A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Fair wages - cr

Posted: Feb 18, 2011

I think a fair wage should be in relation to the economy, that which allows you to meet your baseline financial needs without having to work a second job or long hours.  I worked for a service back in the early 80s for 6.5 cents per line.  Today, nearly 30 years later, they're offering 7.5 cents per line, yet costs are sky-high.   It's pathetic.  It's sweatshop third world.  It's true, we're stuck with the way things are, but not a fair wage. 

see post below for... - sick of it 2

[ In Reply To ..]
for information on filing for partial unemployment see post below. If you are full time and not making minimum wage, it should be reported.

It's not just us...it's a LOT of people in all industries going through this... - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
I was just reading an article yesterday (one of those "the rich get richer and the poor are getting poorer" pieces) and it said how many people are making the same wages they made in the 1980s, but with todays costs of living, it is basically causing the obliteration of the middle class.

It's not just us. It's a LOT of people.

sick of it 2 - sick of it 2

[ In Reply To ..]
I realize that, but to hire ppl and have no work, say you have insurance and don't, say you will be making 8.5 cpl but in reality it is 3 or 4 cpl should not be happening. We all have house payments and car payments, and I don't think it helps the economy to be lied to about your wages and then you go into foreclosure or lose your car because of corporate greed. I was a high producer at my last job that was sent to India, I know what I am doing, but it is hard to make money when there is no work available. That is my biggest gripe. I can produce, just give me the work :-)
That's just the nature of the kind of work we do - for those who want to do it
[ In Reply To ..]
That's the way I think about it. This is an industry that has some advantages. People get to work at home, saving money for transportation, lunches, childcare, clothing, etc. It has disadvantages too. It will work for some people and not for others, just like most other careers. It was never intended to be the perfect, ideal job for everyone, was it?
I'd removed "working at home" from a list of any - advantages of working as an MT. (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
Look where it got us: Swept under the carpet and/or thrown into the garbage.
So true. The schools would go broke, but they'd - quit adding to the cesspool.
[ In Reply To ..]

The difference is, when things get better, they'll all - get yearly raises. We will get nothing.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
That's when you grab another job doing something else - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Some of us will be able to do that. Others won't. - "Individual results may vary."
[ In Reply To ..]

Fair wages - Happy MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You are so right Hayseed. My husband's income is down $25,000 2010 from 2009, so he is starting Medicare/SS this June at 65 and will make $4000 to 5000 more NOT working (with investment income and SS). Things are tough for lots of people. I work longer and harder for less.

I got 6.0 cpl back in 1977! Now, in 2011, I make a - crappy 4 cpl for VR. This profession blows. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

WORSE than that. You aren't factoring for - We do need raises. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
34 years of inflation with mostly stagnant wages.

On the other side, you aren't factoring for increased productivity--we don't get to pocket the money earned by companies investing in new technology. That said, losses from inflation top all--MANY times over.

BTW, have you checked energy and grocery prices lately?

Start your own business or do something else maybe? - We all have choices

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
That business had better cater to the wealthy because - as people get poorer they spend less. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
That's what I'm thinking because I myself am spending much less - People are either very poor or very rich
[ In Reply To ..]
I think America has become a country where there are those who are very rich and those who are poor. Politicians don't represent the middle class or the poor, so I think we have a problem. Other countries have gone this direction and it didn't end well. See Greece.
This would be a good time to open a secondhand store. - Thats where I do all MY shopping! ;D
[ In Reply To ..]
I've had 2 other businesses in the past. BTDT. - Not interested in doing that again.
[ In Reply To ..]

When life is fair, we will be in Heaven :) - Just sayin

[ In Reply To ..]
Things are not going to be fair. We take the best we can. The employers do the best they can for themselves. That's the way business works.

Those employers who pay a little better are able to attract people with better skills. At least that's the way it's supposed to work.

Similar Messages:

Followup To Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

Serious question: Why do you stay? ...

She Dictates "He Is Fair Com Plected" Meaning He Has A Fair Complexion
Feb 08, 2010

Good morning all - I'm trying for a dermatologist today.  Not my usual account.  She dictates "He is fair com plected" meaning he has a fair complexion.  What is the right way to spell complected? I googled it, came up with a lot of variations and nothing concrete.  Thanks for your time!  ...

ORO FAIR NIX
May 20, 2010

... when dictators say "ORO-FAIR-NIX" for oropharynx or "LAIR-NIX" for larynx?  When they think of lynx do they say "LNIX" or manx and say "MNAX" ??  :) ...

Fair Pay??
Mar 24, 2012

This may have been discussed before, and if so, I missed it, but SR seems to be getting worse and worse all the time (and I use M*Modal for two different MTSOs), picking up less and less of what is actually said.  This is even on very clear-speaking dictators.  Some have been to the point of SR getting maybe 2 words right in 2 sentences.  In this case, I'm actually "typing," but getting paid the SR rate.  It struck me that the only fair way to be paid would be to be paid ...

How Is It Fair
Jan 08, 2014

Everyone of my accounts now requires manual addition of CCs and/or manual addition of ADT information and I don't get compensated? This rots, getting ready to quit. ...

US Fair Labor Act
Sep 20, 2011

(e)Study of effects of foreign production on unemployment; report to President and CongressWhenever the Secretary has reason to believe that in any industry under this chapter the competition of foreign producers in United States markets or in markets abroad, or both, has resulted, or is likely to result, in increased unemployment in the United States, he shall undertake an investigation to gain full information with respect to the matter. If he determines such increased unemployment has in fact ...

Fair Chance Or Not?
Mar 03, 2012

Was just wondering if you seasoned MT's think 5 weeks on a new job is a fair chance for a fairly new MT? New platform to be learned, and the dictations were from a big pool with a lot of different doctors, though not many ESL's, and QA was pretty picky. Any opinions on this? ...

Is 14 Cpl Fair For Experienced IC?
Mar 28, 2012

I have been an IC for over 5 years and have decided to increase my rates from 12 cpl to 14 cpl.  In doing that, one of my doctors is thinking about replacing me.  I thought 14 cpl was a fair rate.  What does everyone else think? ...

How Do They Call This Fair?
Aug 15, 2013

So, I have a VR job and the VR is just bad.  I FINALLY got to where I could make around $11.00 per hour and was thinking okay, maybe this won't be so bad.  Well, just as I got up to where I could make a decent living, my MTSO decides to do a random audit and completely tore my reports apart.  There were NO critical errors and no errors that affected the content of the report, just things like commas in the wrong place, using a comma when dictator said "and" and other simple t ...

Low Wages
Jul 21, 2010

Isn't it amazing how the cpl never seems to rise for transcriptionists?  Have these companies ever heard of cost of living?  This is pretty pathetic.  It has been 7 to 8 cpl of twenty years! ...

MT Wages
Dec 07, 2012

I want to congratulate everyone who posts on this site telling it like it is about the way these MT companies are destroying what once was a profession where you could make a decent living and actually enjoyed your job. I've been doing this for 30 years and I am still hanging on because I do not know what else to do at my age. I can barely pay my bills with what they are paying me and I am working full time. I am 68 years old and I really am not too excited about going back to school or sta ...

Wages?
Oct 31, 2013

I've taken the tests and have been offered a job with Nuance but want to know if the wage offered was the standard wage for Nuance.  I was offered 8 cpl for straight trasncription and 4 cpl for editing.  This would be for clinics only.  I've heard acute care paid more, but I've only ever had clinic experience.  Do they ever offer raises?  They mentioned a bonus program, and I've seen notes on here about people saying they have had problems getting th ...

AP - Wages
Jun 04, 2015

How many are aware of the wage disparity between different accounts (they don't find it necessary to tell us such a silly detail as the hourly wage, you have to look it up online).  With the new accounts, some pay quite low (as low as MB that no one wants to work on) and it may be a shock for those working on those accounts when they get their paychecks! Is it right of them to ask/require us to help out?  My feeling is  it is costing me to work on those accounts, as it lowers ...

Fair Charge Per Line In GA
Jan 01, 2010

I'm thinking about trying to go out and get my own doctor's office and have a question about what is a fair rate per line in the state of Georgia. I've been doing some research but there seems to be a huge range. Can anyone tell me if $0.18/line seems fair? Thank you for any help or information!!!! ...

Fair Line Rate For SC
Jan 04, 2010

I am starting up my own MT Business and want to make sure I am not over/under charging.  I was thinking 12 cents a line.  Is this too much/too little? I am currently working for a MT business and I am making 8 cents a line but that company is located in Virginia so I cannot really use them as  comparison of what to charge the doctor's offices.  Please advise! ...

Fair Standards Act/getting Together On This Stuff
Jan 04, 2010

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place, but it seems like with all the screwing over that some of these companies do to us (and I know it's no accident that they don't encourage us to communicate amongst ourselves), few people here are suggesting some way of getting together to "encourage" the companies we work for to screw us over less, or at least less painfully. I know there's a Fair Standards act, for example, that supposedly covers even us (working on production). Whi ...

Whats A Fair Price
Jan 20, 2010

Hi all, Quick question. I live in washington state and I just graduated from my MT course and had a doc call me to let me know that he wanted me to do transcription for him and my question is what is a fair price to be charging, all I ever hear is what is unfair. Thanks, Dude Mom ...

Fair Warning About WordzXpressed
Jul 15, 2010

I took their test for a QA position.  ELEVEN reports to type plus their written. I typed the reports, 2 reports had 1 blank, otherwise they were clean.  I get an email saying I didn't score high enough. I went back over each and every report, relistened and there were no errors.  So, just in case, I had someone else go over those reports and listen and she agreed with me, no errors with the exception of the 2 reports that had 1 blank.  That was a passing test.  This ...

It's Not Fair To Get Paid 1 Cpl For !@#$ Who Can't Talk
Oct 03, 2010

:(((((( ...

Since I Jumped Up And Down When There Was No Work, It Seems Only Fair Sm
Jan 09, 2011

to say that the work famine seems to be over at SoftScript ... whew!  I still think it was poor management and overhiring that made it as bad as it was, especially since I work for another MTSO who had work constantly throughout the holidays.   Still, I'm happy to see things flowing better so that maybe now I can make an accurate assessment as to whether it is worth it to me to stay. ...

Fair Cpl Rate For Newbie?
Mar 02, 2011

Just got a small temporary job helping a doc catch up on a backlog.  I will be working as an IC and the job is pretty small.  What would be a fair cpl rate to charge?  He's a friend from college, so he told me to name my price.  I'm a new transcription graduate with 2 advanced degrees.  Thanks!! ...

Fair Pay, Collective Action
Aug 14, 2011

MedQuist has steadily decreased its pay for speech recognition to a level that forces experienced medical transcriptionists into poverty.  Currently, speech recognition at 300 lines per hour pays less than that earned by a nursing assistant with only 2 weeks of training. We are calling for a universal action beginning 1 September 2011, with a demand that MedQuist increase the speech recognition rate to at least 85% of what we earn with straight transcription.  EFFECTIVE September 1, 2 ...

What Should Be Expected As A Fair Rate Now
Sep 15, 2011

I have never seen pay so low for MTs....I am really pretty shocked to see some of the rates.  I do realize that good ol' 11-12 cpl is never going to be coming back, I know the economy is not good for anyone, businesses included, but I really am wondering how low can I go and still make a decent living?  Now I am talking about somebody with a lot of years of experience in all fields.  I am thinking no lower than 8 for me, and even that makes me cringe, and I am trying to psych ...

MTs Seek A Fair Shake
Sep 11, 2012

I just saw this posted by AHDI and don't see it discussed yet. Just curious what you all think of this article?   ...

Fair Standards Labor Act
Oct 28, 2012

The U.S. Dept. of Labor requires time and a half pay for all hours over 40 worked in a work week.  (I think only if employee status.)  We are considered piecemeal workers and indeed are eligible for OT pay.  "All time spent by an employee performing activities which are job-related is potentially "work time." This includes the employee's regular "on the clock" work time, plus "off the clock" time spent performing job-related activities (which benefit the employer). Potential ...

Fair Line Rate
Feb 17, 2013

Can someone give me what the fair line rate is for straight typing?  I was paid an hourly rate in my previous position, eliminated due to Dragon, and now looking for work.  I have been offered 9 cents per line, straight typing, no ESL.  I did some searching and it looked like 9 to 18 cents per line, but that's an Internet search, so not credible.  Thanks!  Going to take the position, because I think I can do okay.  Not the big checks, I'm used to, but see ...

What Is A Fair Hourly Rate?
Mar 29, 2014

Can anybody please tell me what is a fair hourly rate for a transcriptionist in a single-doctor office in Texas? The last time I worked as an MT in a clinic was 18 years ago. I then worked for a large hospital and made about $9 more an hour than my highest clinic pay. After getting laid off, I worked for N for a few months and have been out of the MT field for a little over a year. Thanks in advance! ...

Where Your Lost MQ Wages Are Going
Aug 27, 2010

From an article written 2 days ago regarding MQ's settlement of a lawsuit filed by Kaiser against Medquist (which MQ settled for 2 million, by the way):   The company reported net revenues for the three months ended June 30, 2010 as increasing $20.1 million or 25.9 percent to $97.5 million compared to $77.5 million for the three months ended June 30, 2009. ...

WAGES-other Questions
Feb 27, 2011

I have been an MT for over 10 years for a hosital.  I am considering working for Medquist.  I currently make 19 per hour but my job is going away. I know   I can produce about 1700 lines per day mostly ISR work. Questions: How much does MQ pay per line for ISR (voice recognition) reports. Also what is the minimum work they require (lines per day). Do they pay PTO for part time? Do you get any incentives for weekend work?   How often do you run out of work? How m ...

No Raises In MT Wages
May 10, 2011

Is anyone else fed up with the fact that the wages for MTs never go up?  It has been the same low rate for years!  ...