A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Companies deducting from your wages - IS ILLEGAL

Posted: Aug 13, 2012

On the Company board, someone commented that Global Information Systems is deducting $5.00 per error.  THIS IS WRONG and it DOES make your company irreputable.  Another person commented their company was reputable and does the same thing.  In what world is it sensible to say a company is reputable and then cite how they behave illegally?

This link fills you in.  Your company can't deduct your wages unless you signed an agreement saying they could.  And if you did that, well, fill in the inevitable response to that.

Unfortunately - people

[ In Reply To ..]
must be okay with that since they are still in business. I know the first time they took money out of my check for an error would be when they get a lawyer calling them. Amazing that people would allow this to happen. It is people allowing stuff like this that is causing our pay to go down, down, down.

Companies who deduct - NEPAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for a well-known MTSO who deducts $5.00, $10.00, and then $25.00 (in consecutive occurrences), for entering incorrect patient information into the demographic screen or choosing or not choosing the correct CC recipient. I thought this was somewhat reasonable until the doctor rambled the patient's name/MRN # off so fast you could not make out what was said. I put a note in the comments section and marked for QA stating "inaudible patient information" and still got docked $5.00 for it.

This is a totally unfair practice. If this is done to cut down on patient error, then the MTSO needs to be in constant communication with the client to resolve the issue. If the MTSO is doing it to profit, this is unethical.

Sorry - but I

[ In Reply To ..]
don't think it is right in any instance.
No, it is never right. But if MT signs contract saying this is possibility, - they are just getting what they signed up for. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

I dont work there but I bet agreeing to this is a provision in - all contracts. It probably says SM

[ In Reply To ..]
it is a possibility this can happen. I doubt it says it happens with every error. MTs dont read their contracts for the most part. Heck, most dont even know how they are paid and never check their line cts against what the MTSO says their line cts are. I would also bet if an MT made an error here or there, nothing would be deducted. I bet this is a last ditch effort to make those borderline MTs ship up or ship out. Ok, now with all the replies stating how good an MT is. Yes, most are good. This is directed to those MTs who are not so good.

Oops, SHAPE up or ship out. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I recently worked for three companies who had this practice.... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
and there was NOTHING stated in the contract about reducing pay for any errors, critical or otherwise. Most of the time it happened with comma placement, etc...nitpicky trivial errors that are mostly subjective and not written down anywhere, with QA being inconsistent and never having anything the same way twice. I count my lines daily with every client that I have so that I know exactly what to expect. With these same three companies, the line counts were always different from what I had. There was no notification of QA reducing pay due to errors, it just started happening directly after coming off of full QA. So, you are wrong on all of your suppositions. Stop trying to blame the MT and start putting the blame on these companies that try to get away with everything they can to keep their money and not pay you for what you do...oh, and by the way...in EVERY instance with "punitive QA" it was the QA person who acquired the pay and lines deducted from the employees for any perceived errors, so QA had an "incentive" to continue the practice with everyone! grr.

Cool down a sec. Then you should have called a lawyer if there was - nil in contract about that. I am talking SM

[ In Reply To ..]
about the MTSO that DOES have that as an option in her contract. They are out there, I have worked for some but excessive errors was never a concern for me. And certainly you dont think every single MT reads her contract when most dont even verify their line cts.

And yes, I do blame MTs that beleive the MTSO has their best interest at heart so they dont verify lc and they dont read contracts. And I blame any MT who would stay with an MTSO who is docking them if no mention was made of that in the contract. If it was in the contract and MT signed, then docking is what they are signing on for.

As more a qa person than MT, but having done both, I agree qa'ing is very subjective but I have to laugh at the notion that editors look for meaningless mistakes in order to pad their paychecks. In DQS, editors get paid for NO changes they make to a document. They get paid based on the document YOU put into the system. So adding commas and whatever else, would be a waste of time with no fininacial benefit. I am sure most other MTSOs pay qa the same way as just another way to take money out of the MT/Editor pockets.

But bless your heart, that you have given so much thought to this. Too bad none of it has any basis in fact.
QA and meaningless changes - anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked in QA at a couple of companies and QA does not get paid for "changes."

However, as an MT I think some QA people get some kind of sick pleasure in failing audits. I have personally never had so many changes to minor things like commas or insignificant wording as I have had this past year (my MTSO basis incentive on QA so they have a motive to fail us).

There are plenty of great QA people out there who understand the goal is to catch critical errors not futz around with commas, but then there is that group of what I can only imagine are frustrated grammar mavens who live in a house filled with cats and tchotchkes who get a high from feeling superior to others.
I totally agree. And any MTSO that bases incentive on qa, you - know is up to no good. Red Flag. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Exactly, which is why I left them in record time... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
never saw it coming...had no expectations that it would...and left as soon as it started happening. One place even told me that I had made a "critical error" of using the term "plane xrays" as opposed to "plain xrays" and asked me why I had gotten it right in my "test" and failed to use the right one in regular dictations. I went back to locate my test and no mention had ever been made of "plain xrays" "plane xrays" or otherwise, as the imaging portion of the dictation had specifically stated "Xrays dictated on a separate dictation." I checked the whole document several times and no mention of plain xrays or plane xrays had ever been mentioned in my test. So I knew they were lying and just looking for excuses to be punitive. Plain xrays was one of the very first things I had learned and after 10 years of doing transcription, I have never used "plane xrays." I quit right then and there. People, watch your line counts, as many places do NOT tell you they have punitive QA, probably count on you not keeping track, and deduct from your line count for simplistic "errors". Keep copies of your transcriptions, if you can, because you may need to prove you did not do what they said you did, but of course, if you challenge them in any way, shape, or form, you may be looking at getting fired. These places do not like to be questioned about anything.

blaming the MT - just do not get it

[ In Reply To ..]
OK, so say an MT doesn't have it in their contract they likely didn't read, WHY would you stay once it happened once? Don't give me cause I need a job because if you do, then you ARE to blame. (I'm not big into the word blame as it's useless but responding to your use of it.)

If you allow your check to be docked, if you allow yourself to have lines ripped off, then YOU are the one who is accountable for the remedy. And that might mean leaving your oh so wonderful job (not!) As long as people keep letting services get away with this stuff, there's no reason for them to stop it.

You CHOOSE who you work for and you CHOOSE who you stay working for. You CHOOSE to allow yourself to be abused -- or you CHOOSE to get out.
you obviously did not read my post very carefully.... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
as I clearly stated that as soon as I realized they were a punitive QA and were taking money from me due to perceived errors, I did, in fact, QUIT! three different places, three different times, with not one of them for more than 30 days each! I CHOSE not to be abused by these places, and I can name names, if you want, and I did CHOOSE to get out, so stop trying to find a way to blame me, and go find another horse to climb up on! I choose not to be abused by you either. !!!
I would think - by now
[ In Reply To ..]
it would be obvious when it was a generic "you" and not a personal "you" but obviously there I go ASSUMING again.

Good for you if you got out. Pretty interesting odds that you had this "same issue" with three separate companies but you (personal you) got yourself out of the situation so kudos to you.

BTW- I did read your post carefully and you demanded MTs not be blamed, which was my point - sometimes they share the blame.
you forgot the word "sometimes" and yes... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
you assume too much....sometimes.

I now currently work for three other places with consistent QA and do not have funds taken from me for any errors. My QA scores are actually quite good. and yes, it is pretty interesting odds that I had this "same issue" with three different places, and I cannot explain why, except that I was "guided" to these places by others and perhaps did not investigate the company backgrounds a bit more before carefully before applying. It won't ever happen again. These were rather large companies, as well, which probably made them feel like they could get away with it. Well, not with this lady! for sure!
You are so outraged that this happened but what did you do to - stop it? Call lawyer, DOL? SM
[ In Reply To ..]
No, you just bailed, leaving your sister MTs to suffer this abuse. If you think it so horrible, why not try to stop the abuse?
because I don't have the time or money for a lawyer...do u? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
"sister MTs" can fend for themselves, much like I did. Nobody had MY back. Nobody warned ME, but actually LED me into it, as so-called "friends." can't trust anybody these days. I will give you the names of the companies....YOU contact lawyer. Not worth it to me.
you don't need a lawyer - dept of labor will handle it - fyi everyone
[ In Reply To ..]
that's what the DOL is for.
No they will not handle it. Plenty of MTs have - reported abuses and SM
[ In Reply To ..]
nothing is ever done.
Such a generic excuse to not do anything!. How many are plenty? - Where do you get your info? nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Request for your expertise - daisy
[ In Reply To ..]
Would love to get your thoughts on our live one-on-one legal advice platform http://www.expertbooth.com/Legal-Services/

You can contact me at ceo@expertbooth.com
Choices.... - me
[ In Reply To ..]
You must be young and healthy... or otherwise.....have other means to support yourself or have somebody support you while you "protect/fight your rights." Life is not always black and white---but several shades of gray.

50 even! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Choices - just do not get it
[ In Reply To ..]
No, I"m mid 50s, have done this for 35 years, mostly average health, single, self-supporting.

Do only the young have choices?

MTSO deducting for errors. - TF

[ In Reply To ..]
IMHO, if an MT is consistently making those kinds of errors they should be FIRED. End of story. Sounds to me like the MTSO's are profiting off of this. My company actually will dock triple lines for incorrect patient info (why not FIRE the moron??), double for incorrect CC, sending with wrong dictator, etc (again, FIRE THEM!), and just the lines for blatant errors (baloney amputation anyone??).

Similar Messages:

Deducting From QA For Blanks
Aug 10, 2013

Is it common for the transcription services to deduct from our QA score now, or is this exclusive to Nuance?  I'm pretty frustrated today:  VR had said 14 cm, but it sure sounded like 40 cm, but it was an orbital rim fracture (a small area), so I was reluctant to change it to 40 without another pair of ears.  I put this in an elaboration (which we're not paid for) and found I was dinged 0.25 for my efforts (only thing "wrong" with the report).  I'm not sure I c ...

Wait A Minute...They Are Figuring LPH AFTER Deducting
Jan 15, 2015

It just occurred to me. Not only are we getting a 5% deduction for having a "good platform" but the LPH (Lines Per Hour) are also figured AFTER taking off the 5%. So if I actually TYPE 950 lines in 5 hours which is 190 LPH, now I am only getting 902 lines in 5 hours which is 180.5 LPH, which drops me down a tier on the grid which ALSO docks my pay BESIDES the 5% they are docking for the "good platform." You would not think that 5% makes a difference, but it DOES. I checked this with my payst ...

QA Score Deducting Points If They Are Able To Resolve The Blank...
Jan 29, 2015

Is this new? I just noticed that the last report I had sent to QA had .25 points deducted because they were able to fill in my blank. I know these scores don't count like QC scores do, but I find it bizare that they deduct points for it. I feel like I'm being punished for not being as swift as a QC person. Yikes! I did hear what the doctor said, but it didn't make sense to me so I wanted another opinion before it went to the client. Isn't that what we are supposed to do! ...

Low Wages
Jul 21, 2010

Isn't it amazing how the cpl never seems to rise for transcriptionists?  Have these companies ever heard of cost of living?  This is pretty pathetic.  It has been 7 to 8 cpl of twenty years! ...

MT Wages
Dec 07, 2012

I want to congratulate everyone who posts on this site telling it like it is about the way these MT companies are destroying what once was a profession where you could make a decent living and actually enjoyed your job. I've been doing this for 30 years and I am still hanging on because I do not know what else to do at my age. I can barely pay my bills with what they are paying me and I am working full time. I am 68 years old and I really am not too excited about going back to school or sta ...

Wages?
Oct 31, 2013

I've taken the tests and have been offered a job with Nuance but want to know if the wage offered was the standard wage for Nuance.  I was offered 8 cpl for straight trasncription and 4 cpl for editing.  This would be for clinics only.  I've heard acute care paid more, but I've only ever had clinic experience.  Do they ever offer raises?  They mentioned a bonus program, and I've seen notes on here about people saying they have had problems getting th ...

AP - Wages
Jun 04, 2015

How many are aware of the wage disparity between different accounts (they don't find it necessary to tell us such a silly detail as the hourly wage, you have to look it up online).  With the new accounts, some pay quite low (as low as MB that no one wants to work on) and it may be a shock for those working on those accounts when they get their paychecks! Is it right of them to ask/require us to help out?  My feeling is  it is costing me to work on those accounts, as it lowers ...

Where Your Lost MQ Wages Are Going
Aug 27, 2010

From an article written 2 days ago regarding MQ's settlement of a lawsuit filed by Kaiser against Medquist (which MQ settled for 2 million, by the way):   The company reported net revenues for the three months ended June 30, 2010 as increasing $20.1 million or 25.9 percent to $97.5 million compared to $77.5 million for the three months ended June 30, 2009. ...

Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

I think a fair wage should be in relation to the economy, that which allows you to meet your baseline financial needs without having to work a second job or long hours.  I worked for a service back in the early 80s for 6.5 cents per line.  Today, nearly 30 years later, they're offering 7.5 cents per line, yet costs are sky-high.   It's pathetic.  It's sweatshop third world.  It's true, we're stuck with the way things are, but ...

WAGES-other Questions
Feb 27, 2011

I have been an MT for over 10 years for a hosital.  I am considering working for Medquist.  I currently make 19 per hour but my job is going away. I know   I can produce about 1700 lines per day mostly ISR work. Questions: How much does MQ pay per line for ISR (voice recognition) reports. Also what is the minimum work they require (lines per day). Do they pay PTO for part time? Do you get any incentives for weekend work?   How often do you run out of work? How m ...

No Raises In MT Wages
May 10, 2011

Is anyone else fed up with the fact that the wages for MTs never go up?  It has been the same low rate for years!  ...

Wages Owed - Help Me Out Here
Mar 10, 2012

I've got the form to file a complaint re:  Not getting paid for research, verifying patient name, cruddy dictators who shouldn't be in VR/ASR, etc. The person filing the complaint has to figure out how much the employer owes - any suggestions, or examples?  Say, for over a year's time? My example would be:  It takes 8 minutes to go through all my emails (a requirement of my job) weekly (yes, I timed myself) - so that's 8 x 4 = 32 minutes a month JUST for emai ...

Pathetic Wages
Mar 17, 2012

Does anyone else feel this way, work hard, trying to do a good job, need to pay the bills, need the insurance and end up with $80 for a full day's work and that is sometimes on a good day but $10.00 per hour seems to be on average what I get, after looking up docs, looking up meds, relistening to blanks, relistening to diagnosis, trying to understand lab values and yada, yada, yada.  Everyday becomes a marathon just to make $10 bucks an hour - haven't earned so little for man ...

Comparative Wages
Nov 07, 2012

Learned from my son yesterday that babysitters in Boulder, CO get $15/hour.  Do you think they have more training and experience than we do? ...

Unemployment Wages
Nov 18, 2013

If you are a production employee, employee status, do youl qualify for unemployment benefits (Nuance, formerly Accentus, formerly Zylomed)? ...

Wages And Compensation
Aug 07, 2014

I came into this field long after the precedent was set on pay.  I knew coming into this that the average wage ran from 6 cpl to 10 cpl, with most jobs hovering around 7 to 8 cpl.  What I didn't account for was that in more than 10 or 15 years, we'd still be at that rate.  Not only has our wage not gone up in over a decade, even with cost of living increases, but that when they came out with speech recognition, someone thought, "Well, it's doing half the work, so y ...

TTS Ridiculous Wages
Feb 19, 2015

It kinda looks like TTS can't get anyone to work for them with their ridiculous wages.  You'd think they would have figured it out by now.  ...

Question About Garnishment Of Wages
Nov 10, 2009

I just recently found out that my wages are being garnished.  I knew it was coming and I decided maybe it wasn't a bad idea in order to pay back this debt.  The problem is they are taking 20% of my disposable income which is a considerable amount!  I am a single mom with two kids and 20% is simply too much and doesn't leave us much to live on.  I did my research and found that in the state of Missouri if you are head of household and the only income, a creditor can ...

Those Owed Wages By DIT Please Read!!!
Jul 10, 2010

I worked for DIT from 01/10 through 03/10.  I quit when I didn't receive my first paycheck on time.  At this point DIT still owes me $278.  From the other posts I've seen, it looks like DIT Transcription has been doing this to their MTs for a couple of years now.  They just brought on a bunch of new clinics, yet my final paycheck from them bounced.  To add insult to injury, my bank charged ME an NSF fee.   Both the South Carolina Labor Board and State of ...

Followup To Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

Serious question: Why do you stay? ...

ATSI Nonpayment Of Wages
Aug 13, 2011

This is just a warning message to hopefully prevent other MTs from going through my experience.  ATSI still owes me three paychecks, which were repeatedly promised to be paid day after day, week after week, then we were informed they legally had to pay by August the 8th.  Most of us have still not been paid.  I just learned that David Shepherd and his wife, Terry, also control M T World.  I am now employed elsewhere, but it will take months to undo the damage this company did ...

Low Wages Being Offered By So Many MTSOs
Jul 04, 2012

As a seasoned medical transcriptionist with over 30 years of experience, I can no longer contain my irritation with the low wages being offered by so many MTSOs.  Therefore, rather than apply for the low-wage positions, I am e-mailing these companies and letting them know how insulting their wages are and what an asset I would be to their company, but refuse to accept these low wages. Some of you may not agree, but this is my form of protesting what has become of the medical transcription p ...

Unpaid Insurance And Wages.
Aug 24, 2012

What would you think if you went to make a dental appt and were told you had no coverage due to non-payment by your employer and the insurance company cancelled you, but..... the premiums are still being taken out.  Or if you did not get your paycheck last payday or were $$$ short? ...

Is There An Option To Slave Wages?
Sep 10, 2012

Can we pinpoint the reasons we are working for slave wages and unfair treatment? I'm hearing EMR and TAT, but don't we have the ability to provide the same service directly to physicians with software we can download for free? Didn't most of us provide 24-hour turnaround? Has EMG made it to technical to keep up with? Why would a physician choose to pay an MTSO more than they were paying us as ICs when their primary concerns seems to be saving money? Has anyone surveyed wha ...

Softscript - Lost Wages
Oct 01, 2012

The recruiter is not the only serious problem they have.  Any former MTs at SS who are interested in being paid their lost wages should get in touch with me.  You should only contact me if you have documentation you are willing to share.  ...

For The First Time, I Qualify For EIC Because Of MM Wages
Mar 30, 2013

Guess I have sunk to a new low. With ASR and NJA, I have joined the working poor. Can't wait until I finish school and get out of here. My wage is less than when I started MT 25 years ago. Just trying to hold on until I finish school. ...

Any More Info On Why Only Some MTs Got Back Wages From K&R?
Aug 07, 2013

DOL says some of us are not on the list, what's up with that? ...

Possible Reason Only Some MTs Got Back Wages
Aug 08, 2013

My employer, who has several VA contracts, was audited by the DOL last year.  The findings of the audit were that the employer should have been paying us the prevailing hourly wage because the contracts were federal government contracts.  Many people got back pay for the period of time for which the books were audited, but not everyone did because the DOL only audited one of our accounts.  Even though all the rest of the MTs were paid exactly the same way (on a production basis), ...

My Wages Have Been Cut In Half Since Going From Transcribing To SR
May 27, 2014

My wages have been cut in half since going from transcribing to SR.  Anybody else? ...

Still Low Wages. Wonder If It Is Because Nuance, The Dragon, Gets A
Jun 13, 2014

The Dragon and sending work to India and the Philippines has taken over the hospitals.  Nuance is the Dragon and they now get their 2 cents.  That is part of the reason our pay has gone down...eaten up by the year of the Dragon.   Guess that would mean health care has gone to the Dragon, the CEOs and insurance companies. ...