A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

pathetic wages - whistlingdixie

Posted: Mar 17, 2012

Does anyone else feel this way, work hard, trying to do a good job, need to pay the bills, need the insurance and end up with $80 for a full day's work and that is sometimes on a good day but $10.00 per hour seems to be on average what I get, after looking up docs, looking up meds, relistening to blanks, relistening to diagnosis, trying to understand lab values and yada, yada, yada.  Everyday becomes a marathon just to make $10 bucks an hour - haven't earned so little for many, many years.  Remember when transcription was a respectable career and could actually feed yourself and family on it - this is ridiculous!  Anyone agree? Let's hear it! 

Not at my current job but, yeah, BTDT! - AuntieAnxiety

[ In Reply To ..]
Mercifully, I'm no longer in this predicament with my current MTSO, but I totally understand where you're coming from.

At the previous MTSO for which I worked, it was a battle every pay period to get enough work to just pay for the insurance coverage.

I finally threw in the towel and decided the insurance was a "luxury" I simply could no longer afford and went to work for a very small MTSO that didn't offer benefits, but did offer a decent pay and plenty of work, and I was able to kiss those ridiculous 60- to 80-hour work weeks scrambling for work goodbye.

At the end of the day, I'd rather purchase my own insurance policy and pay for it privately than be a slave to an overstaffed MTSO that expects you to work 24/7 just to catch enough lines to pay for benefits.

IMO, having to declare insurance a "luxury" was truly one of the lowest points in my MT career but I just had to step off of the crazy train before I hit total emotional and physical burnout. I may not have insurance at the moment, but I feel 1000% better, that's for sure.

pathetic wages - MissingMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Would you share the name of the small MTSO you work for? Your post was reassuring to know there are decent small companies still out there. I love the profession and am going to continue my quest to find a great company. Thanks!

I hear ya - Sue

[ In Reply To ..]
I work looong days too and make on average between $8 and $10 an hour depending on the doc. I type 85 wpm so I don't think my speed is the problem. It's the crappy pay these days. ~ I am in the exact same boat as you. Sad, very sad.

Yes, I feel this way - McFeist

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a small MTSO and have no benefits, but fortunately my husband works for the phone company and covers us both. I don't make a living wage, however, and I want to be able to contribute more to our savings and finances. I have no children, so I am not tied to staying at home.

I love MT. I am good at MT. I made a career change to get into MT and stop commuting 3 hours a day (1-1/2 hours each way). It was good for a while, but our work has dropped off, so I am just not able to get enough daily lines in to make what I want to make. I do straight typing and I am very spooked about getting into VR editing, so I am staying put while I retrain for something else.

I actually really do miss getting out and going to work every day, but I am not interested in going back into my previous career. I was at a crossroads there as well, meaning I needed to make a decision to either pursue a graduate degree or do something else, and I actually did take 2 semesters of graduate courses and was just miserable. That's how I came into MT. It was something I could train for and do without as much expense as graduate school, and I was losing my health from the stress of graduate school, so staying at home was very appealing to me at the time. Now I am healthy, and I cannot wait to get into something else. I do not regret getting into MT, however, because I have learned a tremendous amount in these last 4+ years, and I am sailing through these classes in my new field, which is also in health care. MT has given to me a wealth of knowledge that I otherwise would not have, and for that I am grateful, but it is time to move on now, at least for me.

I do not believe that things will get better in the MT field. I actually don't disagree that transcription/documentation costs need to be reeled in, but I am appalled that the big national MTSOs make such large profits at the expense and exploitation of the MT work force and do not pass along much, if any, savings to healthcare institutions. I also think that it will just continue on this way because there will always be a pool of new MTs that are willing to do anything to stay at home and work, thinking they will be different, and buying into what they are told by MT schools. My own technical school has dropped MT from its curriculum because they feel it is no longer a viable field for students to pursue. I will tell anyone and everyone who is thinking about getting into MT to not do it.

Well, this got long, but I wanted to share my story, especially for anyone new who might be reading these boards. Do not do it. This is not a good career choice. You will not be able to support yourself or your family on MT unless you are extremely lucky, and even then things can go downhill very fast if your situation changes. It is a very unstable field right now. It is hard, hard work. Please, please, don't do it.

Excellent post. The paragraph "I do not believe that things will get better - in the MT field

[ In Reply To ..]
IS GOLD.

The number of MTs with their heads in the sand boggles the mind. There is not a single slim thread to hold onto that indicates that wages will reverse course and actually go up.

MT has basically become - Winding Down MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks to the large-profit MTSOs who do so at the expense of the MT, they have managed to create a legal sweatshop. My hospital is phasing out in favor of outsourcing, and when it goes, I'm no longer an MT. I'm done. I even dropped my CMT because I have been completely devalued after 13 years.

In my opinion, this half-rate pay for SR editing crap - has to stop.

[ In Reply To ..]
Folks, with rare exceptions, it's been THE BIG LIE: You'll be twice as productive so you should accept half the line rate.

Let's see now. Did that EVER MAKE SENSE ANYWAY? No, of course it didn't.

There are two big questions here:

1. How in the name of Delilah did we allow ourselves to get rolled like a drunken bum outside a biker bar?

2. Just WHAT are we going to do about it, and is there a snowball's chance in Hades that we would ever stand together to CHANGE THIS?

No - I take it back. There's only ONE big question now, and it's #2 above. Okay - it's a compound question.

But I'm betting the answers are "Nothing" and "Never in a million years".

Why would it stop? - McFeist

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not trying to be sarcastic or rude, but why would it stop if people are willing to work for half the rate to edit poor-quality VR drafts? I personally am not willing to do it. That is just me, though. There are plenty of people who feel like they are stuck and that this is their only choice. My heart truly goes out to anyone who feels this way. There are plenty of new MTs that will come along and take their places when they are gone, too. There is just enough hope out there, just enough MTs out there who ARE doubling their productivity and talking about it, to give the newbies hope that they, too, will be the lucky ones. It's a lot like playing the lottery. All you have to do is hear one story about a winner to think that you might have a chance yourself at winning.

To answer your questions (the first one anyway), I think it just happened because your companies simply did it. What are people supposed to do in an economy like this? Simply get up and walk away? By the time people figured out it was awful and they weren't making nearly the money the used to, all the big MTSOs were into VR. Nowhere to go. I don't know what you could do to change it. I don't think it will ever be the way it was, though. I personally do not have the energy or passion to take it on (except to warn others thinking of entering the field), and I feel I need to get out now before my straight-typing MT job disappears. I will not edit VR drafts for the pay rates that I am seeing now, though, and certainly not with being aware of the profit margins of the big national MT companies.

VR = Working twice as hard for the same pay. - IF your lucky to see the same pay.

[ In Reply To ..]
Rates need to be raised across the board in this industry. I personally believe the minimum pay should be 6cpl not 4.

Similar Messages:

PATHETIC PAY
Nov 25, 2013

I lost my home of 21 years last year due to Nuance's pay cuts. Now I have a car that needs major repair and I have no money to repair it. How much lower do they expect their employees to go??  I have no credit cards and no access to money for car repairs, a decent place to live and they berate the quality of my work when no one ever has before.  This company is throwing me to the curb and they could care less! ...

I Know We Are All In The Same Boat, But Pathetic...SM
Oct 12, 2011

I know there are a lot of us in the same boat, but I am just so frustrated after turning my invoice in. Back in May of this year I was turning in invoices for 3 times the amount I turned in today. I was so excited because I thought I was going to hit a decent amount but about puked this morning from the lack of money. I wish I could work just ONE job that would be enough income coming in, instead, I have to have 3 and feel like I never get away from the computer and don't even come close ...

This Profession Is Pathetic
Jun 23, 2013

Cannot believe it, I am 60 years old, been doing this almost 40 years and I sat down last night and really checked things over and now with NJA all the time, my monthly bills are not covered by my 2 pay checks a month.  I do not have a high mortgage ($240 a month, can't rent a room for that), I have basic cable that is bundled with the internet (which we all need to do this job), the very minimum of phone bill ($40), and have to pay for my own health insurance (as my company  ...

FORCED To Abandon A Job...this Is Pathetic!!
Mar 17, 2010

I was just forced to abandon a job to save my pay. I've only been in my shift for 1 hour and have gotten the same horrible dictator for every report and have to send them all to QA!!!! I just went into my 4th report and SURPRISE it was the same dictator....This isn't fair!!!!! ...

Hello Digital World. I Would Like To Rant That MME Pay Is Pathetic.
Sep 28, 2011

I seriously think I would get a raise if I went back to tier 3.  Our work pool stinks with getting random stat and priority jobs from every account and then 100% QA which pays even LESS. Not to mention getting stuck with a crap schedule. Seriously MQ? Hey MTs out there, If you are thinking about testing "up" to MME, DON'T.  Harder work + more responsibility is not rewarded here. I feel scammed.  But then again, we are all scammed with the junk pay for editing ASR. Whoever dec ...

I Feel Pathetic!!! I Apply For Jobs Excitedly And Then I Sit Here (sm)
Aug 12, 2010

constantly checking my email, refreshing the browser, going through it to make sure that one has not come in "under the radar," hoping and praying for some kind of response from whatever company I have applied to.  How pathetic is that!!!!  Just a kind thank you very much but position has been filled or even an automated reply saying we received your email would help so much.  With 22 years experience I keep hoping and praying that someone will hire me, pay me above minimum wage a ...

Low Wages
Jul 21, 2010

Isn't it amazing how the cpl never seems to rise for transcriptionists?  Have these companies ever heard of cost of living?  This is pretty pathetic.  It has been 7 to 8 cpl of twenty years! ...

MT Wages
Dec 07, 2012

I want to congratulate everyone who posts on this site telling it like it is about the way these MT companies are destroying what once was a profession where you could make a decent living and actually enjoyed your job. I've been doing this for 30 years and I am still hanging on because I do not know what else to do at my age. I can barely pay my bills with what they are paying me and I am working full time. I am 68 years old and I really am not too excited about going back to school or sta ...

Wages?
Oct 31, 2013

I've taken the tests and have been offered a job with Nuance but want to know if the wage offered was the standard wage for Nuance.  I was offered 8 cpl for straight trasncription and 4 cpl for editing.  This would be for clinics only.  I've heard acute care paid more, but I've only ever had clinic experience.  Do they ever offer raises?  They mentioned a bonus program, and I've seen notes on here about people saying they have had problems getting th ...

AP - Wages
Jun 04, 2015

How many are aware of the wage disparity between different accounts (they don't find it necessary to tell us such a silly detail as the hourly wage, you have to look it up online).  With the new accounts, some pay quite low (as low as MB that no one wants to work on) and it may be a shock for those working on those accounts when they get their paychecks! Is it right of them to ask/require us to help out?  My feeling is  it is costing me to work on those accounts, as it lowers ...

Where Your Lost MQ Wages Are Going
Aug 27, 2010

From an article written 2 days ago regarding MQ's settlement of a lawsuit filed by Kaiser against Medquist (which MQ settled for 2 million, by the way):   The company reported net revenues for the three months ended June 30, 2010 as increasing $20.1 million or 25.9 percent to $97.5 million compared to $77.5 million for the three months ended June 30, 2009. ...

Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

I think a fair wage should be in relation to the economy, that which allows you to meet your baseline financial needs without having to work a second job or long hours.  I worked for a service back in the early 80s for 6.5 cents per line.  Today, nearly 30 years later, they're offering 7.5 cents per line, yet costs are sky-high.   It's pathetic.  It's sweatshop third world.  It's true, we're stuck with the way things are, but ...

WAGES-other Questions
Feb 27, 2011

I have been an MT for over 10 years for a hosital.  I am considering working for Medquist.  I currently make 19 per hour but my job is going away. I know   I can produce about 1700 lines per day mostly ISR work. Questions: How much does MQ pay per line for ISR (voice recognition) reports. Also what is the minimum work they require (lines per day). Do they pay PTO for part time? Do you get any incentives for weekend work?   How often do you run out of work? How m ...

No Raises In MT Wages
May 10, 2011

Is anyone else fed up with the fact that the wages for MTs never go up?  It has been the same low rate for years!  ...

Wages Owed - Help Me Out Here
Mar 10, 2012

I've got the form to file a complaint re:  Not getting paid for research, verifying patient name, cruddy dictators who shouldn't be in VR/ASR, etc. The person filing the complaint has to figure out how much the employer owes - any suggestions, or examples?  Say, for over a year's time? My example would be:  It takes 8 minutes to go through all my emails (a requirement of my job) weekly (yes, I timed myself) - so that's 8 x 4 = 32 minutes a month JUST for emai ...

Comparative Wages
Nov 07, 2012

Learned from my son yesterday that babysitters in Boulder, CO get $15/hour.  Do you think they have more training and experience than we do? ...

Unemployment Wages
Nov 18, 2013

If you are a production employee, employee status, do youl qualify for unemployment benefits (Nuance, formerly Accentus, formerly Zylomed)? ...

Wages And Compensation
Aug 07, 2014

I came into this field long after the precedent was set on pay.  I knew coming into this that the average wage ran from 6 cpl to 10 cpl, with most jobs hovering around 7 to 8 cpl.  What I didn't account for was that in more than 10 or 15 years, we'd still be at that rate.  Not only has our wage not gone up in over a decade, even with cost of living increases, but that when they came out with speech recognition, someone thought, "Well, it's doing half the work, so y ...

TTS Ridiculous Wages
Feb 19, 2015

It kinda looks like TTS can't get anyone to work for them with their ridiculous wages.  You'd think they would have figured it out by now.  ...

Question About Garnishment Of Wages
Nov 10, 2009

I just recently found out that my wages are being garnished.  I knew it was coming and I decided maybe it wasn't a bad idea in order to pay back this debt.  The problem is they are taking 20% of my disposable income which is a considerable amount!  I am a single mom with two kids and 20% is simply too much and doesn't leave us much to live on.  I did my research and found that in the state of Missouri if you are head of household and the only income, a creditor can ...

Those Owed Wages By DIT Please Read!!!
Jul 10, 2010

I worked for DIT from 01/10 through 03/10.  I quit when I didn't receive my first paycheck on time.  At this point DIT still owes me $278.  From the other posts I've seen, it looks like DIT Transcription has been doing this to their MTs for a couple of years now.  They just brought on a bunch of new clinics, yet my final paycheck from them bounced.  To add insult to injury, my bank charged ME an NSF fee.   Both the South Carolina Labor Board and State of ...

Followup To Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

Serious question: Why do you stay? ...

ATSI Nonpayment Of Wages
Aug 13, 2011

This is just a warning message to hopefully prevent other MTs from going through my experience.  ATSI still owes me three paychecks, which were repeatedly promised to be paid day after day, week after week, then we were informed they legally had to pay by August the 8th.  Most of us have still not been paid.  I just learned that David Shepherd and his wife, Terry, also control M T World.  I am now employed elsewhere, but it will take months to undo the damage this company did ...

Low Wages Being Offered By So Many MTSOs
Jul 04, 2012

As a seasoned medical transcriptionist with over 30 years of experience, I can no longer contain my irritation with the low wages being offered by so many MTSOs.  Therefore, rather than apply for the low-wage positions, I am e-mailing these companies and letting them know how insulting their wages are and what an asset I would be to their company, but refuse to accept these low wages. Some of you may not agree, but this is my form of protesting what has become of the medical transcription p ...

Companies Deducting From Your Wages
Aug 13, 2012

On the Company board, someone commented that Global Information Systems is deducting $5.00 per error.  THIS IS WRONG and it DOES make your company irreputable.  Another person commented their company was reputable and does the same thing.  In what world is it sensible to say a company is reputable and then cite how they behave illegally? This link fills you in.  Your company can't deduct your wages unless you signed an agreement saying they could.  And if you did t ...

Unpaid Insurance And Wages.
Aug 24, 2012

What would you think if you went to make a dental appt and were told you had no coverage due to non-payment by your employer and the insurance company cancelled you, but..... the premiums are still being taken out.  Or if you did not get your paycheck last payday or were $$$ short? ...

Is There An Option To Slave Wages?
Sep 10, 2012

Can we pinpoint the reasons we are working for slave wages and unfair treatment? I'm hearing EMR and TAT, but don't we have the ability to provide the same service directly to physicians with software we can download for free? Didn't most of us provide 24-hour turnaround? Has EMG made it to technical to keep up with? Why would a physician choose to pay an MTSO more than they were paying us as ICs when their primary concerns seems to be saving money? Has anyone surveyed wha ...

Softscript - Lost Wages
Oct 01, 2012

The recruiter is not the only serious problem they have.  Any former MTs at SS who are interested in being paid their lost wages should get in touch with me.  You should only contact me if you have documentation you are willing to share.  ...

For The First Time, I Qualify For EIC Because Of MM Wages
Mar 30, 2013

Guess I have sunk to a new low. With ASR and NJA, I have joined the working poor. Can't wait until I finish school and get out of here. My wage is less than when I started MT 25 years ago. Just trying to hold on until I finish school. ...

Any More Info On Why Only Some MTs Got Back Wages From K&R?
Aug 07, 2013

DOL says some of us are not on the list, what's up with that? ...