A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

HOW OFTEN DO YOU TAKE BREAKS? - iluvrainydaze47

Posted: Nov 10, 2009

When you guys type how often do you take breaks?  Do you find that if you take frequent breaks - say every hour or hour and a half for about 5 minutes that you are more productive?  Or do you sit and type for more than 2 hours straight without stopping?  Just wondering how often others take breaks.  This was also one of the "tips" given by the top producers of the company according to MQ.  They claimed these folks took frequent breaks but went hard at it for an hour or so at a time. 

breaks - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I actually takes breaks whenever I feel the need to do so, usually every 1-2 hours, as long as I'm not behind with my lines. However, I also now get an official 10 minute paid break every 3-1/2 hours of work. I don't clock out for any breaks. I've read posts where some folks actually clock in and out for all breaks, regardless of how little time used is. I don't feel the need to do this. I've been with MQ for 7 years without any problems with the way I take my breaks. I don't think MQ cares one way or the other as long as you meet your lines. All they seem to care about is production.

what breaks - drumstick

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not know we were allowed to take breaks. I was told that my state did not allow for breaks so I work 8 hours straight, then take my break of 1/2 hour before my next job.

So, some of you others just take 10 minutes to walk around while still being punched in? Others punch out and then end up working longer than 8 hours?

what breaks - drumstick - iluvrainydaze47

[ In Reply To ..]
So, you are saying you never get up to go to the bathroom or get something to eat or drink? How do you do that? LOL. I get up about every 1-2 hours and use the bathroom (if I need to) and get a drink and/or something to eat. One of my former supervisors told us to clock out every time we needed to be away for a few minutes, even if it meant clocking out several times a day. She claimed this would make a difference in our line counts - more productive versus not clocking out and taking a few minutes break. And yes, those minutes you take for your break have to made up if you clock out. If you don't clock out and are OK with your line counts then there is nothing to make up at the end of the day.

what breaks - drumstick

[ In Reply To ..]
Um, yeah... I get up to go to the bathroom. That is it.
I do not prepare food, refill drinks, let my dogs out, make a phone call, type on a chat board, file my nails, do laundry, wash dishes, vacuum or any other duties but work.
Apparently you take a lot of breaks to type a lot of posts on this board. How do you get any work done?
what breaks - iluvrainydaze47
[ In Reply To ..]
No need to be rude! Did I say I did dishes or filed my nails or let the dog out? I don't have an indoor dog by the way. Why are you assuming all of these things??? For your information I only get on this board during my time off. I am not scheduled to go into work until 10 a.m. this morning and I get on here sometimes at night after work. SO DO NOT ASSUME THINGS ABOUT ME!!! OKAY!! It must be nice to never have to eat or drink! Sorry, but I am a human being who needs these things!
did not assume - drumstick
[ In Reply To ..]
Did not assume... Made a blanket statement.

You don't post while working? I guess you only work from 10 to 1 then, cause the times are right there after every post.

I think you were rude first, by the way assuming I NEVER go to the bathroom and HOW DO I DO THAT was your comment.

did not assume - iluvrainydaze47
[ In Reply To ..]
My work schedule is not any of your business. You should only concern be concerned with your own schedule. If you choose to sit and not get up for 8 hours then that is your problem and your prerogative. In your original post you said you didn't get up for 8 hours. My first comment to you was not intended to be rude or nasty, but more of a joking nature. Sorry you took it that way.
Not hourly employees - trr
[ In Reply To ..]
Considering we get paid by the lines we type and not hourly, I would say that if you can make your line count quota and do your job correctly, then taking a break and throwing in a load of clothes to give your mind a break is okay since we are not hourly paid employees. I only work 4 hours at a time and take as many breaks as I need to.
breaks - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Everybody takes breaks. Clock out or stay clocked in, your choice. Of course, if you can't get your lines in, you may need to work longer than your shift. However, only do that if you've clocking out for breaks. You don't want unapproved OT.

The only reason I can truly see for clocking off to take breaks would be your line count is behind. In this case, you need to get the break time spent back so you can get in more lines.

I'm pretty sure none of the corporate folks clock out for any of their breaks, though.

It's not wrong to take breaks and just a few minutes can really help you revigorate.
breaks - sm - iluvrainydaze47
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. I don't see how anyone could possibly sit 8 hours a day with no break, but if a person can do that, more power to ya!!! If I didn't get up periodically, I would not be able to walk the next day.

I'm stupid about it - Viking Fan

[ In Reply To ..]
I'll sit in my chair for 5-6 hours before getting up and stretching. I walk my dogs in the morning and at lunch, so there's really no need to get up unless my bladder can't take it anymore or if I need something to drink. I'm getting arthritis and already have several bulging lumbar disks. I should get up once an hour and stretch.

Tsk tsk.

Does sitting too long cause bulging disks? sm - Mamma Mia

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm curious because I have several too but never related it to my job

bulging disks - sure

[ In Reply To ..]
If you sit all day and not get up at all, that keeps constant pressure on the disks and they will eventually give way if they don't get the pressure off them once in a while. Need to keep moving so the disk keep moving and the fluid moves between them and not cause any problems.

Disks - Viking fan

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think so. I've had the bulging disks for a few years now. I underwent a lengthy work up for bad chronic back pain and they found the disks on the MRI. Nobody could help me. Then, my uterus prolapsed. Never mind that when it was inside, it was retroverted and I always had backaches because of that. Well, over that 2 years of excruciating back pain, a fibroid was growing larger and larger on the posterior aspect of my uterus and the doc said it was pressing dicrectly on my spine. I was ready to go see if I could have spinal surgery.

breaks - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I take multiple breaks during my 6 hour day. I clock out for anything more than 5 minutes. I have been doing this for the past 2 years as it is the only way for me to continue to do this job. I now have a herniated lumbar disk, arthritis in my back and hands, fibromyalgia and elbow tendinitis. Unfortunately, I believe all these problems are directly related to being an MT for the past 12 years. It is slowly killing me physically. My breaks consist mainly of lying flat on the floor of my office as well as stretching. My desk is stocked with Biofreeze and a TENS unit, ice packs, etc. It's a good thing I work from home because I cannot see being able to work this way in any other office situation. I definitely recommend taking multiple shorts breaks, especially if you are new to this occupation...if only to prevent eye strain, back strain and sanity if you work for the Q;) I would have never thought that 2 years ago my body would have begun to break down as it has, and I'm not even 40 yet:( Take those breaks!!

I can remember when I worked in an office and actually got 2 paid 15 minute breaks a day, sm - lh

[ In Reply To ..]
the only breaks I take now are if there is a phone call, let the dog out, get another cup of coffee or tea, let the dog in, go to the bathroom, but going to the bathroom was paid for too when I worked in an office, I didn't have to clock in or out to do that.

Similar Messages:

Sentence Breaks
Nov 12, 2009

Hello to all MT posters- - Am wondering about tips about sentence breaks and comma use. Any advice/guidelines when the doctor is running fast and sentence breaks and paragraphing don't seem obvious? -Thanks to the MT's that give advise in a  professional manner. So many of the newbie posts hit right at home. -Still waiting for my AIM internship to start. Has anyone interned with AIM?   Diane   ...

Regarding Breaks In Certain States
Nov 14, 2009

I lost the email, but supposedly I get a 10-minute break after 4 hours. Do I clock out of DQS but stay clocked on at ScheduleSource or do I stay logged onto both and walk away from the computer for 10 minutes? Does it show up on the time card or only on the pay stub. Does anyone know the details? Thank you. ...

Re PTO Taxes, Breaks
Jul 03, 2012

ok here's the dirt from payroll. If you are paid a lump sum such as PTO, the IRS  considers it "supplemental" and taxes it at 25%! So, if you're considering leaving, best to take all the PTO you have before. Wish I would have known that before. As far as paid breaks, I didn't realize it was "state" dependent...so thanks for that information. Cudos for KY this time requiring a break after 4 hours.  Either way, it would not have mattered to me as I took a break whenev ...

Bathroom Breaks, Etc.
May 13, 2015

I have recently stopped punching in and out for bathroom breaks, coffee, stretching, etc., because in the work place no one has to punch out to use the bathroom, etc. I feel this is very unfair to expect us to punch in and out to use the bathroom. Anyone else? ...

Rest Breaks
May 15, 2015

Does M*Modal pay for rest breaks? ...

Paid Breaks
May 27, 2015

Has anyone every received an employee handbook?  I found this quite interesting, especially the part about state compliance with paid breaks.  I am sure the labor commissioner is going to love that sentence stating taking breaks may affect your MUP/benefit eligibility/weekly hour requirements.  How are they going to explain how this is a paid break? "MEALS/REST BREAKS Employees that are scheduled to work more than six consecutive hours are entitled to two 15 minute paid break periods and ...

Tax Breaks For Companies That OFFSHORE!
Jan 28, 2010

Anybody rejoicing over the fact that we may be finally stopping the offshoring of jobs overseas? I think we should have a party! ...

MQ, Federal Government And Tax Breaks
Mar 13, 2010

After seeing CBay's lovely employee website extolling the awards they will bestoweth upon any Indian who works for them, I was wondering.  Looking at the the enless football field size rooms of computers, (many, many, many computers), desks, chairs, headphones, the brand-new buildings themselves, the exercise room with top notch expensive exericise equipment, the yoga teacher, the buses used to transport them to and from work, the workers hired to drive those buses, the free medi ...

Paid Lunch Breaks
Dec 27, 2012

In the training, it said that we get 2 paid 15 minutes breaks in a 6 hour shift.  How is that figured?  It is automatic? ...

Paid 0.25 Hour Breaks X2?
Jul 11, 2013

In my state, there are supposed to be 2 paid 15-minute breaks if one works 8 hours.  I questioned my company HR about this and was told "there was a slight amount added to our line rate"  to cover this.  What??  how is that a break.  I am wondering:  1.  How many companies do this?   2.  Do any pay for the 15-minute break? 3.  How many states honor this?  (check with your state Labor Relations Board). ?  ] 4.  Is there a legal ...

California Paid Breaks
Apr 09, 2015

California is one of the few states that require paid breaks.  The way Nuance ignores this is illegal.  Does anyone have any experience with pushing this issue? ...

Has Anyone Got An Answer On How To Document Breaks?
Jun 22, 2015

.. ...

When Clocking Out For Breaks, How Do You Make Up Time?
Oct 21, 2013

If I clock out to go to the bathroom, how do I make up the time and stay within my "scheduled hours"?  Just wondering how everyone else works this out.  Apparently, they no have a perfomance checker to correlate when clocked in and actually on what you are doing in DQM now.  Also, does anyone know how to check the time worked in DQM? ...

There Was Talk Of CA Employees Not Getting Paid Breaks.
May 13, 2015

Has anyone filed a wage claim yet?  Just curious how that is going.  ...

"Paid" Breaks... Again...
Apr 05, 2013

It's pretty obvious that we are not being paid for our "paid" breaks to which we are entitled which really irks me to say the least.  Have any of you done the math on this? I just did.  If you took your 2 breaks per day and were paid for them, that would be equal to 1/2 hour of paid time. Let's just say you make $8/hr. That's equal to $4/day in paid breaks or $20/week if you work 5 days/wk.  Multiply this x52 weeks = $1040/yr. I've been with Nuance since they b ...