NY Post a while back that 74% of MDs surveyed plan to work part time, retire from medicine, or go in a new direction careerwise.  Do you think we'll see a decrease in work available, even SR editing work?  Do you think that if a great amount of MDs cut back or retire from medicine that would cause our profession to lessen in demand? ...

Is Obamacare Going To Affect Coding In A Negative Way? Nm
Jan 12, 2015

x ...

Nuance Health Ins Versus Obamacare
Feb 11, 2015

May be a silly question, but can't seem to get an answer. Can we cancel health benefits with Nuance at any time? Or is it only once a year? Can we drop it and get Obamacare instead? From what I have heard from friends, I would have much better coverage going with Obamacare instead of Nuance. ...

Did Mmodal Hire Fired Obamacare Techs For Fluency?
Feb 25, 2014

Down up down up, can't upload, try again. Not able to search. Seriously getting frustrating. ...

Court Reporting
Mar 03, 2011

As I have all of my eggs in one basket with medical transcription, I am looking into court reporting.  I have been in this industry for 20 years and I have seen the constant decline of this industry.   I am just curious if anyone has knowledge of court reporting and if it would be an easy transition.  I will primarily be focused on worker's comp depositions.  I don't foresee any problem with the doctor's deposition as I have the medical terminology down.  Thanks for any i ...

MT To Court Reporter
Aug 10, 2011

Reading online earlier about 5 jobs where you can earn over $100K without a degree.  The last was court reporter and the 90th percentile earnings were $105K, median $57,200.  Not looking to even earn that much but would like to know if anyone knows what the training entails.  TIA ...

Scoping For Court Reporters
Jul 26, 2010

I am considering taking a scoping course/do reports for court reporters, may be in the future to make a switch from medical transcription.  Anyone has any advice for me.  Thanks. ...

Heritage Court Reporters
Jun 22, 2011

Has anyone heard of this company out of D.C.? and if so, what do you know? ...

Has Anyone Researched Court Reporting Or Scoping? SM
Oct 19, 2010

All of my work seems to be going to EMR or voice recognition.  I have three kids and I need to stay financially stable.  As I hang on to my last account, I am looking to go back to school.  I dont know where to go.  I was thinking about court reporting and/or scoping work.  Does anyone know where I can find information on these careers? Better yet, does anyone have personal experiencing working within this field? ...

Has The Same Thing Happened To Court Reporting?
Nov 06, 2013

Just got to wondering. I know back when I made 50K doing MT, I was told court reporters were making twice that.  I never really understood what they do, some kind of shorthand machine? only I don't think they use that anymore.  So has their career gone down the tubes as well? anyone know? ...

Proof Of Work For Small Claims Court?
Apr 08, 2010

So hoping it doesn't come to this, but I'm thinking I may need to take someone to small claims court.  Would my invoices work? Logs? Or do I need the actual reports and if so how does HIPAA play into that? Any advice? many thanks busybee ...

Bankruptcy Court Will Hold Hearing At 12PM CST
Apr 15, 2010

MedQuist Inc. is set to buy bankrupt medical transcription firm Spheris Inc., sources confirmed to NashvillePost.com this morning. The New Jersey-based company came out on top in the race to buy Spheris' assets, beating out competitors Transcend Services and Nuance Communications in an auction that apparently lasted through Wednesday night and into this morning.   It is unclear this morning what price MedQuist (Ticker: MEDQ) will actually pay for Spheris. Transcend offered $7 ...

Please Tell King Vern, Princess Amy, And Court Jester
Jun 03, 2013

You know this board is being watched today after that email.  I am sure the Royal 3 are being kept abreast of every post here today. ...

MedQuist Awarded Court Approval For Domestic Assets
Feb 28, 2010

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/medquist-awarded-court-approval-as-stalking-horse-bidder-for-domestic-assets-of-spheris-85356647.html   Wow, court okayed and approved for MQ to go ahead and bid on April 13, for Spheris.  Plus MQ is coming out with their own EPIC and it causes 70% less dictation.  EXPECT NO JOBS AVAILABLE COMING SOON.  Also expect getting picked on with your job audits because they want to fire most of us and just keep the BEST OF THE BEST which I h ...

Going Back To School - Info On Court Reporting And/or Scoping?
Nov 06, 2010

Anybody have any info on court reporting and/or scoping? ...