A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

No raises in MT wages - Deb

Posted: May 10, 2011

Is anyone else fed up with the fact that the wages for MTs never go up?  It has been the same low rate for years! 

Yes, fed up. You want a cost of living raise? - Work faster/harder.

[ In Reply To ..]
There's your well-deserved raise.

I once fell for that. -sm - MT Wordz

[ In Reply To ..]
But now that the pay is so low, even if you double your output, the resulting paycheck won't be that much larger that it'll put a dent in our poverty. So I just don't care anymore. I just do what I can, but no longer push to produce high volumes of perfect work. They'll just have to live with low volumes of almost-perfect work, instead.

Until there is actually some kind of BENEFIT TO US, THE MT'S, for working harder and faster, then why should I even care any more? I try to care, but I just don't.

my opinion - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
It may be because they MTSOs are not raising their rates for their clients so if they gave MT raises then they wouldn't be in business. Not to be rude, but you should care about the quality of your work because these are lives we're dealing with.
absurd - icedT
[ In Reply To ..]
It's ridiculous to state that "you should care about the quality of your work because these are lives we're dealing with" when the OP was referring to the lack of pay raises. Yes, not only is it rude, but it's also condescending. What gave you the impression that she did not care about the quality of her work?

Most working people seek a better wage and lifestyle for themselves and their families. Just because we never get a raise and, in fact, the wages are going DOWN over the past years, has absolutely nothing to do with our attention to the details of our work. As a matter of fact, I would be willing to make a wager that MTs who are paid a higher amount are more likely going to focus on quality instead of lines, lines, lines. Think about it. That's probably the main reason why MTSOs don't pay hourly.
except - LMJ
[ In Reply To ..]
she wasn't talking to the OP. Follow the conversation, it makes more sense then.
Except also, :) - (Fussy MTs still have room for more speed.)
[ In Reply To ..]
The drop in quality mentioned was clearly referring to the extra polish some of us give--beyond just making sure medical information is related correctly and readably.

For years now, e-mails and training memos from my 2 companies have been telling us NOT to correct to "proper" written language, to accept a "basic communication" level--will they understand it as is? If yes, make sure subject-verb agreement is okay and leave the rest. The hospitals like proper style but most will not pay for it, the MTSOs like it but are not being paid for it, and we haven't been paid for it for a long time, but a whole lot of us are still doing it on our own dime.

Like the poster above, I'm running out of room for improvement in speed just by using technology. That leaves finding more speed in streamlining my corrections toward what is actually required. It fights my picky notions, but there's actually a fair amount of room there for further speed.

As I said on another thread, that final comma between the last 2 objects in a series is history. I don't care if the company did perversely ask for it or if SR is placing it in a lot of places, I'm not bunny-hopping through sentences to drop the missed ones in. And so on. A keyboard that'd slap my hands for misbehaving would be very helpful, but I'm trying to remember that even 20 fewer polish-type corrections to our typically messy SR reports should show noticeable improvement to my line counts.

BTW, although not specifically stated, I do believe my employer expects this as a result of these pay cuts from the many of us who can change our ways. That, of course, still leaves those unfortunate few who simply cannot. Professional counseling would help some of them, but of course nobody'll pay for that either.
I feel the same way - Shirl
[ In Reply To ..]
Numbered lists should be lined up with the left margin, but Word always indents it. I'm not going to fix it anymore. Too much hand movement.

One client wants us to "fix" the grammar if it's dictated like "no headache, no dizziness, no loss of consciousness" to "no headache, dizziness or loss of consciousness," yet now they're asking us to remove "unnecessary" hyphens. ??

We can end up not being paid for a report, on top of paying a $25 fee, if there are major patient care errors. What if my leaving out an "unnecessary" hyphen results in no pay? Whose fault is that? According to our contract it's the MT's fault, even if the MTSO played a part in it.

They want it both ways - fewer expenses plus higher quality. Really? Something has got to give.
Wow, Shirl. It sounds like your company is really - turning the screws. Use your
[ In Reply To ..]
valuable time to remove hyphens that are correct, just not "necessary?" Why? So they don't have to pay for them? Seriously, unless there are genuine offsetting benefits, I'd say the situation you describe is sufficient reason to look for a new job. My company isn't perfect, but we're paid for all work and there are no fines (just warnings and firings, no doubt).

Technically, not "fixing" a tidy indented list just so it can look the same as other reports is definitely the sort of genuinely unnecessary time-consumer I was talking about. However, an important point is that it apparently is on your company's to-do list--as opposed to the sort of stuff my last 2 employers would like us to loosen up on so we can get through more reports faster. They'd tell us to please leave the stupid hyphens alone if they're not actually incorrect. :)
Which is why I haven't signed the new contract yet. - Shirl
[ In Reply To ..]
I'll be moving up to the north woods soon. The only internet access we can get is through Verizon, and it's limited to 5K per billing cycle. I'll most likely be "forced" to quit.

I don't get this hyphen rule. We get paid whether it's a space or a character. They aren't saving money as far as I know.

Who wants my job? I have more than enough work available. It's an IC position - horrible taxes.
Interesting, Shirl. I'd like to know how you fare - if you try to work from there.
[ In Reply To ..]
I suspect there may be a physician within 30 miles who'd be delighted to have you come pick up his tapes, though. :)

Something that crossed my mind was that a client may have fussed about the hyphens. So easy to promise to make them happy and pass the cost on to us. Even somewhat defensible, too. I signed on this morning and learned one of my accounts yesterday is offshore today. Instant wean for those of us who've developed an unfortunate dependence.
You can turn that off in the tool bar - IMANMT2
[ In Reply To ..]
the automatic numbering and indenting and number manually and tab for your space over to make everything square and pretty. That automatic indent, numbering, and bullets sometimes get all mixed up in an upload anyway.
I've tried many times to do that. - Shirl
[ In Reply To ..]
It rarely sticks. I had a macro for doing numbered lists; it kept disappearing. I've stopped fighting it and just drag and drop the list on the left margin.
READ... - just me
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe you should read her post. She did say...
"So I just don't care anymore. I just do what I can, but no longer push to produce high volumes of perfect work. They'll just have to live with low volumes of almost-perfect work, instead. Until there is actually some kind of BENEFIT TO US, THE MT'S, for working harder and faster, then why should I even care any more? I try to care, but I just don't."

And NO, that's not being rude. That is stating a fact.
Typos don't kill patients. Doctors and nurses do. - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]

Weeding out the weeds - LMJ

[ In Reply To ..]
And you are the kind of MT who is being weeded out and should be, IMO. If you aren't willing to do the job, why even stay?
Because I don't even care enough to quit. - ;p
[ In Reply To ..]

They've gone down, Deb. - AnotherDeb

[ In Reply To ..]

Paycuts - ooo

[ In Reply To ..]
At this point I'm just grateful to have a job of any sorts. My company had to have us take pay cuts to keep existing contracts to be competitive. It's gotten to be a real cut-throat business. I think if you want more $$$$ you need to look into another career! Counting days to Social Security here! If I were younger I'd look into billing.

You know, I think this is our industry's version of - the great recession, thus

[ In Reply To ..]
that we've fared somewhat better than many. As the economy improves and the trauma to providers of moving to the EHR settles down, things will improve for us. Many of the forced cutbacks and technical changes so hopefully made are bad for patient care, below a sustainable level, and thus will require rethinking.
The problem is, when the economy picks up again, - MT wages will still be going down. :(
[ In Reply To ..]
So the "recession" for people with normal jobs will be over, but for us, faced with even higher prices for everything, yet still-declining wages, it will likely be an all-out DEPRESSION.
Actually, many MT classes are going unfilled (big surprise) and - employers expect a shortage of MTs. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
Wages do not go down in that situation and typically pick up enough to draw more people to that work.

I've also heard, as I think I touched on briefly, that quality is being cut dangerously far in some cases. I used to work in commercial insurance and always figured that one would inevitably eventually create its own correction, also to our benefit.

Also what I was getting at is that, while hundreds of thousands of people in other industries were let go in this recession, in many cases from jobs that will not be coming back, ours has experienced line rate cuts, but no net job loss. It's actually been a pretty safe haven for most of us, lower incomes notwithstanding. (The change to SR so many are struggling with is a different issue.)

In any case, I just thought I'd point some of this stuff out. It's easy to be pessimistic when you're sitting in a hole staring at the wall. :)
Job loss - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
How then, do you explain hospitals and other facilities who lay off entire departments because they decide to outsource? Some of those jobs are retained if the MTs choose to go with the company who gets the contract, but many find themselves out of work. India and other countries are getting a lot of transcription work; those jobs probably are not coming back. VR and point and click technology are also eliminating MT jobs. I'd like to see the statistics that show no net domestic MT job loss.
People with "normal" jobs tend to have no work at all right now - Their jobs probably gone forever overseas
[ In Reply To ..]
There are so very many people who have no work at all. Most of them probably aren't coming back. At least some MTs do have work. That's a whole lot better than nothing.
Right now hospitals are hurting because people can't afford medical care - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
People who lost jobs have no way to pay for medical care. It's costing the hospitals millions of dollars. It's going to be a long time before the economy picks up and companies start hiring again.
cannot afford the insurace. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Annual Raises Or Merit Raises?
Dec 03, 2014

Does any MTSO do this?  I mean, either an annual cost of living raise or a merit raise based on a regular annual review.  Or both. If none of the above, are you able to just ask your boss for a raise when you feel it's appropriate?  Does it work? ...

Raises????
Jun 28, 2013

I have been working for a compnay since 12/2007.  In that period of time I have worked multiple accounts, learned multiple new software systems and have always gone above and beyond - working over/extra to ensure we stay in our TAT.  In the 5-1/2 years I have been working for them, I have not had a single line rate increase.  Is this the normal?  ...

QC Raises?
Jul 02, 2013

Anybody who is a QC ever ask for a raise? I got promoted to a QC from an MLS within Nuance. They estimated my rate by averaging my lines per hour, then adding $2 to it as my rate for being a QC. I've been at that rate only 7 months, but see lots of posts here about people being offered jobs in QC at $13 an hour and that is more than I make. Should I ask about a raise? Has anybody ever had luck asking for one? ...

Pay Raises
Mar 25, 2015

I have a question for all you MTs out there.  I have been with the same company for 8 years now and am still making the same cpl as I was when I was hired.  Is this the norm?  I would think a raise should be in order at some point.  I am very reliable, always make production or over production, very accurate.  Just kinda feeling unloved!  LOL! ...

TIRED OF NO RAISES, VERY LITTLE PAY
Nov 30, 2009

Visit:  http://www.opeiu.org/ContactUs/tabid/100/Default.aspx We deserve to be protected:  "Your right to form a union is protected by long-standing U.S. labor laws. While most employers use all kinds of excuses why unions aren’t needed and put up challenges to block organizing efforts, workers succeed every day in building powerful employee organizations. OPEIU can provide you and your co-workers with the tools and support needed to organize a union where you work. You can ...

Companies And Raises?
Feb 18, 2010

After being at a company 2 1/2 years, does anyone thing it is acceptable to email and ask the company for a raise? ...

Raises (don't Laugh, I'm Serious).
Jan 06, 2011

Has anybody asked their company for a raise within the last year and gotten one ?  Just curious.  ...

Independent Contracting And Raises
Oct 26, 2009

I am finally leaving the broken world of transcription vending to become an independent contractor once again.  I am so very fortunate enough to have benefits through my husband's employer, so it's the pay I am really missing.  Is it unreasonable to put a raise in the contract?  The hospital basically told me they are not contracting for as much $ as they used to (yet another slap in the face of my career), and kind of hinted that raises are a joke.  When I follow ...

WEBMEDX Hands Out Raises!!!!
Sep 11, 2010

See (lol), anyone can come up with a Shock and Awe type of title/campaign to get peoples attention to read their post. I mean really, Spyware?!?? Give me a break Pete. It was just about as silly and borderline slanderous as your post! Monitoring keystrokes goes back to the inception of computers being used in transcription. THESE REPORTS WERE DESIGNED TO HELP...END STORY Look,companies hire and they lay off, its never pretty. I am sure that the layoff was unavoidable as MTSO's are not into ...

Does Amphion Give Raises? Nm
Oct 03, 2010

nm ...

How Much Does Proscript Pay And Do They Give Raises? NM
Sep 10, 2013

Thank you. ...

Nuance Does Not Give Raises.
Oct 01, 2014

Maybe you are new and think they will.  Maybe you are old and think they will.  They won't.  Maybe they don't use this tactic anymore, but when I was there it was "Give Yourself A Raise." That meant produce more.  They don't give raises.  Don't waste your time E-mailing anybody.  Get mad.  Sure.  Even quit, find yourself a better career.  But don't hold your breath.  There will be no raises.  They don't need you ...

Here's A Quick, Interesting Read That Raises My
Jan 20, 2012

that maybe 2012 will be the year that the elephant in the room, OFFSHORING AMERICAN JOBS, and the perks which companies get for doing so, will finally get a spotlight thrown upon it:   ...

130 Percent Profit But Cannot Give Raises.
May 29, 2015

I listened to the meeting. At least I get paid my hourly rate.  ...

Just Wondrin' When MedQ Took Away Incentive, And Promised Raises
Apr 06, 2010

Memo promised all those high producers who were making the incentive grade would be compensated in the form of a raise...anbody here get one?  ...

Low Wages
Jul 21, 2010

Isn't it amazing how the cpl never seems to rise for transcriptionists?  Have these companies ever heard of cost of living?  This is pretty pathetic.  It has been 7 to 8 cpl of twenty years! ...

MT Wages
Dec 07, 2012

I want to congratulate everyone who posts on this site telling it like it is about the way these MT companies are destroying what once was a profession where you could make a decent living and actually enjoyed your job. I've been doing this for 30 years and I am still hanging on because I do not know what else to do at my age. I can barely pay my bills with what they are paying me and I am working full time. I am 68 years old and I really am not too excited about going back to school or sta ...

Wages?
Oct 31, 2013

I've taken the tests and have been offered a job with Nuance but want to know if the wage offered was the standard wage for Nuance.  I was offered 8 cpl for straight trasncription and 4 cpl for editing.  This would be for clinics only.  I've heard acute care paid more, but I've only ever had clinic experience.  Do they ever offer raises?  They mentioned a bonus program, and I've seen notes on here about people saying they have had problems getting th ...

AP - Wages
Jun 04, 2015

How many are aware of the wage disparity between different accounts (they don't find it necessary to tell us such a silly detail as the hourly wage, you have to look it up online).  With the new accounts, some pay quite low (as low as MB that no one wants to work on) and it may be a shock for those working on those accounts when they get their paychecks! Is it right of them to ask/require us to help out?  My feeling is  it is costing me to work on those accounts, as it lowers ...

Where Your Lost MQ Wages Are Going
Aug 27, 2010

From an article written 2 days ago regarding MQ's settlement of a lawsuit filed by Kaiser against Medquist (which MQ settled for 2 million, by the way):   The company reported net revenues for the three months ended June 30, 2010 as increasing $20.1 million or 25.9 percent to $97.5 million compared to $77.5 million for the three months ended June 30, 2009. ...

Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

I think a fair wage should be in relation to the economy, that which allows you to meet your baseline financial needs without having to work a second job or long hours.  I worked for a service back in the early 80s for 6.5 cents per line.  Today, nearly 30 years later, they're offering 7.5 cents per line, yet costs are sky-high.   It's pathetic.  It's sweatshop third world.  It's true, we're stuck with the way things are, but ...

WAGES-other Questions
Feb 27, 2011

I have been an MT for over 10 years for a hosital.  I am considering working for Medquist.  I currently make 19 per hour but my job is going away. I know   I can produce about 1700 lines per day mostly ISR work. Questions: How much does MQ pay per line for ISR (voice recognition) reports. Also what is the minimum work they require (lines per day). Do they pay PTO for part time? Do you get any incentives for weekend work?   How often do you run out of work? How m ...

Wages Owed - Help Me Out Here
Mar 10, 2012

I've got the form to file a complaint re:  Not getting paid for research, verifying patient name, cruddy dictators who shouldn't be in VR/ASR, etc. The person filing the complaint has to figure out how much the employer owes - any suggestions, or examples?  Say, for over a year's time? My example would be:  It takes 8 minutes to go through all my emails (a requirement of my job) weekly (yes, I timed myself) - so that's 8 x 4 = 32 minutes a month JUST for emai ...

Pathetic Wages
Mar 17, 2012

Does anyone else feel this way, work hard, trying to do a good job, need to pay the bills, need the insurance and end up with $80 for a full day's work and that is sometimes on a good day but $10.00 per hour seems to be on average what I get, after looking up docs, looking up meds, relistening to blanks, relistening to diagnosis, trying to understand lab values and yada, yada, yada.  Everyday becomes a marathon just to make $10 bucks an hour - haven't earned so little for man ...

Comparative Wages
Nov 07, 2012

Learned from my son yesterday that babysitters in Boulder, CO get $15/hour.  Do you think they have more training and experience than we do? ...

Unemployment Wages
Nov 18, 2013

If you are a production employee, employee status, do youl qualify for unemployment benefits (Nuance, formerly Accentus, formerly Zylomed)? ...

Wages And Compensation
Aug 07, 2014

I came into this field long after the precedent was set on pay.  I knew coming into this that the average wage ran from 6 cpl to 10 cpl, with most jobs hovering around 7 to 8 cpl.  What I didn't account for was that in more than 10 or 15 years, we'd still be at that rate.  Not only has our wage not gone up in over a decade, even with cost of living increases, but that when they came out with speech recognition, someone thought, "Well, it's doing half the work, so y ...

TTS Ridiculous Wages
Feb 19, 2015

It kinda looks like TTS can't get anyone to work for them with their ridiculous wages.  You'd think they would have figured it out by now.  ...

Question About Garnishment Of Wages
Nov 10, 2009

I just recently found out that my wages are being garnished.  I knew it was coming and I decided maybe it wasn't a bad idea in order to pay back this debt.  The problem is they are taking 20% of my disposable income which is a considerable amount!  I am a single mom with two kids and 20% is simply too much and doesn't leave us much to live on.  I did my research and found that in the state of Missouri if you are head of household and the only income, a creditor can ...

Those Owed Wages By DIT Please Read!!!
Jul 10, 2010

I worked for DIT from 01/10 through 03/10.  I quit when I didn't receive my first paycheck on time.  At this point DIT still owes me $278.  From the other posts I've seen, it looks like DIT Transcription has been doing this to their MTs for a couple of years now.  They just brought on a bunch of new clinics, yet my final paycheck from them bounced.  To add insult to injury, my bank charged ME an NSF fee.   Both the South Carolina Labor Board and State of ...