A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

paid 0.25 hour breaks x2? - readytoretire

Posted: Jul 11, 2013

In my state, there are supposed to be 2 paid 15-minute breaks if one works 8 hours.  I questioned my company HR about this and was told "there was a slight amount added to our line rate"  to cover this.  What??  how is that a break.  I am wondering: 

1.  How many companies do this?  

2.  Do any pay for the 15-minute break?

3.  How many states honor this?  (check with your state Labor Relations Board). ?  ]

4.  Is there a legal issue here, something that could have a class action law suit?  

I am tired of having so many things removed from us in this career, all of which amount to less pay.  

Does anyone have more knowledge about this?  Perhaps it is wishful thinking on my part, but if we are supposed to be compensated, that is 2.5 hours a week, per 8 hour shifts.  

feeling the pain too. - done with

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told the same thing too. It's figured into your pay. What a joke. My state does not happen to have the law. My labor dept said it is up to the company how they pay you for your breaks. It adds up to quite a substantial amount over the course of a year and worth pursuing if your state labor dept would pursue it for you.

How is all of that figured into pay? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Headers, footers, patient demographics, copies, research, and now breaks are all figured into our pay? What did our pay start out as, -0.05 per line?

When they hire us at 4 cpl for editing, there is NOTHING figured in. How on earth can the prove that?

I have no idea. - how they figure it

[ In Reply To ..]
I was hired at 4.5 cpl and decreased twice down to 4.0 and they still say that it's figured into our pay. I told them that it doesn't make any sense, which they agreed with, and told me that is the way it is. Great answer huh? I could not get them pinned down to an answer or a breakdown or anything that could show how we are paid for those 2 PAID breaks they stated in our employee handbook we are entitled to receive. If we were paid hourly then, of course, we don't clock out we get paid. But being production, unless we are keying lines on the keyboard we are not being paid. So, if your state law requires paid breaks, if I were you, I would definitely look into this. and show them your employee handbook. Good luck. My state does not require breaks.

It's not that's a lie. - Despicable Them

[ In Reply To ..]
Production is simply that - a product of what you produce. There is no magic hidden formula in your production pay to compensate for the 1/2 hour break time.

They figure if you make OVER the manadatory minimum wage you've earned 15 minutes break, and if you haven't produced more than minimum wage, oh well, tough noogies. :)

Wage & Hour laws apply to the state you work FROM - FYI

[ In Reply To ..]
If you were to file a complaint, it has to be in the state you work out of not the state you work from.

I found that out recently when I hired an attorney to sue for breach of contract and filed a complaint with Wage & Hour on this company. It had to be the state where the company operates from, which would make sense that they would have to comply with the laws of the state the company operates in.

Labor laws by state - Mary

[ In Reply To ..]
I also filed a claim against an employer and since I was an employee, not an IC, the state I lived in had jurisdiction. If you are an IC and there is a breach of contract the state the company is located has jurisdiction. You can easily get an answer from your local labor board, most have e-mail contact on their webpage.

paid 0.25 - Tess

[ In Reply To ..]
Here are some links to the federal guideline on breaks
http://www.dol.gov/compliance/topics/wages-other-breaks.htm

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/rest.htm

Sorry I don't know how to post a link to where it will just open for you. Good luck and keep asking for what you deserve.

Similar Messages:

Paid Breaks
May 27, 2015

Has anyone every received an employee handbook?  I found this quite interesting, especially the part about state compliance with paid breaks.  I am sure the labor commissioner is going to love that sentence stating taking breaks may affect your MUP/benefit eligibility/weekly hour requirements.  How are they going to explain how this is a paid break? "MEALS/REST BREAKS Employees that are scheduled to work more than six consecutive hours are entitled to two 15 minute paid break periods and ...

Paid Lunch Breaks
Dec 27, 2012

In the training, it said that we get 2 paid 15 minutes breaks in a 6 hour shift.  How is that figured?  It is automatic? ...

California Paid Breaks
Apr 09, 2015

California is one of the few states that require paid breaks.  The way Nuance ignores this is illegal.  Does anyone have any experience with pushing this issue? ...

There Was Talk Of CA Employees Not Getting Paid Breaks.
May 13, 2015

Has anyone filed a wage claim yet?  Just curious how that is going.  ...

Paid By The Hour?
Nov 26, 2011

There is a local position here in town for $15 an hour doing medical transcription.  It's with an individual office.  Maybe too good to be true?  I'm working for an MTSO right now and will be switched over to editing soon.  A pay-by-the-hour job sounds great, but I'm wondering about the drawbacks... ...

Paid By The Hour
May 17, 2012

I've worked on a new MT job for a week and it is paid by the hour. Their software keeps track of the time. The platform works fast too. I really like this job and it takes some of the pressure off to make lines. It is straight typing now and will go to VR soon and the pay does not change. Didn't know MT jobs existed like this one but sure glad I found it. ...

Are We Paid For The 2 Hour Tutorial? NM
Sep 05, 2010

nm ...

"Paid" Breaks... Again...
Apr 05, 2013

It's pretty obvious that we are not being paid for our "paid" breaks to which we are entitled which really irks me to say the least.  Have any of you done the math on this? I just did.  If you took your 2 breaks per day and were paid for them, that would be equal to 1/2 hour of paid time. Let's just say you make $8/hr. That's equal to $4/day in paid breaks or $20/week if you work 5 days/wk.  Multiply this x52 weeks = $1040/yr. I've been with Nuance since they b ...

What Are The Pros/cons Of Being Paid By The Hour
Jan 01, 2011

I am a newer mt and was just wondering what are the pros and cons of being paid by the hour versus by the line?   TIA ...

Would You Rather Be Paid $14 An Hour, 40 Hours A Week Or Production At 8 Cpl? Sm
Jun 06, 2012

I have been offered both, but I'm not sure what to do. ...

Experienced MTs; Paid By The Line Or By The Audio Hour?
Jun 11, 2013

I've been an MT for over 5 years and have always been paid by the line. I would think that most MTs preferred wage is to be paid a set amount per hour.  If this were not an option, what has given you more of an income, paid by the line or by the AUDIO hour?  What I'm currently being offered per audio hour comes out to less than what I was paid per line at my previous job, but the reports are easier to understand so it may be worth it.  It is basically both ...

HOW OFTEN DO YOU TAKE BREAKS?
Nov 10, 2009

When you guys type how often do you take breaks?  Do you find that if you take frequent breaks - say every hour or hour and a half for about 5 minutes that you are more productive?  Or do you sit and type for more than 2 hours straight without stopping?  Just wondering how often others take breaks.  This was also one of the "tips" given by the top producers of the company according to MQ.  They claimed these folks took frequent breaks but went hard at it for an hour or s ...

Sentence Breaks
Nov 12, 2009

Hello to all MT posters- - Am wondering about tips about sentence breaks and comma use. Any advice/guidelines when the doctor is running fast and sentence breaks and paragraphing don't seem obvious? -Thanks to the MT's that give advise in a  professional manner. So many of the newbie posts hit right at home. -Still waiting for my AIM internship to start. Has anyone interned with AIM?   Diane   ...

Regarding Breaks In Certain States
Nov 14, 2009

I lost the email, but supposedly I get a 10-minute break after 4 hours. Do I clock out of DQS but stay clocked on at ScheduleSource or do I stay logged onto both and walk away from the computer for 10 minutes? Does it show up on the time card or only on the pay stub. Does anyone know the details? Thank you. ...

Re PTO Taxes, Breaks
Jul 03, 2012

ok here's the dirt from payroll. If you are paid a lump sum such as PTO, the IRS  considers it "supplemental" and taxes it at 25%! So, if you're considering leaving, best to take all the PTO you have before. Wish I would have known that before. As far as paid breaks, I didn't realize it was "state" dependent...so thanks for that information. Cudos for KY this time requiring a break after 4 hours.  Either way, it would not have mattered to me as I took a break whenev ...

Bathroom Breaks, Etc.
May 13, 2015

I have recently stopped punching in and out for bathroom breaks, coffee, stretching, etc., because in the work place no one has to punch out to use the bathroom, etc. I feel this is very unfair to expect us to punch in and out to use the bathroom. Anyone else? ...

Rest Breaks
May 15, 2015

Does M*Modal pay for rest breaks? ...

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

Just Wondering What You Make Per Hour, Based On A 40-hour Week...sm
Jul 26, 2013

I know none of us get paid by the hour, but I was just wondering if any of you have ever figured out just how much you earn per hour, based on a 40-hour week. I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in. I seem to be earning $16-18/hour give or take based on how my week goes.  ...

Tax Breaks For Companies That OFFSHORE!
Jan 28, 2010

Anybody rejoicing over the fact that we may be finally stopping the offshoring of jobs overseas? I think we should have a party! ...

MQ, Federal Government And Tax Breaks
Mar 13, 2010

After seeing CBay's lovely employee website extolling the awards they will bestoweth upon any Indian who works for them, I was wondering.  Looking at the the enless football field size rooms of computers, (many, many, many computers), desks, chairs, headphones, the brand-new buildings themselves, the exercise room with top notch expensive exericise equipment, the yoga teacher, the buses used to transport them to and from work, the workers hired to drive those buses, the free medi ...

Has Anyone Got An Answer On How To Document Breaks?
Jun 22, 2015

.. ...

When Clocking Out For Breaks, How Do You Make Up Time?
Oct 21, 2013

If I clock out to go to the bathroom, how do I make up the time and stay within my "scheduled hours"?  Just wondering how everyone else works this out.  Apparently, they no have a perfomance checker to correlate when clocked in and actually on what you are doing in DQM now.  Also, does anyone know how to check the time worked in DQM? ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...

Average Per Hour With 0.75 Or 0.375 Versus $12.00 Per Hour
Mar 31, 2014

My transcription job was always paid by the hour. I was laid off and they recently offered me a temp position with them making $12.00 an hour.  I was also offered a positon that pays 7.5 and 3.5 cpl.  The $12.00 is employee status for a small local company I worked for over 9 years.  The other is an IC position.  Do you think I would make more with the $12.00 an hour or the per line production rate?  I have never done production by line work so I'm not sur ...

Is $14 Per Hour Too Low For QA Pay?
Dec 15, 2009

NM ...

$4.22 An Hour
Aug 06, 2010

Today I made $4.22 in one hour, doing one report; however, I am not entirely disgruntled. I only left one blank and have a sample for next time. There is a sense of accomplishment when you figure out the blanks after extensive researching online. ...

$10 An Hour
Sep 24, 2010

I need to find a job that averages more than $10 an hour. I have 20 years' experience in med trans and am a fast typist, but with the slow platforms and the constant "breakdowns" and being out of work, I am only averaging $10 an hour. Another problem is my line counts have dropped from 250 per hour to around 100 and cannot figure out why.  Any ideas?  Thanks ...

Best Hour EVER
Oct 19, 2010

I've been doing MT forEVER.  Today I pushed the envelope as hard as I could and I transcribed 734 lines in one hour.  I was totally "on," dictators were great, and being in the zone helps.  I doubt I will ever replicate it, my hands are still trembly! LOL!  But I wanted to see what I could do. Nice to still get some firsts after a lifetime in this field and firsts that are positives, not negatives! ...

$3 An Hour
Dec 02, 2010

So I have been working for a few months now but it is so hard to increase my line count. First of all quality comes before quantity, but I also have so many different physicians that it seems impossible to increase my line count. I also have a lot of ESL docs, but I do prefer them over a doc who mumbles. Right now I am making about 3-4 bucks an hour. It stinks. Would you work for that amount?? ...