A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

WAGES-other questions - Carlson

Posted: Feb 27, 2011

I have been an MT for over 10 years for a hosital.  I am considering working for Medquist.  I currently make 19 per hour but my job is going away. I know   I can produce about 1700 lines per day mostly ISR work. Questions:

How much does MQ pay per line for ISR (voice recognition) reports. Also what is the minimum work they require (lines per day).

Do they pay PTO for part time? Do you get any incentives for weekend work?  

How often do you run out of work?

How many accounts to you work on?

I would appreciate any feedback, good or bad.. Thanks!

Carlson

mq questions - read on

[ In Reply To ..]
read all the posts for mq and see how often they run out of work, and how the pay is decreasing all the time, and the work is being offshored. You will not see the $19 an hour anymore.

Wish you the very best - CyberlandMT

[ In Reply To ..]
As for me, I just cried after doing my taxes. A $5000 reduction in pay from last year, and yet working the same amount of hours, plus increased production. It's a crock. Getting ripped off right and left while the corporate pockets are being lined. We (MT/MMEs) are all used as guinea pigs now..all for the advancement of technology. Well, you know what usually happens to lab rats. Sorry for being such a downer. There's just not any money to be made for most in this field anymore. I'm pretty sure you can kiss that $19 an hour goodbye if you plan on working for an MTSO, MQ or otherwise.

Sorry for your loss - Good Luck

[ In Reply To ..]

If you work for almost any MTSO, be prepared to make half of your usual income.  Most pay 8 cents per line for straight transcription (maybe a couple companies still offer only straight, but they all run out of work consistently) and 4 cents per line for SR Editing (probably 80-90% of work at most MTSOs).  Sad part is, most MTSOs do not care if you have 1 year experience or 40 years experience, they pay pretty much the same (maybe if you are really, really lucky, you can get a 1 cent per line bump up).  

Assuming you work a full 8 hours per day for those 1700 lines per day.  

8 hours x $19 per hour = $152 per day

1700 lines x 4 cents per line = $68 per day

The sad state of at-home Medical Transcription.  

Just wanted you to know what to expect if you start looking for at-home work.  Most of us are desperate to find in-house work where we can get paid hourly.  My condolences.  Sorry for your loss.

Reality sucks !!!!

I hate taking a look at the harsh reality of this - EyesWideShut

[ In Reply To ..]
Man, I do so much better when I do not pay attention to the reality of our pay. I know I used to make over 40,000 part time and last year, I barely broke 20,000. I know I will be much less this year if we all make it through the year.

Very depressing.

Unfortunately, there are not many in-house - just happened to me.

[ In Reply To ..]
positions left. Many are going VR or EHR with templates and "point and click" reports that the physicians do themselves. The ones that don't have that, usually end up outsourcing because the "suits" think it's cheaper. Then, they don't need any or as many MTs and some of them lose their jobs which is what happened to me.

I know MQ runs out of work. I knew that before I ever applied. I read these boards a lot. I was informed. I investigated many companies and have applied to many companies over the years. I've worked at some other MTSOs part-time in addition to the full-time hospital positions over the years and every one of them is now either out of business or purchased by a larger MTSO. Mostly purchased by another MTSO. Some have even been purchased more than once. I knew the situation before I ever applied, but when you are the only breadwinner in a household, you do what you have to do.

Thank you so much for this post. - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
This is exactly what I needed to see to realize that I will never make an adequate living at Spheris/MQ with VR work - and I should move on.

I'm new...working 8 hours and not coming close to earning $100. Not acceptable...especially considering the stress involved in doing this job.

Answers to "other questions" - kiki1

[ In Reply To ..]
Agree with other posters, this job is NOT what it used to be. But to answer your other questions:

I'm FT, but I think you get PTO for part time at a reduced rate of course.

No weekend incentive. They used to pay one but it was stopped. They also don't pay incentive bonuses anymore.

As for running out of work, it's a crap shoot. Some people run out of work on a DAILY basis, others not as often.

Expect to be expected to work on up to 10 to 12 or more different accounts if your primary is low, which likely will be often. All of these different accounts have different rules. You know that slows you down.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you have to send any more than 5% to QA no matter whose fault it is, your pay is decreased.

I really wish I could say something better, but sadly, I can't. And it's not just MQ unfortunately, or I'd be outta here.

I used to make roughly $20 per hour in-house. - I now make about 11.

[ In Reply To ..]
I work harder than I ever dreamed possible and hate my job and am depressed. Sad, but true. You asked.

If you can do 1700 lines per day - In translation

[ In Reply To ..]
Your 1700 lines may not translate into 1700 Q lines. Are you straight typing or using voice recognition? There are so many variables between all the transcription programs out there that you'll never know how much you can make with MQ. THEY tell us their fastest MT can produce over 600 lines an hour on ASR. None of us have found that to be true. In fact, the fastest average I've seen is about 250 per hour on ASR. Of course that's with the wind in your sails, not including all the ESLs, some bad voice quality like work being dictated with a loud background environment. I know some will respond to this saying they can do more but keep in mind this is for an 8-hour work day. Who can really keep up top speed over 9 hours, pray tell? Don't forget being paid less for the ASR work. They will hire you at a line, like 8 cents per line, but it really means you'll be getting 60% of that 8 cents for ASR work, which is most of what you will do. You also have to think like your QA person, or else you'll be dinged for every little mistake and categorized as minor or CRITICAL ERROR. The more Critical Errors you get, the greater chance you'll get the boot.

I used to do over 2000 on a good day. Now I - no name

[ In Reply To ..]
struggle to get 1200 most days and 90% of that is ASR. Don't forget you don't get paid for carbon copy addresses you enter, all ADT info you enter, etc. Some accounts are very labor-intensive, plus QA is very tough, and I do a quick re-read back over most reports to try and catch ANYTHING I missed. You will even get dinged on an Audit for a comma (I just did).

Similar Messages:

Low Wages
Jul 21, 2010

Isn't it amazing how the cpl never seems to rise for transcriptionists?  Have these companies ever heard of cost of living?  This is pretty pathetic.  It has been 7 to 8 cpl of twenty years! ...

MT Wages
Dec 07, 2012

I want to congratulate everyone who posts on this site telling it like it is about the way these MT companies are destroying what once was a profession where you could make a decent living and actually enjoyed your job. I've been doing this for 30 years and I am still hanging on because I do not know what else to do at my age. I can barely pay my bills with what they are paying me and I am working full time. I am 68 years old and I really am not too excited about going back to school or sta ...

Wages?
Oct 31, 2013

I've taken the tests and have been offered a job with Nuance but want to know if the wage offered was the standard wage for Nuance.  I was offered 8 cpl for straight trasncription and 4 cpl for editing.  This would be for clinics only.  I've heard acute care paid more, but I've only ever had clinic experience.  Do they ever offer raises?  They mentioned a bonus program, and I've seen notes on here about people saying they have had problems getting th ...

AP - Wages
Jun 04, 2015

How many are aware of the wage disparity between different accounts (they don't find it necessary to tell us such a silly detail as the hourly wage, you have to look it up online).  With the new accounts, some pay quite low (as low as MB that no one wants to work on) and it may be a shock for those working on those accounts when they get their paychecks! Is it right of them to ask/require us to help out?  My feeling is  it is costing me to work on those accounts, as it lowers ...

Where Your Lost MQ Wages Are Going
Aug 27, 2010

From an article written 2 days ago regarding MQ's settlement of a lawsuit filed by Kaiser against Medquist (which MQ settled for 2 million, by the way):   The company reported net revenues for the three months ended June 30, 2010 as increasing $20.1 million or 25.9 percent to $97.5 million compared to $77.5 million for the three months ended June 30, 2009. ...

Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

I think a fair wage should be in relation to the economy, that which allows you to meet your baseline financial needs without having to work a second job or long hours.  I worked for a service back in the early 80s for 6.5 cents per line.  Today, nearly 30 years later, they're offering 7.5 cents per line, yet costs are sky-high.   It's pathetic.  It's sweatshop third world.  It's true, we're stuck with the way things are, but ...

No Raises In MT Wages
May 10, 2011

Is anyone else fed up with the fact that the wages for MTs never go up?  It has been the same low rate for years!  ...

Wages Owed - Help Me Out Here
Mar 10, 2012

I've got the form to file a complaint re:  Not getting paid for research, verifying patient name, cruddy dictators who shouldn't be in VR/ASR, etc. The person filing the complaint has to figure out how much the employer owes - any suggestions, or examples?  Say, for over a year's time? My example would be:  It takes 8 minutes to go through all my emails (a requirement of my job) weekly (yes, I timed myself) - so that's 8 x 4 = 32 minutes a month JUST for emai ...

Pathetic Wages
Mar 17, 2012

Does anyone else feel this way, work hard, trying to do a good job, need to pay the bills, need the insurance and end up with $80 for a full day's work and that is sometimes on a good day but $10.00 per hour seems to be on average what I get, after looking up docs, looking up meds, relistening to blanks, relistening to diagnosis, trying to understand lab values and yada, yada, yada.  Everyday becomes a marathon just to make $10 bucks an hour - haven't earned so little for man ...

Comparative Wages
Nov 07, 2012

Learned from my son yesterday that babysitters in Boulder, CO get $15/hour.  Do you think they have more training and experience than we do? ...

Unemployment Wages
Nov 18, 2013

If you are a production employee, employee status, do youl qualify for unemployment benefits (Nuance, formerly Accentus, formerly Zylomed)? ...

Wages And Compensation
Aug 07, 2014

I came into this field long after the precedent was set on pay.  I knew coming into this that the average wage ran from 6 cpl to 10 cpl, with most jobs hovering around 7 to 8 cpl.  What I didn't account for was that in more than 10 or 15 years, we'd still be at that rate.  Not only has our wage not gone up in over a decade, even with cost of living increases, but that when they came out with speech recognition, someone thought, "Well, it's doing half the work, so y ...

TTS Ridiculous Wages
Feb 19, 2015

It kinda looks like TTS can't get anyone to work for them with their ridiculous wages.  You'd think they would have figured it out by now.  ...

Question About Garnishment Of Wages
Nov 10, 2009

I just recently found out that my wages are being garnished.  I knew it was coming and I decided maybe it wasn't a bad idea in order to pay back this debt.  The problem is they are taking 20% of my disposable income which is a considerable amount!  I am a single mom with two kids and 20% is simply too much and doesn't leave us much to live on.  I did my research and found that in the state of Missouri if you are head of household and the only income, a creditor can ...

Those Owed Wages By DIT Please Read!!!
Jul 10, 2010

I worked for DIT from 01/10 through 03/10.  I quit when I didn't receive my first paycheck on time.  At this point DIT still owes me $278.  From the other posts I've seen, it looks like DIT Transcription has been doing this to their MTs for a couple of years now.  They just brought on a bunch of new clinics, yet my final paycheck from them bounced.  To add insult to injury, my bank charged ME an NSF fee.   Both the South Carolina Labor Board and State of ...

Followup To Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

Serious question: Why do you stay? ...

ATSI Nonpayment Of Wages
Aug 13, 2011

This is just a warning message to hopefully prevent other MTs from going through my experience.  ATSI still owes me three paychecks, which were repeatedly promised to be paid day after day, week after week, then we were informed they legally had to pay by August the 8th.  Most of us have still not been paid.  I just learned that David Shepherd and his wife, Terry, also control M T World.  I am now employed elsewhere, but it will take months to undo the damage this company did ...

Low Wages Being Offered By So Many MTSOs
Jul 04, 2012

As a seasoned medical transcriptionist with over 30 years of experience, I can no longer contain my irritation with the low wages being offered by so many MTSOs.  Therefore, rather than apply for the low-wage positions, I am e-mailing these companies and letting them know how insulting their wages are and what an asset I would be to their company, but refuse to accept these low wages. Some of you may not agree, but this is my form of protesting what has become of the medical transcription p ...

Companies Deducting From Your Wages
Aug 13, 2012

On the Company board, someone commented that Global Information Systems is deducting $5.00 per error.  THIS IS WRONG and it DOES make your company irreputable.  Another person commented their company was reputable and does the same thing.  In what world is it sensible to say a company is reputable and then cite how they behave illegally? This link fills you in.  Your company can't deduct your wages unless you signed an agreement saying they could.  And if you did t ...

Unpaid Insurance And Wages.
Aug 24, 2012

What would you think if you went to make a dental appt and were told you had no coverage due to non-payment by your employer and the insurance company cancelled you, but..... the premiums are still being taken out.  Or if you did not get your paycheck last payday or were $$$ short? ...

Is There An Option To Slave Wages?
Sep 10, 2012

Can we pinpoint the reasons we are working for slave wages and unfair treatment? I'm hearing EMR and TAT, but don't we have the ability to provide the same service directly to physicians with software we can download for free? Didn't most of us provide 24-hour turnaround? Has EMG made it to technical to keep up with? Why would a physician choose to pay an MTSO more than they were paying us as ICs when their primary concerns seems to be saving money? Has anyone surveyed wha ...

Softscript - Lost Wages
Oct 01, 2012

The recruiter is not the only serious problem they have.  Any former MTs at SS who are interested in being paid their lost wages should get in touch with me.  You should only contact me if you have documentation you are willing to share.  ...

For The First Time, I Qualify For EIC Because Of MM Wages
Mar 30, 2013

Guess I have sunk to a new low. With ASR and NJA, I have joined the working poor. Can't wait until I finish school and get out of here. My wage is less than when I started MT 25 years ago. Just trying to hold on until I finish school. ...

Any More Info On Why Only Some MTs Got Back Wages From K&R?
Aug 07, 2013

DOL says some of us are not on the list, what's up with that? ...

Possible Reason Only Some MTs Got Back Wages
Aug 08, 2013

My employer, who has several VA contracts, was audited by the DOL last year.  The findings of the audit were that the employer should have been paying us the prevailing hourly wage because the contracts were federal government contracts.  Many people got back pay for the period of time for which the books were audited, but not everyone did because the DOL only audited one of our accounts.  Even though all the rest of the MTs were paid exactly the same way (on a production basis), ...

My Wages Have Been Cut In Half Since Going From Transcribing To SR
May 27, 2014

My wages have been cut in half since going from transcribing to SR.  Anybody else? ...

Still Low Wages. Wonder If It Is Because Nuance, The Dragon, Gets A
Jun 13, 2014

The Dragon and sending work to India and the Philippines has taken over the hospitals.  Nuance is the Dragon and they now get their 2 cents.  That is part of the reason our pay has gone down...eaten up by the year of the Dragon.   Guess that would mean health care has gone to the Dragon, the CEOs and insurance companies. ...

Decreased Wages, Increased LPH
Jan 07, 2015

In the past 4 years, my productivity requirements have risen 40 LPH, in 2014 our productivity bonus was taken away, now in 2015 our passing QA scores have been increased.    I feel sorry for anyone entering the MT field these days.    ...

Article About Low Wages In Transcription
Mar 22, 2015

Interesting article in the latest For the Record, the AHIMA magazine, about the low pay most companies offer.http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/0315p18.shtml ...

Anyone Want To Discuss Starting Salary/wages? Need To Know What To Look For...
May 04, 2010

I've been sending out resumes and cover letters as much as I can and reading lots of forums trying to get a feel for what to look for in a good company. Can the experienced MTs share their knowledge/wisdom on what to look for in a new employer? What is a good starting rate? What are some questions to ask of a potential employer? What should we stear clear of? I've been reading the company boards and find that there seem to be more negative responses/comments on so many companies, the ...