A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is there an option to slave wages? - Anony

Posted: Sep 10, 2012

Can we pinpoint the reasons we are working for slave wages and unfair treatment? I'm hearing EMR and TAT, but don't we have the ability to provide the same service directly to physicians with software we can download for free? Didn't most of us provide 24-hour turnaround? Has EMG made it to technical to keep up with? Why would a physician choose to pay an MTSO more than they were paying us as ICs when their primary concerns seems to be saving money? Has anyone surveyed what medical facilities are paying MTSOs these days? What was that movie with the famous line everyone was yelling out their windows: "I've had all I can stand, and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

Personally, I dont want to deal with irate office managers, dr. that - think they are god, stat reports needed SM

[ In Reply To ..]
yesterday and all else that comes with being the boss. I am a good worker bee. I dont want to be the queen bee, she doesnt get paid enough. Btw, 24 hour TAT is getting pretty rare these days. Longest is usually 12 hours, many are 4 hours.

We get irate management anyway, even at MTSOs. - Only difference is theyre even more clueless! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
XX

Drs pay the MTSO cause they dont want to deal with diva MTs. But Dr really have - nothing to do with it. Most drs work for

[ In Reply To ..]
big corporations that only hear save money. They have never done MT, have never given us a thought and have no idea what we need to do our job effectively, as well as cost effectively. I kinda think, though, we are reaching the stage where it is becomeing more and more obvious that what the software salesmen say, is not the reality. Kinda interested to see what the next phase will be.

That movie was Network - 1976

[ In Reply To ..]
Vintage Faye Dunaway at her most gorgeous. Still relevant and hilarious today, well worth checking out!

Having your own clients is nothing like working for MTSO. You cant - just log onto a platform, do your shift and SM

[ In Reply To ..]
then you are done. YOU have to deal with system dysfunctions, you have to deal with software problems, you have to stop everything to do that stat job, you have to send the bills and make sure you recieve payment, you have to deal with the insurance company that employer MTSO deals with, you have to deal with office staff, often an unhappy doctor wife, you have to justify your rates and explain why you cannot go down any more on what you are charging. This is just a short list. Oh yeah, you have to deal with it when the office calls you and says we dont need you anymore, we are going to EMR.

Could not have said it better....but adding - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You have to hire/train/edit behind the MT you will no doubt need for any overflow so you do not miss TAT. Not to mention, you have to have at least 2 of everything in case something goes down, as the clients do not want to hear you are having technical difficulties or miss deadlines. You also have to pay for the dictation system, multiple phone lines, etc., and more taxes and be on call when a client calls.

That's why I never wanted my own clients. Too much - behind-the-scenes work U arent paid for! nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Option to slave wages - Vintagefine

[ In Reply To ..]
One option would require 100% participation among MTs; and that's an all-out "strike" or boycott. If all of a sudden every MT in this country just stopped transcribing/editing altogether, that house of cards would collapse. They would get so far behind, they would need us AGAIN and they'd have to pay us what we demand. (That's my fantasy anyway) Oh and another fantasy is that some calamity will cause all their VR equipment to malfunction and they would hunt us down to put us back to work and pay us what we deserve. Oh, oh and another is that they all get hit with huge law suits because their machines made major mistakes that no one in India noticed, costing them millions in law suits; then they would realize they didn't save much money in the long run. I could go on and on with my fantasies. They get me through my long days without work. LOL

It's not just a fantasy. India may be able to transcribe, - (sorta), ut we editors hold all the cards!

[ In Reply To ..]
And you're right about the MTSOs' house of cards. Even when the work goes offshore, they still depend on (and royally EXPLOIT) the American MTs who can edit and make some sense of the garbled mess their bargain-basement transcription alternatives produce. If we didn't edit it, they would have NOWHERE to turn.

I don't think it would take 100% MT participation, either. Judging by how freaked-out my CCM gets when more than 1 person is off work, I'd be willing to bet that even with as low as 50% MT participation in an EDITING STRIKE, we could collapse that house of cards. With 75%+ participation, we could set it on fire.

because we're desperate - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Wages have gone down. Work flow has slowed to the point we are grateful for any work that is available as it trickles in.

Most of us have spent many years as MTs, honing our craft. Probably for most of us, it is all we know how to do, and I believe companies know that.

We work under these conditions because we have to, we're desperate to hold on to our jobs because with the economy, there are not many job positions an MT can easily transition into outside of this profession. It's surprising what one will put up with when there aren't other options.

Also, the big companies have begun to take on the mentality that we as MTs should be grateful they are letting us work for them. I dream of the day I can have a job where I am valued and work for someone who values my skills enough that they feel lucky I am working for them.

Slave wages - SassyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I do it because Atlanta traffic sucks LOL and sometimes so does the weather. From my research, most of the facilities here use services and the ones that don't, rarely have any openings. At the last medical facility I worked for, I believe they were paying the MTSO 18 cpl but the MTs were getting 7 cpl or less from the service. The 18 cpl was more than what most of the MTs were making but when you add in all of the extras the facility had to pay for, 18 cpl made better financial sense for the facility, so they sent all of the work to the MTSO and let all 30+ MTs go. I doubt that many labs will ever use MTSOs so pathology transcription is a possibility and an option I may look at again the near future.

Option to slave wages and own accounts - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not work for MTSOs and have my own accounts, but you have to pay for dictation systems and phone lines, which are not free, as well as other software, etc. Please see my other post. Then, you have to have at least 2 of everything, as the client does not want to hear you will be missing TAT due to technical issues. You are responsible for all equipment/software costs, health insurance premiums through your company (you need 2 people to qualify as a group), business license costs, tax consultant, advertising, website costs with company email, cell and landlines, billing/invoicing to clients and tax forms (you and any MT you hire) , account/template setups, and hiring/training/QA of MT(s) for any overflow you have, so you do not miss TAT. BTY, you usually have to pay them more than the client pays you or the same, and then edit behind them, so this is a definite write off. The dictation systems are about $5,000 to $10,000, which have to be replaced every 2 years. Also, count in the unpaid time you put in and expenses of finding and landing that client.

With all of the above, most MTs make more in the end working for a large service than those who have their own accounts. We just have more expenses-- a lot more. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence, although a lot more rewarding.

Physicians pay us independent contractors/smaller operators a lot less than the large nationals, as they are taking a risk with us, etc.

I've wondered myself why hospitals didn't just - send existing MTs home, thus - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
maintaining their quality and institutional memory of workers already familiar with their facility and the MDs, rather than opt to send it to some shady MTSO, where the price may be rock-bottom cheap, but so is the level of work produced by offshore MTs and VR.

Hmmm. Maybe if we refused to edit that garbage for a week or two, the resulting mess would have clients re-thinking their profit-driven decision to eliminate having their own MTs.

All it would've taken is a slight upgrade or change of servers on their part, and maybe not even that. Like the above poster said, transcription software can be downloaded for free.

It's no wonder they keep wanting to pay less and less for transcription - look at how quality keeps falling, between MTSO's saying "Work faster!", "Edit less!", and the resultant dumbing down the entire process, so as to make the Indians look like they can actually cut it.

Hospitals dont want to have to manage at home MTs, only care about - lowest cost way to get work done. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Week long strike not likely an option for that single mother of - 3, trying to house, clothe and feed the kids. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Women have done it before, why not now? You need to - look further forward, at the big picture.

[ In Reply To ..]
After all, how is that crummy pay working out for you right now? Now, think a couple years ahead, when that amount is cut in half once AGAIN. And the price of a gallon of gas has jumped to 5.75/gal, and a box of Cheerios is 7.50.
You are obviously not that single mom. And luckily neither am I. - Difference between us, I have compassion. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
s
She's just painting herself into a corner. That - compromises the kids futures.
[ In Reply To ..]
You have to think more than just one move ahead. You have to consider the results of 3, 4, 5 moves after that first one, in order to make decisions that will get your children ahead in the future.
So does not being able to feed them or keep a roof over their - heads. (Do you have kids? Think not.) nm
[ In Reply To ..]
s
But that's exactly my point. How is she going to - continue to keep that roof over - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
their heads when her pay as an MT continues to go downward? There is no second set of prices on rent, food, school supplies, or anything else, that says: "If you're an MT, you get 75% off."

Similar Messages:

Working Myself To Death For Slave Wages And About To Quit
Mar 25, 2011

I need some real input.  I did my research on this field and went to one of the best schools.  I work hard and do excellent work.  I've been doing this for almost a year, and I want to know when I'll reach minimum wage.  I get 7.5 to 8 cents a line.  I am technically full-time, but they don't always give me enough work. I worked for one company that couldn't keep me busy enough, switched companies, then decided to work for BOTH.  According to th ...

Why Don't They Just SAY They're Looking For A SLAVE Or A
Nov 15, 2010

beck and call girl.  Really.  Offering transcriptin to newbies for 0.035 a line wasn't allowered here, right?  Oh wait, it's camouflaged by "per audio hour".. oh, let's do the math, shall we?  :D 10 minutes of dictation can TYPICALLY generate 100 lines. that is 10 lines a voice minute or dictated minute.  And you can ROUGHLY say an hour of typing per 10 minutes of dictation.  ROUGHLY.  Faster, slower MTs, content, shortcuts, templates ...

From 30K Per Year To Slave Labor
Dec 03, 2012

Good morning fellow MTs, Well our hospital just outsourced a huge part of our transcription. I am seeing this trend and it breaks my heart.  When you go from a good salary and benefits with affordable insurance to a company who pays  you barely minimum wage - it is WRONG!  Is there any one out there who thinks that these companies OWE it to us MTs who have been in the field 20+ years to pay us what we are worth?  And not by the line???? I am so frustrated and angry that thes ...

Option To Get Out ...
Sep 20, 2011

Sorry in advance for the length of this post but I've been reading and I just couldn't sit still any longer.  I'm a long-time MQ employee - this is my 14th year.  When I first started out, the income was crazy.  Literally I made more money in bonuses and incentives than I made in my regular production pay.  It was not uncommon for my paychecks to be in the $2000 range.  Over the years, the bonuses and incentives ended, and to help supplement my income (I t ...

There Is Another Option.....
Oct 24, 2013

Our lives have become totally ruined by this company. Unfortunately, commiserating with each other, while helping to alleviate anxiety, will not solve the problem. I have thought of this option, and some friends have suggested the same thing, Class Action Suit!  There must be a way we can recoup our lost wages. I cannot believe that what this company has done to us is legal.  It may take awhile, but aside from finding another job that pays better (which is just not available), I believ ...

Another Option For Transitioning From MT
Mar 24, 2010

Transcribing the dictation of various physician assistants made me wonder what was involved in becoming a PA, so I looked into the PA programs in my state.  I have a BA and already have all the science prereqs, so I decided to apply.  I'm retiring from my full-time job (not medical related) in April and wondered what I would do with myself with just my part-time MT job to keep me busy.  Now I know.  I start in the PA program with the summer session.  If you have a ...

Search Option
Jul 11, 2010

Hi, Is there a search query anywhere on the MTStars website?  I recall there used to be one, but I cannot find it.  Thanks in advance for any help. ...

Failure Is NOT An Option.
Feb 28, 2011

x ...

Unemployment An Option?
Nov 03, 2014

Does anyone know if unemployment is an option with all the OOW? ...

UNEMPLOYMENT AN OPTION.....YES !!!!!!!
Nov 03, 2014

No Work Without Pay Option
Feb 19, 2015

Can we no longer take this option?  In Remedy you only have 2 options to choose, make up or PTO.  I don't want to make up or use my PTO for out of work. What to do?   ...

What Happened To The Search Option?
Oct 12, 2009

When will it be restored? ...

Does Anyone Else Really Miss The Search Option
Oct 19, 2009

in this website?  Sometimes I was able to search for something and find an answer in old threads and not have to post the question and wait.  ...

As An IC, Is It Really An Option To Get Paid On Time?
Nov 05, 2009

I'm just curious. I have worked as an IC and an employee. With the last job I took as an IC, I remember in the interview the woman speaking with me said "and the woman you'll be working for always pays on time." At the time, I thought that was rather odd. I mean, why would someone need to say that? Of course I get paid on time. Just like they expect their work done on time. Well it was a huge red flag that I ignored, because then on 4 different occasions over the next 10 months I didn& ...

Am I Crazy Or Is The Suspend Option Gone On DSQ?
Mar 03, 2010

My next job is a stat and I only see Upload, Abandon, Break and Split. ...

Weekly Schedule Option
Mar 05, 2010

Does anyone know if we will have the capability to change schedules weekly in schedule source.  I thought I remember reading once when shedule source was still in its pilot stage that we would have the ability to change our schedules weekly with schedule source or is this just a fancy way of this meaning the "swap board."  ...

Only ONE Health Coverage Option?
Apr 22, 2011

I'm not very knowledgable on this healthcare stuff, but is it legal for them to offer only ONE option for health coverage?  Going up 60 bucks a month for me plus deductible going from 750 to 3000????  This is crazy! ...

Nuance Employees, Do You Have An HSA Or FSA Option Currently?
Nov 04, 2011

I'm reading about the difference between the two of these, and it looks like the employer withholds a portion of your income to cover medical expenses. I don't know if that has to be offered by the employer or if it can be set up somehow by anyone who qualifies due to a high-deductible insurance plan. Do you currently have any HSA or FSA arrangement with Nuance? ...

I Would Like To Do A Search... Is That Option No Longer Available? Nm
Aug 24, 2012

nm ...

What Happened To STATUS Option On DQM?--NM
Nov 09, 2012

Best Option For Insurance Is With Nuance
Nov 07, 2013

I'm wondering what the best option for insurance is with Nuance.  It looks as though there is no co-pay for office visits, so I'm guessing I should do a HSA?  I really like having an office visit co-pay :( ...

Why Did This Give Me The Option To Edit Or Delete
Jan 27, 2011

not delete it?  am I blind is there a delete button somewhere? ...

What Is The Report Paid Hours Option For?
May 30, 2011

xxx ...

Career Option If You Have A Bachelors Degree
Mar 12, 2012

Interesting post on the coding board about this, so I thought I would mention it here. If you have a bachelors degree in any subject, you can qualify to take the RHIA exam by completing a postbaccalaureate certificate program in health information administration that is accredited by AHIMA.  That opens up a lot of job opportunities.  You should have little trouble with a program like that because of your healthcare background. There are only a few of those programs and some are extre ...

Coders- Best Option / Method For Educating Ourselves On ICD-10?
Oct 02, 2012

What is the best option/method for educating ourselves on ICD-10?  Has anyone started? Looking for recommendations.  I would like to get a head start now on my own.  I sort of put it out of my mind when they delayed it.  AAPC seems to have a course.  AHIMA looks like they have webinars.  Has anyone tried these?   ...

Is Self-study Through AAPC An Option To Become A Coder?
Sep 03, 2013

I have 15 years experience as a medical transcriptionist, have an AA degree, took anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, etc., and have taken one non-credit ICD-9 class, and one non-credit medical billing class, both at a local community college. My question is, if I purchase AAPC's study guide and do practice tests (yes, I know it will be very hard and take a LOT of studying), would I be allowed to test without having taken a specific medical coding program?  In other words, is ...

My Company Is Dissolving. My Option Is To Work For Medquist...
Nov 10, 2009

I have worked for the same company for the last 5 years but found out today that we are losing our biggest client to MedQuist so they are dissolving the transcription department at my company. They are offering an option to work for MedQuist.  I am skeptical as I have read so many bad things about the company; but, I'm curious if there are genuinely happy people also that work for MedQuist.  I only have a week to make a decision and I'm hoping to make an informed one.  T ...

Low Wages
Jul 21, 2010

Isn't it amazing how the cpl never seems to rise for transcriptionists?  Have these companies ever heard of cost of living?  This is pretty pathetic.  It has been 7 to 8 cpl of twenty years! ...

MT Wages
Dec 07, 2012

I want to congratulate everyone who posts on this site telling it like it is about the way these MT companies are destroying what once was a profession where you could make a decent living and actually enjoyed your job. I've been doing this for 30 years and I am still hanging on because I do not know what else to do at my age. I can barely pay my bills with what they are paying me and I am working full time. I am 68 years old and I really am not too excited about going back to school or sta ...

Wages?
Oct 31, 2013

I've taken the tests and have been offered a job with Nuance but want to know if the wage offered was the standard wage for Nuance.  I was offered 8 cpl for straight trasncription and 4 cpl for editing.  This would be for clinics only.  I've heard acute care paid more, but I've only ever had clinic experience.  Do they ever offer raises?  They mentioned a bonus program, and I've seen notes on here about people saying they have had problems getting th ...